Isamic scholar on freedom of religion

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Isamic scholar on freedom of religion

#21  Postby james1v » May 26, 2010 6:27 pm

tuco wrote:Islam is a relative phenomenon in a sense that, unlike Christianity or Catholic Church for example, it lacks central source of authority and no single scholar or institution have right, in the name of "whole" Islam, to speak for and act as the representative of Islamic interests.

In other words, this dude with a name like from Karl May books, Durchs wilde Kurdistan and related, can essentially babble all he wants and I am not worried much. Historically, Islam is known to be quite tolerant to other religions, and from what I've read forceful indoctrination and conversion is prohibited in Qur'an. That Muslims are expected or ought to try to convert others is no different from other religions or ideologies. After all, some militant atheists try to do the same, the difference is that they do it for the .. right .. reasons ;)

edit: some militant atheists instead of atheists .. just because I do not want to be eaten alive.
edit2: Hadji Halef Omar Ben Hadji Abul Abbas Ibn Hadji Dawud al Gossarah <- that was the one, cool dude btw

My large.

Brilliant, every one is a pope! That explains the violence! :roll:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Oeditor » May 28, 2010 4:27 pm

Don't be too quick to blame the wonderful faultless Mohammed for people imitating "him". There are good arguments for the idea that Mohammed was invented (or his name recruited) to symbolise the ways Peninsular Arabs of around his time behaved. Thereby justifying them and perpetuating them.
I think this was mentioned somewhere in the Quranic Origins thread:
islam/qur-anic-origins-and-immutability-t3001.html
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Hugin » May 28, 2010 6:25 pm

Oeditor wrote:Don't be too quick to blame the wonderful faultless Mohammed for people imitating "him". There are good arguments for the idea that Mohammed was invented (or his name recruited) to symbolise the ways Peninsular Arabs of around his time behaved. Thereby justifying them and perpetuating them.
I think this was mentioned somewhere in the Quranic Origins thread:
islam/qur-anic-origins-and-immutability-t3001.html

Interesting, very interesting.

Once the hands of archeology and historical research got hold of the Biblical lands (mainly modern Israel and surrounding countries), a revolution took place within the field of the Bible and history. Already British archeologists started it, and Israeli archeologists have continued to this day.

One day, those hands will get access to the Arabian peninsula. I suspect we will then get a new understanding of the origins of Islam.
"If there were an Economist's Creed, it would surely contain the affirmations 'I understand the Principle of Comparative Advantage' and 'I advocate Free Trade'." - Paul Krugman
Hugin
Banned User

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Islam