Benjamin Netanyahu Gives U.N. The Silent Treatment

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Benjamin Netanyahu Gives U.N. The Silent Treatment

#241  Postby Strontium Dog » Oct 12, 2015 9:12 pm

I can defend everything I write, since everything I write is factual, but you can't threaten to get someone banned for derailing a topic, then moan when they won't perpetuate the alleged derail. Talk about wanting to have your cake and eat it.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#242  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 12, 2015 9:20 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:I can defend everything I write,

There's a distinct lack of evidence, again in this post.
So you either can and refuse to do so, or you can't and are therefore lying, neither being a rational, honest thing to do.

Strontium Dog wrote: since everything I write is factual,

There's that overactive imagination again. :crazy: :yuk:

Strontium Dog wrote: but you can't threaten to get someone banned for derailing a topic, then moan when they won't perpetuate the alleged derail. Talk about wanting to have your cake and eat it.

You also can't win the lottery when you haven't bought a ticket. Neither scenario is presented in this thread however.

So will you finally present evidence for your assertions or admit you extracted them directly from your rectum?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#243  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 12, 2015 9:30 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
Agi Hammerthief wrote:Why don't you put a few specific names to those "most biased critics"
let's see if there is a peep to be found.

I think that really would be a derail. You can all do your own forum searches to determine if the word "Crimea" appears in someone's posts, then contrast that to how often they criticise Israel. I don't have anything further to add on the subject. My point is made.

Yes, a slimy shitty point that you fabricated from thin air to derail the thread and attempt your usual round of antagonism.

And as you're rushing to totally misrepresent me (which would of course be entirely in keeping for someone who routinely derails threads, makes personalized comments and attempt to inflame), I will leave it for the mods to see just how valid your 'point' is.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#244  Postby Nicko » Oct 12, 2015 10:13 pm

Spearthrower wrote:States can and probably will sometimes try to annex new territory, Angelo, but the world rightly condemns it and has done so as long as you've been alive.

In addition to which, Israel has not annexed the Occupied Territories. If it had, the people living there would be Israeli citizens and thus get to vote in elections, resulting in Likud looking at Hamas across the floor of Parliament.

Outright annexation is sometimes known as the "One State Solution". While it is somewhat shakier under international law (you'd need to hold some kind of referendum among the Palestinians), some feel that it is a solution with more chance of actually being implemented.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#245  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 13, 2015 12:29 am

Nicko wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:States can and probably will sometimes try to annex new territory, Angelo, but the world rightly condemns it and has done so as long as you've been alive.

In addition to which, Israel has not annexed the Occupied Territories. If it had, the people living there would be Israeli citizens and thus get to vote in elections, resulting in Likud looking at Hamas across the floor of Parliament.

Outright annexation is sometimes known as the "One State Solution". While it is somewhat shakier under international law (you'd need to hold some kind of referendum among the Palestinians), some feel that it is a solution with more chance of actually being implemented.

Annexed, in fact, but without any consequent recognition as citizens of the state.

They have formally annexed Jerusalem and claim it as sovereign territory; given the past rhetoric, I doubt that's ever going to change.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#246  Postby Fallible » Oct 13, 2015 7:44 am

Strontium Dog wrote:I can defend everything I write, since everything I write is factual, but you can't threaten to get someone banned for derailing a topic, then moan when they won't perpetuate the alleged derail. Talk about wanting to have your cake and eat it.

Lol, providing evidence for you assertion would be a derail, but this post isn't.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#247  Postby Nicko » Oct 13, 2015 9:47 am

Spearthrower wrote:Annexed, in fact, but without any consequent recognition as citizens of the state.

What I'm saying is that Israel seems to want to pick and choose the most convenient elements of annexation and occupation while avoiding the responsibilities towards the Palestinians that either option would incur.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#248  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 13, 2015 9:48 am

Nicko wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:Annexed, in fact, but without any consequent recognition as citizens of the state.

What I'm saying is that Israel seems to want to pick and choose the most convenient elements of annexation and occupation while avoiding the responsibilities towards the Palestinians that either option would incur.

Ditto with the concept of being at war or not.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#249  Postby Blip » Oct 13, 2015 12:14 pm

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Spearthrower, in your post here, you suggest another member is a ‘sick man’.

This post contravenes the Forum Users’ Agreement, specifically section 1.2c, which concerns personal attack.

Please refrain from such remarks to avoid sanction.

All contributors: please desist from provocative and antagonistic personalisation.

Any comments on this modnote or moderation should not be made in the thread as they will be considered off topic.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#250  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 13, 2015 3:19 pm

Nicko wrote:

Aye, I totally agree - I meant 'de facto' :)

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#251  Postby HughMcB » Oct 13, 2015 4:02 pm

angelo wrote:Now, why should Israel have to go back to the 1967 indefensible border? It's not Israel that doesn't want peace, it's the Palestinians who flatly refuse to recognise the Jewish state.

Well, that's rather subjective.
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#252  Postby HughMcB » Oct 13, 2015 4:02 pm

angelo wrote:Who was it that walked away from the offer put on the table by Israel of 90% of Palestinian demands? It wasn't Barak, it was Arafat.

So that precludes them from further negotiations?

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Isn't a a defining aspect of negotiation that the one or more sides refuses the terms until they don't?

angelo wrote:The Palestinian hierarchy, including the terrorist org of Hamas don't want to live next door to the Jews. They will not accept anything less than the complete genocide of every single Jew in the Middle east.

That's a rather antiquated way of thinking.

No one could imagine 100 years ago that a two state solution could work in Ireland. And it's been a long road but here we are.

I suspect your thinking may be a little short sighted. The first step is getting to the table.
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#253  Postby HughMcB » Oct 13, 2015 4:08 pm

angelo wrote:What, and the Israelis don't have the right to defend themselves? Every single war there has been started by the terrorist.

I agree, especially those early ones.

Don't historical facts just suck. :?
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#254  Postby HughMcB » Oct 13, 2015 4:21 pm

Agi Hammerthief wrote:plus: they didn't defend that border, they preeptively attacked. So by the 'indefensible" argument, all of it's neighbours should be given a chunk of Israel.

Yes, just like the annexing of the Golan Heights where they harried Syrian forces into attacking by basically pushing Israeli vehicles further and further across the border.

Again, history is a bitch.
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#255  Postby HughMcB » Oct 13, 2015 4:27 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:I was merely pointing out that the annexation of Crimea by Russia, an area four times larger than the entirety of the Palestinian territories, attracted nary a peep from Israel's most biased critics.

Ah the old "well they're doing it too" argument.

Most notably seen on school grounds around the world.

Strontium Dog wrote:We can all speculate as to the reasons why you continue to moan about Israel's temporary occupation of the Palestinian territories, yet utterly failed to condemn the permanent annexation of Crimea by Russia.

What happens if you condemn both? What do I do with myself now?

Strontium Dog wrote:Pointing out the hypocrisy of those opposed to the existence of the Jewish state isn't a derail - it gets right to the heart of why the situation in the Middle East is as it is.

You won't catch a lot of people on here opposing the existing of a Jewish State.

Now the existence of the current apartheid Jewish State, it's illegal border, and occupation of a thoroughly subjugated people on the other hand... :ask:
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#256  Postby HughMcB » Oct 13, 2015 4:28 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:I think that really would be a derail. You can all do your own forum searches to determine if the word "Crimea" appears in someone's posts, then contrast that to how often they criticise Israel. I don't have anything further to add on the subject. My point is made.

Duly noted. A weak, shitty point has been made.
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#257  Postby HughMcB » Oct 13, 2015 4:33 pm

Nicko wrote:

People who will vote for a party you don't want, don't get to vote.

Not in.... "the ONLY democratic state in the region!" *rabble* *rabble* *rabble*
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#258  Postby proudfootz » Oct 13, 2015 4:36 pm

HughMcB wrote:
angelo wrote:What, and the Israelis don't have the right to defend themselves? Every single war there has been started by the terrorist.

If only someone had taken a strong stand against terrorism then, we wouldn't have the mess we have now.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#259  Postby duvduv » Oct 13, 2015 5:09 pm

If in 1947 someone had forced the beasts in the Haganah, Stern Gang and Irgun into jail, we wouldn't have the mess we have now.
duvduv

United States (us)
Print view this post

#260  Postby crank » Oct 13, 2015 8:42 pm

proudfootz wrote:
HughMcB wrote:

If only someone had taken a strong stand against terrorism then, we wouldn't have the mess we have now.

That's a good addition to my post here, about the Israelis ethnically cleansing the Palestinians out of Israel in 1948, what the Palestinians call The Nakba ["disaster", "catastrophe", or "cataclysm"], what all of the 'right of return' talk is about.

It's telling how this isn't ever heard in mainstream media in discussing the conflict. Another little known episode is Israels attempt to destroy one of our ships, they jammed the radios so the plan was to sink it with all hands so no one would ever know it was them/ 34 Americans were killed, but they managed to get a message out and were saved:

BBC documentary:

There's a lot of videos about this.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs