Brexit

The talks and negotiations.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Brexit

#8301  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 27, 2019 3:38 pm

WTF another load of load of crap. Deal with the situation. FFS you are fucking leaving and you have fuck all to say. What is it with you people? You cant change FA. Yet in sheer arrogance you think you can change everything.

Return to normality or is that a big problem? You are FUCKED.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8302  Postby ronmcd » Jun 27, 2019 4:00 pm

polls returning to some sort of normality post EU elections?

Tories take the lead with Ipsos-MORI. BXP drops 4 to 12%. LDs up 7 to 22. At last month's Euros Ipsos-MORI was the most accurate pollster

CON 26 (+1)
LAB 24 (-3)
LD 22 (+7)
BXP 12 (-4)
GRN 8 (-1)

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/ ... 1412036609
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#8303  Postby zerne » Jun 27, 2019 4:46 pm

ronmcd wrote:polls returning to some sort of normality post EU elections?

Tories take the lead with Ipsos-MORI. BXP drops 4 to 12%. LDs up 7 to 22. At last month's Euros Ipsos-MORI was the most accurate pollster

CON 26 (+1)
LAB 24 (-3)
LD 22 (+7)
BXP 12 (-4)
GRN 8 (-1)

A groundswell for the Liberal Democrats. Well now, there's a thing. :)
zerne

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8304  Postby fisherman » Jun 27, 2019 4:52 pm

ronmcd wrote:polls returning to some sort of normality post EU elections?

CON 26 (+1)
LAB 24 (-3)
LD 22 (+7)
BXP 12 (-4)
GRN 8 (-1)

Normality here meaning the polls are more or less accurate? :naughty2:
fisherman

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#8305  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 27, 2019 4:56 pm

More Brexit truths:

Boris Johnson’s talk of ‘global Britain’ is about to look even more ridiculous

While the favourite to be Britain’s next prime minister feeds his public disinformation, the EU is homing in on a huge trade deal

Three years after the United Kingdom’s Brexit referendum, the UK is no closer to figuring out how to leave the European Union – and what comes next – than it was when the result was announced. And now a Conservative party leadership election to replace the outgoing prime minister, Theresa May, is in full swing. To those of us watching from the outside, the debate between the candidates confirms that they have learned nothing whatsoever from the past two years of negotiations with the EU.

Sadly, this comes as no surprise, given that the lead candidate is Boris Johnson, the leave campaign’s most prominent architect and a man who continues to dissemble, exaggerate and disinform the public about Brexit. In 2016, Johnson and his fellow Brexiteers duped a narrow majority of UK voters into thinking that leaving the EU would somehow furnish the NHS with an additional £350m per week. He also drummed up fears that Britain’s EU membership would somehow lead to mass immigration from Turkey (which happens to be the homeland of his paternal great-grandfather, Ali Kemal).

Though Johnson will most likely soon find himself in a position where he must make good on his promises, he continues to spread untruths. Chief among them is the myth that Britain can tear up the withdrawal agreement that May negotiated with the EU, withhold its financial commitments to the bloc, and simultaneously start negotiating free-trade deals. To Johnson’s followers, however, he is more prophet than politician: only he can deliver a mythical “true Brexit” that will bring the prosperity promised during the referendum campaign.

Dreams dreams.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8306  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 27, 2019 5:00 pm

A further point to reality:

No matter who gets into No 10, their Brexit plans are fantasy

Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt claim the backstop problems can be fixed by 31 October. They are in for a rude awakening

As commentators line up to debate the character and personality traits of the two men running for the Tory leadership – and by default our prime minister – there is only one question on my mind: how credible are the details of how and when they can deliver or resolve Brexit?

This does not appear to be a question 84% of Conservative party members are remotely bothered with, as they would prefer the fantasy of an immediate “clean Brexit”. They welcome their witching hour of 11pm on 31 October becoming Independence Day, as if it’s some sort of Hollywood blockbuster, with no deal.

If only will was reality. There is a raft of legislation required even in a no-deal scenario – for example bills on agriculture, fisheries, financial services, trade and immigration. So, too, the vexed question of the Irish border. Boris Johnson, like an overexcited puppy when interviewed by the BBC’s Laura Kuenssberg this week, grabbed this bone and enthused about “abundant, abundant technical fixes that can be introduced to make sure that you don’t have to have checks at the border”. Johnson is not one to worry about details, given the fact that in January Sabine Weyand, the EU’s deputy negotiator, said: “We’ve looked at every border on this Earth, every border the EU has with a third country – there’s simply no way you can do away with checks and controls.”

Then there is the clause in the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018. Section 10, on the subject of the Irish border, states that nothing in this act “authorises regulations which … diminish any form of North-South cooperation provided for by the Belfast agreement”. This is likely to mean that the Northern Ireland backstop will stay in place until MPs reach an agreement that honours the UK’s obligations under the Good Friday agreement.

Who is the fucked is bothered by polls? Get back to reality. You are fucking leaving in 126 days.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8307  Postby zerne » Jun 27, 2019 6:53 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48790803

Labour MPs, Peers, members sign letters objecting to decision the allow Chris Williamson back in. The Labour Party Infight begins anew. Perhaps electing a leader is solution. Seems to be a popular tactic for some.

And Kezia Dugdale reckons that Corbyn might allow IndyRef2
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-48790775
I can see a scenario where the SNP go to Jeremy Corbyn and say we will will vote for every one of your budgets in the lifetime of your parliament in return for indyref2.

I think it's a serious prospect, and I don't say that in any attempt to cause a political drama - although I'm sure some people will perceive it that way.

It's hard to see, from my understanding, why he would walk away from power at that moment. I don't know that to be true, but it's just my feeling.

To put that in context. Last day of work, probably drunk. :grin:
zerne

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8308  Postby minininja » Jun 27, 2019 7:09 pm

zerne wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48790803

Labour MPs, Peers, members sign letters objecting to decision the allow Chris Williamson back in. The Labour Party Infight begins anew. Perhaps electing a leader is solution. Seems to be a popular tactic for some.

They criticise the process by which Mr Williamson was allowed back into the party, adding: "It is clear to us that the Labour Party's disciplinary process remains mired by the appearance of political interference. This must stop. We need a truly independent process."

They called on Mr Corbyn to "show leadership" by asking for this "damaging decision to be overturned and reviewed".

They need to make their bloody minds up whether they want the disciplinary process to be independent or if they want to blame Corbyn for every decision.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8309  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 27, 2019 7:30 pm

Please move the Labour crap to the right thread. It has no place here.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8310  Postby Beatsong » Jun 27, 2019 9:26 pm

Labour MPs, Peers, members sign letters objecting to decision the allow Chris Williamson back in. The Labour Party Infight begins anew. Perhaps electing a leader is solution.

Indeed. Elect a leader that is less threatening to the establishment and promises a return to nice pink Labour-lite, and I predict you'll be amazed at how quickly the antisemitism "problem" in the Labour party magically disappears. :thumbup:
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8311  Postby Beatsong » Jun 27, 2019 9:29 pm

minininja wrote:

They criticise the process by which Mr Williamson was allowed back into the party, adding: "It is clear to us that the Labour Party's disciplinary process remains mired by the appearance of political interference. This must stop. We need a truly independent process."

They called on Mr Corbyn to "show leadership" by asking for this "damaging decision to be overturned and reviewed".

They need to make their bloody minds up whether they want the disciplinary process to be independent or if they want to blame Corbyn for every decision.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Please Mr Corbyn: Stay out of the disciplinary process so it can be properly independent. And while you're at it, intervene in the disciplinary process so it can deliver the independent decisions we want it to!"
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8312  Postby Beatsong » Jun 27, 2019 9:32 pm

The Chris Williamson thing is fucking joke. It's not even the antisemitism scandal any more, it's the meta-antisemitism scandal. He's not even accused of saying anything antisemitic, he's just "accused" of criticising the Labour party's handling of other accusations that people have done so.

Apparently it's now antisemitic to claim that some people might be innocent of antisemitism.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8314  Postby zerne » Jun 27, 2019 10:19 pm

Don't worry, Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt have opened their mouths and given the public what passes for thoughts on their future plans as PM:

Renegotiate the (closed) WA to remove the (non-negotiable) Backstop

I believe they intend to follow this by dreaming the impossible dream and fighting the unbeatable foe.
zerne

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8315  Postby zerne » Jun 27, 2019 10:51 pm

Their fallback is no deal with petulant and empty threats being an seriously considered option.
These are apparently "Britian's Best" when it comes to Prime Minister. Dear god.

Oh, and Ruth Davidson is backing Hunt for PM. Because he needs that final nail.
zerne

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8316  Postby Beatsong » Jun 27, 2019 11:43 pm

ronmcd wrote:I wouldn't trust Mags Hodge as far as I could throw her.

She's a fucking disgrace.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8317  Postby OlivierK » Jun 28, 2019 12:48 am

I'm so fucking tired of hearing that the backstop is unacceptable.

All the backstop is is an agreement to stick with the status quo until the UK comes up with a workable alternative plan. Don't like the backstop, then come up with a fucking plan for the Irish border that's more sane than "We want independent trade policy, but no border controls". Such as remaining in customs union, or flesh out the mooted "technical solution".

It makes no sense at all to demand you need the freedom to move away from the status quo (negotiating away the backstop) even in the absence of any new arrangements to move to.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#8318  Postby zerne » Jun 28, 2019 1:02 am

Not all is lost. It's actually quite fun to watch a bunch of feckless Conservatives self-immolate in public. :lol:
zerne

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8319  Postby OlivierK » Jun 28, 2019 1:27 am

It would be more fun if that self-immolation led to them losing their grip on power. The fact that after all the the cringeworthy, plainly disqualifying reality denial they indulge in they're still left to run the country dulls the amusement somewhat.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#8320  Postby zerne » Jun 28, 2019 1:48 am

It's only temporary. Parliament prevents Bojo/Hunt from harming themselves or others. The gambits left are few and this has already consumed two Prime Ministers who were easily better at the job than either of those two. Another General Election seems to be likely.
zerne

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs