Dutch Elections

15-03-2017

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Dutch Elections

#141  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 16, 2017 11:10 am

JoeB wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:The coalition prospects are looking good for VVD,CDA,D'66 and CU.

With a 1 seat majority I reckon this to be the second choice, after the VVD, CDA, D66 and Groenlinks formation, depending on the compatibility between VVD and Groenlinks, there is more room for break-away members then. D66 and CU might conflict a lot too, and only 1 person has to break away for a crisis.

But as you said, it's going to be a steady as she goes cabinet, probably putting strong borders around subjects and then dividing them among parties, giving each something they want to deal with.

Entirely agree Joe. There is one but painful coalition possible and that is VVD, CDA, D'66 and PvdA. 80 seats in Tweede Kamer AND 43 from the 75 in the Senaat which is always nice to have but would PvdA have the stomach for it.

Groen Links should be invited though as a major winner but as with SP they may think (falsely IMO) they can achieve more in opposition. As you say this time the demarcation of policies will be much stronger.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#142  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 16, 2017 12:23 pm

Regardless D66 and CDA have the best bargaining position.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#143  Postby felltoearth » Mar 16, 2017 12:28 pm

mrjonno wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:Not the worst election results possible, but still pretty bad imo.
The chance of a centre-right government is high.

Politics has now moved beyond left and right, its now a case of does a country elect a dangerous lunatic or not. It doesn't really matter where they are on a left/right economic scale anymore

That's incredibly sad to me.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#144  Postby mrjonno » Mar 16, 2017 12:32 pm

felltoearth wrote:
mrjonno wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:Not the worst election results possible, but still pretty bad imo.
The chance of a centre-right government is high.

Politics has now moved beyond left and right, its now a case of does a country elect a dangerous lunatic or not. It doesn't really matter where they are on a left/right economic scale anymore

That's incredibly sad to me.

Sad but still true, a country and the world should breath a sigh of relief every time someone is elected who isn't likely to start WW3 or rounding up people with the wrong skin colour, haircut etc.

France is about to have its elections and its someone vaguely right versus someone vaguely left versus someone who is a complete fascist . In the grander scheme of things as long as its one of the first two life will continue
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#145  Postby felltoearth » Mar 16, 2017 1:02 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Lets hope Jesse Klaver and Groen Links can build on their success and not be a one day wonder as SP has turned out to be.

There have been a lot of stories in the news here about the Dutch election and Jesse Klaver was singled out because his message and looks remind people of Trudeau. He has my last name and everyone who has read the piece asks me if we're related :eyeroll:
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#146  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 16, 2017 2:16 pm

There is a great interactive coalition chart you can play with and it includes one important fact not so much talked about which coalition would have the better support in the Senaat.
http://www.volkskrant.nl/politiek/internationale-media-over-verkiezingsuitslag-klap-voor-populisme-rutte-is-de-held~a4475099/
The coalition taking that to mind is VVD, CDA, D'66 and PvdA. A good workable majority in both Tweede Kamer and Senaat; 80 from 150 and 43 from 75.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#147  Postby tuco » Mar 16, 2017 4:54 pm

Neat.

Since Senaat is(?) another element in division of powers, a safety mechanism, perhaps it should not apriori support decisions made in Tweede Kamer. Tho political parties forming government/coalition do not probably see it this way.

I have:

80 zetels: VVD – PvdA – D66 – GL – PvdD
(Eerste Kamer: 37 van de 75 zetels)

Party for the Animals!, mixed green spice and no Christian bs.
tuco

Print view this post

#148  Postby james1v » Mar 16, 2017 5:55 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
JoeB wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:The coalition prospects are looking good for VVD,CDA,D'66 and CU.

With a 1 seat majority I reckon this to be the second choice, after the VVD, CDA, D66 and Groenlinks formation, depending on the compatibility between VVD and Groenlinks, there is more room for break-away members then. D66 and CU might conflict a lot too, and only 1 person has to break away for a crisis.

But as you said, it's going to be a steady as she goes cabinet, probably putting strong borders around subjects and then dividing them among parties, giving each something they want to deal with.

Entirely agree Joe. There is one but painful coalition possible and that is VVD, CDA, D'66 and PvdA. 80 seats in Tweede Kamer AND 43 from the 75 in the Senaat which is always nice to have but would PvdA have the stomach for it.

Groen Links should be invited though as a major winner but as with SP they may think (falsely IMO) they can achieve more in opposition. As you say this time the demarcation of policies will be much stronger.

Good grief! So many combinations...Its going to be like untangling the lights for the tree at Xmass! :?
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#149  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 16, 2017 6:04 pm

tuco wrote:Neat.

Since Senaat is(?) another element in division of powers, a safety mechanism, perhaps it should not apriori support decisions made in Tweede Kamer. Tho political parties forming government/coalition do not probably see it this way.

It shouldn't. Legally, political parties don't even exist.
The job of the Senaat is to check whether laws and other decisions from the 2e Kamer are legally sound. Not to vote politically on those decisions.
Last edited by Thomas Eshuis on Mar 16, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#150  Postby james1v » Mar 16, 2017 6:13 pm

So, the fascist has been beaten into second place...That's not good. I was hoping for a bigger beating.
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#151  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 16, 2017 6:15 pm

james1v wrote:So, the fascist has been beaten into second place...That's not good. I was hoping for a bigger beating.

On the positive side, I don't think they'll be able to get much bigger than the projected results. Now or in the future.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#152  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 16, 2017 7:05 pm

Wilders is dead. His fate will be like Leefbaar Nederland which was a weak dilution of the LPF. (een zwakke aftreksel)

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#153  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Mar 16, 2017 7:17 pm

Congratulations on not electing a bigot. :thumbup:
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#154  Postby Animavore » Mar 16, 2017 7:20 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:Congratulations on not electing a bigot. :thumbup:

Is this what the World is coming to now that we're giving people props for not fucking up? :grin:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#155  Postby tuco » Mar 16, 2017 7:50 pm

Worried world.
tuco

Print view this post

#156  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Mar 16, 2017 8:13 pm

Animavore wrote:
CdesignProponentsist wrote:Congratulations on not electing a bigot. :thumbup:

Is this what the World is coming to now that we're giving people props for not fucking up? :grin:

Unfortunately so. I'm hoping this is just a phase.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#157  Postby tuco » Mar 16, 2017 8:20 pm

It is just a phase. The only problem with hairless monkeys, maybe my faith in them is not so irrational after all, is that they usually act after fuck up, unlike acting before to prevent fuck ups. The Dutch election had 77.7%(?) turnout, probably because many realized, in the light of Trump and Brexit, it mattered.
tuco

Print view this post

#158  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 17, 2017 8:39 am

Turnout was 82%.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#159  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 17, 2017 11:28 am

Another example of the difference between US and European understanding of politics.
The VVD is not a centrist party.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#160  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 17, 2017 12:09 pm

I think it a POV thing. The VVD would be I suppose to many Americans right of the Democrats but not by far.
The hair thing was quite funny. One thing obvious was the winner and loser thing. There are not two sides here so who has won and lost is reduced to who has down well and bad. VVD lost 8 seats and Wilders won 5 but that says nothing without the context it occurred in. VVD survived much the meltdown of the government compared to the PvdA. Wilders failed completely the expected gains that he would make (40+ seats).

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs