Brexit

The talks and negotiations.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Brexit

#3981  Postby GrahamH » Dec 12, 2018 11:13 am

newolder wrote:Have we tried turning the UK off and back on again?

I think that's what happens 29th March. Unplug everything, reboot then try to connect it all again.
Today is only at the stage of thumping the side of the case and trying a different mouse.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#3982  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 12, 2018 11:30 am

:lol:

That's about it just now.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3983  Postby ronmcd » Dec 12, 2018 12:21 pm

Fallible wrote:Of course it bloody isn't, due to two consecutive incompetent, egotistical fools at the helm. It never should have started in the first place. Almost half of everyone agrees. You do know that, right? The other half have been fucked over too. Almost no one has got what they wanted. That's a special kind of cluster fuck right there.

I think Scot's got what he wanted.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#3984  Postby Fallible » Dec 12, 2018 12:24 pm

Well it is Christmas.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3985  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 12, 2018 12:38 pm

ronmcd wrote:
Fallible wrote:Of course it bloody isn't, due to two consecutive incompetent, egotistical fools at the helm. It never should have started in the first place. Almost half of everyone agrees. You do know that, right? The other half have been fucked over too. Almost no one has got what they wanted. That's a special kind of cluster fuck right there.

I think Scot's got what he wanted.

I did not want it. As far as I was concerned the UK should have stayed. We were one of the countries that would be deeply affected but our exporters are finding other markets to replace the UK but it is not painless. Life would have been much easier if the UK was not leaving. The extra jobs are of course very welcome but employer market is straining at the seams so if anybody wants to come work is not a problem.

Regardless what some think I do not enjoy this mess that is taking place. Just damn madness.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3986  Postby zulumoose » Dec 12, 2018 12:46 pm

We were one of the countries that would be deeply affected

Life would have been much easier if the UK was not leaving.

Certainly not the impression you have been giving up to now.

Basically your message has been that the UK is neither wanted nor needed in the EU, the arrogant pricks can just F*** Off it won't make the slightest difference to the remaining EU countries.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#3987  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 12, 2018 1:08 pm

zulumoose wrote:
We were one of the countries that would be deeply affected

Life would have been much easier if the UK was not leaving.

Certainly not the impression you have been giving up to now.

Basically your message has been that the UK is neither wanted nor needed in the EU, the arrogant pricks can just F*** Off it won't make the slightest difference to the remaining EU countries.

We dont need the UK but it remaining would have made life easier for us. As for our country it wont make that much difference. Our exporters will work a bit harder. We dont need arrogant countries in the EU but the arrogance has appeared due to the Brexiteers not the country generally. If it had stayed the Brexiteers would have been a annoying side show.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3989  Postby mrjonno » Dec 12, 2018 6:32 pm

ronmcd wrote:200 pages!

And everything is shit.

Don't be so negative!
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3990  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 12, 2018 6:51 pm

Well it is hard to be nay thing else.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3991  Postby OlivierK » Dec 12, 2018 8:46 pm

Who's game for a punt on the number of votes for no confidence in May, due to be announced in 15?

I'll plump for a couple either side of 100. Large enough to be a worry, small enough to be brushed off, and just right-in-the-middle enough to mean no clarity, because this is Brexit, and clarity is anathema.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3992  Postby newolder » Dec 12, 2018 8:52 pm

I've no idea but I'll go lower than 100, just for the game...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#3993  Postby newolder » Dec 12, 2018 9:04 pm

117 it was. For those who like figures expressed as percentages, 117 out of a total of 317 Tory MPs is very close to 37% revolting Tories.
Last edited by newolder on Dec 13, 2018 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#3994  Postby OlivierK » Dec 12, 2018 9:05 pm

200-117.

That's.... yeah. Who knows?
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3995  Postby OlivierK » Dec 12, 2018 9:15 pm

I reckon 200 is enough to keep May trundling along towards the current deal, whose greatest selling point seems to be that, in the finest traditions of Brexit, it kicks most of the hard questions further down the road.

The question now seems to be whether 117 is a large enough tally to embolden the no-deal Brexit bastards to blow up their own government by backing a no confidence vote in the Commons. Unlikely before the vote on ratifying May's deal, but possible after if that vote fails. Talk is that the vote on the deal, delayed from this week, is likely in mid-January. So everyone can stick their fingers in their ears and pretend Brexit isn't a total clusterfuck for another five weeks.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3996  Postby Macdoc » Dec 12, 2018 9:28 pm

I suspect the renegades would go down as heroes if they topple the gov and dump Brexit. my 2 cents worth
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3997  Postby OlivierK » Dec 12, 2018 9:57 pm

Sure, but the renegades are the ones who think that the Brexit deal isn't hard enough, and who want a no-deal crash out, despite the disastrous consequences that would have for, in particular, creating the need for an Irish border.

If a Commons vote was held today to cancel Brexit, it could count on support from the SNP, LibDems and the single Green, and a few stragglers from Labour and the Tories. Without opposition to Brexit from Labour, what you're proposing is impossible. If the government is toppled, another pro-Brexit government will take its place, who say they will get agreement for a different deal from the EU and proceed with Brexit, possibly on a delayed timetable to allow the renegotiation. Yes, that's idiotic, but nothing about this process has been sane.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3998  Postby Macdoc » Dec 12, 2018 10:19 pm

You got that correct.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3999  Postby OlivierK » Dec 12, 2018 11:10 pm

Just a thought that popped into my head...

If it ever gets as far as a vote to rescind Article 50, could/would the Sinn Fein MPs who boycott Westminster actually turn up if numbers were tight? Are they even sworn in? Genuinely have no idea, and suspect the answer is that nothing would get them there.

Edit: after some digging, at least one of the MPs concerned shares that view: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ans-brexit
and...https://www.thejournal.ie/sinn-fein-abs ... 2-Jul2018/
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4000  Postby OlivierK » Dec 12, 2018 11:15 pm

It would have to be a temptation, though, especially if they had public support from their voters.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs