Can one pull out a nail with a hammer?

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Can one pull out a nail with a hammer?

#81  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 06, 2010 2:22 pm

paarsurrey wrote:Hi friend IIzO

Yes, all Revealed Books of all Religons in general and of course Quran also, in my opinion.

Human Society as we find it today has evolved to this stage in which Religion has aslo played a very important part, of course Science also played a part; yet it came at a very late stage. We should respect both Science and Religon; as they deal different realms not contradictory to one another, in my opinion.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

It came at a late stage in the same way that intelligence grows with age. When you are a child, you think as a child with mystical shadows and unknown benefactors, but when you grow up you turn on the lights and pay tax.

In the same way, we had religion and it, at best, provided some kind of order for complex societies... but it was woefully misinformed with respect to facts about the universe. Fortunately we alighted on a better methodology than simply genuflecting our reasoning to a false axiom and since then have improved society with applications that are of universal benefit, unlike religion which is entirely selfish and in hundreds of years failed to provide applications for the betterment of its adherents.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#82  Postby UnderConstruction » Mar 06, 2010 2:26 pm

paarsurrey wrote:
UnderConstruction wrote:if you can provide a reliable method of establishing which rules are to be obeyed today

Hi friend UnderConstruction

It is very simple indeed.

Just use the common sense or the reason, which fortunately Atheists Agnostics have in abundance; only if they use it; just see the context of the verse in question. The short context of the verse is normally found in five preceding and five following verses ; then the matter becomes clear like a daylight. The Extremist/Terrorists are Politicians; they just exploit the people; they don't refer to Quran in such matters.

It is open to everybody; one could see it by testing and verifying it. No harm, no compulsion

Thanks

So, are you saying Muslims are lacking in common sense when they are taken in by this stuff? As much as there may be some value in showing that you are right on a predominantly atheist forum, I would suggest spending more time convincing your fellow Muslims.

Anyways:

http://www.submission.org/suras/sura4.htm

[4:87] GOD: there is no god except He. He will surely summon you on the Day of Resurrection - the inevitable day. Whose narration is more truthful than GOD's?

How to Deal With the Hypocrites

[4:88] Why should you divide yourselves into two groups regarding hypocrites (among you)? GOD is the one who condemned them because of their own behavior. Do you want to guide those who are sent astray by GOD? Whomever GOD sends astray, you can never find a way to guide them.

[4:89] They wish that you disbelieve as they have disbelieved, then you become equal. Do not consider them friends, unless they mobilize along with you in the cause of GOD. If they turn against you, you shall fight them, and you may kill them when you encounter them in war. You shall not accept them as friends, or allies.

[4:90] Exempted are those who join people with whom you have signed a peace treaty, and those who come to you wishing not to fight you, nor fight their relatives. Had GOD willed, He could have permitted them to fight against you. Therefore, if they leave you alone, refrain from fighting you, and offer you peace, then GOD gives you no excuse to fight them.

[4:91] You will find others who wish to make peace with you, and also with their people. However, as soon as war erupts, they fight against you. Unless these people leave you alone, offer you peace, and stop fighting you, you may fight them when you encounter them. Against these, we give you a clear authorization.

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/quran/9/index.htm

9:1 Freedom from obligation (is proclaimed) from Allah and His messenger toward those of the idolaters with whom ye made a treaty.
9:2 Travel freely in the land four months, and know that ye cannot escape Allah and that Allah will confound the disbelievers (in His Guidance).
9:3 And a proclamation from Allah and His messenger to all men on the day of the Greater Pilgrimage that Allah is free from obligation to the idolaters, and (so is) His messenger. So, if ye repent, it will be better for you; but if ye are averse, then know that ye cannot escape Allah. Give tidings (O Muhammad) of a painful doom to those who disbelieve,
9:4 Excepting those of the idolaters with whom ye (Muslims) have a treaty, and who have since abated nothing of your right nor have supported anyone against you. (As for these), fulfil their treaty to them till their term. Lo! Allah loveth those who keep their duty (unto Him).
9:5 Then, when the sacred months have passed, slay the idolaters wherever ye find them, and take them (captive), and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush. But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, then leave their way free. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
9:6 And if anyone of the idolaters seeketh thy protection (O Muhammad), then protect him so that he may hear the Word of Allah, and afterward convey him to his place of safety. That is because they are a folk who know not.
9:7 How can there be a treaty with Allah and with His messenger for the idolaters save those with whom ye made a treaty at the Inviolable Place of Worship ? So long as they are true to you, be true to them. Lo! Allah loveth those who keep their duty.
9:8 How (can there be any treaty for the others) when, if they have the upper hand of you, they regard not pact nor honour in respect of you ? They satisfy you with their mouths the while their hearts refuse. And most of them are wrongdoers.

This all seems pretty vague and open ended to me. It certainly does not name the Meccans explicitly, which in itself ins a source of ambiguity.

So can you please explain, in your own words, which of these you believe makes it 100% crystal clear to anyone with common sense, that this only refers to the Meccans? Perhaps it is a verse I have omitted?
"Origins from God/Genesis are secular actually as we see it." - Robert Byers
UnderConstruction

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#83  Postby William.Young » Mar 06, 2010 2:52 pm

:smoke:

(beaten to the draw by underconstruction)
William.Young

Print view this post

#84  Postby IIzO » Mar 06, 2010 4:53 pm

paarsurrey wrote:
IIzO wrote:...where is the point of the thread ?
the islamic holy book is the best moral compass to lead a "good"(whateveryouwantittomeanactually) life ?
Care to explain why ?

Hi friend IIzO

Yes, all Revealed Books of all Religons in general and of course Quran also, in my opinion.

Human Society as we find it today has evolved to this stage in which Religion has aslo played a very important part, of course Science also played a part; yet it came at a very late stage. We should respect both Science and Religon; as they deal different realms not contradictory to one another, in my opinion.

Thanks

Well i do understand that due to the use of language and human curiosity/imagination myth/explanations of very different natures and consistency exists in human society . Respect ?What is this "respect" supposed to mean?
All that i care about is how do you evaluate holy books/myths has moral compass nothing more nothing less.
Between what i think , what i want to say ,what i believe i say ,what i say , what you want to hear , what you hear ,what you understand...there are lots of possibilities that we might have some problem communicating.But let's try anyway.
Bernard Werber
IIzO

France (fr)
Print view this post

#85  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 06, 2010 4:58 pm

paarsurrey wrote:Hi friends Non-Theists and Theists

I think one cannot pull out a nail gone completely inside the wood with a hammer. Humans need proper tools to accomplish a job.

Do you agree with me.

Thanks

NO I AM AN AHMADI PEACEFUL MUSLIM
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#86  Postby IIzO » Mar 06, 2010 4:59 pm

paarsurrey wrote:
IIzO wrote:...where is the point of the thread ?
The Islamic holy book is the best moral compass to lead a "good"(whatever you want it to mean actually) life?
Care to explain why?

Hi friend IIzO

All Revealed Books of all Religions serve as the moral compass; and of course Quran does it in a beautiful way. Religion has taught morals to the world in all ages; though sometime politicians turned religionists in the name of religion have exploited people other way round. It would be cruel to suggest that religion has not benefitted society; without the Religion, the society would be in chaos, in my opinion.

Thanks

Well there are also non religious ideologies that do not care about the existance of god , there are no reasons to exclude them from the whole as "politics" since POLITICS are actually actions leaded by individuals according to their ideals .
As a moral compass a religions CANNOT BE Apolitical , therefore every believers is an active political agent.
Chaos ? How , why ?Yeah religions (as ideas hold by individuals) cannot be separated from society , as anything else that humans do.
Anyway i still need to understand HOW you evaluate the moral teachings , of Ideologies and religions.Without that we have discussed NOTHING.
Between what i think , what i want to say ,what i believe i say ,what i say , what you want to hear , what you hear ,what you understand...there are lots of possibilities that we might have some problem communicating.But let's try anyway.
Bernard Werber
IIzO

France (fr)
Print view this post

#87  Postby paarsurrey » Mar 06, 2010 5:19 pm

Spearthrower wrote:

I think one cannot pull out a nail gone completely inside the wood with a hammer. Humans need proper tools to accomplish a job.

Do you agree with me.

Thanks

I think you could just smash the wood with the hammer to retrieve the nail, no?

Hi friend Spearthrower

I think your suggestion is not pro-life. We have to save the wood; which is so scarce a commodity. Wood is more important than the nail. Botanical things also have life, though inferior than the animals; even if dead, they usefully serve the animals and the human beings- the end product of life evolved naturally under commandment of the Creator, in my opinion. You may differ with me no compulsion.

I think you agree with me.

Thanks

http://paarsurrey.wordpress.com/
We believe:
• Quran- authored by the Creator God; 100% accurate if correctly interpreted
• Sunnah-always existed with Quran; it derives its accuracy from Quran.
• Hadith- accurate only if it does not differ with Quran.
paarsurrey
Banned User

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#88  Postby paarsurrey » Mar 06, 2010 5:29 pm

Spearthrower wrote: first of all ethics and morality existed long before Muslims.

Hi friend Spearthrower

I agree with you that Ethics, Morality and Spirituality existed before Quran. In fact Science is only a new phenomenon. Ethics, Morality and Spirituality existed very natually even before evolution of Science; so it is not a product of Science either. All Religions much before the dawn of Science; presented these very humane and exalted faculties of life.
Quran only revived and refreshed; it does not claim to have generated them.

I think you agree with me. Don't you.

Thanks

We believe:
paarsurrey
Banned User

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#89  Postby paarsurrey » Mar 06, 2010 5:37 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
You are in search of the truth, but you are a Muslim so you assume you already know the truth.

Hi friend Spearthrower

I don't agree with you.

The correct concept is that Truth is wide from eternity to eternity. While being on truth one has to be always open for others opinions humbly to ascertain still more truth. One cannot afford in reality even once not to support truth; from whatever source and from whomsoever it is received, it should be welcome.

Since I am an ordinary man in the street; I am open to everybody. I am a good listener, I think.

Thanks

We believe:
paarsurrey
Banned User

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#90  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 06, 2010 6:42 pm

paarsurrey wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

Do you agree with me.

Thanks

I think you could just smash the wood with the hammer to retrieve the nail, no?

Hi friend Spearthrower

I think your suggestion is not pro-life. We have to save the wood; which is so scarce a commodity. Wood is more important than the nail. Botanical things also have life, though inferior than the animals; even if dead, they usefully serve the animals and the human beings- the end product of life evolved naturally under commandment of the Creator, in my opinion. You may differ with me no compulsion.

I think you agree with me.

Thanks

Wood's dead Ahmadi... and didn't Allah provide enough wood for us to smash a few things and see how they work?

The iron used in that nail was on the planet far longer, is more finite that wood, which is potentially renewable saving random weather changes occurring over the long-term, or Will of Allah if you so prefer?

Allah didn't make iron grow on trees - probably has a fear of iron chariots, if he's anything like his predecessor.

Seems I don't agree with you.

Thanks
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#91  Postby paarsurrey » Mar 06, 2010 6:55 pm

IIzO wrote:
paarsurrey wrote:We should respect both Science and Religion; as they deal different realms not contradictory to one another, in my opinion.

Well i do understand that due to the use of language and human curiosity/imagination myth/explanations of very different natures and consistency exists in human society . Respect ?What is this "respect" supposed to mean?
All that i care about is how do you evaluate holy books/myths has moral compass nothing more nothing less.

Hi friend IIzO

I think we get reconciled.

I mean by respect here only to listen peacefully. One should not be aggressive; if one notices that there is something wrong out there, one should refute it with reason, rationality and logical arguments; never with emotion, derision or ridiculing.

I think that is OK. Do you agree with me?

Thanks

We believe:
paarsurrey
Banned User

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#92  Postby fossil-fish » Mar 06, 2010 6:59 pm

allah/god/jesus, or whatever you call it, could throw the wood into the fires of hell. Not for eternity, like it does for human beings, but just for long enough for him/her/it to retrieve the nail. Being careful to wear a glove in case he/her/it/they burnt their fingers.

(Don't try this at home)
Last edited by fossil-fish on Mar 06, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
Douglas Adams
fossil-fish

Male

Print view this post

#93  Postby paarsurrey » Mar 06, 2010 7:00 pm

NineOneFour wrote:

Hi friend NineOneFour

I think you mean to say that you are not an Ahmadi and have no intention being one. It is perfectly OK with me; only that one should be with truth and reason.

Please hold fast on you; you need not to convert if you are not convinced; there is no dearth of numbers here.

Thanks

We believe:
paarsurrey
Banned User

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#94  Postby paarsurrey » Mar 06, 2010 7:05 pm

Spearthrower wrote:

Wood's dead Ahmadi... and didn't Allah provide enough wood for us to smash a few things and see how they work?

The iron used in that nail was on the planet far longer, is more finite that wood, which is potentially renewable saving random weather changes occurring over the long-term, or Will of Allah if you so prefer?

Allah didn't make iron grow on trees - probably has a fear of iron chariots, if he's anything like his predecessor.

Thanks

Hi friend Spearthrower

Don't be angry, please. If you use a proper tool; you would save the wood and the nail/iron both. Why spoil a thing for nothing?

It is OK if you don't agree with me.

Thanks
We believe:
paarsurrey
Banned User

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#95  Postby paarsurrey » Mar 06, 2010 7:16 pm

fossil-fish wrote:allah/god/jesus, or whatever you call it, could throw the wood into the fires of hell. Not for eternity, like it does for human beings, but just for long enough for him/her/it to retrieve the nail. Being careful to wear a glove in case he/her/it/they burnt their fingers.

(Don't try this at home)

Hi friend fossil-fish

Wel; Jesus was jut a man, not a god; chosen by God, loved by God; yes he was one of them.

As for God Allah YHWH; He does things with wisdom which is reflected in his creation; naturally evolved with His command. He would do a thing if He wills; not without a purpose. He created still life, botanical life, animal life and the human life , with a definite purpose; not as a sport.

Thanks

We believe:
paarsurrey
Banned User

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#96  Postby fossil-fish » Mar 06, 2010 7:30 pm

paarsurrey wrote:
fossil-fish wrote:allah/god/jesus, or whatever you call it, could throw the wood into the fires of hell. Not for eternity, like it does for human beings, but just for long enough for him/her/it to retrieve the nail. Being careful to wear a glove in case he/her/it/they burnt their fingers.

(Don't try this at home)

Hi friend fossil-fish

Wel; Jesus was jut a man, not a god; chosen by God, loved by God; yes he was one of them.

As for God Allah YHWH; He does things with wisdom which is reflected in his creation; naturally evolved with His command. He would do a thing if He wills; not without a purpose. He created still life, botanical life, animal life and the human life , with a definite purpose; not as a sport.

Thanks

paarsurrey,
My post was intended to show my utter contempt for your opinions and your beliefs. I find your reply to be nonsensical waffle. No figment of the human imagination created any form of life. I do not believe in the existence of any mystical or magical beings and your continual utterances are far from being anything that would even consider me to think otherwise. Your god has neither wisdom or purpose, if it did exist it would be an entity to be defied at all times.
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
Douglas Adams
fossil-fish

Male

Print view this post

#97  Postby tytalus » Mar 06, 2010 9:14 pm

paarsurrey wrote:
tytalus wrote:

It's as if the Muslim recommends that:

• We ignore centuries of experience on the part of society
• The advance of social science
• Democratic forms of government

Paarsurrey, your suggestion on using the Quran will be of more interest.

Hi friend tytalus

No, you could have all of them intact. I don't see any contradiction.

Thanks

Interesting how paarsurrey rearranged and quotemined my remarks to suit him better. This, after all, was the original:

tytalus wrote:It's as if the muslim recommends that we ignore centuries of experience on the part of society, the advance of social science, and democratic forms of government in favor of an old book of fables. Of course, that he means to sneak in assumptions about his god-concept and the reliability of his preferred holy book doesn't help much, either. Perhaps when you've demonstrated those claims, paarsurrey, your suggestion on using the quran will be of more interest.

And he has removed the context of his original remarks, in order to claim that we 'could have all of them'.

paarsurrey wrote:For Ethics, Morals and Spiritual guidance the proper tool is Word of Revelation from God Allah YHWH.

In order to 'have all of them,' this means that paarsurrey's preferred holy book is not in fact the 'proper tool'.

While I expect paarsurrey will likely claim ignorance or ineptitude with the quote function, I think my rearranged post speaks for itself as to his disingenuity. But getting back to the point of my post, that he failed to address, I think Fallible nailed it awhile ago.

Fallible wrote:
paarsurrey wrote:Hi friend Fallible

I think I already explained the reason. I repeat it here; "Further, Quran does not claim to be a Book of Physics or Chemistry or Biology etc; it is for guidance of the human beings in matters Ethical, Moral and Spiritual. It is very much mentioned in the very first chapter of Quran."

In the beginning of the next chapter it is mentioned that it is a certainty; a doubtless one.

Thanks

What I'm getting from your reply is 'The Qu'ran is the proper tool of ethics, morals and spiritual guidance because it says so'.

Might be wishful thinking to hope the argument has advanced beyond that point.
Futurama wrote: Bender: Dying sucks butt. How do you living beings cope with mortality?
Leela: Violent outbursts.
Amy: General slutiness.
Fry: Thanks to denial, I'm immortal.
tytalus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#98  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 06, 2010 9:31 pm

paarsurrey wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:

Hi friend NineOneFour

I think you mean to say that you are not an Ahmadi and have no intention being one. It is perfectly OK with me; only that one should be with truth and reason.

Please hold fast on you; you need not to convert if you are not convinced; there is no dearth of numbers here.

Thanks

Ever hear of satire, man?

Lighten up.
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#99  Postby dyet-b » Mar 07, 2010 12:49 am

paarsurrey wrote:For Ethics, Morals and Spiritual guidance the proper tool is Word of Revelation from God Allah YHWH. The Mill of the "Scientific Method" is a clumsy tool in this connection.

Further, Quran does not claim to be a Book of Physics or Chemistry or Biology etc; it is for guidance of the human beings in matters Ethical, Moral and Spiritual. It is very much mentioned in the very first chapter of Quran.

Hi, Ahmadi peaceful Muslim :cheers:

Why doesn't the Koran claim to be a book on science? AFAIK, it does contain statements about the natural world around us (like where does the Sun set). If the Koran is supposed to be revelation from an all-knowing entity, than is surely cannot contain falsehoods, wouldn't you agree?
I think that the Koran is not claimed to be a science book because it cannot be claimed as one: science has shown it to be in error. Don't you agree?

Also, why the different formulation? You say that the Koran doesn't claim to be a scientific book, but it is a moral and ethical guide. Why did you use "is", when clearly the Koran is only claimed to be a moral guide. You are only claiming it to be one. Why do you claim that the Koran is established to be the proper tool for morality? How did you establish that?

It doesn't matter what your book mentions, since its divine origin (and the existence of any deities) is in question. Your book can mention that it is a book of ethics, but it doesn't matter what the book claims: any claim can be disregarded the same way the verse about the Sun setting in a pool of mud is disregarded. The Koran mentioning it being anything doesn't make it so. Wouldn't you agree?

Later, in a discussion about the verse on slaying the unbelievers, you mention the verses and the context:
paarsurrey wrote:“So you do slay the unbelievers wherever you find them?”

He was referring to much quoted verses of Quran in the West; out of context though; verse # 4:89/90 and 9:5/6.

I explained that the context does not make it a general statement for every disbelievers but a specific statement befitting the Meccans of that time only who were at war with Muhammad, and the situation at hand; and as such it was truly rational.

If one sees the above verses together with the five preceding and five following verses for the context; the matter becomes obvious.

You may verify it yourself; no compulsion however.

I did verify, and the verses don't seem to make it relate to the Meccans only. Can you point out the exact verse?

But there is another point raised in one of the verses:
4:92 wrote: It is not for a believer to kill a believer unless (it be) by mistake. He who hath killed a believer by mistake must set free a believing slave, and pay the blood- money to the family of the slain, unless they remit it as a charity. If he (the victim) be of a people hostile unto you, and he is a believer, then (the penance is) to set free a believing slave. And if he cometh of a folk between whom and you there is a covenant, then the blood-money must be paid unto his folk and (also) a believing slave must be set free. And whoso hath not the wherewithal must fast two consecutive months. A penance from Allah. Allah is Knower, Wise.

(my bold)
There could be a number of things to take issue with, but the most glaring to me is that this verse implies slavery. Do you think it is ethical to have slaves (=a person held in servitude as the chattel of another)? And why do the believing slaves have to be freed? Why not the hardest working slaves, for example?

Thanks!
dyet-b

Print view this post

#100  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 07, 2010 4:54 am

paarsurrey wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

Thanks

Hi friend Spearthrower

Don't be angry, please. If you use a proper tool; you would save the wood and the nail/iron both. Why spoil a thing for nothing?

It is OK if you don't agree with me.

Thanks

Ahmadi - have you got a hidden camera in my room? Have you got special powers that let you detect the emotional responses to people in another country to you? Have you got any reason to be positing emotions for me other than to, in fact, attempt to garner an emotional response from me?

I was not angry in the slightest, so cut out the personalisations eh?

Perhaps I don't want to save the wood - sometimes things are retained way beyond their actual usefulness.... like religion, for example.

I know it's ok if I don't agree with you.

Thanks.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Islam