Dawkins sues Josh Timonen

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Dawkins sues Josh Timonen

#1181  Postby virphen » Oct 25, 2010 7:00 am

Mononoke wrote:Best comment ever.

Posted by: Ichthyic Author Profile Page | October 25, 2010 2:29 AM

Everyone ragging on Timonen for his lack of web design ability are forgetting that it takes time and energy to cheat an organization out of hundreds of thousands of dollars. He didn't also have time for web design.

LOL

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010 ... nt-2878144

I hope Ichthyic doesn't mind me posting this here :angel:

He shouldn't he was quoting an earlier comment by ChrisZ and merely added the "LOL" :P
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#1182  Postby Mononoke » Oct 25, 2010 7:02 am

virphen wrote:
Mononoke wrote:Best comment ever.

Posted by: Ichthyic Author Profile Page | October 25, 2010 2:29 AM

Everyone ragging on Timonen for his lack of web design ability are forgetting that it takes time and energy to cheat an organization out of hundreds of thousands of dollars. He didn't also have time for web design.

LOL

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010 ... nt-2878144

I hope Ichthyic doesn't mind me posting this here :angel:

He shouldn't he was quoting an earlier comment by ChrisZ and merely added the "LOL" :P

:oops:
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#1183  Postby mcgruff » Oct 25, 2010 7:02 am

BrandySpears wrote:
riddlemethis wrote:
virphen wrote:I really think all this stuff about his relationship is really, really lame. And cruel. And very superficial.

Yep, here, definitely, but I expect that mentioned in the complaint it is germaine to the action. . .we just don't know why?

Maybe is was relevant to explain the accusations of payments to her teenage children?

The lawyers will spin the facts just as much as they can get away with. The narrative they seem to be trying to create is a young man, a little bit out of his depth at work and also in his personal life, trying to maintain a relationship with an older woman who already has several children. They may try to hint that insecurity drove him to shower his girlfriend and her children with gifts in order to prove his worth, or they may try to paint her as the experienced older woman, a Lady Macbeth leading her partner astray.

They're just messin' with your head.
mcgruff

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1184  Postby Mantisdreamz » Oct 25, 2010 7:06 am

:mad:

I agree... I don't see why there should be any mention of the age of his girlfriend. And, I don't understand why there is a picture of them posted on the blog, and also brought into this discussion. Seems pretty unnecessary.

And, I also agree, that nothing can really be truly said until after the court case.
Mantisdreamz

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1185  Postby Aca » Oct 25, 2010 7:15 am

26 pages since last night :eek:
on an island marooned in the Middle Ages
Aca

Male

Malta (mt)
Print view this post

#1186  Postby Festeringbob » Oct 25, 2010 7:19 am

Mantisdreamz wrote::mad:

I agree... I don't see why there should be any mention of the age of his girlfriend. And, I don't understand why there is a picture of them posted on the blog, and also brought into this discussion. Seems pretty unnecessary.

And, I also agree, that nothing can really be truly said until after the court case.

she could be complicit in the alleged crimes

edit- also i'm guessing Monkeyhole is one of this ladies teenage children :think:
Liberty Prime is online. All systems nominal. Weapons hot. Mission: the destruction of any and all Chinese communists.
Festeringbob

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#1187  Postby hotshoe » Oct 25, 2010 7:24 am

Festeringbob wrote:

edit- also i'm guessing Monkeyhole is one of this ladies teenage children :think:

Maureens's listed as a defendant on at least one of the points - so Dawkins' lawyers certainly think she is complicit in at least some of the crimes.

Good guess about Monkeyhole - one of the teenagers would sound like that. I wonder if we'll ever know for sure.
Now, when I talked to God I knew he'd understand
He said, "Stick by my side and I'll be your guiding hand
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to"
hotshoe

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1188  Postby Mononoke » Oct 25, 2010 7:25 am

Festeringbob wrote:

:rofl:
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#1189  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Oct 25, 2010 7:26 am

I second that.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1190  Postby riddlemethis » Oct 25, 2010 7:41 am

mcgruff wrote:
BrandySpears wrote:
riddlemethis wrote:

Yep, here, definitely, but I expect that mentioned in the complaint it is germaine to the action. . .we just don't know why?

Maybe is was relevant to explain the accusations of payments to her teenage children?

The lawyers will spin the facts just as much as they can get away with. The narrative they seem to be trying to create is a young man, a little bit out of his depth at work and also in his personal life, trying to maintain a relationship with an older woman who already has several children. They may try to hint that insecurity drove him to shower his girlfriend and her children with gifts in order to prove his worth, or they may try to paint her as the experienced older woman, a Lady Macbeth leading her partner astray.

They're just messin' with your head.

Why would the plaintiff's lawyers want to do that; mitigate the responsibility of the number one defendant? There's nothing in that for them & as he's the one with the established relationship (& supposed contract) with them, not her. At a guess, I wonder if it isn't to do with her family having been paid funds & making clear that the connection between Josh & this family is as a group of adults, that does not include children - perhaps to circumvent the very defence suggested above? Something like that seems more plausible than any effort to soften JT's responsibility. I reckon lawyers include certain types of information for a reason, especially if it could otherwise appear to be discriminatory (or just plain irrelevant). Expect it will become more clear during the hearing.
I told the priest, don't count on any second coming. God got his ass kicked the first time he came down here slumming. - Concrete Blonde

Reason is the servant of the passions - David Hume

You got to be Jesus crazy to pull a move like that. - Victor T
riddlemethis

Female

Print view this post

#1191  Postby Aca » Oct 25, 2010 7:42 am

I dont know if this was posted already, but Independent has an article about it

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 15632.html

An ungodly row: Dawkins sues his disciple

Evolutionist's charity accuses protégé of stealing hundreds of thousands of pounds
on an island marooned in the Middle Ages
Aca

Male

Malta (mt)
Print view this post

#1192  Postby atrasicarius » Oct 25, 2010 7:43 am

BrandySpears wrote:
atrasicarius wrote:
Seraph wrote:Looking at the document filed by the lawyer acting on behalf of the plaintiffs, a couple of points make me fear that RDFSR and Dawkins will not find this court case as easy to win as it should be. The first two items read "Breach of oral contract" and "Breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing".

The old saying that a verbal contract is not worth the paper it is written on is an exaggeration, but there is a kernel of truth in it.

Even if he cant prove a breach of contract, the fraud and embezzlement should be pretty easy to prove, and those are the big ones.

How are you going to prove fraud or embezzlement when you don't have a contract to see what the guidelines were in the contract for disbursement of funds?

If the site said "All profits to the RDF," and the profits were going into someone's pocket instead, that seems pretty clear cut to me.
The only things that are infinite are the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.
Einstein

In a society that has abolished all adventures, the only adventure left is to abolish society.
The Black Iron Prison
atrasicarius

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1193  Postby I'm With Stupid » Oct 25, 2010 7:49 am

atrasicarius wrote:
BrandySpears wrote:
atrasicarius wrote:

Even if he cant prove a breach of contract, the fraud and embezzlement should be pretty easy to prove, and those are the big ones.

How are you going to prove fraud or embezzlement when you don't have a contract to see what the guidelines were in the contract for disbursement of funds?

If the site said "All profits to the RDF," and the profits were going into someone's pocket instead, that seems pretty clear cut to me.

Depends whether it was profits or "costs/fees" going in his pocket (allegedly).
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#1194  Postby twistor59 » Oct 25, 2010 7:51 am

Aca wrote:I dont know if this was posted already, but Independent has an article about it

Evolutionist's charity accuses protégé of stealing hundreds of thousands of pounds

One of the commenters on that article came up with the gem:

If he had had the sense to employ somebody which Christian or Muslim values - or even somebody who had some sense of spirituality - this would have been much less likely to have happened. An atheist who believes that he has to grab everything he can in this life because when he's dead that's the end of it isn't really the best person to trust with large sums of money.

:roll:
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1195  Postby Mantisdreamz » Oct 25, 2010 7:53 am

Festeringbob wrote:

:?

She probably is... but, why the picture of her & him at the poolside?! There's no reason for it!
Mantisdreamz

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1196  Postby rEvolutionist » Oct 25, 2010 7:56 am

twistor59 wrote:

If he had had the sense to employ somebody which Christian or Muslim values - or even somebody who had some sense of spirituality - this would have been much less likely to have happened. An atheist who believes that he has to grab everything he can in this life because when he's dead that's the end of it isn't really the best person to trust with large sums of money.

Oh FFS. And now it starts in earnest....
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#1197  Postby Simon_Gardner » Oct 25, 2010 7:57 am

Aca wrote:I dont know if this was posted already, but Independent has an article about it

It was.
Image (Since 27 Nov 1987)
Dates - YYYY/MM/DD; measure metric scientific.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts - attrib Patrick Moynihan
Simon_Gardner

Name: Twitter @Simon_Gardner

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1198  Postby rEvolutionist » Oct 25, 2010 7:57 am

Mantisdreamz wrote:
Festeringbob wrote:

:?

She probably is... but, why the picture of her & him at the poolside?! There's no reason for it!

Just to be clear: She IS a co-defendant. It is in the court document that PZ has posted on his blog.
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#1199  Postby Gallstones » Oct 25, 2010 7:59 am

riddlemethis wrote:
Seraph wrote:Looking at the document filed by the lawyer acting on behalf of the plaintiffs, a couple of points make me fear that RDFSR and Dawkins will not find this court case as easy to win as it should be. The first two items read "Breach of oral contract" and "Breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing".

The old saying that a verbal contract is not worth the paper it is written on is an exaggeration, but there is a kernel of truth in it.

What I wonder though Seraph is whether by acceptance of contracting fees JT has not explicity accepted/formalised the contract. I'm no legal expert, but coupled with the statements mentioned in the document as being caused by JT referencing the allocation of funds, this stands to reason I think. Given the burden of proof in a civil action, they might well have legs.

We still don't know if or how much he has disclosed to the IRS.
I want to know.
Gallstones

Print view this post

#1200  Postby Mononoke » Oct 25, 2010 8:01 am

twistor59 wrote:

I think he was being sarcastic
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs