Alt-Right Commentator Is Schooled ...

... on Roman history ...

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Alt-Right Commentator Is Schooled ...

#1  Postby Calilasseia » Jul 26, 2017 5:00 pm

Nice piece of hilarity reported here ...

If you're going to pick a fight with someone over ancient Roman facts, arguing with a historian is probably not the best course of action.

Infowars editor at large and right-wing YouTuber Paul Joseph Watson recently tweeted an insinuation that Roman Britain wasn’t ethnically diverse.

A bit of a bizarre claim to make out of the blue, but the reason for his outage stemmed from a five-and-a-half minute BBC educational YouTube video on what life was like in Roman Britain.

The video, aimed at supporting teachers, is suitable for 7 to 11 year-olds and details what life was like for a typical family during the Roman period.

The cartoon that accompanies the video features everything from gladiator battles, the purpose of Hadrian's wall and the religious make up of Roman society.

It also features a series of ethnically diverse characters, which is what appeared to anger the Infowars host, who implied that the BBC didn't care about 'historical accuracy'.

It was following these claims of historical inaccuracy that historian Mike Stuchbery stepped in.

In a series of hugely informative tweets, he described how Roman Britain was ethnically diverse “almost by design”.

He explains that Roman troops were drawn from other parts of the empire, and occupied Britain.

Enjoy the lulz as an actual bona fide historian schools the alt-right wanker ...

More here ...
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Alt-Right Commentator Is Schooled ...

#2  Postby CarlPierce » Jul 26, 2017 5:16 pm

Amusing and definitely true the ancients were very diverse.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby laklak » Jul 26, 2017 5:52 pm

Well yeah, but what have the Romans ever done for us?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Tracer Tong » Jul 26, 2017 11:39 pm

As far as I can tell, Mike Stuchbery isn't an historian either.
Die Alten sind weder die Juden, noch die Christen, noch die Engländer der Poesie. Sie sind nicht ein willkürlich auserwähltes Kunstvolk Gottes; noch haben sie den alleinseligmachenden Schönheitsglauben; noch besitzen sie ein Dichtungsmonopol.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#5  Postby tuco » Jul 27, 2017 12:11 am

It boils down to what is meant/understood by "ethnically diverse". From "various ethnicities were present" to "ethnic diversity in population was high".

I am going to speculate now, Paul Joseph Watson is not a disciple of political correctness and he is not pleased that in 5:29 video ethnic diversity takes large part of play time, implying that its not proportional to ethnic diversity of the time. What Paul Joseph Watson does not seem to realize, perhaps indeed because of his ignorance but could just be error in thinking, is that the couple of anecdotes in the video could as well be historically accurate regardless of how low or high ethnic diversity in fact was.

In short, Twitter is not medium for deep thoughts.

----
edit: For those interested, found this in connection to another, similar case: People of Color in European Art History - http://medievalpoc.tumblr.com/
tuco

Print view this post

#6  Postby crank » Jul 27, 2017 5:08 am

laklak wrote:Well yeah, but what have the Romans ever done for us?

I kinda like their candles.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Thommo » Jul 27, 2017 5:31 am

So, what was the ethnic demography of Roman Britain then?
Thommo

Print view this post

#8  Postby crank » Jul 27, 2017 6:42 am

People who tended to groove with several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave?
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#9  Postby VazScep » Jul 27, 2017 6:47 am

Romans were a bunch of PC libcucks.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Matt_B » Jul 27, 2017 7:28 am

Tracer Tong wrote:As far as I can tell, Mike Stuchbery isn't an historian either.

It doesn't really matter. Anyone with a vague grasp on reality could school PJW on history.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Tracer Tong » Jul 27, 2017 9:35 am

Matt_B wrote:
Tracer Tong wrote:As far as I can tell, Mike Stuchbery isn't an historian either.

It doesn't really matter. Anyone with a vague grasp on reality could school PJW on history.

But that's not really true, since a vague grasp on reality isn't sufficient to know about the demographics of Roman Britain. As it goes, I suspect Roman Britain wasn't particularly diverse (at least not ethnically), not least because Britain wasn't uninhabited before the Roman arrival. But it's been a while since I've studied the matter.
Die Alten sind weder die Juden, noch die Christen, noch die Engländer der Poesie. Sie sind nicht ein willkürlich auserwähltes Kunstvolk Gottes; noch haben sie den alleinseligmachenden Schönheitsglauben; noch besitzen sie ein Dichtungsmonopol.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#12  Postby GrahamH » Jul 27, 2017 9:54 am

Tracer Tong wrote:
Matt_B wrote:

But that's not really true, since a vague grasp on reality isn't sufficient to know about the demographics of Roman Britain. As it goes, I suspect Roman Britain wasn't particularly diverse (at least not ethnically), not least because Britain wasn't uninhabited before the Roman arrival. But it's been a while since I've studied the matter.

A vague grasp isn't sufficient to say it wasn't diverse. Data is required. This isn't much, but seems to be based on research into remains etc and seems to b the work of people with more than "a vague grasp on reality" when it comes to archaeology.

Our work shows that considerable numbers of the individuals buried in major Roman towns such as York and Winchester did not grow up there, and that not just men but also women and children moved across the Roman Empire. We also found that the relationship between burial rites, grave goods and geographic origin is much more complicated than previously thought, probably reflecting factors such as intermarriage and the presence of second generation migrants.

http://www.reading.ac.uk/archaeology/re ... spora.aspx
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#13  Postby Tracer Tong » Jul 27, 2017 10:08 am

GrahamH wrote:
Tracer Tong wrote:
Matt_B wrote:

A vague grasp isn't sufficient to say it wasn't diverse. Data is required. This isn't much, but seems to be based on research into remains etc and seems to b the work of people with more than "a vague grasp on reality" when it comes to archaeology.

Our work shows that considerable numbers of the individuals buried in major Roman towns such as York and Winchester did not grow up there, and that not just men but also women and children moved across the Roman Empire. We also found that the relationship between burial rites, grave goods and geographic origin is much more complicated than previously thought, probably reflecting factors such as intermarriage and the presence of second generation migrants.

I don't know what you think that quotation is serving to show. Its content is certainly unremarkable, at least to me.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#14  Postby tuco » Jul 27, 2017 12:24 pm

Is Britain ethnically diverse today?
tuco

Print view this post

#15  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 27, 2017 1:18 pm

Tracer Tong wrote:
Matt_B wrote:

I anything the bolded bit would be a point in favor of ethnic diversity, not against it.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 27, 2017 1:20 pm

Tracer Tong wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
Tracer Tong wrote:
Matt_B wrote:

I don't know what you think that quotation is serving to show. Its content is certainly unremarkable, at least to me.

It's clearly intended to show that Roman Britain was indeed ethnically diverse.
Whether that is or isn't remarkable is completely irrelevant.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Tracer Tong » Jul 27, 2017 2:41 pm

tuco wrote:Is Britain ethnically diverse today?

I'm not sure, really, and there are stark differences depending on where you're talking about the in the country. But my expectation would be that the Britain of today is much more ethnically diverse than it was a couple of millennia ago.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#18  Postby tuco » Jul 27, 2017 2:59 pm

Right, so its measurable. Now, when society is not ethnically diverse? Number. These debates, without definitions /shrugs
tuco

Print view this post

#19  Postby GrahamH » Jul 27, 2017 3:01 pm

Tracer Tong wrote:

I'm not sure, really, and there are stark differences depending on where you're talking about the in the country. But my expectation would be that the Britain of today is much more ethnically diverse than it was a couple of millennia ago.

Surely everywhere is, on average, more diverse today due to vast expansion of transport and communications, but hardly seems relevant. There was diversity in Roman Britain so I see no problem with representing that in an educational video. It would be a misrepresentation to portray any narrow ethnicity.

Today you will find people from every continent in any city in Britain. That is very unlikely to have been the case in Roman Britain, but it is likely you would have found people for more than one continent in any major population centre. That is, it was diverse.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#20  Postby Tracer Tong » Jul 27, 2017 3:06 pm

GrahamH wrote:
Tracer Tong wrote:

Surely everywhere is, on average, more diverse today due to vast expansion of transport and communications, but hardly seems relevant. There was diversity in Roman Britain so I see no problem with representing that in an educational video. It would be a misrepresentation to portray any narrow ethnicity.

Of course there was 'diversity'. The question is the extent of this, which bears on whether certain portrayals are misleading or otherwise.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs