To veil or not to veil

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

To veil or not to veil

#1  Postby Alan C » Mar 01, 2010 7:57 am

I was flipping through an old Time magazine at work and looking at the quote section I read one by a [presumably] French muslim girl. The exact words escape me but essentially she was saying for her to be disallowed from wearing a veil would be as if she was forced to go naked in public [upon typing this I remembered Durro's Saudi accounts].
Now, my own personal opinion on this is needless and melodramatic bullshit. In fact, I consider the veil to be a senseless, archaic and misogynistic practise indoctrinated into most muslim girls. Then, of course, there's the issue of practicality in terms of identification for business, employment and travel. Then thing that really gets me is the expectation that full black robes are expected to be worn in the fucking heat of the Middle East.

If I'm wrong on some or all of this by all means explain. I'm looking to kick of a discussion on this somewhat obvious and topical matter.
:cheers:
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Re: To veil or not to veil

#2  Postby angelo » Mar 01, 2010 11:26 am

It's a crying shame really. These people are blinded by their religion into wearing these tent like outfits.

But even the Catholic women place a veil on their scones when in church. God must hate hair.

Some women who have a less than perfect body can use this tent to hide themselves from men, but what a shame if they have a stunning body to hide it from the appreciative look from guys like me. :grin:
angelo

Name: angelo barbato
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby katja z » Mar 01, 2010 1:54 pm

One of the problems (at least in France) with second-generation immigrants. They were born in France but are not accepted as French. Denied this identity, they look for a different one and many will go "back to the roots" - to islam, often quite radical islam. So not all of those girls with covered hair you see in France are forced to cover - the parents may even oppose it. And ultimately it's not a question of religion, but of the society's failure to accept them as full citizens. I'm not saying that this kind of reaction is sensible, but I can sort of understand it.

As for the "feeling naked" argument - well, I can just imagine I would be very uncomfortable walking naked down the street, and I've had no religious education whatsoever and am certainly not inclined to think of the human body as something sinful. I can sort of understand this feeling though even while I think it's utter nonsense (like my discomfort at walking naked down the street would be perfect nonsense, but it'd be real all the same). So forcing women to unveil (as opposed to making certain nobody is forced to cover in the first place!) is probably not a good strategy - it just provokes even more entrenched positions, which wouldn't be very liberating and empowering ...
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Beatsong » Mar 02, 2010 1:59 am

Alan C wrote:I was flipping through an old Time magazine at work and looking at the quote section I read one by a [presumably] French muslim girl. The exact words escape me but essentially she was saying for her to be disallowed from wearing a veil would be as if she was forced to go naked in public [upon typing this I remembered Durro's Saudi accounts].
Now, my own personal opinion on this is needless and melodramatic bullshit. In fact, I consider the veil to be a senseless, archaic and misogynistic practise indoctrinated into most muslim girls. Then, of course, there's the issue of practicality in terms of identification for business, employment and travel. Then thing that really gets me is the expectation that full black robes are expected to be worn in the fucking heat of the Middle East.

If I'm wrong on some or all of this by all means explain. I'm looking to kick of a discussion on this somewhat obvious and topical matter.
:cheers:

You're only wrong in leaving out the bit about who's business it is. If SHE feels naked not wearing a veil, then that's the point, as far as she has the right to decide what she wears. It's not up to you to tell her whether she should feel that way, any more than it's up to her to tell you what colour socks you should like wearing.

Although I agree with you about the practicality issues, and would add that wearing the full veil discourages communication, and thus integration, in every way. As such it should be at the very least discouraged.

I wonder if there's a way to do that while respecting the rights of people to decide their own standard of modesty?
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby blackarmada » Mar 02, 2010 6:57 am

Beatsong wrote:
You're only wrong in leaving out the bit about who's business it is. If SHE feels naked not wearing a veil, then that's the point, as far as she has the right to decide what she wears. It's not up to you to tell her whether she should feel that way, any more than it's up to her to tell you what colour socks you should like wearing.

Although I agree with you about the practicality issues, and would add that wearing the full veil discourages communication, and thus integration, in every way. As such it should be at the very least discouraged.

I wonder if there's a way to do that while respecting the rights of people to decide their own standard of modesty?

I think that's the main beef i have with the French's way of dealing with the issue.

Yes i think there should be laws protecting these women from being forced to wear the veil but i don't think the government should force them not to wear them if they wish to do so willingly.

Personally i don't think finding a way to discourage veil wearing is the answer here. It is a habit for them, let them grow out of it. If they won't their children probably would. Forcing them to do it would create unneccessary resentment and would impend integration.
財也大, 產也大
後來子孫禍也大
若問此裡是如何,
子孫錢多膽也大,
天樣大事都不怕,
不喪家產不肯罢
blackarmada

Print view this post

#6  Postby Mr Ashbo » Mar 02, 2010 10:20 am

Anybody care to comment on the underlying thought processes and chain of logic that leads to a culture or religion insisting that 50% of its followers dress in a certain way?

I would speculate that the 'laws' defining dress codes were defined and written by the 50% of the population that were (are) in complete and powerful control of the other 50%. I would further speculate that behind this requirement lies a desire to not only subjugate women but to clearly and utterly demonstrate their ownership by the husband who determines who is allowed to look at his wife's hair and body. This is really about power and authority here on earth.

To my mind it smacks of depersonalistion/dehumanisation - and the Muslim women who claim to prefer to dress this way are victims of a lifetime of cultural and religious brainwashing- they can think no other way.

Is this really such a big step away from female circumscision and slavery? How far should western democracies demonstrate their cultural and religious tolerance ?

Personally where ever and whenever I see women in burkhas I feel nothing but pity for them and resentful of the males that have forced them to comply to their will.
It is better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Mr Ashbo

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Aught3 » Mar 02, 2010 10:43 am

I have quite a bit of sympathy for the French burka ban, especially when it comes to children. Young girls shouldn't have to worry about hiding their faces and the gender separation that this provokes is deplorable. One thing I do worry about is the controlling males who may not let the women out at all without a burka, so perhaps there is no simple solution.

Alan C wrote:Then thing that really gets me is the expectation that full black robes are expected to be worn in the fucking heat of the Middle East.
Since it bothers you so much I'm delighted to tell you that colour has negligible impact on thermal qualities of fabric. Many Bedouin tribesmen wear black clothing without any ill effects.
League of Reason: Freethinkers, unite!
Aught3

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#8  Postby angelo » Mar 02, 2010 10:55 am

Perhaps they should change the obligatory black for white. At least white reflects a little sunlight. :)
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Boadacia! » Mar 02, 2010 2:17 pm

All the religions generally are written by men, therefore the inherent misogyny is apparent. Islam being just one of the more severe and medieval, but Christianity, and most others too in the past.

When religions accept that none of them are anything to do with any truth, and just the mind of man, the world might make progress.

Finally, after a useless dribbling Mafia run ISP, I've found broadband that bloody works with no throttling/traffic management, answers from British staff in under 30 minutes, and £19 a month!

Female

Print view this post

#10  Postby blackarmada » Mar 03, 2010 2:45 am

Mr Ashbo wrote:Anybody care to comment on the underlying thought processes and chain of logic that leads to a culture or religion insisting that 50% of its followers dress in a certain way?

I would speculate that the 'laws' defining dress codes were defined and written by the 50% of the population that were (are) in complete and powerful control of the other 50%. I would further speculate that behind this requirement lies a desire to not only subjugate women but to clearly and utterly demonstrate their ownership by the husband who determines who is allowed to look at his wife's hair and body. This is really about power and authority here on earth.

To my mind it smacks of depersonalistion/dehumanisation - and the Muslim women who claim to prefer to dress this way are victims of a lifetime of cultural and religious brainwashing- they can think no other way.

Is this really such a big step away from female circumscision and slavery? How far should western democracies demonstrate their cultural and religious tolerance ?

Personally where ever and whenever I see women in burkhas I feel nothing but pity for them and resentful of the males that have forced them to comply to their will.

I remember reading Benazir Bhutto's memoirs, she explained that Islam when first conceived actually improved women rights and dress codes at the time.

So rather than it being deliberately conceived to limit women rights, it was an attempt to implement rules to improve their lives and standing in society.

The burqa is more of a cultural thing in the region than an Islam invention.

(Ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burqa)
This type of dress has its origins with desert times long before Islam arrived. It had two functions. Firstly as a sand mask in windy conditions. This would be worn by men and women and is still common today. For women only the masking of the face and body was used when one group was being raided by another. These raids often involved the taking of women of child bearing age. With all women hidden behind a veil the chances of being taken were substantially reduced as the women of child bearing age could not be quickly distinguished from the very young and the old in the turmoil of fighting

Although the Muslims in Southeast Asia also adopt the rule of keeping their head and body covered but it's a lot more vibrant in color and design that it could be considered as an alternate fashion choice.
財也大, 產也大
後來子孫禍也大
若問此裡是如何,
子孫錢多膽也大,
天樣大事都不怕,
不喪家產不肯罢
blackarmada

Print view this post

#11  Postby angelo » Mar 03, 2010 11:13 am

I read somewhere that the tent [burqa] was around before islam rose to dominate Arabia, but is now part of the rule of their religion. Why not make it white so as to reflect the sun, not attract it.
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#12  Postby ixolite » Mar 03, 2010 8:58 pm

blackarmada wrote:I remember reading Benazir Bhutto's memoirs, she explained that Islam when first conceived actually improved women rights and dress codes at the time.

Yes, that is what is often claimed, but it's not true.

Exhibit A:

Kadijah, not only a successful businesswoman, but free and dominant enough to aquire a boy-toy (Mo) and to keep him from doing any shit (marrying other women, molesting children) as long as she was alive

Exhibit B:

Sahih al-Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 72, Number 715
Narrated ‘Ikrima:
Rifa'a divorced his wife whereupon 'AbdurRahman bin Az-Zubair Al-Qurazi married her. ‘Aisha said that the lady (came), wearing a green veil (and complained to her (Aisha) of her husband AND SHOWED HER A GREEN SPOT ON HER SKIN CAUSED BY BEATING). It was the habit of ladies to support each other, so when Allah's Apostle came, ‘Aisha said, "I have not seen any woman suffering AS MUCH AS THE BELIEVING WOMEN. Look! Her skin IS GREENER THAN HER CLOTHES!" When ‘AbdurRahman heard that his wife had gone to the Prophet, he came with his two sons from another wife. She said, "By Allah! I have done no wrong to him but he is impotent and is as useless to me as this," holding and showing the fringe of her garment, ‘Abdur-Rahman said, "By Allah, O Allah's Apostle! She has told a lie! I am very strong and can satisfy her but she is disobedient and wants to go back to Rifa'a." Allah's Apostle said, to her, "If that is your intention, then know that it is unlawful for you to remarry Rifa'a unless Abdur-Rahman has had sexual intercourse with you." Then the Prophet saw two boys with 'Abdur-Rahman and asked (him), "Are these your sons?" On that ‘AbdurRahman said, ‘Yes.’ The Prophet said, ‘You claim what you claim (i.e.. that he is impotent)? But by Allah, these boys resemble him as a crow resembles a crow,’

Exhibit C:

Sahih al-Bukhari, Volume 3, Book 43, Number 648
Narrated ‘Abdullah bin ‘Abbas:
…Then ‘Umar went on relating the narration and said. "I and an Ansari neighbor of mine from Bani Umaiya bin Zaid who used to live in 'Awali Al-Medina, used to visit the Prophet in turns. He used to go one day, and I another day. When I went I would bring him the news of what had happened that day regarding the instructions and orders and when he went, he used to do the same for me. We, the people of Quraish, used to have authority over women, but when we came to live with the Ansar, we noticed that the Ansari women had the upper hand over their men, so our women started acquiring the habits of the Ansari women. Once I shouted at my wife and she paid me back in my coin and I disliked that she should answer me back. She said, ‘Why do you take it ill that I retort upon you? By Allah, the wives of the Prophet retort upon him, and some of them may not speak with him for the whole day till night.’ What she said scared me and I said to her, ‘Whoever amongst them does so, will be a great loser.’ … So, I entered upon the Prophet and saw him lying on a mat without bedding on it, and the mat had left its mark on the body of the Prophet, and he was leaning on a leather pillow stuffed with palm fibres. I greeted him and while still standing, I said: "Have you divorced your wives?" He raised his eyes to me and replied in the negative. And then while still standing, I said chatting: "Will you heed what I say, O Allah’s Apostle! We, the people of Quraish used to have the upper hand over our women (wives), and when we came to the people whose women had the upper hand over them…"

Exhibit D:

Abu Dawood , Book 11, Number 2141:
Narrated Abdullah ibn AbuDhubab:
Iyas ibn Abdullah ibn AbuDhubab reported the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) as saying: Do not beat Allah's handmaidens, but when Umar came to the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) and said: Women have become emboldened towards their husbands, he (the Prophet) gave permission to beat them. Then many women came round the family of the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) complaining against their husbands. So the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) said: Many women have gone round Muhammad's family complaining against their husbands. They are not the best among you.

Oh, yes, on the topic of veils:

High bone turnover in Muslim women with vitamin D deficiency

Rickets upsurge among UK Asians

"A study in Tunisia found that nearly half the study population had vitamin D levels well below the threshold for D deficiency," said Adams. "Similar results were found on the Indian subcontinent."

Which proves once again, allknowing Allah fails at biology. :teef:
ixolite

Female

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#13  Postby angelo » Mar 04, 2010 9:57 am

He also fails miserably at compassion.
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Boadacia! » Mar 04, 2010 10:24 am

angelo wrote:He also fails miserably at compassion.

He's not too hot on answering questions either! Or being photographed! :smug:

Finally, after a useless dribbling Mafia run ISP, I've found broadband that bloody works with no throttling/traffic management, answers from British staff in under 30 minutes, and £19 a month!

Female

Print view this post

#15  Postby angelo » Mar 04, 2010 11:54 am

Boadacia! wrote:
angelo wrote:He also fails miserably at compassion.

He's not too hot on answering questions either! Or being photographed! :smug:

He hasn't spoken since Moses was a lad in the Sinai dessert . And then it was only to him. :eh:
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Bolero » Mar 19, 2010 12:06 am

angelo wrote:It's a crying shame really. These people are blinded by their religion into wearing these tent like outfits.

But even the Catholic women place a veil on their scones when in church. God must hate hair.

Nah. God just recognises that provocative displays of hair drive men crazy with sexual desire, leaving little attention span for worship, and far more room for depraved sin, of course.
"You live with apes, man: it's hard to be clean." Marilyn Manson
Bolero

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Oeditor » Mar 19, 2010 12:32 am

Napoleon is said to have ordered Josephine not to wash before his return. Think how much more he'd have appreciated her if she'd been in the sun all day in a black sack.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby MoonLit » Mar 19, 2010 2:15 am

angelo wrote:It's a crying shame really. These people are blinded by their religion into wearing these tent like outfits.

Some women who have a less than perfect body can use this tent to hide themselves from men, but what a shame if they have a stunning body to hide it from the appreciative look from guys like me. :grin:

It doesn't do a very good job, considering men are still just as likely to sexually harass women who are dressed as ninja's then those who are not.

As for the veil, I don't care if a woman chooses to wear it, but I wont speak to one that does. Face recognition and expressions is one of the ways we humans communicate and bond with one another. It would be difficult for me to be able to hold a conversation with someone when all I can see are her eyes. :|
The only time I've ever spoken to someone who's face I could not see (not including over the phone, but which I also dislike doing) was when he was wearing a helmet, and it was an emergency.
Image Image Image Image
Click the eggs please!
MoonLit
RS Donator

Name: Andi
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Teshi » Mar 19, 2010 2:46 am

I don't have a problem with people veiling their heads. I feel bad for women who veil their faces. However, I wouldn't punish them for masking their faces by not speaking to them, because who knows what goes on in their lives or their heads that brought them to that place.

I have an acquaintance who's an atheist out of Iran. She has talked about the fact that because women are required to cover themselves so much, they actually focus all their attention on their faces. Women wear considerably more makeup, she has said, because the face is the only way of attracting attention. Women in the West wear much less makeup, ironically because the attraction factor is spread out over more features, shall we say.

It is pretty clear that the veil does not prevent objectification by those who have no other more liberal people to fixate on. It merely draws more attention to what is being hidden.

Whenever I see a practicising Muslim out shopping, picking over the t-shirts to find the long skirts and shirts, I always want to say, "Allah doesn't freaking care what you're wearing, just pick something you like. Please yourself."
Teshi

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby angelo » Mar 19, 2010 8:33 am

But that's just it. They can't wear what they like. Their vile religion forbids it. Not to mention that they have been brainwashed from when they're toddlers that they must cover up.

Western governments have to legislate as they are trying to in France, that in western society, this is not accepted or allowed.
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Islam