Introducing... an emotional wreck!

Greetings all, I come seeking truth!

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

#1  Postby Zadocfish2 » Sep 23, 2011 2:02 am

Hello, my name is Falconjudge. I was raised as a young earth Creationist, and have been a strong Christian sice I was old enough to think.

However, I recently made the grave error of keeping an open mind while reading my study Bible. I started noticing... inconsistancies, logical problems and the like. I internalized them and kept believing. But in the last few weeks, I started researching the Bible on secular websites.

Everything I learned meshed perfectly with doubts I was already having just reading the Bible. It all made perfect sense. The Bible is no different than other scriptures and myths... Oh, how it hurts to say this.

But what if my conclusion is wrong? What if non-belief and being an Agnostic will land me in eternal hellfire? I'm scared. I'm confused. I don't want to think that everything I knew is wrong. But I also feel free... My mother says it's just a faze, that everyone goes through this. But I don't want to believe in a lie just out of fear. And, again, rational thinking is kind of freeing.

Even so, I am afraid. So I keep joining Skeptics forums I find, to have good discussions with intelligent people. I need advice. I need help and conversation.

Also, I really do love science. YEC was the first part of my belief I rejected, back when I was 15. I am now 20, btw.
User formerly known as Falconjudge.

I am a Christian.
Zadocfish2

Name: Justin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Introducing... an emotional wreck!

#2  Postby rEvolutionist » Sep 23, 2011 2:41 am

Welcome mate! You'll find heaps of good advice and people to share your story with here. There'll be a subset of people here who have had very similar (de)conversions to you, so you'll hopefully feel comfortable and safe here. :thumbup:
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby AlohaChris » Sep 23, 2011 2:50 am

Aloha Falcon! Welcome to RatSkep. :cheers:

#1 Don't Panic!
#2 There's dozens of us here who were born into & indoctrinated into various religious superstitions, quit & lived to tell the tale.

What flavor of Christianity were you force-fed? I might be able to point you towards a couple of members who had similar experiences to your own.

It is a little scary realizing there's only little men behind the curtain of the great & powerful OZ. :grin:
"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer for why the sun goes down at night."
- Cavil of Cylon
AlohaChris
RS Donator

Name: Chris
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Lion IRC » Sep 23, 2011 2:53 am

LOL
Last edited by Lion IRC on Sep 23, 2011 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
FORMAL DEBATE - Lion IRC (affirmative) vs Crocodile Gandhi (negative)
Topic - Gay marriage should not be legalised in society.
Moderator - Durro
Now Showing HERE.
Lion IRC
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#5  Postby Lion IRC » Sep 23, 2011 2:54 am

I mean...Welcome Falconjudge
FORMAL DEBATE - Lion IRC (affirmative) vs Crocodile Gandhi (negative)
Topic - Gay marriage should not be legalised in society.
Moderator - Durro
Now Showing HERE.
Lion IRC
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#6  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Sep 23, 2011 2:55 am

Welcome.

I think you will find there are many people on this forum that used to be in the same boat as you (scared of eternal fire after they die). It is certainly not an easy thing to shake off, so don't worry if all the "skepticism" doesn't shake off your belief straight away. Maybe head over to the nontheism forum and participate or start a thread.
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby laklak » Sep 23, 2011 3:35 am

Welcome to the monkey house. Well, the evolved ape house. Anyway, welcome aboard!
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Ironclad » Sep 23, 2011 4:26 am

Welcome! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Magic, or somesuch.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#9  Postby maichem » Sep 23, 2011 4:57 am

Welcome! I'm in a similar boat.

I've been looking for answers to some questions I have about foundational aspects of Christianity for 2 years without success. Naturally this has left me drifting further from it, even if ever so slowly.
maichem

Name: Mike
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby hoopy frood » Sep 23, 2011 5:20 am

"Unthinking faith is a curious offering to be made to the creator of the human mind."

Welcome to the forum and cold, hard, beautiful reality.

:)
I don’t think we’re for anything, we’re just products of evolution. You can say “Gee, your life must be pretty bleak if you don’t think there’s a purpose,” but I’m anticipating a good lunch.

Theology: The study of elaborate verbal disguises for non-ideas
hoopy frood

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#11  Postby lobawad » Sep 23, 2011 5:42 am

Hi guys, welcome.

You are not alone- I was about 11 years old when great lumpy rashes about my midriff broke out, from horrible worry about hell and all that. Nightmares every night... gruesome. Eventually you realize that you have been told crazy stories, and the layers of lies start peeling off.

Don't worry: if there really were a God, it would not do such things to you, unless it were Evil. If it is Evil, give it the finger and move on. Think about it- we have something that can make the universe but needs to terrify children to keep its flock in order? It is our moral obligation to reject that.

Ironically, the first step is easy for sincere theists. Reject Evil and Lies. Suddenly you are free of a great deal of Christianity (or other religions).
"Never give succor to the mentally ill; it is a bottomless pit."
- William Burroughs
lobawad

Name: Cameron Bobro

Georgia (ge)
Print view this post

#12  Postby z8000783 » Sep 23, 2011 5:50 am

falconjudge wrote:Hello, my name is Falconjudge. I was raised as a young earth Creationist, and have been a strong Christian sice I was old enough to think.

Hi and welcome, I hope you find what you are seeking here. Asking questions about the doubts you have may be a good start.

falconjudge wrote:But what if my conclusion is wrong? What if non-belief and being an Agnostic will land me in eternal hellfire? I'm scared. I'm confused. I don't want to think that everything I knew is wrong. But I also feel free... My mother says it's just a faze, that everyone goes through this. But I don't want to believe in a lie just out of fear. And, again, rational thinking is kind of freeing.

Trouble is it isn't just about non-belief and agnosticism, what if it's Allah? If you are not a Muslim you will still have the fun of experiencing Hellfire for all of eternity. It appears that a few Billion people will be going to Hell whichever one it is.

Good luck.

John
Last edited by z8000783 on Sep 23, 2011 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Tangerine Dream » Sep 23, 2011 6:03 am

A big warm welcome from South America :cheers: :smoke:
If shit was worth something, poor people would be born with no asshole.
Tangerine Dream

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Bribase » Sep 23, 2011 6:18 am

Falconjudge, I've been a non-believer my entire life so I have no real insight into what you're feeling here. All I can tell you is that beliefs are malleable and the best kinds of beliefs, the kinds we should hold, are ones that track with the evidence. You might call yourself an agnostic now. Perhaps in the light of evidence (there are a number of theists on the forum presenting theirs) you may go back to you faith, perhaps you might reach the position that no gods exist. Who knows?

The important thing is to think critically and to not be swayed by bullshit like the threat of hell.

Welcome! :wave:
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby JoeB » Sep 23, 2011 7:42 am

Welcome Falcon! I've been through a similar journey as you are going through now it seems. It might seem awkward or 'dangerous' to your own perceptions if you think outside of the christian box (I've been there) but once you manage to let go of the what-ifs*, man what a liberation! Really it felt like fresh air to me, everything just clicking into place.

*) these 'what-ifs' are an essential part of the christian autopilot if you will, they're designed so to keep the christian from thinking too freely. They're non-rational so it takes time for them to wear off. :) Enjoy the ride mate!

PS: 'The truth shall set you free', oh how I love that one, it defeats them at their own game.
JoeB
RS Donator

Name: Johan
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#16  Postby babel » Sep 23, 2011 7:49 am

Can't say I understand your plight, I have never been religious by any standard.

Just hope this place helps you to find some peace of mind. :cheers:
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#17  Postby james1v » Sep 23, 2011 8:00 am

Hi! :cheers:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Scarlett » Sep 23, 2011 11:04 am

rEvolutionist wrote:Welcome mate! You'll find heaps of good advice and people to share your story with here. There'll be a subset of people here who have had very similar (de)conversions to you, so you'll hopefully feel comfortable and safe here. :thumbup:

:this:

I've never been a believer but I've read lots of testimonies on here from people going though exactly what you're feeling right now. Believe me when I tell you it will get better, hopefully you can have lots of discussions with others who have been through it and you'll know you're not on your own.

Hopefully too you'll see that your freeing yourself from a lifetime of lies and misconceptions, that WILL feel good, even if it takes a long time to feel that way.

Welcome :wave:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby zulumoose » Sep 23, 2011 11:05 am

falconjudge wrote:I was raised as a young earth Creationist, and have been a strong Christian sice until I was old enough to think.

Fixed it for you!

Seriously though, just embark on an attempt to be an objective outsider, studying religion as if you had never heard of it. What god who values the truth could object to a fresh approach like this? If you succeed to find convincing evidence that would lead an objective outsider to realise your religion represents the truth, then it may just be a world first. If you fail, you can take that any way you want, as a wake-up call to the need for faith, or as a wake-up call to the futility of faith.

Just reassure yourself that a search for truth cannot offend a god of truth, and since the doubts are already there, what more can he expect from you than an honest search for truth? What is revealed about a religion that would discourage you from that?
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Zadocfish2 » Sep 23, 2011 2:40 pm

Wow... such a warm welcome! Thank you. This is the most active skeptic forum I've seen so far.
User formerly known as Falconjudge.

I am a Christian.
Zadocfish2

Name: Justin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Welcome New Members