Are we there yet ???

FFS get it over with...Pres Clinton V2

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Are we there yet ???

#1  Postby Macdoc » Oct 16, 2016 1:16 pm

What an agony of an election process.....time to call it done and move on to what will happen in Congress and Senate...

By Maurice Tamman | NEW YORK
After a brutal week for Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, Democrat Hillary Clinton maintained a substantial projected advantage in the race to win the Electoral College and claim the U.S. presidency, according to the latest results from the Reuters/Ipsos States of the Nation project released on Saturday.

If the election were held this week, the project estimates that Clinton's odds of securing the 270 Electoral College votes needed to win the presidency at more than 95 percent, and by a margin of 118 Electoral College votes. It is the second week in a row that the project has estimated her odds so high.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-e ... SKBN12F0PC

Even the repuglies are shifting funding and suppot away from the Dumpf to try and avoid a general meltdown from his "halo" affect. :nono:

What are prospect for President Hillary to have one or both houses in hand ??

Wonder who her pick for new supreme court justice will be ??
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Are we there yet ???

#2  Postby I'm With Stupid » Oct 16, 2016 2:00 pm

Macdoc wrote:Wonder who her pick for new supreme court justice will be ??

If it were me, I'd punish the Republicans for blocking Obama's nomination by electing the most bleeding-heart liberal I could find.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Macdoc » Oct 16, 2016 2:02 pm

My thoughts exactly. How many are up for ...ahem ...grabs. ? ;)
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Evolving » Oct 16, 2016 2:05 pm

They let you do anything you want.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#5  Postby scott1328 » Oct 16, 2016 3:04 pm

I foresee four more years of a republican congress wasting time, and thwarting every action Clinton attempts including any and all Supreme Court nominations. I see the house attempting to impeach her starting on November 8. I see numerous attempts to repeal Obamacare, and other odious legislations that Clinton will be forced to veto.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Byron » Oct 16, 2016 3:15 pm

scott1328 wrote:I foresee four more years of a republican congress wasting time, and thwarting every action Clinton attempts including any and all Supreme Court nominations. I see the house attempting to impeach her starting on November 8. I see numerous attempts to repeal Obamacare, and other odious legislations that Clinton will be forced to veto.

Yup.

After the nadir of the Obama years, the Dems desperately needed to nominate a candidate who could heal relations between Congress and the presidency. Instead, the nom's a GOP hate-figure. Eight years of stalemate's the good outcome (though for practical reasons, I expect the Senate will confirm a Justice if she nominates someone conservative enough, or at least, solid on the 2nd Amendment).
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 16, 2016 3:43 pm

scott1328 wrote:I foresee four more years of a republican congress wasting time, and thwarting every action Clinton attempts including any and all Supreme Court nominations. I see the house attempting to impeach her starting on November 8. I see numerous attempts to repeal Obamacare, and other odious legislations that Clinton will be forced to veto.

I am afraid I will have to agree with you. :shock: :leaving:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8  Postby purplerat » Oct 16, 2016 4:12 pm

Byron wrote:

Yup.

After the nadir of the Obama years, the Dems desperately needed to nominate a candidate who could heal relations between Congress and the presidency. Instead, the nom's a GOP hate-figure. Eight years of stalemate's the good outcome (though for practical reasons, I expect the Senate will confirm a Justice if she nominates someone conservative enough, or at least, solid on the 2nd Amendment).

Who were the dems going to nominate to appease the GOP in congress? Short of nominating an actual Republican I think it's a pipe dream to think the GOP would work with anybody from the other side.

I much prefer to have somebody who has zero fucks to give when it comes to making the GOP happy. We could have used some of that out of Obama the last 6 years.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby laklak » Oct 16, 2016 4:17 pm

Sweet baby Jesus November 8th can't come soon enough. I cannot describe how utterly drained I am by this constant bullshit. It's fucking embarrassing. Here I go, wishing my life away again.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Byron » Oct 16, 2016 4:29 pm

purplerat wrote:Who were the dems going to nominate to appease the GOP in congress? Short of nominating an actual Republican I think it's a pipe dream to think the GOP would work with anybody from the other side.

I much prefer to have somebody who has zero fucks to give when it comes to making the GOP happy. We could have used some of that out of Obama the last 6 years.

Some centrist suit from the Midwest would've had a decent chance (spitballing, say Joe Donnelly), but failing that, even Sanders had a long record of working constructively with Republicans in the House and Senate.

If Obama didn't give zero fucks in the beginning, he sure doesn't now. May get the base riled up: responsible government, not so much.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Oct 16, 2016 4:34 pm

We can hope that enough of the Congressional incumbents are unable to shake their association with Trump that he takes them down, too. It's a slim hope, but it's really all we've got right now. I'll be voting straight-ticket for the first time in my life this year, in the hope that I can be a part of shifting us away from this nightmare Congress. I'm in Utah, so it'll actually count for absolutely nothing as we're gerrymandered to shit, but it's what I can do.
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Macdoc » Oct 16, 2016 7:58 pm

I saw that Utah was shifting blue .....sky must be falling ....heed the trumpets.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#13  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Oct 16, 2016 8:09 pm

We might go blue for the Presidential election for the first time since slavery, but down-ticket still looks very bloody from here.
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Sendraks » Oct 16, 2016 9:23 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:

I am afraid I will have to agree with you. :shock: :leaving:

Weird.

Because we endured months of you repeatedly asking "how is Bernie going to unblock congress?" and never once acknowledging that this was a) just as true for Hilary and b) never providing any explanation as to how she might handle this issue.

Not that I thought for a moment that your challenge against Bernie was anything but a fucking joke but still, nice to be proved right again.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby purplerat » Oct 16, 2016 9:49 pm

Byron wrote:
purplerat wrote:Who were the dems going to nominate to appease the GOP in congress? Short of nominating an actual Republican I think it's a pipe dream to think the GOP would work with anybody from the other side.

Some centrist suit from the Midwest would've had a decent chance (spitballing, say Joe Donnelly), but failing that, even Sanders had a long record of working constructively with Republicans in the House and Senate.

If Obama didn't give zero fucks in the beginning, he sure doesn't now. May get the base riled up: responsible government, not so much.

I don't see it. The current GOP brand is built on outright rejection and hatred of anything that's not them. That's exactly how they ended up with Trump. Maybe the aftermath of Trump will be a wakeup call to the GOP and conservatives, but I doubt it.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Macdoc » Oct 16, 2016 9:57 pm

My understanding is if the GOP block all appointments they will get into deep constitutional contravention....don't know what the executive powers are in this instance.

In Canada the legal profession recommends a limited choice for supreme court and the prime minister selects from that. Keeps the politics at bay..

detail
Justices of the Supreme Court of Canada are appointed by the Governor General-in-Council, a process whereby the governor general, the viceregal representative of the Queen of Canada, makes appointments based on the advice of the Queen's Privy Council for Canada. By tradition and convention, only the Cabinet, a standing committee in the larger council, advises the governor general and this advice is usually expressed exclusively through a consultation with the prime minister. Thus, the provinces and parliament have no formal role in such appointments, sometimes a point of contention.

They are retired at age 75 :clap:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Griz_ » Oct 16, 2016 10:23 pm

Macdoc wrote:
They are retired at age 75 :clap:

Very sensible. As is this:
The Supreme Court Act limits eligibility for appointment to persons who have been judges of a superior court, or members of the bar for ten or more years.
Griz_

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Sciwoman » Oct 17, 2016 4:15 am

ScholasticSpastic wrote:We might go blue for the Presidential election for the first time since slavery, but down-ticket still looks very bloody from here.

Although in many areas of the country with tight races down-ticket, the Republicans are worried that the "Trump effect" could swing those races over to the Democrats. Quite a few Republicans are scrambling to distance themselves from Trump before elction day.
Religion is not the answer-it is the problem. Everything considered, we would be better off without it.~Baubles of Blasphemy~Edwin F. Kagin
Sciwoman
RS Donator

Name: AKA Ayaan
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby willhud9 » Oct 17, 2016 4:55 am

Byron wrote:

Yup.

No they didn't. The thing is: Can the Republicans keep their seats in coming elections?
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Oct 17, 2016 12:15 pm

Sciwoman wrote:
ScholasticSpastic wrote:We might go blue for the Presidential election for the first time since slavery, but down-ticket still looks very bloody from here.

Although in many areas of the country with tight races down-ticket, the Republicans are worried that the "Trump effect" could swing those races over to the Democrats. Quite a few Republicans are scrambling to distance themselves from Trump before elction day.

I hope the Republicans are rightly worried and we can shift them out of the majority in Congress this cycle. Congress has been broken too long and I'd like for us to get on with having a government. Regardless, the down-ticket "Trump effect" is unlikely to manifest in Utah.
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs