Gay premier has no right to implement sex ed program

Says opposition leadership candidate.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Gay premier has no right to implement sex ed program

#101  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 04, 2015 3:58 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:You can joke about this, but to me it's sickening that these parents force their own insecurities on their children and thus force them to remain ignorant. :nono:

I doubt many of them are. They'd like to think they are, but the kids know better.

They are right on one point: They can't shield their kids from knowledge. Anything the other kids learn in sex ed will become part of the general culture and spread to all kids thru osmosis.

Oh I'm sure most of them will find out anyone, it's just the general principle I have issues with: denying your kids knowledge/education because of your own insecurities.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#102  Postby felltoearth » Jun 04, 2015 8:54 pm

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out, folks.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#103  Postby Shrunk » Jun 04, 2015 9:58 pm

felltoearth wrote:Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out, folks.

It's almost kind of cute how they think this would be an effective threat. Having homophobic Muslims leave the country is one of the few things upon which the left and right might agree.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#104  Postby Shrunk » Jun 12, 2015 4:00 pm

A couple members of the Toronto Catholic School Board tried to delay the implementation of the curriculum:

Substantial parts of the curriculum contradict Catholic teachings... This is very personal and intimate material that we are asking educators to provide to our children. It is wrong for us to deny parents the opportunity to share with us what they think and that is why I am asking my Trustee colleagues to send a letter to the Ministry of Education requesting that we be allowed to delay implementation.

However, the measure was voted down 8-4.

Still waiting for the Catholic uprising Mick was promising. :coffee:
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#105  Postby Onyx8 » Jun 12, 2015 6:25 pm

They get one every time they review the sex-ed curriculum.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#106  Postby THWOTH » Jun 13, 2015 2:14 am

Many Catholics are ill at ease with themselves over sexual matters - like they're supposed to I guess - but it's such shame when they think their guilt ridden 'normal' should be everyone else's normal too.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#107  Postby laklak » Jun 13, 2015 7:57 pm

Except the girls from Bishop Kenny High School. They were fast, man. If you couldn't get laid by a Bishop Kenny girl then you couldn't get laid in a Nevada whore house with a fistful of C notes.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#108  Postby Shrunk » Sep 02, 2015 9:01 pm

With school set to resume next week, the revised sex-ed curriculum will be rolled out. Some are still opposing it, and the Campaign Life Coalition attempted to organize a protest today, with demonstrators picketing the offices of all members of the provincial legislature. As you can see by the pictures below, however, they did not exactly turn our in overwhelming numbers:

http://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto/educ ... vince.html

Meanwhile, one school board member gets it:

Parents can remove their kids from sex-ed classes for religious reasons, but any requests for students to opt-out of learning about gay families or diverse gender identities won’t be tolerated, says the director of Ontario’s second largest school board — one that expects to be hard hit by protests over the new health curriculum.

The same day as anti-sex-ed rallies were planned outside Liberal MPP offices across the province, Tony Pontes was to tell teachers and superintendents about the Peel board’s tough stand, saying if parents have a problem with such strong support for equity and inclusion, the public system may not be right for them.

“Let’s be clear: Some in our community may not like this,” he says in a speech to be given Wednesday morning, a copy of which was provided to the Star.

After noting the 905-area board is opening its first gender-neutral washroom at a high school as well as introducing a new gender identity guideline for educators, some parents “may choose to switch school systems … if so, that is a price we must be willing to pay.

“We cannot — we will not — by action or inaction endorse discrimination,” said Pontes, who cited Ontario’s Human Rights Code as applying to people of all sexual orientation and gender identity. “Supported by legal opinion, bolstered by our core values, I would no more say yes to someone wanting a child excluded because of a discussion about LGBTQ than I would a discussion about race or gender.”...
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#109  Postby felltoearth » Sep 03, 2015 3:20 pm

From the article:

Parents with young and school-aged children in tow climbed out of a school bus and stood in front of the office, fighting the sounds of nearby traffic with shouts of “shame” and calling on Wynne’s government to “let kids be kids.”

I've seen kids be kids. It ain't pretty. It's even worse when such behavior goes uncorrected into adulthood.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#110  Postby Shrunk » Sep 03, 2015 4:29 pm

felltoearth wrote:I've seen kids be kids. It ain't pretty. It's even worse when such behavior goes uncorrected into adulthood.

That's kind of the whole point of school, isn't? To help kids start acting in the way expected of adults.

This article from Toronto Life leaves little doubt regarding the degree to which the opposition is based on straight out homophobia:

In protests and online messages, parents talk about “indoctrination.” Others, like Jotvinder Sodhi, feel that the curriculum forces kids to think about gender and sexual identity too early. “Let’s say my son likes pink,” he remarked. “You are saying, ‘Oh, you like pink?’ Then you’re slowly moving toward, ‘Oh, you may be a girl now.’ ” I told him that seemed like a bit of a jump. “It’s not a jump. It’s not a jump!” he said, his voice rising. “You have books in classrooms that have two mothers, two fathers! Why is that agenda being taught in the schools?” Some kids may have same-sex parents, Sodhi acknowledged, but why should that minority dictate what happens in the entire class? “If one kid is sick, do you treat the whole classroom?”...

After hours of speeches, the crowd assembled to march down University Avenue. At the head of the parade, Sodhi and ­Siddiqui clambered onto the back of a rented flatbed truck, joining other organizers at the forefront of a new movement. As the caravan began to move, a man on the truck led the crowd in a call-and-response chant. “Kathleen loser,” he yelled, his voice raspy after an afternoon of shouting.

“Loser, loser!” the crowd answered back.

“Liberal loser!” he shouted.

“Loser, loser!” said the crowd.

“Lesbian loser!” he shouted, before another organizer hurriedly wrestled the microphone away from him....

The irony is that these are people who have benefited from government policies supporting multiculturalism and diversity, particularly in school, and who are now using those very principles to deny those same benefits to another marginalized group.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#111  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Sep 03, 2015 4:34 pm

Before I go thinking something stupid and racist, are a lot of the opposition to this curriculum and the scary gay premier to blame for it devout Muslims?
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#112  Postby Shrunk » Sep 03, 2015 4:40 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Before I go thinking something stupid and racist, are a lot of the opposition to this curriculum and the scary gay premier to blame for it devout Muslims?

Yes, as well as other recent immigrants from more conservative cultures. At least, those are the people who have been most visible in opposition. (Have a look at that Toronto Life article. I mean literally just a look. The pictures will tell you what you need to know). That said, I suspect the Christians who are opposed to the curriculum are seeing it as a winning strategy to let minority groups take most of the credit/blame for the opposition, as it's a bit harder for the lefties to criticize them.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#113  Postby Shrunk » May 13, 2016 9:33 pm

Toronto school offers sanitized sex-ed amid parent concern

An alternative to Ontario’s updated health curriculum is being offered by the Toronto elementary school that found itself at the centre of the sex-education controversy — with Grade 1 students having the option to learn about “private parts” instead of proper names for genitalia.

Thorncliffe Park Principal Jeff Crane said because a number of parents had concerns about their children being taught the words penis and vagina, the school decided to offer a class where teachers covered the key issue of inappropriate touching without being specific about body parts, a move meant to keep kids in school this week and at least learn some of the curriculum.

About 60 per cent of the 300 students in that grade were taught the proper curriculum, the remaining 40 per cent the sanitized version.

“We let parents know ahead of time when the health strands for human development were being taught and, for Grade 1, that there would be one lesson where there would be discussion of body parts … They were told if learning the names of genitalia was a concern, they could write me a letter requesting a religious accommodation,” said Crane, whose school is located in the riding represented by Premier Kathleen Wynne, who championed the updated health curriculum.

Parents were told “the lesson would be exactly the same, but instead of using proper terms like penis and vagina, we would use the term ‘private parts.’ The key learning in that expectation is that this is a part of your body always covered with clothes, nobody touches it and you don’t show anybody. We were able to maintain the integrity of the expectation with a very simple accommodation.”...

:roll:
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#114  Postby Acetone » May 13, 2016 9:52 pm

Bizarre.

I think at that age one should be able to handle "I have a penis and should not flap it in anyone's face and no one but me should touch it". Without turning into a sexual deviant.
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs