Alt-Right Commentator Is Schooled ...

... on Roman history ...

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Alt-Right Commentator Is Schooled ...

#41  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jul 27, 2017 8:15 pm

willhud9 wrote:But it's okay because it confirms their view that if you hold women captive they'll eventually fall for you.

Thats called Stockholm Syndrome, isn't it?
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#42  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Jul 27, 2017 8:22 pm

So what do people mean exactly when talking about "diversity"? Strictly speaking there is always diversity because no people except twins have exactly the same DNA.

Early Britain was definitely multi-ethnic. There were several different Celtic tribes who had their own geographical areas. Is that diversity?
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 27, 2017 8:46 pm

Arjan Dirkse wrote:So what do people mean exactly when talking about "diversity"? Strictly speaking there is always diversity because no people except twins have exactly the same DNA.

Early Britain was definitely multi-ethnic. There were several different Celtic tribes who had their own geographical areas. Is that diversity?

And then there's the Picts, Britons and several tribes whose ethnic origins are still unknown or in dispute.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#44  Postby GrahamH » Jul 27, 2017 8:47 pm

Arjan Dirkse wrote:So what do people mean exactly when talking about "diversity"? Strictly speaking there is always diversity because no people except twins have exactly the same DNA.

I take it to mean a mix rather than ethnic isolation. If various tribes were isolated in their own enclaves and didn't mix, trade, intermarry whatever that wouldn't be diversity, would it? If you do a dig in York and find lots of different ethnicities that's a diverse population. If you find one ethnicity in York and another in Bath that's not diverse.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#45  Postby Thommo » Jul 27, 2017 8:54 pm

Arjan Dirkse wrote:So what do people mean exactly when talking about "diversity"?

A contextually significant amount of variation in the trait under discussion. In the modern political climate this usually refers to Proportions of women, non-white people and non-straight people.

Because women are such a large proportion of the population (slightly more than 50%) you can have a lack of diversity even with women making up 20 or 25% of some particular sub grouping.

In the picture, the complaint will undoubtedly be that the roman is black:

Although if one were to look closer the presence of exactly two children and no slaves* might also be regarded as atypical. It's also questionable as to whether Romans bringing their wives was typical (although it's not questionable that it was heard of).

PS: This appears to be the full educational video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN_x9o8MV1o

The video mentions that this chap lives in the time of Hadrian, which puts it at 117-138AD, the emperor who brought what are suspected to be the number of black Roman legionnaires to Britain was dated at 193-211AD.

*Watching the full video and not just the still provided at the other link, slaves are in fact covered.
Last edited by Thommo on Jul 27, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Thommo

Print view this post

#46  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 27, 2017 8:57 pm

GrahamH wrote:

I take it to mean a mix rather than ethnic isolation. If various tribes were isolated in their own enclaves and didn't mix, trade, intermarry whatever that wouldn't be diversity, would it?

But those enclaves likely weren't completely isolated and closed-off.
Nor were they likely to stay that way, after the Romans conquered them.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#47  Postby GrahamH » Jul 27, 2017 9:08 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

I take it to mean a mix rather than ethnic isolation. If various tribes were isolated in their own enclaves and didn't mix, trade, intermarry whatever that wouldn't be diversity, would it?

Indeed. I didn't suggest either case pertained to the period under discussion, I was merely running my own thoughts on what diversity or lack thereof might mean, in answer to Arjan Dirkse's question.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#48  Postby GrahamH » Jul 27, 2017 9:17 pm

Thommo wrote:PS: This appears to be the full educational video:

The video mentions that this chap lives in the time of Hadrian, which puts it at 117-138AD, the emperor who brought what are suspected to be the number of black Roman legionnaires to Britain was dated at 193-211AD.

There would be valid criticism in that for the dates and rulers, rather than the depiction of black faces.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#49  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 27, 2017 9:20 pm

GrahamH wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

Indeed. I didn't suggest either case pertained to the period under discussion, I was merely running my own thoughts on what diversity or lack thereof might mean, in answer to Arjan Dirkse's question.

Ah I see, my bad. :cheers:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Jul 27, 2017 9:23 pm

Thommo wrote:
Arjan Dirkse wrote:So what do people mean exactly when talking about "diversity"?

A contextually significant amount of variation in the trait under discussion. In the modern political climate this usually refers to Proportions of women, non-white people and non-straight people.

Because women are such a large proportion of the population (slightly more than 50%) you can have a lack of diversity even with women making up 20 or 25% of some particular sub grouping.

In the picture, the complaint will undoubtedly be that the roman is black:

Although if one were to look closer the presence of exactly two children and no slaves* might also be regarded as atypical. It's also questionable as to whether Romans bringing their wives was typical (although it's not questionable that it was heard of).

PS: This appears to be the full educational video:

*Watching the full video and not just the still provided at the other link, slaves are in fact covered.

I can't see that video unfortunately. Were there a lot of black people in the Roman armies? The people living around the Mediterranean weren't exactly black, so they must have come from further in Africa.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Thommo » Jul 27, 2017 9:26 pm

GrahamH wrote:

There would be valid criticism in that for the dates and rulers, rather than the depiction of black faces.

Really, so you're saying that having a black family that is even described as typical dated prior to any historical evidence yet provided of black legionnaires is beyond all criticism?

This is why I think we need to take politics out of it.
Thommo

Print view this post

#52  Postby Thommo » Jul 27, 2017 9:28 pm

Arjan Dirkse wrote:I can't see that video unfortunately. Were there a lot of black people in the Roman armies? The people living around the Mediterranean weren't exactly black, so they must have come from further in Africa.

Some, at various periods it seems (but you'd be better asking a historian than me). But the number in Roman Britain would have been small, and the various examples cited in the twitter spat come from a later period in the Roman empire, and even then we're talking about a handful only.
Thommo

Print view this post

#53  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 27, 2017 9:29 pm

Thommo wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

Really, so you're saying that having a black family that is even described as typical dated

Is it?

Thommo wrote: prior to any historical evidence yet provided of black legionnaires is beyond all criticism?

A man doesn't need to have come to Britain as a legionaire.

Thommo wrote:This is why I think we need to take politics out of it.

:nod:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Thommo » Jul 27, 2017 9:32 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Thommo wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

Really, so you're saying that having a black family that is even described as typical dated

Is it?

Yes. Here's the first part of the description: "Suitable for teaching 7-11s. An exploration of life in Roman Britain shown through the eyes of a typical family. Part six of an 11-part animated series."

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Thommo wrote: prior to any historical evidence yet provided of black legionnaires is beyond all criticism?

The guy depicted is a commander in the legions. He's assigned to the construction of Hadrian's wall.
Thommo

Print view this post

#55  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 27, 2017 9:34 pm

Thommo wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Thommo wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

Is it?

Yes.

I see, then yes, this video is a-historical.

Thommo wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

The guy depicted is a commander in the legions. He's assigned to the construction of Hadrian's wall.

And he couldn't have arrived at that post through serving in Britain and/or nepotism?
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#56  Postby Thommo » Jul 27, 2017 9:37 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:I see, then yes, this video is a-historical.

Which, to me, makes it definitely not beyond criticism, in terms of its existence as part of a children's historical education series.

Thomas Eshuis wrote:And he couldn't have arrived at that post through serving in Britain and/or nepotism?

Sorry, I don't know what you mean. I don't think there's any denying that it's possible there was the odd black person in Britain in Roman times and I don't honestly suppose that's why a black person was particularly chosen in this instance anyway.
Thommo

Print view this post

#57  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 27, 2017 9:40 pm

Thommo wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:I see, then yes, this video is a-historical.

Which, to me, makes it definitely not beyond criticism, in terms of its existence as part of a children's historical education series.

Most certainly.

Thommo wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:And he couldn't have arrived at that post through serving in Britain and/or nepotism?

Sorry, I don't know what you mean. I don't think there's any denying that it's possible there was the odd black person in Britain in Roman times and I don't honestly suppose that's why a black person was particularly chosen in this instance anyway.

I see, then I misunderstood your original post, which, to me, seemed to suggest that there couldn't be a black person in Roman Britain at that time because there's no evidence of black legionaires being there at that time.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#58  Postby tuco » Jul 27, 2017 10:04 pm

Perhaps you can see this one? Assuming its the same one.

tuco

Print view this post

#59  Postby Tracer Tong » Jul 27, 2017 10:06 pm

VazScep wrote:These folk are just twats, and it's funny to point at them and tell them they're twats.

Well, sure. But it's likely more interesting to ask why such a misleading (?) video was produced in the first place, being as it seems to imply that the Roman Britain of the time was more ethnically diverse than it really was. Perhaps part of an answer is that history is probably more an aesthetic exercise than we give it credit for. Interestingly, in one of the sources cited by Stuchberry, the author himself cites, as an example of the presence of black people in Britain from an early date, an 'hilarious' story about Septimius Severus and a rude, black soldier. But this account comes from the Historia Augusta, itself a document that's often less concerned with accuracy than looks, and is probably false (or, at least, suspicious). Aesthetes leading aesthetes, or something.
Die Alten sind weder die Juden, noch die Christen, noch die Engländer der Poesie. Sie sind nicht ein willkürlich auserwähltes Kunstvolk Gottes; noch haben sie den alleinseligmachenden Schönheitsglauben; noch besitzen sie ein Dichtungsmonopol.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 27, 2017 10:21 pm

Tracer Tong wrote:
VazScep wrote:These folk are just twats, and it's funny to point at them and tell them they're twats.

Well, sure. But it's likely more interesting to ask why such a misleading (?) video was produced in the first place, being as it seems to imply that the Roman Britain of the time was more ethnically diverse than it really was. Perhaps part of an answer is that history is probably more an aesthetic exercise than we give it credit for.

What exactly do you mean by that?
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs