What is your view of the religion of Islam?

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

What is your view of the religion of Islam?

Positive
4%
Neutral
9%
Negative
86%

Total votes : 95

Re: What is your view of the religion of Islam?

#61  Postby z8000783 » Jun 21, 2010 7:51 am

katja z wrote:
z8000783 wrote:
Did the Holy Ghost also lead the hand of the tens of people involved in deciding which books to include in the cannon and which to leave out.

Probably, since he's said to "work through" the Church.

Did the Holy Ghost also lead the hand of people involved in translating the books into Latin and then into every other language of the world.

In fact, several translations have been considered inspired: off the cuff, the Septuagint (the Greek translation of the OT) and the Vulgate (St Jerome's Latin version of the Bible that was long the official text used by the Catholic Church). There may be others (?).

I wonder if there Is there anyone left who hasn't been inspired in that case.

katja z wrote:Contrast this to the orthodox view in Islam that god dictated the suras directly in Arabic, and so the Quran shouldn't be translated at all, so as not to mar god's own word.

Except that there did appear to be a number of versions knocking around in the early days.

Indeed, time I think that historians started to ignore the threats and turned their attentions to this tome.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#62  Postby katja z » Jun 21, 2010 7:58 am

z8000783 wrote:

:lol: The heretics? Defined ex post facto of course, as those who lost the theological argument war. :naughty2:

katja z wrote:Contrast this to the orthodox view in Islam that god dictated the suras directly in Arabic, and so the Quran shouldn't be translated at all, so as not to mar god's own word.

Except that there did appear to be a number of versions knocking around in the early days.

Indeed, time I think that historians started to ignore the threats and turned their attentions to this tome.

I think we have a thread about this. Re early versions, this is only to be expected with oral transmission, but ... er ... you don't mean to insinuate there never was anthe original, perfect version? You evil godless ... person, you. :shifty:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#63  Postby pSimon » Jun 21, 2010 8:03 am

Negative.

The damage done by one ray outweighs a large number of moderates.

IMO, of course :)
pSimon

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#64  Postby z8000783 » Jun 21, 2010 8:06 am

katja z wrote:
z8000783 wrote:

:lol: The heretics? Defined ex post facto of course, as those who lost the theological argument war. :naughty2:

I guess you are talking about the Baptists now?

katja z wrote:I think we have a thread about this. Re early versions, this is only to be expected with oral transmission, but ... er ... you don't mean to insinuate there never was anthe original, perfect version? You evil godless ... person, you. :shifty:

Yes a very interesting thread and lots of good stuff starting to appear on the internet now.

I think these new media sources may be their downfall since they are no longer under clerical control.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#65  Postby Agrippina » Jun 21, 2010 9:52 am

bookmarking.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Loosar Dammahum » Jul 05, 2010 12:48 am

My view was negative before. It is even more negative now that I have received death-threats for drawing a fucking picture.

I am sick and tired of hearing about how Islam is a religion of peace. I have no doubt that most members of the Nazi party were non-violent. Doesn't mean shit when you consider who is running the show.
HALLA UH RABKA!
Loosar Dammahum
Banned Sockpuppet

French Polynesia (pf)
Print view this post

#67  Postby katja z » Jul 05, 2010 7:49 am

Loosar Dammahum wrote:My view was negative before. It is even more negative now that I have received death-threats for drawing a fucking picture.

:shock: Take care! Where was that? :ill:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#68  Postby Loosar Dammahum » Jul 05, 2010 8:01 am

katja z wrote:
Loosar Dammahum wrote:My view was negative before. It is even more negative now that I have received death-threats for drawing a fucking picture.

:shock: Take care! Where was that? :ill:

On the Facebook group for Everbody Draw Mohammed Day, from behind a proxy. Don't worry, I know what I'm doing.
HALLA UH RABKA!
Loosar Dammahum
Banned Sockpuppet

French Polynesia (pf)
Print view this post

#69  Postby Mojzu » Jul 05, 2010 12:05 pm

My opinion of all religions is very negative, although Islam is currently leading the way due to the recent violent outbreaks and death threats because some people (myself included) drew pictures they didn't like. All religions have a number of adherents who will kill others and justify it using religious texts or beliefs, but Islam again, currently seems to be leading the pack in that regard.
"You're offended? So fucking what!" - Stephen Fry
Mojzu

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#70  Postby ixolite » Jul 05, 2010 1:57 pm

Negative. On top of my 'which religion sucks most'-list.

- childmutilation is obligatory for males and recommanded for females
- paedophilia is legal
- discrimination/violence against women
- discrimination/violence against gays
- discrimination/violence against non-mohammedans, even up to murder
- punishments directly from the stone age (cutting off hands, stoning people to death)
- torturing animals to death aka halal slaughter

etc. pp.

everything commanded by either Koran and/or Sunna

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

The behaviour of mohammedans doesn't leave a good impression either. :smug:
ixolite

Female

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Islam