The Quran is not ambiguous? Discuss

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

The Quran is not ambiguous? Discuss

#1  Postby UnderConstruction » Mar 13, 2010 9:28 pm

This is in response to a comment made recently by our "friend" Paarsurrey, stating that there is nothing ambiguous in the Quran. Now my knowledge of the Quran is pretty modest but I still feel it is up to demonstrating the absurdity of this statement. The level of ambiguity is no doubt debatable but it is ridiculous to claim that there is none.

Furthermore, Paarsurrey has also repeatedly asserted that it is a matter of common sense. This I feel is a contradiction as common sense clearly is not an absolute. If common sense is requited to interpret the Quran "correctly", this is tantamount to an admission that it is indeed ambiguous.

Anyhoo, I am starting this thread in the hope that Paarsurrey will actually respond in detail to the charge of ambiguity, rather than just ignoring it or handwaving it away with some of his trademark, vacuous oneliners. Needless to say, please feel free to contribute your own examples to challenge this assertion of no ambiguity. To start the ball rolling, this is a post from another thread that did not receive a response for our "peaceful Muslim":

UnderConstruction wrote:
paarsurrey wrote:Hi friends

Further to my post above.

I think anyone who reads the verses clearly, in particular, the following words in the text of Chapter [9:1 to 9:11]:

Idolaters, promises, four months, on the day of the Greater Pilgrimage, treaty, So fulfil to these the treaty you have made with them till their term., forbidden months, kill the idolaters wherever you find them, if anyone of the idolaters ask protection of thee, grant him protection, place of security,

One would know clearly that these refer to Idolaters of Mecca; they had made a treaty and the verses are clearly addressed to them.

Jews, Christians and Atheists are not idolaters, in my opinion; at least they don't declare it. Do they?

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

Nice try but no.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/idolators

i·dol·a·ter or i·dol·a·tor (ī-dŏl'ə-tər)
n.
1. One who worships idols.

2. One who blindly or excessively admires or adores another.

Although a case may be perhaps made that they are not worshipping the idol itself, idols are certainly used in Christian worship rather a lot. The Catholic church seems particularly fond of them. Not sure about Jews and atheism itself certainly does not involve idol worship. However, there are far more religions around that just Islam, Christianity and Judaism. Plenty of them use idols. In the loosest possible sense of the word, it could be taken to mean anyone who idolises anyone or anything. I doubt many would take it to the possible extremes this allows for but there is certainly a fair bit of wiggle room.

So the idea that "idolators" could only possibly apply to Meccans of that time period is laughable at best.

So the only treaty ever made in the history of Islam was with the Meccans? One would rather have thought that killing those you have a peace treaty with is somewhat frowned upon. But then, like I already pointed out, other Muslims have seemed quite proud of Mo's supposed mercy in dealing with them. As such, the instruction was not obeyed very much in that context anyway.

Tell me, was the author of the Quran totally incapable of using the word "Meccans", to remove any doubt as to his intentions?

No Paarsurrey, at best what you have is a mass of ambiguity. At best, if we are being excessively generous, the author of your favourite book was too incompetent to make the extent of the violence he was sanctioning crystal clear. At worst, we have an open ended instruction to make war on those of other beliefs.

I also cannot help but notice and appreciate the irony of the fact that you are trying to defend against out of context quotes with, well, an out of context quote. :clap:

So how about it Paarsurrey, do you feel up to defending your assertion?
"Origins from God/Genesis are secular actually as we see it." - Robert Byers
UnderConstruction

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The Quran is not ambiguous? Discuss

#2  Postby Sityl » Mar 13, 2010 9:50 pm

Saying it's "ambiguous" is nicer than saying it's "wrong". I agree that it isn't ambiguous, it's just wrong. When people claim it's ambiguous, it still lends some credence to the possibility that it's more than a bunch of drivel.
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby UnderConstruction » Mar 13, 2010 10:01 pm

num1cubfn wrote:Saying it's "ambiguous" is nicer than saying it's "wrong". I agree that it isn't ambiguous, it's just wrong. When people claim it's ambiguous, it still lends some credence to the possibility that it's more than a bunch of drivel.

To be honest, this thread is more intended to relate to the instructions it contains for believers, not the level of truth in it's claims (both mundane and supernatural). As in my first post, for example, are the verses inciting violence unambiguously directed at a specific group in a specific time? That is the subject I am aiming to discuss.

Of course, Paarsurrey may no show and this thread may end up being a barren wasteland. In which case, it would have failed in that aim but I live in hope that it will go somewhere.
UnderConstruction

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Shrunk » Mar 13, 2010 10:02 pm

So I guess the Sunni and the Shia are in perfect agreement on all aspects of the Quran, then. They just blow each other up as sport?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby UnderConstruction » Mar 13, 2010 10:06 pm

Shrunk wrote:So I guess the Sunni and the Shia are in perfect agreement on all aspects of the Quran, then. They just blow each other up as sport?

From what I can gather (though I am hesitant to seek to speak for him), I suspect Paarsurrey would have it that one or both groups is simply wrong, not that the source material is ambiguous to begin with. Not that I am buying this, of course.
UnderConstruction

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby cherries » Mar 14, 2010 4:20 pm

Paarsurrey wrote:[4:35] Men are guardians over women because Allah has made some of them excel others, and because they (men) spend of their wealth. So virtuous women are those who are obedient, and guard the secrets of their husbands with Allah’s protection. And as for those on whose part you fear disobedience, admonish them and leave them alone in their beds, and chastise them. Then if they obey you, seek not a way against them. Surely, Allah is High, Great.

this verse of the quran is very old.a long time ago most women were dependent on their husbands for shelter and sustenance.nowadays women are free to work and are able to everything that a man can do also(nearly).
the aurgument that because men worked and therefor women should be obedient to men can't be applied anymore.
even if the husband is the breadwinner the women pulls her load in the house equally,anyway.
"Most books on witchcraft will tell you that witches work naked.
This is because most books on witchcraft were written by men."
-Terry Pratchett / Neil Gaiman

A theists for Conservation
cherries

Female

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Oeditor » Mar 14, 2010 5:27 pm

How about the koranic injunctions about modest female attire? This has variously been interpreted as anything from not dressing up like a hooker through wearing a headscarf to going around like Darth Vader or something. Was it ambiguous in the first place or has it been variously bent by different groups of humans?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijab#Qur.27an
Edit: typo
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Oeditor » Mar 14, 2010 6:06 pm

What about this bit:
2:78 Among them are unlettered folk who know the Scripture not except from hearsay. They but guess.
2:79 Therefore woe be unto those who write the Scripture with their hands and then say, "This is from Allah," that they may purchase a small gain therewith. Woe unto them for that their hands have written, and woe unto them for that they earn thereby.
This appears to be saying that the koran be only transmitted in writing. Elsewhere it is claimed that a written version resided in heaven but was transmitted orally to Mohammed. Tradition then has it that it was then initially propagated orally. Ambiguous or just plain self-contradicting?
http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/quran/2/index.htm
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby z8000783 » Mar 14, 2010 6:32 pm

paarsurrey wrote:
z8000783 wrote:But what if the source is vague and ambiguous to begin with as you have correctly pointed out with the parts of the Quran that relate to science.

Hi friends

I have never observed any ambiguity in Quran; if one uses common sense which Quran so much supports; and one sees the context of Quran (usual short one is five verses preceding and five following); no ambiguity remains. The commandments are crystal clear.

From the many ambiguities you have heard about Quran; you may select only one; if that is solved then the others you have could be solved on the same pattern by yourself.

You may try it if you like; no compulsion.

Thanks

Once again paarsurry you have precisely highlighted the problem here. Common sense is just another word for belief. Your common sense will be different to other peoples I’m afraid.

What you have done is to read the Quran through your own filters and using what you consider to be common sense, which is exactly what I would expect any human being to do. You have looked at the verses, probably in the original Arabic, thought about them and come to a conclusion in your own mind about what they mean based on your own values. This is exactly how beliefs are formed and there is no problem with that.

Therefore any ambiguity I could point to you have already justified it in your own mind. For example, I quoted a verse that talks about the Sun in it’s orbit. So does it say or imply that the Sun orbits the Earth or does it indicate that the Earth orbits the Sun or does it say something entirely different to those two things? It must be attempting to say something presumably or why would a perfect creator put it there?

In order to answer that question you will use need to utilise your beliefs (or common sense which is the same thing). How specifically, do you know that your answer whatever it is, compared to someone else who answers if differently, is the correct? How specifically, will you be able to show them that their answer is wrong?

[21:28] He knows their future and their past. They do not intercede, except for those already accepted by Him, and they are worried about their own necks.

[21:29] If any of them claims to be a god beside Him, we requite him with Hell; we thus requite the wicked.

[21:30] Do the unbelievers not realize that the heaven and the earth used to be one solid mass that we exploded into existence? And from water we made all living things. Would they believe?

[21:31] And we placed on earth stabilizers, lest it tumbles with them, and we placed straight roads therein, that they may be guided.

[21:32] And we rendered the sky a guarded ceiling. Yet, they are totally oblivious to all the portents therein.

[21:33] And He is the One who created the night and the day, and the sun and the moon; each floating in its own orbit.

[21:34] We never decreed immortality for anyone before you; should you die, are they immortal?

[21:35] Every person will taste death, after we put you to the test through adversity and prosperity, then to us you ultimately return.

[21:36] When those who disbelieve see you, they ridicule you: "Is this the one who challenges your gods?" Meanwhile, they remain totally heedless of the message from the Most Gracious.

[21:37] The human being is impatient by nature. I will inevitably show you My signs; do not be in such a hurry.

[21:38] They challenge: "Where is that (retribution), if you are truthful?"

Remember to include the reason you think your answer is correct. This is important.

John
Last edited by z8000783 on Mar 14, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 7 times in total.
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#10  Postby chairman bill » Mar 14, 2010 6:35 pm

It's like the bible - unambiguously bollox.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby paarsurrey » Mar 18, 2010 3:42 pm

z8000783 wrote: You have looked at the verses, probably in the original Arabic,
John

Hi friend "z8000783"

I have opened a thread at my blog titled "Quran is neither ambiguous nor contradictory" . I have pasted the verses in question:

http://paarsurrey.wordpress.com/2010/03 ... radictory/

Since I am restricted here; you or anyone of my friends here , in their own free will and absolutely no compulsion, may visit there and discuss the topic. If you may like.

Thanks
http://paarsurrey.wordpress.com/
We believe:
• Quran- authored by the Creator God; 100% accurate if correctly interpreted
• Sunnah-always existed with Quran; it derives its accuracy from Quran.
• Hadith- accurate only if it does not differ with Quran.
paarsurrey
Banned User

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby hackenslash » Mar 18, 2010 3:52 pm

What do you mean, restricted? If you mean the preaching rule, two things: Firstly, providing support for your position when questions are asked of you is not preaching under the FUA. Secondly, when has that fucking stopped you> You preach at us fairly continuously. I'm amazed you've lasted this long.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby paarsurrey » Mar 18, 2010 4:01 pm

cherries wrote:
Paarsurrey wrote:[4:35] Men are guardians over women because Allah has made some of them excel others, and because they (men) spend of their wealth. So virtuous women are those who are obedient, and guard the secrets of their husbands with Allah’s protection. And as for those on whose part you fear disobedience, admonish them and leave them alone in their beds, and chastise them. Then if they obey you, seek not a way against them. Surely, Allah is High, Great.

this verse of the quran is very old.a long time ago most women were dependent on their husbands for shelter and sustenance.nowadays women are free to work and are able to everything that a man can do also(nearly).
the aurgument that because men worked and therefor women should be obedient to men can't be applied anymore.
even if the husband is the breadwinner the women pulls her load in the house equally,anyway.

Hi friend "cherries"

I agree with you mostly. As I mentioned earlier that the verses are flexible for all the societies. The Law Makers of a society would keep the spirit of the verses and legislate accordingly.
"if the husband is the breadwinner the women pulls her load in the house equally,anyway",

if that is the case in reality; then the Western society is not treating the women equitably; and have overburdened women cruelly.

Do you agree that the western society is not treating women equitably; as they have overburdened women cruelly?

Thanks
We believe:
paarsurrey
Banned User

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 18, 2010 4:19 pm

This is the same crap you get from every muslim.

1. They presume that you accept that their deity exists.
2. They presume that you accept their dirty grubby book as the truth or a version of the truth.

They do not accept that women are massively abused (wife beatings) by men following the sayings in their grubby little book.

Let them first prove that their deity exists before we would ever consider looking at those grubby pages of bollocks.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#15  Postby cherries » Mar 18, 2010 4:21 pm

paarsurrey wrote:
cherries wrote:

Hi friend "cherries"

I agree with you mostly. As I mentioned earlier that the verses are flexible for all the societies. The Law Makers of a society would keep the spirit of the verses and legislate accordingly.
"if the husband is the breadwinner the women pulls her load in the house equally,anyway",

if that is the case in reality; then the Western society is not treating the women equitably; and have overburdened women cruelly.

Do you agree that the western society is not treating women equitably; as they have overburdened women cruelly?

Thanks

that depends on the individuals concerned,my friend and her husband for example have a completely equal relationship.they were both working,after she gave birth to their baby they both took "maternity leave".my friend a bit longer before she went back to work.they share all household tasks.
"Most books on witchcraft will tell you that witches work naked.
This is because most books on witchcraft were written by men."
-Terry Pratchett / Neil Gaiman

A theists for Conservation
cherries

Female

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#16  Postby z8000783 » Mar 18, 2010 4:23 pm

paarsurrey wrote:
John

Hi friend "z8000783"

I have opened a thread at my blog titled "Quran is neither ambiguous nor contradictory" . I have pasted the verses in question:

Since I am restricted here; you or anyone of my friends here , in their own free will and absolutely no compulsion, may visit there and discuss the topic. If you may like.

Thanks

But you haven't said how the verse is not ambiguous, which is all I am trying to understand. As I have said in the past explaining you book is not preaching, go to a thread unsolicited and telling someone to become a Muslim would be.

It is all to do with intention and if yours is honest then you won't have a problem. I would be pleased to see you answer here, I will not be discussing this on your blog.

Can you also tell why is it that talking to you and ray is like getting blood out of a stone.

John
z8000783

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#17  Postby paarsurrey » Mar 18, 2010 4:27 pm

Paarsurrey wrote:Do you agree that the western society is not treating women equitably; as they have overburdened women cruelly?

cherries wrote:
that depends on the individuals concerned,my friend and her husband for example have a completely equal relationship.they were both working,after she gave birth to their baby they both took "maternity leave".my friend a bit longer before she went back to work.they share all household tasks.

How long the maternity leave would last? It must have been their first baby.

If they have say four or five children?

Thanks
We believe:
paarsurrey
Banned User

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 18, 2010 4:29 pm

I think paarsurrey should be done for preaching or trolling. He is quoting from a book that he claims is from a deity he has not proved exists.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#19  Postby paarsurrey » Mar 18, 2010 4:33 pm

z8000783 wrote:
paarsurrey wrote:
John

Hi friend "z8000783"

Thanks

But you haven't said how the verse is not ambiguous, which is all I am trying to understand. As I have said in the past explaining you book is not preaching, go to a thread unsolicited and telling someone to become a Muslim would be.

It is all to do with intention and if yours is honest then you won't have a problem. I would be pleased to see you answer here, I will not be discussing this on your blog.

Can you also tell why is it that talking to you and ray is like getting blood out of a stone.

John

I don't think so. It is your own sweet will. I only informed you. You may revise your opinion, sometimes. I won't mind.

I won't discuss the Moderators or their policies.

Thanks
We believe:
paarsurrey
Banned User

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby z8000783 » Mar 18, 2010 4:35 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:I think paarsurrey should be done for preaching or trolling. He is quoting from a book that he claims is from a deity he has not proved exists.

Then you will bar all theists from being able to explain and/or defend their holy books, which I for one am interested to hear about.

John
z8000783

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Islam