We need a name for 10[sup]27[/sup]

Discuss the language of the universe.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

We need a name for 10[sup]27[/sup]

#1  Postby lucek » Oct 28, 2010 7:24 pm

I know this sounds like a trivial thing. 1027 is so large why would there ever be a need for that number. Well as it happens 5.9*1027g is the mass of the earth.

That said I've seen 2 proposals.

Hella and xera. However the former has no prominence and the latter, I cant find anything for. I was thinking ennéa is more appropriate given it is Greek for 9 and yotta is Greek for 8, zetta 7, exa 6. . . It all so fits the same sort of sound pattern.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: We need a name for 10[sup]27[/sup]

#2  Postby Thommo » Oct 28, 2010 7:36 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_numbers

"Octillion", "Quadrilliard", "Ennillion".

Take your pick! Seems that the American standard name is in common enough usage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders_of_ ... rs%29#1027

Says that 1027 is also the number of atoms in the human body and the number of unique hand combinations in Texas Hold 'Em.
Thommo

Print view this post

#3  Postby lucek » Oct 28, 2010 7:39 pm

OK to be more precise we need a prefix.
5.9 Quadrilliard grams is kinda wordy.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Thommo » Oct 28, 2010 7:43 pm

lucek wrote:OK to be more precise we need a prefix.

I don't really see how "5.9 Million grams" is vastly different to "5.9 Octillion grams".* Two letters? :scratch:

*Comparing the two terms from the standard American system.

Edit: List of prefixes here:

http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~alopez-o/ma ... ode54.html

"nea" does the equivalent job as "mega", so 1027 grams would be one neagram.
Thommo

Print view this post

#5  Postby lucek » Oct 28, 2010 7:50 pm

Thommo wrote:
lucek wrote:OK to be more precise we need a prefix.

I don't really see how "5.9 Million grams" is vastly different to "5.9 Octillion grams".* Two letters? :scratch:

*Comparing the two terms from the standard American system.

It's not Million grams vs. Octillion grams. it's Million grams vs. megagrams. So if we had a prefix we could say 5.9 ennéagrams, or 5.9 hellagrams.
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Thommo » Oct 28, 2010 7:53 pm

lucek wrote:It's not Million grams vs. Octillion grams. it's Million grams vs. megagrams. So if we had a prefix we could say 5.9 ennéagrams, or 5.9 hellagrams.

I addressed this already.

Million <-> Octillion
Mega <-> Nea

Should cover it, don't you think?
Thommo

Print view this post

#7  Postby lucek » Oct 28, 2010 8:26 pm

Thommo wrote:
lucek wrote:It's not Million grams vs. Octillion grams. it's Million grams vs. megagrams. So if we had a prefix we could say 5.9 ennéagrams, or 5.9 hellagrams.

I addressed this already.

Million <-> Octillion
Mega <-> Nea

Yeah editing dose cause problems like this. Good rule of thumb before you post an edit check to see if someone has replied to the unedited form, or at least check that your not calling someone on information you covered in the edit.
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Thommo » Oct 28, 2010 8:35 pm

lucek wrote:Yeah editing dose cause problems like this. Good rule of thumb before you post an edit check to see if someone has replied to the unedited form, or at least check that your not calling someone on information you covered in the edit.

I edited it 6 minutes before you replied. But thanks for the tip!

I will continue the trend with the following tip, before one posts a reply one can click "preview", or reload the thread in a new tab to view any new posts or corrections.

Still, no harm done, I didn't really mind repeating the sentence and I don't think the thread reads ambiguously now! :cheers:
Thommo

Print view this post

#9  Postby Tinker Grey » Oct 28, 2010 11:17 pm

Harpo.
Tinker Grey

Print view this post

#10  Postby Audley Strange » Oct 28, 2010 11:45 pm

lucek wrote:I know this sounds like a trivial thing. 1027 is so large why would there ever be a need for that number. Well as it happens 5.9*1027g is the mass of the earth.

That said I've seen 2 proposals.

Hella and xera. However the former has no prominence and the latter, I cant find anything for. I was thinking ennéa is more appropriate given it is Greek for 9 and yotta is Greek for 8, zetta 7, exa 6. . . It all so fits the same sort of sound pattern.

Is 1027 important in any other way. If not, why not just have have 5.9*1027g = 1 Terra or Gaia or something?
Audley Strange

Print view this post

#11  Postby lucek » Oct 29, 2010 1:04 pm

Thommo wrote:Million <-> Octillion
Mega <-> Nea

We still don't have a standard but this should suffice till SI makes up it's collective minds.
Audley Strange wrote:Is 1027 important in any other way. If not, why not just have have 5.9*1027g = 1 Terra or Gaia or something?

Tera is already 1012
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Someone » Nov 10, 2010 2:34 am

An alternative name for a megagram is a 'metric ton', btw. As far as the matter in question is concerned, if the scientific community hasn't already chosen such a prefix (I'm surprised), it probably will soon.
Proper name: Toon Pine M Brown ---- AM I A WOMAN or working intimately on medical ethics?! No Period, No Say About Certain Things. Is my social philosophy. Everyone has a Hell here, so why add one to the mix if you don't need?
Someone
Banned User

Name: James

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

Return to Mathematics