Can one pull out a nail with a hammer?

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Can one pull out a nail with a hammer?

#101  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 07, 2010 4:57 am

paarsurrey wrote:
As for God Allah YHWH; He does things with wisdom which is reflected in his creation; naturally evolved with His command. He would do a thing if He wills; not without a purpose. He created still life, botanical life, animal life and the human life , with a definite purpose; not as a sport.

Like the giraffe's recurrent laryngeal nerve, you mean?

My theory is that the only reason you can write the above sentence is because you are largely ignorant of the natural world around you - you assert there is design where none is apparent if you actually do the requisite study before making claims.

It's manifestly apparent that no Beings made life here on Earth nor controlled its diffusion. It's manifestly apparent that religionists who claim otherwise have bugger all supporting evidence for their claims. It's manifestly apparent that religion is an outdated method of describing the world and that the modern body of science supercedes any religious explanation. As you said that the Quran is not a science book, why are you making scientific claims about the nature of reality?

Typical creationist double think.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#102  Postby hackenslash » Mar 07, 2010 10:25 pm

paarsurrey wrote:I mean by respect here only to listen peacefully.

Sorry, but your preposterous beliefs are not worthy of respect, only scorn and derision.

One should not be aggressive;

And you became a moderator when? I will argue in whatever way I see fit within the confines of the FUA. You should keep this drivel to yourself.

if one notices that there is something wrong out there, one should refute it with reason, rationality and logical arguments; never with emotion, derision or ridiculing.

I do refute your vacuous wankery with reason, rationality and logical arguments. I never employ emotion, because it serves no purpose. I will, however, employ derision and ridicule, especially when dealing with that which is derisory or ridiculous, because that's precisely the correct way to deal with such fuckwittery.

I think that is OK. Do you agree with me?

I'll give you three guesses.

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

And I wear an Armani suit, so fucking what?
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#103  Postby campermon » Mar 07, 2010 10:36 pm

I'm persistently being disappointed by the lack of DIY tips being shared in this thread.

:coffee:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#104  Postby Onyx8 » Mar 07, 2010 11:19 pm

campermon wrote:I'm persistently being disappointed by the lack of DIY tips being shared in this thread.

:coffee:

Hire a professional.

Like me. :thumbup: :thumbup:
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#105  Postby MrFungus420 » Mar 08, 2010 8:37 am

paarsurrey wrote:For Ethics, Morals and Spiritual guidance the proper tool is Word of Revelation from God Allah YHWH.

Make up your mind. Which god is it? The Jewish god, the Christian god and the Islamic god have such different characteristics that it is illogical and dishonest to try to claim that they are the same being.

Furthermore, I find many, if not most, of the teachings of the Torah, the Bible and the Koran to be intolerant, evil and immoral. It is only by picking and choosing that any sort of moral guidelines can be found in them. And those guidelines that you choose to pull out of the morass of holy writings are those behaviors that have evolved with changing society.

paarsurrey wrote:The Mill of the "Scientific Method" is a clumsy tool in this connection.

So what? At least it is a tool with functionality. It is a tool that allows us to examine our morals and change them if we determine that we were wrong (such as in the case of slavery).

What you are proposing is following the dictates of a book. Dictates that are not subject to evaluation or revision. Dictates that some people claim come from a super-powerful magical being.

So, a tool that is functional, if clumsy, versus no tool at all.

paarsurrey wrote:Further, Quran does not claim to be a Book of Physics or Chemistry or Biology etc; it is for guidance of the human beings in matters Ethical, Moral and Spiritual.

And it fails just as miserably as an ethical, moral and spiritual guide as it does as physics, chemistry or biology textbook.
Atheism alone is no more a religion than health is a disease. One may as well argue over which brand of car pedestrians drive.
- AronRa
MrFungus420

Print view this post

#106  Postby MoonLit » Mar 08, 2010 10:18 am

NineOneFour wrote:
paarsurrey wrote:Hi friends Non-Theists and Theists

I think one cannot pull out a nail gone completely inside the wood with a hammer. Humans need proper tools to accomplish a job.

Do you agree with me.

Thanks

NO I AM AN AHMADI PEACEFUL MUSLIM

NO, I AM!

:rofl:

Right carry on. I'm just watching, trying to figure out what this thread is about exactly. The OP has already been answered anyways. :scratch:
Image Image Image Image
Click the eggs please!
MoonLit
RS Donator

Name: Andi
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#107  Postby z8000783 » Mar 08, 2010 10:37 am

paarsurrey wrote:
z8000783 wrote:Hi again, glad you found your way here, seems like we got cut off of mid flow on RDF.
paarsurrey wrote:I think that is very good. Like you referred to with your sentence “So you do slay the unbelievers wherever you find them?”
I don’t slay anybody; that is not a general statement for every unbeliever in the world. It was specific for the Meccans who were at war with Muslims in the time of Muhammad.

I was just wondering what are you referring to here that was specific to the Meccans?

John

Hi friend z8000783

Our friend UnderConstruction wrote:
“So you do slay the unbelievers wherever you find them?”

He was referring to much quoted verses of Quran in the West; out of context though; verse # 4:89/90 and 9:5/6.

I explained that the context does not make it a general statement for every disbelievers but a specific statement befitting the Meccans of that time only who were at war with Muhammad, and the situation at hand; and as such it was truly rational.

If one sees the above verses together with the five preceding and five following verses for the context; the matter becomes obvious.

You may verify it yourself; no compulsion however.

Thanks

Hi again, hope you are well. Sorry for the delay getting but perhaps you could help me.

I have looked at these and can't quite see the context you speak off, could you point it out please?

[4:84] You shall fight for the cause of GOD; you are responsible only for your own soul, and exhort the believers to do the same. GOD will neutralize the power of those who disbelieve. GOD is much more powerful, and much more effective.

[4:85] Whoever mediates a good deed receives a share of the credit thereof, and whoever mediates an evil work, incurs a share thereof. GOD controls all things.

[4:86] When greeted with a greeting, you shall respond with a better greeting or at least an equal one. GOD reckons all things.

[4:87] GOD: there is no god except He. He will surely summon you on the Day of Resurrection - the inevitable day. Whose narration is more truthful than GOD's?

[4:88] Why should you divide yourselves into two groups regarding hypocrites (among you)? GOD is the one who condemned them because of their own behavior. Do you want to guide those who are sent astray by GOD? Whomever GOD sends astray, you can never find a way to guide them.

[4:89] They wish that you disbelieve as they have disbelieved, then you become equal. Do not consider them friends, unless they mobilize along with you in the cause of GOD. If they turn against you, you shall fight them, and you may kill them when you encounter them in war. You shall not accept them as friends, or allies.

[4:90] Exempted are those who join people with whom you have signed a peace treaty, and those who come to you wishing not to fight you, nor fight their relatives. Had GOD willed, He could have permitted them to fight against you. Therefore, if they leave you alone, refrain from fighting you, and offer you peace, then GOD gives you no excuse to fight them.

[4:91] You will find others who wish to make peace with you, and also with their people. However, as soon as war erupts, they fight against you. Unless these people leave you alone, offer you peace, and stop fighting you, you may fight them when you encounter them. Against these, we give you a clear authorization.

[4:92] No believer shall kill another believer, unless it is an accident. If one kills a believer by accident, he shall atone by freeing a believing slave, and paying a compensation to the victim's family, unless they forfeit such a compensation as a charity. If the victim belonged to people who are at war with you, though he was a believer, you shall atone by freeing a believing slave. If he belonged to people with whom you have signed a peace treaty, you shall pay the compensation in addition to freeing a believing slave. If you cannot find a slave to free, you shall atone by fasting two consecutive months, in order to be redeemed by GOD. GOD is Knower, Most Wise.

[4:93] Anyone who kills a believer on purpose, his retribution is Hell, wherein he abides forever, GOD is angry with him, and condemns him, and has prepared for him a terrible retribution.

[4:94] O you who believe, if you strike in the cause of GOD, you shall be absolutely sure. Do not say to one who offers you peace, "You are not a believer," seeking the spoils of this world. For GOD possesses infinite spoils. Remember that you used to be like them, and GOD blessed you. Therefore, you shall be absolutely sure (before you strike). GOD is fully Cognizant of everything you do.

[4:95] Not equal are the sedentary among the believers who are not handicapped, and those who strive in the cause of GOD with their money and their lives. GOD exalts the strivers with their money and their lives above the sedentary. For both, GOD promises salvation, but GOD exalts the strivers over the sedentary with a great recompense.

[9:1] An ultimatum is herein issued from GOD and His messenger to the idol worshipers who enter into a treaty with you.

[9:2] Therefore, roam the earth freely for four months, and know that you cannot escape from GOD, and that GOD humiliates the disbelievers.

[9:3] A proclamation is herein issued from GOD and His messenger to all the people on the great day of pilgrimage, that GOD has disowned the idol worshipers, and so did His messenger. Thus, if you repent, it would be better for you. But if you turn away, then know that you can never escape from GOD. Promise those who disbelieve a painful retribution.

[9:4] If the idol worshipers sign a peace treaty with you, and do not violate it, nor band together with others against you, you shall fulfill your treaty with them until the expiration date. GOD loves the righteous.

[9:5] Once the Sacred Months are past, (and they refuse to make peace) you may kill the idol worshipers when you encounter them, punish them, and resist every move they make. If they repent and observe the Contact Prayers (Salat) and give the obligatory charity (Zakat), you shall let them go. GOD is Forgiver, Most Merciful.

[9:6] If one of the idol worshipers sought safe passage with you, you shall grant him safe passage, so that he can hear the word of GOD, then send him back to his place of security. That is because they are people who do not know.

[9:7] How can the idol worshipers demand any pledge from GOD and from His messenger? Exempted are those who have signed a peace treaty with you at the Sacred Masjid. If they honor and uphold such a treaty, you shall uphold it as well. GOD loves the righteous.

[9:8] How can they (demand a pledge) when they never observed any rights of kinship between you and them, nor any covenant, if they ever had a chance to prevail. They pacified you with lip service, while their hearts were in opposition, and most of them are wicked.

[9:9] They traded away GOD's revelations for a cheap price. Consequently, they repulsed the people from His path. Miserable indeed is what they did!

[9:10] They never observe any rights of kinship towards any believer, nor do they uphold their covenants; these are the real transgressors.

[9:11] If they repent and observe the Contact Prayers (Salat) and give the obligatory charity (Zakat), then they are your brethren in religion. We thus explain the revelations for people who know.

I was under the perhaps mistaken impression, that the Quran was for all people and for all times. I didn't realise that some parts were context specific and relate to that particular time. So my question is, are there other parts of the Quran that might not apply to our situation today? If so I would be interested to know what criteria you use to identify those particular parts.

Thanks for you patients.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#108  Postby UnderConstruction » Mar 08, 2010 1:44 pm

^^ Glad I'm not the only one who cannot see it (although that is also evidenced by things like there being two less towers on the New York skyline these days).

So then Paarsurrey, since whatever it is that you classify as "common sense" seems to be a bit thinner on the ground here than you previously suggested, perhaps you could educate us?
"Origins from God/Genesis are secular actually as we see it." - Robert Byers
UnderConstruction

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#109  Postby HughMcB » Mar 08, 2010 6:02 pm

paarsurrey wrote:
HughMcB wrote:What about the billions of people who subscribe to none of these, or indeed the hundreds of millions to no God at all, are they immoral/unethical?

I don't say that they are wholly immoral or unethical.

Parrsurrey, you actually did state this very thing I mentioned.

Can you not make one point and stick to it? Is this apologetics bullshit?

You wrote:
paarsurrey wrote:For Ethics, Morals and Spiritual guidance the proper tool is Word of Revelation from God Allah YHWH.

I asked what about those people who subscribe to none of these, where do they get their morals/ethics.

If you're stating that the are not immoral or unethical then you have just undermined your own premise. Can we stop this nonsense thread now?
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#110  Postby debunk » Mar 09, 2010 12:30 am

paarsurrey wrote:
I mean by respect here only to listen peacefully. One should not be aggressive; if one notices that there is something wrong out there, one should refute it with reason, rationality and logical arguments; never with emotion, derision or ridiculing.

I think that is OK

Then why are you being a condescending prick?
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
debunk

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#111  Postby Spinozasgalt » Mar 09, 2010 3:51 am

***Mod Note***

debunk,

The following post contains a personal attack on another member: post36976.html#p36976

Please read the Forum Users' Agreement. I hereby request that you refrain from these sorts of attacks in future. Further instances of the same may be met with formal warnings and/or other sanctions as per the FUA.

Spinozasgalt

***/Mod Note***
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#112  Postby xrayzed » Mar 09, 2010 3:58 am

paarsurrey wrote:Hi friends Non-Theists and Theists

I think one cannot pull out a nail gone completely inside the wood with a hammer. Humans need proper tools to accomplish a job.

Do you agree with me.

Thanks

Ooh! Ooh! I want to play "I'm all wise and spiritual and mysterious"!

Is it not the case that a cactus inside a jock strap cannot lead to Poland? Only a fish may understand why prophets drink before sleeping.

Do you agree with me.

Thanks

I am xrayzed a person intolerant of meaningless gibberish
A thinking creationist is an oxymoron. A non-thinking creationist is just a moron.
(Source: johannessiig, here)
xrayzed

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#113  Postby HughMcB » Mar 09, 2010 5:35 pm

debunk wrote:
paarsurrey wrote:I mean by respect here only to listen peacefully. One should not be aggressive; if one notices that there is something wrong out there, one should refute it with reason, rationality and logical arguments; never with emotion, derision or ridiculing.

I think that is OK

Probably to get the exact same rise out of you he just did.
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#114  Postby debunk » Mar 09, 2010 6:20 pm

HughMcB wrote:
debunk wrote:
paarsurrey wrote:I mean by respect here only to listen peacefully. One should not be aggressive; if one notices that there is something wrong out there, one should refute it with reason, rationality and logical arguments; never with emotion, derision or ridiculing.

I think that is OK

Probably to get the exact same rise out of you he just did.

Nah, on this occasion my colourful use of language was caused by me being slightly intoxicated ;)
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
debunk

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#115  Postby HughMcB » Mar 09, 2010 6:24 pm

:lol:
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#116  Postby byofrcs » Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

As I have the saying that philosophy without science is pointless and science without engineering is impossible, I would either,

a) Centre-punch the head below the wood and then finish with some filler and repaint/varnish
b) Centre-punch from the OTHER side to punch the head higher and then get some pincers under it,
c) Gouge out the wood around the head and then use a screwdriver to level up the head until pincers or hammerhead can bite,

As Dilbert says, "There is an Engineering solution for everything.".

Edit: Fith speling mithtack 'n pinch to punch
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#117  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 15, 2010 6:55 pm

Why oh why every one of these muslim threads end up the same way

:deadhorse:

It is a complete waste of time.

From: "istiftaa" <istiftaa@wilayah.org> View Contact Details View Contact Details
To: ----------------------------------
Subject: 23390e
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 16:57:11 +0330Salamun `alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu.
With apologies for the delay, the answer is as follows:

Bismihi Ta`ala
In cases that it leads to a vile consequence, the marriage contract is void.

With prayers for your success,
wassalam.

----- Original Message -----
To: "istiftaa" <istiftaa@wilayah.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2005 10:17 PM
Subject: Re: 23240e

Salaam alaykum
If it is known scientifically that engaging in sexual activity with adults can inflict psychological damage in children, would it still be considered halal?

--- istiftaa <istiftaa@wilayah.org> wrote:
> > Salamun `alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu.
> > The answer is as follows:
> > Bismihi Ta`ala
> > As it had been stated in the last answer, if marriage contract is conducted with a non-baaligh girl, it is haraam to have sex with her (be it normal or anal) but kissing her with lust, touching her body, or doing other similar things - whether with or without lust - is permissible. Anyhow, the marriage is invalid unless it falls within the interests of the girl.
> > With prayers for your success,
> > wassalam.
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: ---------------------------------------
> > To: "istiftaa" <istiftaa@wilayah.org>
> > Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 2:50 AM
> > Subject: Re: 23180e
> > Salaam alaykum
> > Jazakallah khayr for the quick response. I would like though an elaboration on your response. By sexual pleasure does that mean all sexual activity besides intercourse and anal sex or things from which sexual pleasure may be derived even though it may not be inherently sexual in nature such as hugging and kissing? Thank you.

> > --- istiftaa <istiftaa@wilayah.org> wrote:
> > > > Salamun `alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu.
> > > > The answer is as follows:
> > > > Bismihi Ta`ala
> > Except for sexual intercourse and anal sex, all other kinds of sexual pleasure are not problem.
With prayers for your success,
wassalam.

> > ----- Original Message -----
> > > > From: ------------------------------
> > > > To: <istiftaa@wilayah.org>
> > > > Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 11:19 AM
> > > > Subject: question on marriage
> >
> > > > Salaam Alaykum
> > > > I understand if a person marries a minor
> > (na-Baligh) girl he may not have sexual intercourse
> > but is it permissible to derive from her other
> > sexual pleasures such as sodomy?

This is the type of thing you up against. How can any normal human being reason with any one who comes from a belief system that thinks like this.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#118  Postby paarsurrey » Mar 17, 2010 12:28 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:How can any normal human being reason with any one who comes from a belief system that thinks like this?

Hi friends

How can any normal human being reason with any one from the Atheists Agnostics who start deriding,ridiculing and resort to foul speech when they don't find reason is supporting them? Or they think themselves safe in a haven where they want a monologue with the Atheists and Agnostics only; and are not ready to discuss with anybody who oppose their wrong concepts!

Thanks
http://paarsurrey.wordpress.com/
We believe:
• Quran- authored by the Creator God; 100% accurate if correctly interpreted
• Sunnah-always existed with Quran; it derives its accuracy from Quran.
• Hadith- accurate only if it does not differ with Quran.
paarsurrey
Banned User

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#119  Postby William.Young » Mar 17, 2010 12:32 pm

Hi friendo,

Why the fuck would I want to discuss with anybody who is already convinced I am wrong before we even start to discuss? :crazy:

Thanks, but no thanks

edit: wording
Last edited by William.Young on Mar 17, 2010 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
William.Young

Print view this post

#120  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 17, 2010 12:34 pm

If you don't want your ideas ridiculing, don't have ridiculous ideas. Or at least don't come on a website specifically to discuss them and then complain when others think there's ridiculous.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Islam