Introducing... an emotional wreck!

Greetings all, I come seeking truth!

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Introducing... an emotional wreck!

#21  Postby Blip » Sep 23, 2011 2:48 pm

Welcome to the lifeboat, Falconjudge. Good to have you on board. :wave:
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Steve » Sep 23, 2011 2:53 pm

Belief in God Boils Down to a Gut Feeling

People who are generally more intuitive in the way they think and make decisions are more likely to believe in God than those who ruminate over their choices, the researchers found. The findings suggest that basic differences in thinking style can influence religious belief.

Shenhav and his colleagues investigated that question in a series of studies. In the first, 882 American adults answered online surveys about their belief in God. Next, the participants took a three-question math test with questions such as, "A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?"
The intuitive answer to that question is 10 cents, since most people's first impulse is to knock $1 off the total. But people who use "reflective" reasoning to question their first impulse are more likely to get the correct answer: 5 cents.

Conratulations Falconjudge - your brain is functioning normally, and you are not afraid to use it.
As your desire is, so is your will.
As your will is, so is your deed.
As your deed is, so is your destiny
Blue Mountain Center of Meditation
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#23  Postby NamelessFaceless » Sep 23, 2011 2:59 pm

Welcome Falconjudge!

Wishing you the best of luck in your search. :cheers:
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby John P. M. » Sep 23, 2011 3:07 pm

Welcome to the forum falconjudge. :cheers:

You'll find all sorts of people here; people who will help you understand why the Bible isn't trustworthy and why even if it were you needn't fear hellfire and who will help you understand evolution theory in place of creationism, and you will also find people here who will help you understand that you deserve to burn in an existing Hell, that the Bible (or the Koran, for that matter) is infallible, and that creationism is the only explanation for the diversity of life, and you will find people here who believe the Bible is fallible and man made, that Hell isn't real, but that the God of the Bible is real, and that those who believe the aforementioned are unsophisticated Christians. Not sure if we have any moderate Muslims yet...

I'd advice you to go where the preponderance of evidence leads you, but then I don't want to be seen as a shrill and strident and unsophisticated atheist. :)

Only you can form your opinion. Make the best of it. If you remain a theist, it's not the end of the world. ;)
John P. M.
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Durro » Sep 24, 2011 2:43 am

:wave:

Hello from Brisbane, Australia, Justin and welcome into the lifeboat ! If you haven't seen it already, you may want to take a look at our New Members' Welcome Pack which will give you a few useful resources and contains our forum rules.

As a house warming present for you, here's a few laughs for your entertainment.

:beer:

Durro
I'll start believing in Astrology the day that all Sagittarians get hit by a bus, as predicted.
Durro
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Nostalgia » Sep 24, 2011 8:34 pm

Welcome! :cheers:

There are much more intelligent and well thought-out posts here but this is my short explanation of why I'm an atheist. I hope you find it useful.

I hope you enjoy your time here FJ.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Animavore » Sep 24, 2011 9:03 pm

Hi, guy.

As long as you don't actually find truth you're alright with me.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#28  Postby ramseyoptom » Sep 24, 2011 11:24 pm

Failt ort falconjudge

You'll like it here, there are a lot of interesting people and if someone hasn't suggested it yet try reading a couple of Cali's posts especially his 'Creationists Read This' if you are opening you mind and have a good sense of humour you should laugh out loud.

Failt ort = welcome in Ynsee Gaelg (Manx)

:cheers:
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.
George Bernard Shaw
ramseyoptom

Name: Ian
Male

Isle of Man (im)
Print view this post

#29  Postby reddix » Sep 26, 2011 2:20 pm

Hello from Canada. :hello:

Welcome to RatSkep! :cheers:
reddix
RS Donator