Context of a sentence is important

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Context of a sentence is important

#101  Postby The_Metatron » Mar 10, 2010 9:59 am

Please, allow me to paraphrase questioner121:

"Using Islam's own source documents, which we believe to be infallible, and the testimony of nearly all Muslim scholars, you have presented an argument that is irrefutable.

So, instead of rexamining my belief system for errors, I will instead whine because you use what I consider to be "bad language" and run away from the argument."

But, this is how all religious apologists operate in the end, when they are shown how fallacious their belief systems really are. I am sure no one is surprised at this response.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#102  Postby 95Theses » Mar 10, 2010 10:01 am

questioner121 wrote:
95Theses wrote:First off,

Personally I have seen many people claim that mohammed was just following the standards of the time when he consummated his marriage to Aisha when she was 9, it's the standard defence, but that is why I asked you if 'it is ever acceptable for a middle aged man to have sex with a nine year old girl?'

Mohammed was 52 when this happened.

For me the worst thing about this is that even were you to argue that it was the norm for the times, and that women attained maturity at a younger age, I find it incredibly creepy that :

Sahih Muslim wrote:A'isha reported that she used to play with dolls in the presence of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) and when her playmates came to her they left (the house) because they felt shy of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him), whereas Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) sent them to her

http://www.iiu.edu.my/deed/hadith/muslim/031_smt.html

So he used to sit and watch her play with dolls with her friends before they had sex :yuk:

If we wish to test him by the standards of the time, we run into another problem. Her father Abu Bakir was a close friend for him and he should have been obliged to treat Aisha like an Uncle. By the standards of the day it was highly unethical to marry the daughters of your close friends.

However as a muslim (and I assume you are, feel free to tell me otherwise if you are just interested in Islam as an outsider) you have a major problem with your not supporting his kiddy fiddling ways, because of Uswa Hasana,

http://www.wikiislam.com/wiki/Uswa_Hasana

This is the concept that according to the koran (which remember is the perfect word of allah) Mohammed was the 'Perfect human' who could do no wrong. The koran even call his morality 'sublime'

Koran 68:4 wrote:And most surely you conform (yourself) to sublime morality.

Now, Mohammed being perfect as stated by the koran is surely not up for debate here? this is a central tenant of the muslim faith, and why muslims worldwide rioted because a few people drew pictures of him with a bomb in his turban.

This combination of hadith and koran is why countries like Saudi Arabia allow child rape in the guise of 'marriage' because mohammed did it, and allah says mohammed was perfect, therefore it must be OK. Saudi Arabia (and others) didn't just invent this, they came to it by the most careful study of the koran and hadith they could.

For the umpteenth time YOU ARE NOT ARGUING WITH ME ABOUT WETHER AISHA WAS NINE WHEN MOHAMMED FUCKED HER, YOU ARE ARGUING WITH ESTABLISHED ISLAMIC SCHOLARSHIP If you want to trot out a weak defence based on what one person told you, be prepared for me to quote back at you volumes of established works by islamic scholars, both believers and secular. In fact I find it hard to even find a reputable source that denies it.

Of course your local imam might disagree, but if you and through you, him, cannot provide some pretty well documented evidence for this I'm going to just dismiss it as one mans apologetics aimed at providing a nice face of islam to the infidels, and therefore worthless and meaningless. As people here are wont to say Show me the fuckin evidence

Now onto the claim that the koran doesn't explicitly permit sex with prebuescent girls (which by the way says nothing about maturity)

I think we are both agreed that according to the koran it is OK to marry and have sex with say an 11 year old girl as long as she has her period, which to me is fucking disgusting anyway ....... But I digress

We are going to have to deal with translations of the koran here, because there are some dodgy translation out there, made with the specific intent of hiding this from the infidels so we don't get up in arms about it. If you or your 'respected source' wants to argue, I ask that you get him to find fault in the translation and not just hand wave away and say 'this isn't a correct translation' I want to know Why it's incorrect.

Wikislam provides a very nice summary of the verse, with a very well referenced translation, if your expert disagrees with this translation, please explain What the problems with it are.

Detailed analysis of the verse in Arabic
: http://www.wikiislam.com/wiki/Pedophilia_in_the_Quran

Theses, I though you'd started seeing sense and had started using better language. However I was wrong and you're the same as all the other arrogant atheists who comment the way you do. Go and believe whatever you want, whatever makes you happy. Be all want to be and call it freedom or truth. I'm not going to debate with ppl like yourself. The quran does mention ppl like you. It says debate with them in a way which is better than the way they debate. But if they become arrogant and indecent then say "peace" and walk away from them. So I will humbly walk away.

My sincere apologies to anyone who was offended by my comments or where I have falsely accused them of something of which they did not do. Thanks for all the decent comments.

One day you will know the truth no matter what it is. Peace to you all.

PS. If anyone does want to debate with me sincerely and in a decent way, then pls IM.

I struggle to even comprehend how you could take offense at that except for the fact that it is entirely transparent that if you are unable to answer the points made, taking false offense allows you to slink away from the discussion in the vain hope people will fall for it.

I think it is fairly clear to all that you don't appear to have any actual, fact based, rebuttal to my argument that mohammed was a pedophile, and allah thinks it is perfectly fine for 53 year old men to have sex with pre pubescent children.

Is it because I, as an infidel am quoting the koran at you to make my argument? is that what offends you?

Tell you what:

Why don't you tell me exactly which bits you take offence to and I'll go edit them so as not to cause offence?
( assuming I can find a way to do this that doesn't change the gist of the argument, I'll change 'Kiddie fiddling' to 'Having sex with prepubescent girls' if it allows you to address my argument, but I won't change my accusations that Mohammed had sex with a 9 year old girl that he should have been treating like an Uncle, and the koran is perfectly fine with it)

Then we can move on to your actual rebuttal of my arguments if you have one.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts - Bertrand Russel

Quoting yourself in your own signature is both narcissistic and plain weird - 95Theses
95Theses
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#103  Postby 95Theses » Mar 10, 2010 10:52 am

95Theses wrote:First off,

Personally I have seen many people claim that mohammed was just following the standards of the time when he consummated his marriage to Aisha when she was 9, it's the standard defence, but that is why I asked you if 'it is ever acceptable for a middle aged man to have sex with a nine year old girl?'

Mohammed was 52 when this happened.

For me the worst thing about this is that even were you to argue that it was the norm for the times, and that women attained maturity at a younger age, I find it incredibly creepy that :

Sahih Muslim wrote:A'isha reported that she used to play with dolls in the presence of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) and when her playmates came to her they left (the house) because they felt shy of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him), whereas Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) sent them to her

http://www.iiu.edu.my/deed/hadith/muslim/031_smt.html

So he used to sit and watch her play with dolls with her friends before they had sex :yuk:

If we wish to test him by the standards of the time, we run into another problem. Her father Abu Bakir was a close friend for him and he should have been obliged to treat Aisha like an Uncle. By the standards of the day it was highly unethical to marry the daughters of your close friends.

However as a muslim (and I assume you are, feel free to tell me otherwise if you are just interested in Islam as an outsider) you have a major problem with your not supporting him having sex with a prepubescent child, because of Uswa Hasana,

http://www.wikiislam.com/wiki/Uswa_Hasana

This is the concept that according to the koran (which remember is the perfect word of allah) Mohammed was the 'Perfect human' who could do no wrong. The koran even call his morality 'sublime'

Koran 68:4 wrote:And most surely you conform (yourself) to sublime morality.

Now, Mohammed being perfect as stated by the koran is surely not up for debate here? this is a central tenant of the muslim faith, and why muslims worldwide rioted because a few people drew pictures of him with a bomb in his turban.

This combination of hadith and koran is why countries like Saudi Arabia allow men to have sex with pre pubescent children in the guise of 'marriage' because mohammed did it, and allah says mohammed was perfect, therefore it must be OK. Saudi Arabia (and others) didn't just invent this, they came to it by the most careful study of the koran and hadith they could.

For the umpteenth time YOU ARE NOT ARGUING WITH ME ABOUT WETHER AISHA WAS NINE WHEN MOHAMMED HAD SEX WITH HER, YOU ARE ARGUING WITH ESTABLISHED ISLAMIC SCHOLARSHIP If you want to trot out a weak defence based on what one person told you, be prepared for me to quote back at you volumes of established works by islamic scholars, both believers and secular. In fact I find it hard to even find a reputable source that denies it.

Of course your local imam might disagree, but if you and through you, him, cannot provide some pretty well documented evidence for this I'm going to just dismiss it as one mans apologetics aimed at providing a nice face of islam to the infidels, and therefore worthless and meaningless. As people here are wont to say Show me the evidence

Now onto the claim that the koran doesn't explicitly permit sex with prebuescent girls (which by the way says nothing about maturity)

I think we are both agreed that according to the koran it is OK to marry and have sex with say an 11 year old girl as long as she has her period, which to me is morally abhorrent anyway ....... But I digress

We are going to have to deal with translations of the koran here, because there are some dodgy translation out there, made with the specific intent of hiding this from the infidels so we don't get up in arms about it. If you or your 'respected source' wants to argue, I ask that you get him to find fault in the translation and not just hand wave away and say 'this isn't a correct translation' I want to know Why it's incorrect.

Wikislam provides a very nice summary of the verse, with a very well referenced translation, if your expert disagrees with this translation, please explain What the problems with it are.

Detailed analysis of the verse in Arabic
: http://www.wikiislam.com/wiki/Pedophilia_in_the_Quran

There we go, I've removed anything I think you could take any offence with if you are interested in actually pursuing the truth of this matter.

I will add in an Apology if you like :

I am very sorry if I used words that meant you could no longer address my arguments because you took offence to the words I used to make them.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts - Bertrand Russel

Quoting yourself in your own signature is both narcissistic and plain weird - 95Theses
95Theses
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#104  Postby UnderConstruction » Mar 10, 2010 1:04 pm

I notice you have still not answered my question, Questioner. I'll try again and I'll remove any nasty words from it this time.

Which do you consider to be more offensive, an abhorrant act such as having sexual relations with a prepubescent child or using "foul" language to describe the perpetrator of those acts?
"Origins from God/Genesis are secular actually as we see it." - Robert Byers
UnderConstruction

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#105  Postby IIzO » Mar 10, 2010 7:02 pm

questioner121 wrote:Do all atheists have this mentality where they deliberately like to insult and antagonise ppl rather than contribute to a debate in a civilised way?

I'm sure that if the ppl who have commented in such a vile way were doing this in public they would shit their pants and dare not insult the person/ppl they were debating with. This just shows the personality of these ppl who hide behind computers screen's and mock idiotically, whereas if they were in public they would behave so nicely as if to show that they are so polite and intelligent.

To the vile atheists, read thru your comments and pat yourself on the back for showing how intelligent you non believers are.

Many people here consider that insults and antagonising is okay until there are arguments presented.
Ignore the insults get straight to the arguments.
Between what i think , what i want to say ,what i believe i say ,what i say , what you want to hear , what you hear ,what you understand...there are lots of possibilities that we might have some problem communicating.But let's try anyway.
Bernard Werber
IIzO

France (fr)
Print view this post

#106  Postby 95Theses » Mar 11, 2010 6:58 am

Now why hasn't this surprised me?

95Theses
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#107  Postby questioner121 » Mar 11, 2010 1:18 pm

95Theses wrote:Image

LOL.

Thanks for the apology 95Theses. I'm a bit tied up with work at the moment. I have some serious financial issues to clear up....and yes I have prayed for it to be resolved in my favour.
questioner121

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#108  Postby Alan B » Mar 11, 2010 2:11 pm

questioner121 wrote:Thanks for the apology 95Theses. I'm a bit tied up with work at the moment. I have some serious financial issues to clear up....and yes I have prayed for it to be resolved in my favour.
My Bold.
Mmmm! That should interesting.
What's Allah going to do? Magically alter the Koran?
Better save all your copies in an Allah proof vault, quick!
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#109  Postby Shrunk » Mar 11, 2010 2:30 pm

Alan B wrote:
questioner121 wrote:Thanks for the apology 95Theses. I'm a bit tied up with work at the moment. I have some serious financial issues to clear up....and yes I have prayed for it to be resolved in my favour.
My Bold.
Mmmm! That should interesting.
What's Allah going to do? Magically alter the Koran?
Better save all your copies in an Allah proof vault, quick!

I think he was probably referring to his financial problems. (Context of a sentence is important, after all!)

I sincerely hope those are resolved, questioner121, whatever they are. Just don't assume you can give Allah credit if it happens!
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#110  Postby paarsurrey » Mar 17, 2010 1:19 am

dyet-b wrote:
paarsurrey wrote:Hi friends

A single sentence or a verse without the text and the context could be sometimes misleading.
One cannot correctly understand the meaning of a word unless one knows the whole sentence in which it has been used; the value of a sentence could be best understood in a passage, and of a passage is best understood in a chapter. The reference to the context is therefore most essential for a useful discussion.

This is nothing but a common sense; everybody must agree to it, in my opinion.

Are there any differences to it or exceptions?

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

Hi,

I think you left out a couple of levels of context.
So a passage is best understood in a chapter, but it doesn't stop there. A chapter is best understood in a book.

Hi friends

Only for the sake of brevity; otherwise the steps you have enumerated could be taken considere where valid. Thanks for the completing certain steps which could be valid, if our friends here thrash them out for everybody.

Thanks
http://paarsurrey.wordpress.com/
We believe:
• Quran- authored by the Creator God; 100% accurate if correctly interpreted
• Sunnah-always existed with Quran; it derives its accuracy from Quran.
• Hadith- accurate only if it does not differ with Quran.
paarsurrey
Banned User

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#111  Postby z8000783 » Mar 17, 2010 1:33 am

Talking of which you still have some verse outstanding over here.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#112  Postby paarsurrey » Mar 17, 2010 1:25 pm

z8000783 wrote:Talking of which you still have some verse outstanding over here.

John

Hi friends

People here live in their own stringent world; can't tolerate things differing with their viewpoint. If you people want to discuss things freely, you people may visit my blog; no compulsion however.

Thanks
http://paarsurrey.wordpress.com/
We believe:
• Quran- authored by the Creator God; 100% accurate if correctly interpreted
• Sunnah-always existed with Quran; it derives its accuracy from Quran.
• Hadith- accurate only if it does not differ with Quran.
paarsurrey
Banned User

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#113  Postby z8000783 » Mar 17, 2010 1:41 pm

paarsurrey wrote:
z8000783 wrote:Talking of which you still have some verse outstanding over here.

John

Hi friends

People here live in their own stringent world; can't tolerate things differing with their viewpoint. If you people want to discuss things freely, you people may visit my blog; no compulsion however.

Thanks

So you don't wish to give your view of the meaning of that verse and the 5 either side of it then?

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#114  Postby UnderConstruction » Mar 17, 2010 1:48 pm

paarsurrey wrote:

John

Hi friends

Thanks

If we could not tolerate things that are different to our viewpoint, we would not be seeking to conduct an open discussion about them. The only person seeking to avoid such a discussion so far appears to be yourself. Furthermore, the pot seems to be making unfounded allegations about the reflectiveness of the kettle. After all, it is you who is so insistent that your reading of the Quran is the correct one and all others (or at least the ones that preach violence) are wrong. Can you not tolerate having this point of view challenged?

So you have no rebuttal to the charge that the Quran is ambiguous then? You are the one who made the claim and so far it is looking like it has been thoroughly debunked an a multitude of threads. If you have any interest in changing this state of affairs, please step on over to the other thread and offer your thoughts. No compulsion, however.

(And why on Earth would we want to go over to your blog to discuss it? We have a perfectly good forum here with several threads already in progress.)
"Origins from God/Genesis are secular actually as we see it." - Robert Byers
UnderConstruction

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#115  Postby InDeoRideo » Mar 17, 2010 2:27 pm

questioner121 wrote:

LOL.

Thanks for the apology 95Theses. I'm a bit tied up with work at the moment. I have some serious financial issues to clear up....and yes I have prayed for it to be resolved in my favour.

He ain't coming back... :waah:
InDeoRideo

Male

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#116  Postby Scarlett » Mar 17, 2010 2:28 pm

InDeoRideo wrote:
questioner121 wrote:

LOL.

He ain't coming back... :waah:

Thats at least two chew toys we've ruined in such a short time, they won't give us any more if we're not good :whine:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#117  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 18, 2010 11:13 am

They are all the bloody same. We should a thread where you could refer all these lovely people to. As Paula1 as said we have had just had two threads going the same way.
They want us to be polite to them. They want us to accept that their deity exists and they are only willing to discuss the bits they want to. The rest about rape, paedophilia, abuse of women and the treatrment of young girls is a no go area. It just does not exist even though we can produce video after video to prove otherwise.
They will never answer the fundimental question: Where is the scientific proof of the existance of their deity. We are expected to accept that it just exists. They are really a waste of time.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#118  Postby InDeoRideo » Mar 18, 2010 11:17 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:They are all the bloody same. We should a thread where you could refer all these lovely people to. As Paula1 as said we have had just had two threads going the same way.
They want us to be polite to them. They want us to accept that their deity exists and they are only willing to discuss the bits they want to. The rest about rape, paedophilia, abuse of women and the treatrment of young girls is a no go area. It just does not exist even though we can produce video after video to prove otherwise.
They will never answer the fundimental question: Where is the scientific proof of the existance of their deity. We are expected to accept that it just exists. They are really a waste of time.

So why am I sad when they're gone. :confused:
InDeoRideo

Male

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#119  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 18, 2010 11:19 am

It is always the same when somebody takes your toy because that all they are.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Islam