Brexit

The talks and negotiations.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Brexit

#8881  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 16, 2019 4:43 am

OlivierK wrote:
Beatsong wrote:If there's a vote of no confidence in Johnson, then Corbyn (as leader of the opposition, in accordance with the accepted process) has 14 days to attempt to build a majority. MPs will then be asked to vote "yes" or "no" on whether they have confidence in him as Prime Minister. That's all.

If the Lib Dems (along with enough others) vote "yes" then this whole sorry shitshow could potentially be stopped.

But of course it's Corbyn's fault (and will continue to be Corbyn's fault) that we're brexiting, cos he don't love the EU enough.

Well, yes, it is. Work backwards through what you wrote. Because Corbyn doesn't love the EU enough, it's not clear that he could command enough confidence from other MPs as someone capable of stopping the whole sorry shitshow, so they may not, indeed, be lining up to install him as an alternative PM in whom they have confidence.

Also the fact is he is unable to attract the rebel tory MP's and independents to his cause does not help him either. He appears to be an opportunist seeing his personal hate of the EU. He always voted against the EU in all its forms in his 40 year "political" career.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8882  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 16, 2019 5:19 am

Scot Dutchy wrote: He appears to be an opportunist seeing his personal hate of the EU. He always voted against the EU in all its forms in his 40 year "political" career.

Ahh that magical navel juice used to decree reality.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10133 ... olicy=6761

Jeremy Corbyn generally voted for UK membership of the EU

Key votes about UK membership of the EU:

On 29 Mar 2019: Jeremy Corbyn voted against leaving the EU with a [withdrawal] agreement as soon as possible and not to approve the negotiated withdrawal agreement and associated documents.

On 27 Mar 2019: Jeremy Corbyn voted against leaving the European Union on the 12th of April 2019 without a withdrawal agreement.

On 17 Jan 2018: Jeremy Corbyn voted against the United Kingdom leaving the European Union.

On 17 Jan 2018: Jeremy Corbyn voted against the United Kingdom leaving the European Union.

On 11 Sep 2017: Jeremy Corbyn voted against ending the supremacy of EU law in UK law; against converting EU law into domestic law on the UK's exit from the European Union and against giving ministers the power to correct deficiencies in retained EU law.

On 11 Sep 2017: Jeremy Corbyn voted against ending the supremacy of EU law in UK law; against converting EU law into domestic law on the UK's exit from the European Union and against giving ministers the power to correct deficiencies in retained EU law.

On 8 Feb 2017: Jeremy Corbyn voted to empower the Prime Minister to give notification of the United Kingdom's intention to leave the European Union.

On 8 Feb 2017: Jeremy Corbyn voted to empower the Prime Minister to give notification of the United Kingdom's intention to leave the European Union.

On 1 Feb 2017: Jeremy Corbyn was absent for a vote on European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Bill — Decline Second Reading

On 1 Feb 2017: Jeremy Corbyn voted to empower the Prime Minister to give notification of the United Kingdom's intention to leave the European Union.

On 7 Dec 2016: Jeremy Corbyn voted in favour of the United Kingdom leaving the European Union and in favour of starting the process by 31 March 2017.

On 7 Dec 2016: Jeremy Corbyn voted in favour of the United Kingdom leaving the European Union and in favour of starting the process by 31 March 2017.

On 14 Sep 2016: Jeremy Corbyn was absent for a vote on UK Withdrawal from Membership of the European Union

On 15 Jun 2016: Jeremy Corbyn voted to say the UK needs to stay in the EU.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu ... m-36430606

Jeremy Corbyn says 'overwhelming case' for staying in EU
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#8883  Postby GrahamH » Aug 16, 2019 6:04 am

Who could lead a caretaker government? Who would have the support replace BoJo?

Could harriet Harman fit the role?

I voted for a Customs Union, to Revoke Article 50 and for a people’s vote:

What she stands for is not a majority position in parliament, is it?

Could anyone who "loved the EU enough" secure the confidence of the house? Could a staunch remainer bring unity to this evenly split nation?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#8884  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 16, 2019 6:22 am

Of course that is 40 years of Corbyn's political career.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8885  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 16, 2019 6:24 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Of course that is 40 years of Corbyn's political career.

Which, of course, you cited in support of your contention.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#8886  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 16, 2019 6:25 am

GrahamH wrote:Who could lead a caretaker government?

Kenneth Clarke seems to fit the bill.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#8887  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 16, 2019 6:27 am

I dont have to cite it. If your are bothered look up Hansard.

Or here: https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10133/jeremy_corbyn/islington_north/divisions?policy=1065

Of course if you cherry pick.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8888  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 16, 2019 6:34 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:I dont have to cite it.

That's not how it works, is it?

Of course you need to cite external facts to support claims you make. That's just standard anywhere, but more so here.

Scot Dutchy wrote: If your are bothered look up Hansard.

Or you could cite it?

You're citing the exact same link I did which is literally titled:

Jeremy Corbyn generally voted for more EU integration

Which is exactly why it's standard to cite one's sources, so others can check whether those sources actually do support the contention.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#8889  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 16, 2019 6:51 am

So, would you like to amend this contention:

Scot Dutchy wrote:He always voted against the EU in all its forms in his 40 year "political" career.

Perhaps a more accurate rendition would run...

He sometimes voted against the EU in his 40 year political career.

But that might make it harder to have it jive with the preceding sentence about his alleged 'personal hate of the EU', for which, presumably, the claim about his voting record was meant to be support.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#8890  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 16, 2019 6:53 am

Boris Johnson news: Labour calls Swinson 'childish' after Lib Dem leader rejects Corbyn plan to thwart no-deal Brexit by becoming PM

Conservative MP breaks ranks to support plan as Brexit crisis continues

Jeremy Corbyn has challenged opposition parties and Tory rebels to instal him as caretaker prime minister so he can call a general election and prevent a no-deal Brexit under Boris Johnson.

Jo Swinson dismissed the plan as “nonsense”, saying the Labour leader could not unite opposition MPs, before proposing either Ken Clarke or Harriet Harman as a more suitable caretaker PM.

But Labour MPs rallied around the plan, urging Ms Swinson to reconsider her position.

The Lib Dem leader was branded “childish” by shadow education secretary Angela Rayner. The SNP, meanwhile, claimed they would work with Mr Corbyn, while a group of rebel Tory MPs said they were “happy to meet” him to discuss his plan.

Ms Swinson said she wanted to meet Mr Corbyn to discuss a solution to the Brexit crisis.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8891  Postby GrahamH » Aug 16, 2019 7:18 am

Spearthrower wrote:

What is the bill?

Mr Clarke, who has drawn up high-profile plans for a softer Brexit, is arguably the most talented Conservative MP in modern history to have never become leader of the party. Critics and fans alike agree the 78-year-old MP for Rushcliffe never quite made it to the top because of his stubborn support for the EU — which at one point included backing UK membership of the euro.

https://www.ft.com/content/42c75142-548 ... e89bedc16e

I can't see him getting support from The ERG, the DUP or most of those who gave their support to BJ in the leadership contest. Are you aware of any stats that indicate he could win the confidence of the house? Is he just too pro EU to do that?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#8892  Postby GrahamH » Aug 16, 2019 7:20 am

This is probably overstated. It may be just one Tory MP saying a Corbyn government is better that a no deal exit.

Tory rebels 'back Corbyn PM bid'

Remain-supporting Tories have hinted that they could favour installing Jeremy Corbyn as an interim prime minister over a no-deal Brexit.
The Labour leader reached out across the political divide to gain support for his plan to lead a caretaker government.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/b ... spartanntp
Last edited by GrahamH on Aug 16, 2019 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#8893  Postby Beatsong » Aug 16, 2019 7:21 am

nunnington wrote:
zerne wrote:
Beatsong wrote:You're over-thinking it. Accepted constitutional convention says that when a vote of no confidence succeeds against the government, the leader of the opposition has first crack at forming a government that can command confidence. Pretty obvious really as the opposition is (by definition) the next largest party after the one that has just failed.

In this case, it's even more simple because all an interim government has to DO - and all anyone it talking about it doing - is delay brexit and call an election. Noone is being asked to support Corbyn's economic policy or foreign policy.

So it should be pretty easy, right? cos the Lib Dems, so I hear, are totally, unequivocally committed to stopping Brexit. They'd never let petty political squabbling and point scoring get in the way of doing so, unlike those terrible cynical Labour people...

As a logical beginning point, following convention is fine. I can accept that. Hopefully there is room for negotiation with the Labour Party on this and it develops. Plenty of better candidates.

But why have Labour involved as PM or deputy at all? If they were serious and wanted to do this well, wouldn't it make more sense to have a rebel Conservative PM? It highlights the division there and the split that makes it necessary. Have a Lib Dem deputy. That way Labour can maintain their ambivalence around Brexit and avoid the worst of the backlash of what will undoubtedly be dubbed "THE GREAT BETRAYAL"

That's a good point. If there is a PM who succeeds Boris, and calls an election against no deal, they will be slaughtered in the right wing media, they will need permanent minders, there will be serious death threats. Apparently, democracy means never changing your mind.

All the more reason to have Corbyn, who's already so slaughtered that it can't get any worse.
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8894  Postby GrahamH » Aug 16, 2019 7:23 am

Beatsong wrote:
All the more reason to have Corbyn, who's already so slaughtered that it can't get any worse.

I bet it can get worse.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#8895  Postby GrahamH » Aug 16, 2019 7:26 am

Nicola Sturgeon backs Jeremy Corbyn on Brexit, as Labour leader accused of 'surrender' over a second independence referendum

Tory rebels hint support for Corbyn as interim PM over…
Jeremy Corbyn has "surrendered" to the SNP over a second independence referendum, it was claimed today, as Nicola Sturgeon said she would work with the Labour government to prevent a no-deal Brexit.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/n ... spartanntp

More from The Scotsman
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#8896  Postby Beatsong » Aug 16, 2019 7:35 am

Spearthrower wrote:
Beatsong wrote:
It isn't a legally or politically meaningful distinction, at the point it's happening, whether you call it a Labour government or a National Unity government. If the majority party fails to command the confidence of the house, the next largest party to attempt to do so (ie, the opposition) will always, by definition, be a minority party, so they will always need the support of MPs from outside of their own party. I'm certainly no legal expert but when those who are describe this stuff, they don't seem to focus on which way the new government gets labelled. It always seems to come down to one thing: simply, whether anyone can "command the confidence of the house".

Right, but I think there's a distinction there between government and party. It's the government which has lost the confidence vote, not the party. The government could, in theory, be brought down by their own party, and a new leader could be selected who does command sufficient confidence from the remaining MP's of their own party. Not the case here, obviously with the slim majority and tenuous DUP support, but in principle I don't think it's solely the right of the opposition to form a new government after a no confidence succeeds.

According to wiki you're right and I'm wrong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motions_o ... l_practice

Under the Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011, a passing of a motion of no confidence is one of only two ways in which an early election can occur (the other is a motion to hold an early election passed by at least two-thirds of MPs). Following a successful motion, Parliament must dissolve, unless the motion is overturned within 14 days by the passing of an explicit motion of confidence. This procedure is designed to allow a minority government time to seek the support of other parties (as a formal coalition or with a confidence and supply arrangement) to avoid having to face re-election, or to allow an alternative government to be formed.[72]

In principle, the alternative government could be led by any MP who can draw together enough support for a legislative programme that secures a vote of confidence and, by convention, a request from the Queen to form such a government. In practice, it is likely to be the leader, or a senior member, of a party with a significant number of MPs in the House that can achieve this. In turn they could be expected to bring about an early election using the two-thirds of MPs provision of the Fixed-Term Act to gain a popular mandate for their programme.

So fair enough, I stand corrected. It always baffles me how much of what happens in UK politics has to do with people's interpretations of convention and expectation, rather than explicit written laws.
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8897  Postby OlivierK » Aug 16, 2019 7:54 am

GrahamH wrote:
Beatsong wrote:

I bet it can get worse.

With Brexit, that's a reasonable assumption.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#8898  Postby GrahamH » Aug 16, 2019 8:01 am

Business daily Handelsblatt reports that German officials expect Britain to leave the European Union without a deal at the end of October and consider the EU's preparations for this eventuality to be "largely completed."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/t ... spartanntp
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#8899  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 16, 2019 8:02 am

GrahamH wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

What is the bill?

Commanding enough support from different parties to form a government.

GrahamH wrote:

Mr Clarke, who has drawn up high-profile plans for a softer Brexit, is arguably the most talented Conservative MP in modern history to have never become leader of the party. Critics and fans alike agree the 78-year-old MP for Rushcliffe never quite made it to the top because of his stubborn support for the EU — which at one point included backing UK membership of the euro.

https://www.ft.com/content/42c75142-548 ... e89bedc16e

I can't see him getting support from The ERG, the DUP or most of those who gave their support to BJ in the leadership contest. Are you aware of any stats that indicate he could win the confidence of the house? Is he just too pro EU to do that?

I'm not sure any potential caretaker government could get ERG support as they want out of the EU regardless, so a BoJo no deal is perfect for them. I haven't done the math, but I assume that there's more than ample numbers of other MPs to form a government even in the total absence of ERG support? The DUP though have to be eyeing the approaching deadline with trepidation as it will ensure a new border between RoI and the UK which they can't support.
Last edited by Spearthrower on Aug 16, 2019 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#8900  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 16, 2019 8:04 am

Beatsong wrote:
According to wiki you're right and I'm wrong:

Ahh Beatsong... if only this was how this subforum operated by default! :thumbup:

Beatsong wrote:
So fair enough, I stand corrected. It always baffles me how much of what happens in UK politics has to do with people's interpretations of convention and expectation, rather than explicit written laws.

I think it's why it's so often called 'quaint', but it is perplexing at the best of times.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs