Brexit

The talks and negotiations.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Brexit

#2461  Postby Fallible » Jul 09, 2018 2:38 pm

This is what my uni tutors meant by tragicomic.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2462  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 09, 2018 2:42 pm

Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2464  Postby mrjonno » Jul 09, 2018 2:50 pm

It's time to bring in the big guns.

May with Corbyn as deputy prime minister, between them they might be to find 20 ministers to last a week without resigning
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2465  Postby Thommo » Jul 09, 2018 2:51 pm

Johnson has gone too now.

Not sure where we're heading at this point. Election or referendum? :think:
Thommo

Print view this post

#2466  Postby ronmcd » Jul 09, 2018 2:54 pm

I see Corbyn is giving a good impression of an opposition leader at the despatch box.

Pity he agrees and will abstain on any actual vote.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#2467  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 09, 2018 2:56 pm

General election. The tories want to pass the challis as fast as possible.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2468  Postby ronmcd » Jul 09, 2018 2:56 pm

Thommo wrote:Johnson has gone too now.

If there's another election the tv crews will be scouring the north of England for that exasperated woman from last time ...
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#2469  Postby ronmcd » Jul 09, 2018 2:57 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:General election. The tories want to pass the challis as fast as possible.

They would still win.

I know. But seriously.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#2470  Postby Ironclad » Jul 09, 2018 2:58 pm

The wheels are coming off
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#2471  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 09, 2018 2:59 pm

Would Corbyn accept it? With the speed he works at B-day will have come gone by the time he wakes up.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2472  Postby Sendraks » Jul 09, 2018 3:00 pm

Thommo wrote: Election or referendum? :think:

I think the problem at this point is the lack of time to do a referendum and deliver Brexit to the agreed timetable.

A second referendum on three options (remain, May's proposal and a "no deal") and see what people go for, would be nice but, there's really not the time to work this up and the EU is unlikely to be keen to keep negotiating if everything goes up into the air again.

Have a referendum with clearer options, clearer terms for what sort of turn out is needed (70% or GTFO) and then if the current Government can't live with whatever the people choose, they could always call another GE to see which party (if any) actually wants to deliver the "will of the people."
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#2473  Postby Thommo » Jul 09, 2018 3:06 pm

I can't see either of those happening, nobody in their right mind agrees to a referendum question with a three way split like that where you have a binary in/out but with the out vote subdivided - it would have to be two separate questions - "in/out" and "if out then hard/soft" and turnout requirements would be seen as a fudge, and worse, if they aren't met then you're back to being obliged to uphold the original referendum meaning you've gambled, lost time you don't have and are back where you started.

It's hard to see how any deal can be agreed at this point. I can't see the EU accepting May's latest proposal anyway. Davis and Johnson appear to be posturing for leadership challenges to me, rather than being worried about the deal being accepted.

Time to start hiring border guards and a lot of parking space in Kent maybe.
Last edited by Thommo on Jul 09, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thommo

Print view this post

#2474  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 09, 2018 3:07 pm

The new Brexit bus (well what is left of it)

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2475  Postby mrjonno » Jul 09, 2018 3:10 pm

It would be insane for the EU to even negotiate with the UK on anything until the UK has a stable government (ie either a coalition between big parties or a real majority single party).

May simple doesn't have the authority to uphold any deal
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2476  Postby Fallible » Jul 09, 2018 3:11 pm

ronmcd wrote:
Thommo wrote:Johnson has gone too now.

If there's another election the tv crews will be scouring the north of England for that exasperated woman from last time ...

That accent was Bristolian, fyi.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2477  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 09, 2018 3:14 pm

He is Scots. 8-)

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2478  Postby Sendraks » Jul 09, 2018 3:19 pm

Thommo wrote:I can't see either of those happening, nobody in their right mind agrees to a referendum question with a three way split like that where you have a binary in/out but with the out vote subdivided - it would have to be two separate questions - "in/out" and "if out then hard/soft" and turnout requirements would be seen as a fudge, and worse, if they aren't met then you're back to being obliged to uphold the original referendum meaning you've gambled, lost time you don't have and are back where you started.

Very true but, its also pretty clear that people who are "pro-Brexit" want very different things, so the questions can't be a simple "in/out" given that "out" is quite clearly a split demographic.

I don't really care if the turnout is seen as "a fudge" because a) it isn't and b) such a thing should have been in place for the first referendum, given regardless of the vote being "advisory" it wasn't taken as such. The Government can't be handing decisions of this magnitude over to the UK public without also making very clear that a level of turnout is expected to make the decision binding.

Thommo wrote:It's hard to see how any deal can be agreed at this point. I can't see the EU accepting May's latest proposal anyway. Davis and Johnson appear to be posturing for leadership challenges to me, rather than being worried about the deal being accepted.

Agreed.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#2479  Postby newolder » Jul 09, 2018 3:41 pm

If queenie throws a sickie on Wednesday and the government has dissolved before Thursday, who's going to put the "Help yourself to milk" post-it on the fridge for Friday's visitor?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#2480  Postby Teague » Jul 09, 2018 4:10 pm

What an outright disaster and how obvious it was going to be. Now they're all jumping ship after putting the nation at such a risk - hang them for high treason - let's not forget how Brexit was going to be a new beginning for the UK - how we'd shine and all the fields would glow with gold.

Remember also how "Brexiters" you know, the people who are for a united and strong but independent Britain were also the first to nod their heads at throwing Northern Ireland overboard.

Now the outlook is entirely bleak and these cowards are leaving. They're leaving because after 2 years they suddenly learned what the EU was about and how we are entwined with it and came to the same conclusions, "Yeah, we can't actually leave"

Jacob Rees-Mogg is such a staunch supporter of Brexit that he's moving his business to Ireland so he doesn't get stung with taxes or tariffs but leaving the EU is a great move that we can only propser from.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs