Gay premier has no right to implement sex ed program

Says opposition leadership candidate.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Gay premier has no right to implement sex ed program

#1  Postby Shrunk » Feb 25, 2015 2:02 pm

A few hundred people gathered outside the Ontario legislature Tuesday to protest the province's revised sex-education curriculum, while inside Premier Kathleen Wynne went on the attack against an Opposition critic.

Progressive Conservative Monte McNaughton, who is running for the party's leadership, is openly critical of the updated curriculum and said it's not the job of the premier – "especially Kathleen Wynne" – to tell parents what is age appropriate for their children.

Wynne, who is openly gay, demanded that McNaughton explain why he feels she is not qualified to set standards for kids in schools.

"Is it that I'm a woman? Is it that I'm a mother? Is it that I have a master's of education? Is it that I was a school council chair? Is it that I was the minister of education?" Wynne said in the legislature....

McNaughton said Wynne's suggestion that he's homophobic is "the lowest thing a premier of Ontario could say about any other legislator."...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/s ... -1.2970133

Actually, no, I don't think that the "lowest thing" one could say.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Gay premier has no right to implement sex ed program

#2  Postby Sendraks » Feb 25, 2015 2:05 pm

So McNaughton - it is fine with you for parents not to educate their children about sex at all? Give them no grounding about what's involved, what's acceptable, what's safe? Plenty of parents fail to do that you know.

Heaven forfend that the state try to provide a consistent education for everyone.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Shrunk » Feb 25, 2015 2:21 pm

Sendraks wrote:So McNaughton - it is fine with you for parents not to educate their children about sex at all? Give them no grounding about what's involved, what's acceptable, what's safe? Plenty of parents fail to do that you know.

Heaven forfend that the state try to provide a consistent education for everyone.

Ontario already has a sex ed program. It just hasn't been revised since 1999. Needless to say, the world has changed a bit since then, as summarized here:

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/news ... urriculum/

I don't really know what McNaughton's specific concerns are about the new curriculum. I'm not sure he even has any. He's running as the "real conservative" candidate for the leadership of his party (he received the endorsement of Rob Ford and, seemingly, is happy with that) , and my guess as to what happened here is that he thought he was blowing a dog whistle, but instead it was the regular whistle that everyone could hear.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Feb 25, 2015 2:27 pm

Sounds a lot he is protesting a bit too much about being called a homophobe. She asked what his problem with her was, listed a bunch of things that aren't her being homosexual and then somehow he got to being upset about being called homophobic. Perhaps she said more that isn't reported but from that article it sounds a lot like he knew damn well he couldn't actually answer her question without admitting to the problem being her sexuality so he just jumped to being indignant about being called on it.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Shrunk » Feb 25, 2015 4:20 pm

DarthHelmet86 wrote:Sounds a lot he is protesting a bit too much about being called a homophobe. She asked what his problem with her was, listed a bunch of things that aren't her being homosexual and then somehow he got to being upset about being called homophobic. Perhaps she said more that isn't reported but from that article it sounds a lot like he knew damn well he couldn't actually answer her question without admitting to the problem being her sexuality so he just jumped to being indignant about being called on it.

I heard some other interview where he "clarified" that he was actually referring to other scandals that the gov't has been involved in (which mostly predated Wynne's premiership). It seemed to me just another transparent dodge.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Shrunk » Feb 25, 2015 4:22 pm

BTW, here's another thread I started about Kathleen Wynne. It's just kinda cute:

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post2032210.html
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Pulsar » Feb 25, 2015 5:11 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Progressive Conservative Monte McNaughton

What the hell is a Progressive Conservative? :scratch:
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#8  Postby willhud9 » Feb 25, 2015 5:15 pm

Yeah, I was thrown off by that as well...:lol: Canadians and their weird contradictory political parties.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Paul » Feb 25, 2015 5:15 pm

Pulsar wrote:
Shrunk wrote:
Progressive Conservative Monte McNaughton

What the hell is a Progressive Conservative? :scratch:

Deeply conflicted.
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Shrunk » Feb 25, 2015 8:43 pm

Photo of the anti- sex-ed protest:

I bet that's got the government really worried.

Apparently the Catholic Church is on side with the new curriculum.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11  Postby felltoearth » Feb 25, 2015 9:25 pm

Progressive Conservatives actually had members within their ranks that would be considered left of American Democrats -- at least at one time. They were often called Red Tories. Their platforms were based on socially progressive policies within a framework of fiscal conservatism, ie. we'll spend money but only if it makes fiscal sense.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Feb 25, 2015 9:43 pm

Shrunk wrote:Photo of the anti- sex-ed protest:

STOP WHINING!

Assholes
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Mackson » Feb 25, 2015 9:52 pm

Shrunk's title is misleading. While the comment can raise the question, 'What do you mean by that?', there's nothing that gives Shrunk the license to attribute to him a comment he did not state and also seems to deny. It's just more mumbo-jumbo from Shrunk.

If I were to state that it's not the job of the premier to tell parents what is age-appropriate, I would likely do it from a sort of libertarian viewpoint, or perhaps some sort of conservative position lends that decision to the primary caregivers, the parents. Ideally, I'd prefer any government to butt out of a lot of curricula issues, but the education of our young seems to be something that the government just doesn't trust us with.

If I were to state that it is not the job of the premier, especially Wynne, then I'd likely anchor that thought in the school that she attained her graduate degree, OISE. In the field of Education, OISE is known to be a very, shall we say, leftist school focused on a lot of social justice theory (defined by leftist ideologies, of course), feminism and gender theories. It's known to be political in this respect. These are not ideas that are well suited for many residents of Ontario, something which is problematic for someone who would want to implement these ideas in public schools, schools meant for everyone.

I went to a few meetings in OISE. Nearly everything was about challenging the status quo, capitalism, sexual morality and gender constructions, and something about "queering curriculum" (their words, not mine).
Mackson
Banned Sockpuppet

Name: Mackson

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Mackson » Feb 25, 2015 9:56 pm

Shrunk wrote:Photo of the anti- sex-ed protest:

I wouldn't speak about the Catholic Church so generally.

The Catholics will interpret this new curriculum through Catholic lens. Therefore, you're going to have some different messages, either in tone, emphasis, twists, add-ons, etc.
Mackson
Banned Sockpuppet

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Shrunk » Feb 25, 2015 10:10 pm

Mackson wrote:Shrunk's title is misleading. While the comment can raise the question, 'What do you mean by that?', there's nothing that gives Shrunk the license to attribute to him a comment he did not state and also seems to deny. It's just more mumbo-jumbo from Shrunk.

Just how is it misleading? Is Kathleen Wynne the premier of Ontario? She is. Is she gay? She is. Did Monte McNaughton say that she does not have the right, that it is "not the job of the premier", to implement a sex ed program? He did.

So every single point of my title is factually accurate. Are you perhaps reading more into it than is explicitly stated in the words of the title? It seems you are. But isn't just what you are accusing me of doing?

If I were to state that it's not the job of the premier to tell parents what is age-appropriate, I would likely do it from a sort of libertarian viewpoint, or perhaps some sort of conservative position lends that decision to the primary caregivers, the parents. Ideally, I'd prefer any government to butt out of a lot of curricula issues, but the education of our young seems to be something that the government just doesn't trust us with.

If I were to state that it is not the job of the premier, especially Wynne, then I'd likely anchor that thought in the school that she attained her graduate degree, OISE. In the field of Education, OISE is known to be a very, shall we say, leftist school focused on a lot of social justice theory (defined by leftist ideologies, of course), feminism and gender theories. It's known to be political in this respect. These are not ideas that are well suited for many residents of Ontario, something which is problematic for someone who would want to implement these ideas in public schools, schools meant for everyone.

I went to a few meetings in OISE. Nearly everything was about challenging the status quo, capitalism, sexual morality and gender constructions, and something about "queering curriculum" (their words, not mine).

Ah, so government leaders who have gone to "leftist" schools should not be allowed to implement state policies, even when elected by a convincing majority. I must have missed that principle of democracy in my civics classes.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Mackson » Feb 25, 2015 11:22 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Mackson wrote:Shrunk's title is misleading. While the comment can raise the question, 'What do you mean by that?', there's nothing that gives Shrunk the license to attribute to him a comment he did not state and also seems to deny. It's just more mumbo-jumbo from Shrunk.

Just how is it misleading? Is Kathleen Wynne the premier of Ontario? She is. Is she gay? She is. Did Monte McNaughton say that she does not have the right, that it is "not the job of the premier", to implement a sex ed program? He did.

So every single point of my title is factually accurate. Are you perhaps reading more into it than is explicitly stated in the words of the title? It seems you are. But isn't just what you are accusing me of doing?

Oh, stop. You added the 'gay' onto what he said. There's a difference between someone saying 'a primer has no right to implement a sex ed program' and 'a gay primer has no right to implement a sex ed program'. If you were adding mere incidental facts to his statement, you could have just as well have added 'brown-haired' or 'old', but you didn't. You added the word that makes him appear as if he were saying that because of her homosexuality.

Ah, so government leaders who have gone to "leftist" schools should not be allowed to implement state policies, even when elected by a convincing majority. I must have missed that principle of democracy in my civics classes.

That's actually not what I stated.

If there is a rule against premiers telling parents what is age-appropriate, because, well, it is paternalistic, then it is especially inappropriate for premiers who went to schools leftist schools with deviant ideas and advocacy on sexual morality. The left here in Canada is not known for its non-paternalistic behaviours, Shrunk, and we can even expect more of that from someone who was educated in a leftist university aimed towards that sort of thought, and that the thought is deviant is also worrisome because public schools are supposed to be for everyone.

Now, on the election. The Liberals tabled their first attempt to implement this sex ed curriculum. It was rejected by voters. She didn't run on this issue, and so I am thinking voters thought that the issue was a done deal. When she won a majority (which you and I know was only due to Hudak's ideas concerning the firing of 100,000 workers), she brought the issue back, and Ontario is now faced with it. On your narrative, you might it seem like voters wanted her proposed sex curriculum, but it was rejected. She won the majority because of the scariness of Hudak, not some voter appreciation for her ideas on sex ed. That was not even on the platform.
Mackson
Banned Sockpuppet

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby THWOTH » Feb 26, 2015 12:15 am

...Progressive Conservative...

:scratch:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Acetone » Feb 26, 2015 12:56 am

Here's a link to the revised curriculum in question:

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/curriculum ... th1to8.pdf

I think ready to be used in Sept 2015 (when our school years begin).
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Acetone » Feb 26, 2015 12:59 am

THWOTH wrote:
...Progressive Conservative...

:scratch:

More to the right on economics more to the center in social aspects.
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Shrunk » Feb 26, 2015 1:39 am

Mackson wrote:
Shrunk wrote:

Oh, stop. You added the 'gay' onto what he said.

She's gay, isn't she? So why can I not describe her as the "gay" premier? You'll notice there are no quotation marks in my thread title, so I am not implying a direct quotation of what McNaughton had said. If I had said "Liberal premier" and McNaughton had not mentioned her party affiliation, would that also be bugging you? You really are making a big deal of trivialities.

There's a difference between someone saying 'a primer has no right to implement a sex ed program' and 'a gay primer has no right to implement a sex ed program'. If you were adding mere incidental facts to his statement, you could have just as well have added 'brown-haired' or 'old', but you didn't. You added the word that makes him appear as if he were saying that because of her homosexuality.

Everyone knows exactly what he was saying. Including him.

That's actually not what I stated.

If there is a rule against premiers telling parents what is age-appropriate, because, well, it is paternalistic, then it is especially inappropriate for premiers who went to schools leftist schools with deviant ideas and advocacy on sexual morality. The left here in Canada is not known for its non-paternalistic behaviours, Shrunk, and we can even expect more of that from someone who was educated in a leftist university aimed towards that sort of thought, and that the thought is deviant is also worrisome because public schools are supposed to be for everyone.

Actually, what is "deviant" compared to the values of average Ontarians is the Catholic School systems policy of labelling homosexual behavior "sinful" and "objectively disordered". Hopefully a stop can soon be put to that.

Now, on the election. The Liberals tabled their first attempt to implement this sex ed curriculum. It was rejected by voters.

Really? When? As I recall, it was dropped because McGuinty last his nerve in the face of determined and loud opposition from what was, nonetheless, a minority of religious fanatics. Wynne seems to be made of sterner stuff, and has the advantage of a majority gov't.

She didn't run on this issue, and so I am thinking voters thought that the issue was a done deal. When she won a majority (which you and I know was only due to Hudak's ideas concerning the firing of 100,000 workers), she brought the issue back, and Ontario is now faced with it. On your narrative, you might it seem like voters wanted her proposed sex curriculum, but it was rejected. She won the majority because of the scariness of Hudak, not some voter appreciation for her ideas on sex ed. That was not even on the platform.

See, this how a parliamentary democracy works: The government tables bills and, if it can get the support of a majority of MLA's, the bill becomes a law. Whether the bill was part of the election campaign is not a requirement.

Sex ed was not an election issue, but my impression is that there is broad support for renewal of the sex-ed program. Parents realize it is useless to teach a course that is 15 years out of date, and there is widespread support for addressing issues like consent, and the implications of social media. A large part of the new curriculum was added actually added at the request of a a group of students, so the idea that this is something that is being imposed without any consultation with stakeholders just seems like another right wing lie.

We'll see how things play out, but my expectation is that this will arouse little controversy, other than from the already marginalized religious right. That the Catholic authorities are falling into line rather than squealing like stuck pigs about this, I think, gives an indication of how the political winds are blowing.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs