Tim Winter

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Tim Winter

#1  Postby Clive Durdle » May 03, 2013 9:58 am

In the Daily Mail!

But

One of the most characteristic liberationisms of this century has been feminism. Divided into a myriad tendencies, some cautious and reasoned, others wandering into unimaginable territories of witchcraft and lesbianism,

http://www.masud.co.uk/ISLAM/ahm/family2.htm

This is a senior lecturer at Cambridge, no 50 in the top 500 Muslims in the world.

Kindly read the rest of the article I link.
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Tim Winter

#2  Postby Clive Durdle » May 03, 2013 1:27 pm

No one read the Daily Mail here?
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby chairman bill » May 03, 2013 1:40 pm

I try to avoid the Daily Heil. But Winter is a Muslim apologist, and not a very bright one at that. Let's face it, Cambridge or not, it's a faculty of 'Divinity', aka 'made up shit about magic man'; critical thinking & reason plays a very subservient part to mumbo-jumbo in what these people do.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Clive Durdle » May 03, 2013 1:49 pm

But he got a double first according to wiki and has a wonderfully fascist turn of phrase. He is I think very valuable in enabling real criticism of Islam without having the race card played.
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby chairman bill » May 03, 2013 1:52 pm

Fundie Muslim with a fascist turn of phrase? Who'd ever imagine such a thing?
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 03, 2013 2:28 pm

chairman bill wrote:I try to avoid the Daily Heil. But Winter is a Muslim apologist, and not a very bright one at that. Let's face it, Cambridge or not, it's a faculty of 'Divinity', aka 'made up shit about magic man'; critical thinking & reason plays a very subservient part to mumbo-jumbo in what these people do.

Nice job if you can get. Just imagine BEEING PAID to make up mumbo jumbo. Write down anything you want justify using very odd words that according to you a very deep significance and your off.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Shrunk » May 03, 2013 3:53 pm

"Lesbianism"?! :ahrr:

Allah has ninety-nine names. Some are Names of Majesty: such as the Compeller, the Overwhelming, the Avenger. Others are Names of Beauty: the Gentle, the Forgiving, the Loving-Kind. The former category are broadly associated with male virtues, and the latter with female ones. But as all are God's perfect Names, and equally manifest the divine perfection, neither set is superior. And the Divine Essence to which they all resolve transcends gender. Islam has no truck with the hazardous Christian notion that God is male (the "Father"), an assumption that has been invoked to justify traditional Western notions of the objective superiority of the male principle.

Islam's position is thus a nuanced one. Metaphysically, the male and female principles are equal. It is through their interaction that phenomena appear: all creation is thus in a sense procreation. But justice is not necessarily served by attempting to establish a simple parity between the principles in society "here-below". The divine names have distinct vocations; and human gender differentiation was created for more than simple genetic convenience. Both man and woman are God's khalifas on earth; but in manifesting complementary aspects of the divine perfection their "ministries" differ in key respects.

Yeah. I'm really sure such exalted abstractions are behind the typical Muslim objections to gender equality. :roll:
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8  Postby james1v » May 03, 2013 4:02 pm

What a complete and utter deluded prick.
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Shrunk » May 03, 2013 4:43 pm

Holy fuck. I should have read the whole thing:

It is in the context of the struggle to protect the family that the campaign against homosexualism becomes most universally accessible. The screaming fanatics who "out" bishops and demand a lowering of the "gay" age of consent are among the most bitter enemies of the fitra, that primordial norm which, for all the diversity of the human race, has consistently expressed itself in marriage as the natural context for the nurturing of the new generation. That which is against the fitra is by definition destructive: it is against humanity and against God. This awareness needs to be reflected in legislation, which for too long has sought to relativise the family as merely one of a range of lifestyle options. Muslims sometimes hold that the collapse of family values in the West will serve the interests of wider humanity. Decadence, they say, is what it has chosen and deserves; and the inevitable implosion of its society will leave the field open for morally-strong Islam to regain its place as the world's dominant civilisation. The trouble with this theory is that the implosion shows no sign of leading to total collapse. Technology and wealth allow the creation of surveillance and social-security systems which can deal with the growing number of casualties. There is certainly an irony in a New World Order policed by a state which cannot keep order in Central Park after nightfall. But unless we are foolishly optimistic, or hope for absolute totalitarianism, we cannot but be anxious about social trends in the West. The survival of the Western family is a question of immediate Muslim concern, and we must offer our views until the time comes when our friends and neighbours, their doctrines broken on the anvil of reality, are humbled enough to listen.

Let me guess: Is this guy one of those who brays "Islamophobia!" when his ridiculous beliefs are questioned?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Clive Durdle » May 03, 2013 6:59 pm

He has just been questioned on his attitudes to homophobia and said an older video that does not express matters as strongly as this is ...older.

I am surprised he still has his job at Cambridge University

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/05 ... _hp_ref=uk

Winter, a Cambridge graduate who attended the elite Westminster School, told the Tab: "These are not ‘recent comments’ – I think this clip is from a Q+A I did after a talk in America in the mid-90s, during a fit of youthful zeal. My views and manner of exposition have moved on since then."

Yup, got nastier.
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Shrunk » May 03, 2013 7:05 pm

However, the article linked above is undated, and it is not clear whether he is actually affiliated with the website from which it originates. So we should probably give him the benefit of the doubt as to whether he still holds these views until further evidence is forthcoming. Having never heard of the guy before this, I'm not the one to provide that....
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Clive Durdle » May 03, 2013 7:20 pm

I thought I saw a date - 2006, and that is his blog.
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Clive Durdle » May 03, 2013 7:21 pm

A Police prosecution under hate crime would be fascinating!
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Shrunk » May 03, 2013 7:23 pm

Clive Durdle wrote:A Police prosecution under hate crime would be fascinating!

A fascinating waste of time, IMHO.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Clive Durdle » May 03, 2013 7:24 pm

© Abdal-Hakim Murad - That is his Islamic name.
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Shrunk » May 03, 2013 7:38 pm

Clive Durdle wrote:© Abdal-Hakim Murad - That is his Islamic name.

No, I realize that. It's just still not clear to me that he is directly involved with that website, or if they are just posting articles that he has written in the past. 2006 might be the date it was posted there, not when he wrote it.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby HomerJay » May 03, 2013 9:38 pm

Shrunk wrote:However, the article linked above is undated, and it is not clear whether he is actually affiliated with the website from which it originates. So we should probably give him the benefit of the doubt as to whether he still holds these views until further evidence is forthcoming. Having never heard of the guy before this, I'm not the one to provide that....

The article must be more recent than the videos because he cites the Gemmell paper from 2002, so maximum 10 years.

It doesn't seem to be widely available so it would be quite easy for him to have taken down if need be?
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Clive Durdle » May 03, 2013 9:50 pm

The site just seems to be mainly his and another guy's work, with a techie. Someone should be able to work out who's who and when.
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Imagination Theory » May 03, 2013 10:49 pm

Huh? Who is this guy and what is he talking about?
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Imagination Theory » May 04, 2013 12:07 am

In 2010 he was voted Britain’s most influential Muslim thinker by Jordan’s Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Centre.

:shock:
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory