Hi

Hello

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Hi

#21  Postby Atomic » Sep 20, 2012 9:36 pm

Lion IRC wrote:Welcome Atomic. :cheers:

As a former atheist converted to Christianity, you are in good company.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEESE dont get banned. OK! :pray:

There arent many Christians at rationalskepticism.org but all the other rational folk here have been kind enough to let me hang out for a long time (albeit with one or two or three temporary interruptions.)

So once you get the feel of the place I hope you'll like it.

What is the most likely way to get banned? From the new members list it looks like a lot of people do. It would be interesting to know why. - Just curious, not intending to push the envelope. ;)
Atomic

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#22  Postby HughMcB » Sep 20, 2012 9:38 pm

That list might include spammers and bots. So it could be misleading.
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Atomic » Sep 20, 2012 10:05 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Sendraks wrote:Welcome aboard. :)

I'm interested to learn more about what you mean by "ugly atheist baggage" and hopefully this will be explained through your posts.

Perhaps he took exception to one of Richard Dawkins's suitcases?

I should rephrase that so it doesn't sound like I'm dissing atheists, I should have said my habits from when I was an atheist.

My answer to this question may be worth starting a thread. Getting rid of arrogance, condescension, jealousy, fear, resentments, bitterness, prejudice, selfishness and other unattractive (from other people's perspective) behaviors and way of thinking. Christ's call for Christians to love is inconsistent with excesses in these areas. I'm enjoying my life more than I ever did before, and I think I'm much better to be around. I still have a long way to go, but the bit of progress I'm making brings me peace.
Atomic

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Kazaman » Sep 20, 2012 10:08 pm

arrogance, condescension, jealousy, fear, resentments, bitterness, prejudice, selfishness

None of these are necessarily related to atheism at all, and you'll doubtless find some Christians who are like this. You'll find people everywhere who have these qualities and the opposite.
Kazaman

Name: Stephen
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Corke » Sep 22, 2012 3:14 pm

Well, you did accept the forum users' agreement. Look it up and start breaking the rules set there. Rinse, repeat until you get banned.

That's the painful way. The quick way is to say this, "I'm a troll. Ban me."

Of course, none of us want to see you banned. I, for one, am looking forward to having a pleasant discussion over a cup of virtual tea.

:beer:

Yeah, we don't have a tea smiley.
Corke

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Atomic » Sep 22, 2012 7:36 pm

Kazaman wrote:
arrogance, condescension, jealousy, fear, resentments, bitterness, prejudice, selfishness

None of these are necessarily related to atheism at all, and you'll doubtless find some Christians who are like this. You'll find people everywhere who have these qualities and the opposite.

Point well taken. That's why I changed the wording in my profile.
Atomic

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Atomic » Sep 22, 2012 7:41 pm

Corke wrote:Well, you did accept the forum users' agreement. Look it up and start breaking the rules set there. Rinse, repeat until you get banned.

Of course, none of us want to see you banned. I, for one, am looking forward to having a pleasant discussion over a cup of virtual tea.

I did see the user's agreement. Is the no "preaching" rule applied equitably, or is it something to fear if one quotes scripture in an analytical discussion?

Thanks for the welcome! Have a cold one on me.
Atomic

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Regina » Sep 22, 2012 8:26 pm

Lion IRC wrote:Welcome Atomic. :cheers:

As a former atheist converted to Christianity, you are in good company.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEESE dont get banned. OK! :pray:

There arent many Christians at rationalskepticism.org but all the other rational folk here have been kind enough to let me hang out for a long time (albeit with one or two or three temporary interruptions.)

So once you get the feel of the place I hope you'll like it.

Enoch Powell is good company indeed. For a very specific set of people.
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#29  Postby hackenslash » Sep 22, 2012 8:32 pm

Atomic wrote:present day skeptic, and Christian believer

How does that work, then?

Incidentally, there's no requirement to disagree respectfully. Around here, it's considered de rigueur to disagree most disrespectfully, as long as the disrespect is only aimed at the ideas.

I respect people far too much to respect the idiotic shit they believe.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#30  Postby Corke » Sep 23, 2012 2:09 pm

Atomic wrote:
Corke wrote:Well, you did accept the forum users' agreement. Look it up and start breaking the rules set there. Rinse, repeat until you get banned.

I did see the user's agreement. Is the no "preaching" rule applied equitably, or is it something to fear if one quotes scripture in an analytical discussion?

Thanks for the welcome! Have a cold one on me.

Oh, you can quote scripture no problem. Everyone does it here all the time. In fact, in our Mafia games, as one of the punishments for not voting, the player has to speak in bible verses for the entire day.

Preaching goes more along the lines of, "The Lord God loves you. Accept his grace and redeem yourself." Not only is that right on the bottom end of the intellectual contribution scale, but what the fuck do you say to that?
Corke

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#31  Postby hackenslash » Sep 23, 2012 2:14 pm

Corke wrote:what the fuck do you say to that?

'I don't believe you.'
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#32  Postby Corke » Sep 23, 2012 5:04 pm

hackenslash wrote:
Corke wrote:what the fuck do you say to that?

'I don't believe you.'

Yeah, but then they keep preaching because a) they already knew that and b) they think it's their God-given duty to convert you.

Also, 'I don't believe you' doesn't quite manage to convey the sheer, mind-melting irritation one experiences when confronted with a wall of preachy drivel. I'm glad that bit is in the FUA, because it saves me from telling them to fuck off.
Corke

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Welcome New Members