2019-nCoV or COVID-19

Serious discussion of the novel Corona Virus outbreak.

Understanding the basis and treatment of disease.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 2019-nCoV or COVID-19

#461  Postby Alan B » Apr 08, 2020 11:53 am

Sanitizing gel. I just bought some at Boots. It contains 70% Ethanol which is OK. I also have some sanitizing gel which uses Propaniol (iso-propyl alcohol). Do all alcohols kill off this virus? Methanol, Butanol, etc.?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#462  Postby felltoearth » Apr 08, 2020 12:45 pm

70% is the recommended percentage. Anything more than that will definitely damage your skin.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#463  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 08, 2020 1:15 pm

Alan B wrote:Sanitizing gel. I just bought some at Boots. It contains 70% Ethanol which is OK. I also have some sanitizing gel which uses Propaniol (iso-propyl alcohol). Do all alcohols kill off this virus? Methanol, Butanol, etc.?

Pure enough alcohol will definitely kill any virus as it will interact with and damage the membrane protecting the cell. However, different viruses react differently to different strengths of alcohol; I can't recall the link, but I read a study from a month or two back suggesting that this coronavirus is very sensitive to alcohol compared to others in its family.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#464  Postby felltoearth » Apr 08, 2020 1:40 pm

Interesting article that explains a few things in ways average people can understand:

This Virologist's Twitter Thread Explains Why The COVID-19 Coronavirus Is Worse Than SARS | IFLScience
Despite the two pathogens' similarities, they are not behaving in the same way as we compare the current outbreak of COVID-19 to that of the SARS outbreak in 2002-2003. A recent and very detailed Twitter thread from Peter Kolchinksy, virologist and author of The Great American Drug Deal, gives an in-depth account as to why the SARS-CoV-2 pathogen is a "nastier" virus than that which caused SARS. The answers reveals why adhering to physical (social) distancing guidelines is so essential in halting the spread of this deadly pathogen.

Original tweet thread here:
https://twitter.com/peterkolchinsky/sta ... 48865?s=12

felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#465  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 08, 2020 1:59 pm

That's very interesting fellto. If SARS2 ("nice" to see somebody other than me calling it that) stays in the throat for a time before manifesting in other symptoms, such as the dreaded dry cough (presumably it's primary tool of transmission), unlike SARS1, then asymptomatic infected individuals would pass unnoticed for days (weeks) and so could travel to distant locations before "detonating" with the cough. This would make the virus much harder to contain than SARS1 and can explain (along with the increase in tourism and business airtravel (10 fold increase from China since the 2003 SARS1 outbreak, I reiterate)) why SARS2 is so much more prolific. So I'll back off on my monolithic "it's the airtravel!" designation of blame for this, although I do still think it had a big role to play.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#466  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 08, 2020 2:23 pm

EDIT: actually, no, scratch that. He merely hypothesised that the SARS2 virus "might" linger in the throat in a different way than SARS1 (for some people?). No evidence it does, so the blame for the pandemic status of SARS2 still resides firmly with humanity's unhealthy obsessive addiction to air-travel, in my book at least. The reason there are several times as many (reported) fatalities and cases in China compared to SARS1? Increased travel infrastructure (roads/cars/planes), hindering localised containment, and also increased testing/diagnosese since 2002/3.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#467  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 08, 2020 4:16 pm

The virus is officially called SARS-CoV-2 (Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2), while Covid-19 is the disease.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#468  Postby felltoearth » Apr 08, 2020 4:45 pm

Keep It Real wrote:EDIT: actually, no, scratch that. He merely hypothesised that the SARS2 virus "might" linger in the throat in a different way than SARS1 (for some people?). No evidence it does, so the blame for the pandemic status of SARS2 still resides firmly with humanity's unhealthy obsessive addiction to air-travel, in my book at least. The reason there are several times as many (reported) fatalities and cases in China compared to SARS1? Increased travel infrastructure (roads/cars/planes), hindering localised containment, and also increased testing/diagnosese since 2002/3.

This has go to be the stupidest thing I’ve read in this thread so far. Of course it spreads because of travel. Travel isn’t an addiction, it’s something we do.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#469  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 08, 2020 4:50 pm

My saying "humanity's unhealthy obsessive addiction to air-travel" was inspired by/a response to YOUR (fellto) posting that I, KIR, have an "unhealthy obsession with air travel." Congratulations ; )

ETA: by my count, I haven't flown for abt 20 years. Me? Obsessed? hahaha
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#470  Postby Fallible » Apr 08, 2020 4:52 pm

Plus why does something have to be to ‘blame’? Diseases happen and spread. Travel is one way in which this happens. Humans travel, and so do other animals. It’s a part of life.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#471  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 08, 2020 5:28 pm

Like everything viewed without gross simplification; there are pros and cons. While any given person might not fly, they invariably benefit from the existence of long-distance travel in the wide selection of goods available to them all year round.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#472  Postby felltoearth » Apr 08, 2020 6:32 pm

Keep It Real wrote:My saying "humanity's unhealthy obsessive addiction to air-travel" was inspired by/a response to YOUR (fellto) posting that I, KIR, have an "unhealthy obsession with air travel." Congratulations ; )

ETA: by my count, I haven't flown for abt 20 years. Me? Obsessed? hahaha

I hope this is a joke, because otherwise I take back what I said about your other post being the stupidest one in this thread.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#473  Postby felltoearth » Apr 08, 2020 6:33 pm

Spearthrower wrote:Like everything viewed without gross simplification; there are pros and cons. While any given person might not fly, they invariably benefit from the existence of long-distance travel in the wide selection of goods available to them all year round.

Like say, alcohol.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#474  Postby The_Metatron » Apr 08, 2020 6:43 pm

Alan B wrote:Sanitizing gel. I just bought some at Boots. It contains 70% Ethanol which is OK. I also have some sanitizing gel which uses Propaniol (iso-propyl alcohol). Do all alcohols kill off this virus? Methanol, Butanol, etc.?

I use light petroleum distillates (parts cleaner solvent) in my work. If it comes to it, I am certain that stuff will make quick work of the fatty coating on this virus. I do wipe my mechanic's gloves with a bit of it before I doff them.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#475  Postby Macdoc » Apr 08, 2020 7:04 pm

I hate looking at every door handle and railing with suspicion :?
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#476  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Apr 08, 2020 10:05 pm

If tigers can become infected with this virus is there a possibility that all cats can? If all cats can then could they also be a repository? How many other species could be infected?

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#477  Postby Macdoc » Apr 09, 2020 7:06 am

useful read

SCIENCE
The Best Hopes for a Coronavirus Drug
If there is a way to stop COVID-19, it will be by blocking its proteins from hijacking, suppressing, and evading humans’ cellular machinery.

SARAH ZHANG
APRIL 8, 2020

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arc ... ource=digg
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#478  Postby Mike_L » Apr 09, 2020 7:28 am

theropod_V_2.0 wrote:If tigers can become infected with this virus is there a possibility that all cats can? If all cats can then could they also be a repository? How many other species could be infected?

RS

Domesticated kitties?
There've been two reported cases of an infected owner transmitting Covid-19 to a pet cat (one in Belgium and one in Hong Kong), but the reverse route (from house cats to humans) doesn't seem to be a high risk...

Some media reports have shown that the coronavirus can infect our companion animals -- and more exotic species like tigers and lions -- but cases are rare. It appears that transmission of the disease from human to animal is low, and there's no reason to think you might catch the disease from a feline friend who has been wandering the neighborhood. The World Health Organization states there is "no evidence that a dog, cat or any pet can transmit COVID-19."

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/coronavirus-and-pets-how-covid-19-affects-cats-and-dogs/
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#479  Postby chango369 » Apr 09, 2020 10:26 pm

The coronavirus may be “reactivating” in people who have been cured of the illness, according to Korea’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

About 51 patients classed as having been cured in South Korea have tested positive again, the CDC said in a briefing on Monday. Rather than being infected again, the virus may have been reactivated in these people, given they tested positive again shortly after being released from quarantine, said Jeong Eun-kyeong, director-general of the Korean CDC.

“While we are putting more weight on reactivation as the possible cause, we are conducting a comprehensive study on this,” Jeong said. “There have been many cases when a patient during treatment will test negative one day and positive another.”

Coronavirus May ‘Reactivate’ in Cured Patients, Korean CDC Says
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#480  Postby chango369 » Apr 10, 2020 12:03 am

Abstract

Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 is the causative agent of the 2019 novel coronavirus disease pandemic. Initial estimates of the early dynamics of the outbreak in Wuhan, China, suggested a doubling time of the number of infected persons of 6–7 days and a basic reproductive number (R0) of 2.2–2.7. We collected extensive individual case reports across China and estimated key epidemiologic parameters, including the incubation period. We then designed 2 mathematical modeling approaches to infer the outbreak dynamics in Wuhan by using high-resolution domestic travel and infection data. Results show that the doubling time early in the epidemic in Wuhan was 2.3–3.3 days. Assuming a serial interval of 6–9 days, we calculated a median R0 value of 5.7 (95% CI 3.8–8.9). We further show that active surveillance, contact tracing, quarantine, and early strong social distancing efforts are needed to stop transmission of the virus.

High Contagiousness and Rapid Spread of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Medicine