What is your view of the religion of Islam?

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Positive
4%
Neutral
9%
Negative
86%

Total votes : 95

#1  Postby Hugin » Jun 07, 2010 7:57 am

I recall a few years ago, there was a survey in Sweden about how people viewed the five world religions. Of them, Islam recieved the most negative views. 53% of the population had a negative view of Islam, and just 7% had a positive view. The remaining 40% were neutral in their view of Islam. Christianity was the religion that came out most favorably.

So let's make such a poll here about Islam (I think I'll make one for Christianity later). Is your view of the religion of Islam positive, neutral or negative?
"If there were an Economist's Creed, it would surely contain the affirmations 'I understand the Principle of Comparative Advantage' and 'I advocate Free Trade'." - Paul Krugman
Hugin
Banned User

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: What is your view of the religion of Islam?

#2  Postby kiki5711 » Jun 07, 2010 9:08 am

negative was then, is even more now.
kiki5711

Print view this post

#3  Postby Oeditor » Jun 07, 2010 10:16 am

How about:
"What is your view of religion?"? The negative votes could be against religion in general or Islam in particular.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Gawdzilla » Jun 07, 2010 10:23 am

Islam is a way for the Middle East to export it's 6000 year history of bloody feuds to the rest of the planet.
Chief Engineer on the Derail Express.

Geoff wrote:Not that I've anything against paedophilia, but it does leave one open to accusations of catholicism...

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Shrunk » Jun 07, 2010 10:27 am

Islam's no better or worse than any other religion taken on its own. The problem is that, at this point in history, more of its adherents actually follow its principles than is the case with other major religions.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby z8000783 » Jun 07, 2010 10:28 am

I am sure this thread will cover the 1001 things wrong with this abomination but for me the most corrosive aspect is brilliantly captured by the name, ISLAM, submission.

Many/most/all muslims see themselves as slaves to God, and for me that is completely contrary to what defines us as human beings. Muslims have told me that I am a slave to capitalism or a slave to materialism or this that and the other, but it is essentially a state of mind whose limitations we seek to minimise.

Islam's objective is the complete opposite, it is to subjugate, oppress and destroy that diversity of thought and creativity which we have evolved.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Mr Ashbo » Jun 08, 2010 11:16 am

Well Islam REALLY scares me - not for myself particularly but for the future of mankind. All one needs to do is read Sam Harris's book The End of Faith to get a glimpse of why I am scared. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_End_of_Faith.
It is better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Mr Ashbo

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby Julia » Jun 08, 2010 2:12 pm

Shrunk wrote:Islam's no better or worse than any other religion taken on its own. The problem is that, at this point in history, more of its adherents actually follow its principles than is the case with other major religions.

I used to think that way about Islam too until I did some more reading about it and its founder. I've decided it's worse for a number of reasons, not least of which is that its founder was a horrible, violent, sociopath and yet is considered the moral exemplar for Muslims to follow. I see a basic problem there. . .
Julia

Name: Julia
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Hugin » Jun 08, 2010 9:48 pm

Julia wrote:
Shrunk wrote:Islam's no better or worse than any other religion taken on its own. The problem is that, at this point in history, more of its adherents actually follow its principles than is the case with other major religions.

I used to think that way about Islam too until I did some more reading about it and its founder. I've decided it's worse for a number of reasons, not least of which is that its founder was a horrible, violent, sociopath and yet is considered the moral exemplar for Muslims to follow. I see a basic problem there. . .

I view it as potentially dangerous that hundreds of millions of children are taught to emulate such a man.
"If there were an Economist's Creed, it would surely contain the affirmations 'I understand the Principle of Comparative Advantage' and 'I advocate Free Trade'." - Paul Krugman
Hugin
Banned User

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Oeditor » Jun 08, 2010 11:25 pm

^agreed. It will be very difficult to persuade them otherwise, too. It might be best to point out that idols (yes, for it is he) can have feet of clay. Like not having actually existed. Better, probably, than picking at the sores one by one.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby gilthanass » Jun 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Julia wrote:

Haha, same with me. Before, I just thought it was the western world's concept of "other" that made people view islam negatively. Then I read up on the history of Islam, and realized there was a problem with the religion itself. Christianity, as fucked up as it is, was started by a hippy that told people to turn the other cheek and love everyone. Sure, it's still batshit crazy, but if people followed it, it wouldn't be that dangerous. Islam stems from war. It comes from Muhammad's conquest of the Arabian peninsula. The writings of Islam are much more violent, so it's much more dangerous than other religions.
gilthanass

Print view this post

#13  Postby katja z » Jun 09, 2010 4:44 pm

z8000783 wrote:I am sure this thread will cover the 1001 things wrong with this abomination but for me the most corrosive aspect is brilliantly captured by the name, ISLAM, submission.

This.
(Then again, Christianity contains some pretty cringeworthy concepts too - beginning with the original sin, which is a downright disgusting idea.)

I didn't vote because, like Oeditor pointed out, it wouldn't be just a vote about Islam - I've a negative view of religion in general. If the question were "what is your view of Islam as compared to other religions" I would tick "mixed".

Every religion can be used to justify good things and bad things, it's up to the user. My own experience with Muslims I've personally met and discussed with has been rather positive; they're a peaceful bunch interested in personal spirituality, not spreading the (s)word. There are others who scare the shit out of me. I suppose it's all in which cherries you pick, and Islam does contain some very nasty ones.
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Nebogipfel » Jun 09, 2010 7:20 pm

Like any other religion, Islam is what its followers make it. If you want to make it a religion of peace, equality and tolerance, there seem to be ways to interpret Islamic doctrines to make it so. On the other hand, if you want to make it a religion of oppression, authoritarianism and tyranny, then you can find ways to do that too.

Of course, the incurable cynic in me can't help thinking that the former requires more imagination than the latter, but there you go. Nor is that peculiar to Islam.
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby z8000783 » Jun 09, 2010 7:37 pm

I was under the impression that chopping someone's hand off for theft and death for apostasy came from the Quran and therefore applied to all Muslims.

John
z8000783

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Nebogipfel » Jun 09, 2010 7:45 pm

z8000783 wrote:I was under the impression that chopping someone's hand off for theft and death for apostasy came from the Quran and therefore applied to all Muslims.

John

In exactly the same way as the Biblical prohibitions on women speaking in church or gathering stick on the Sabbath apply to all Christians...

I'm certainly not defending Islam - it's just that the question "What is your view of Islam?" begs the questions, what, exactly is Islam? Muslims don't appear to be able to agree on that, any more than Christians can agree on what Christianity is.

On the other hand, if you ask, what is your view of people who kill apostates?, my answer would be, very negative indeed.
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Sphynxcat » Jun 09, 2010 7:48 pm

I voted negative, but only on the basis of the Islamic scriptures (that I am aware of). However, most muslims I have met in real life have been thoroughly decent - so much so that I always felt they deserved a better religon, or - best of all - none whatsoever!
Author of 'Dreamshade', one weird and wild fantasy epic: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/15916
Sphynxcat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby z8000783 » Jun 09, 2010 7:50 pm

Nebogipfel wrote:
z8000783 wrote:I was under the impression that chopping someone's hand off for theft and death for apostasy came from the Quran and therefore applied to all Muslims.

John

In exactly the same way as the Biblical prohibitions on women speaking in church or gathering stick on the Sabbath apply to all Christians...

The difference is the Bible isn't assumed to be the literal word of God. The Pentateuch was supposedly written by Moses and the New Testament....Paul, Matthew, Mark.....

John
z8000783

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#19  Postby ianryan1 » Jun 09, 2010 9:07 pm

Voted negative, as I would have done for any other religion you might care to mention.
ianryan1

Print view this post

#20  Postby Dracena » Jun 09, 2010 9:14 pm

ianryan1 wrote:Voted negative, as I would have done for any other religion you might care to mention.

:this:
Dracena

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Islam