Ground Invasion Started

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Ground Invasion Started

#161  Postby Pebble » Jul 21, 2014 6:43 pm

willhud9 wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Arjan Dirkse wrote:It's been like that for a long time.

Honestly I can't put all the blame on Israel, Hamas is playing a demonic game with the lives of Palestinian citizens. I can understand Israel's need to stop the rocket attacks, but the problem is that there is no political solution in sight. And a political solution is the only thing that will stop this.

When the people want flee Hamas is saying they must stay. Hamas knows exactly what impact photos like those above have.

When a government wishes to put its people in harms way to make a political point instead of ordering an evacuation of a city methinks the government is not one the people should be supporting.

Is this not the nature of assymetric warfare? Those with relatively primitive weapons rely on the psychological impact of slaughtering civilians on their opponents - much as the US discovered in Iraq.
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#162  Postby willhud9 » Jul 21, 2014 6:48 pm

Pebble wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Honestly I can't put all the blame on Israel, Hamas is playing a demonic game with the lives of Palestinian citizens. I can understand Israel's need to stop the rocket attacks, but the problem is that there is no political solution in sight. And a political solution is the only thing that will stop this.

When the people want flee Hamas is saying they must stay. Hamas knows exactly what impact photos like those above have.

When a government wishes to put its people in harms way to make a political point instead of ordering an evacuation of a city methinks the government is not one the people should be supporting.

Is this not the nature of assymetric warfare? Those with relatively primitive weapons rely on the psychological impact of slaughtering civilians on their opponents - much as the US discovered in Iraq.

Yeah, hiding behind civilians is such a good warfare strategy. When you use civilians as body shields the conventional Geneva codes are tossed out the door. The civilians are not the targets. The rocket cites are and Israel has destroyed more than half of them as of now if their reports are accurate.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#163  Postby tuco » Jul 21, 2014 6:52 pm

The nature of asymmetric warfare is asymmetric. One side is superior and the other inferior. As we learned, all is fair in war. Bombing areas with civilians, kidnapping of alleged and real criminals called terrorists, holding them without trial and torturing them, or even declaring wars over false Casus belli. The list goes on. What is not fair is to blow oneself on a bus. Ask me why ..
tuco

Print view this post

#164  Postby Mike_L » Jul 21, 2014 6:58 pm

A gracious "warning"... of 57 seconds...

Prior to striking a building in the Gaza Strip, the IDF warns its inhabitants using a procedure called "Knock on the roof," in which forces fire a small mortar at the target to indicate the imminent attack and signal those inside to flee before hitting it with full force.

The The video, posted On July 11, 2014 on Palestinian news site Al-Watan.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#165  Postby Pebble » Jul 21, 2014 7:16 pm

Mike_L wrote:A gracious "warning"... of 57 seconds...

Prior to striking a building in the Gaza Strip, the IDF warns its inhabitants using a procedure called "Knock on the roof," in which forces fire a small mortar at the target to indicate the imminent attack and signal those inside to flee before hitting it with full force.

How did the group know to be filming for the 'knock' ?
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#166  Postby Pebble » Jul 21, 2014 7:19 pm

willhud9 wrote:
Pebble wrote:

Yeah, hiding behind civilians is such a good warfare strategy. When you use civilians as body shields the conventional Geneva codes are tossed out the door. The civilians are not the targets. The rocket cites are and Israel has destroyed more than half of them as of now if their reports are accurate.

No the code is breached by the weaker side, the stronger side is still obliged to follow the code, that is the price of labeling 'freedom fighters' terrorists.
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#167  Postby willhud9 » Jul 21, 2014 7:20 pm

Pebble wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
Pebble wrote:

No the code is breached by the weaker side, the stronger side is still obliged to follow the code, that is the price of labeling 'freedom fighters' terrorists.

Yeah, but they are not then expected to cease military operation because terrorists are hiding within a school.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#168  Postby Pebble » Jul 21, 2014 7:28 pm

willhud9 wrote:
Pebble wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
Pebble wrote:

Yeah, but they are not then expected to cease military operation because terrorists are hiding within a school.

Never said they were - but would be well advised to consider the propaganda value of dead children before choosing to do so. As the Brits learned in NI - you can become the best recruiting agent for your opponents if you are careless.
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#169  Postby Jovan » Jul 21, 2014 7:29 pm

"israelis" seem to constantly use the argument that they've been there for a couple of generations now, so the Palestinians should "come to terms" with it, and make peace, and forget that they've had their lands stolen from them, and well, "just get over it".

As hideous and sociopathic as this stance seems, the people there are so sick of living in conflict, under occupation, having been herded into a ghetto, and then 'walled-in', and living under siege conditions, that they're almost prepared to do just that.
That's what !Israel" hopes, I'm sure.

But I wonder if in about 3,000 years from now, there will be a "re-establishment" of Palestine, and 120 odd generations later, the ancestors of those killed, or displaced, will "reclaim" their land, and, in turn bulldoze "Israeli" villages...?

It seems that the gene-pool of that region carries a grudge for a loooong time.
What makes the "jews" suppose that Palestinian "collective memory" is shorter than theirs was..?

There can never be any peace (IMO) until there's a recognition and/or admission, that the basis for the (re)establishment of Israel was a huge mistake.
There's no such thing as "jews", just a (n erroneous) belief in them.
They are not a "race".
"God" didn't "give" them the land, or any lands, anywhere, -because "god" doesn't exist, and never did.

"israel" is a glowing (often literally) example of the harm that irrational beliefs cause.

Hitler was a cunt [/Med. Term], it's ironic that the only people left, who seem to think he was right, (about "races") are the self-proclaimed "jews".
How can there be a "jewish state", when there's no such thing as a "jew", just people who think that there are.
It's a belief in "race" and/or some form of "otherness" that allows wars and conquests to happen. You can only kill people or treat them badly, if you think they're "different" to you, and "yours".
They're not.
Science will win, eventually.
Then all those people will look and feel pre-etty silly.

In the meantime, The Fling Spaghetti Monster just gave me most of Oxfordshire, I hereby annexe it. :crazy:
Jovan

Name: Jovan
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#170  Postby Imagination Theory » Jul 21, 2014 9:31 pm

Israelis, well most of them, don't think God gave them the land, the world did.
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#171  Postby Acetone » Jul 21, 2014 9:41 pm

Imagination Theory wrote:Israelis, well most of them, don't think God gave them the land, the world did.

Exactly what I was thinking. I've never in my life heard an Israeli or pro-Israel person argue they can do this because the land was given to them by god LMAO!
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#172  Postby Acetone » Jul 21, 2014 9:46 pm

Mike_L wrote:A gracious "warning"... of 57 seconds...

Something unrelated to the thread and completely disturbing but at the same time interesting is that when the building explodes there is a person on the opposite buildings roof (it looks like) and you can see him get hit by the immense blast wave of the explosion.

Something people don't realize is that what causes the majority of damage in an explosion is the blast wave. It hits you and everything else before anything else hits you, even the sound of the explosion... (well unless the bomb directly hit you)
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#173  Postby BWE » Jul 22, 2014 12:18 am

Acetone wrote:
Imagination Theory wrote:Israelis, well most of them, don't think God gave them the land, the world did.

Exactly what I was thinking. I've never in my life heard an Israeli or pro-Israel person argue they can do this because the land was given to them by god LMAO!

I can't imagine what difference it makes.
BWE

Print view this post

#174  Postby james1v » Jul 22, 2014 12:34 am

Pebble wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Your saying, that Gaza parents (and Iraqi parents), deliberately killed their children, to get one up on an Israeli (USA in Iraq) missiles, which they had notice of where and when it was going to land? Seriously?

I don't think i would want parents like that, would you?

My mother would have died for me, i would die for my kids. I certainly wouldn't want my kids to die for me, or and inch of land.
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#175  Postby Pebble » Jul 22, 2014 9:01 am

james1v wrote:
Pebble wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Your saying, that Gaza parents (and Iraqi parents), deliberately killed their children, to get one up on an Israeli (USA in Iraq) missiles, which they had notice of where and when it was going to land? Seriously?

I don't think i would want parents like that, would you?

My mother would have died for me, i would die for my kids. I certainly wouldn't want my kids to die for me, or and inch of land.

Not saying that at all. But in assymetric situations the only protection is to hide in the haystack and play the odds. Yes you are risking that innocents around you will get hit, but if you are isolated then you can guarantee that you will be blown to hell. Most armies hesitate before firing indiscriminately in public areas. There are many who believe that death is preferable to continued 'oppression' they do not necessarily canvas the opinion of those around them too carefully. Finally most fighting is done by young guns that do not think through the consequences of their actions too well.
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#176  Postby chairman bill » Jul 22, 2014 9:58 am

tuco wrote:... What is not fair is to blow oneself on a bus. Ask me why ..

Why?

Here's my answer - i) it's indecent behaviour, ii) you'd probably slip a disc or two, and iii) it'll leave a nasty taste in your mouth. Amirite?
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#177  Postby chairman bill » Jul 22, 2014 10:05 am

A people, dispossessed of their land, coralled into ever diminishing areas, subject to embargo & collective punishment (illegal under the Geneva Convention), by a usurper state that is guilty of numerous breaches of human rights & in contravention of numerous UN rulings, have the gall to make relatively pathetic efforts at revenge,and get hammered remorselessly for it.

Let's hope the Israelis don't get too biblical about it. Then again, howitzer shells make a modern alternative to bashing a child's head againt a rock, so maybe we're already there.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#178  Postby Animavore » Jul 22, 2014 11:24 am

Acetone wrote:

Watch the Louie Theroux episode where he was in Israel talking to the settlers and you will hear exactly that.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#179  Postby Peter Brown » Jul 22, 2014 11:37 am

I gather there are two schools of thought on that. One that says they sinned and lost the contract/right, and the zealot one that says if we get it all back we're good again. You can guess which lot is land grabbing and booting off the owners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TTlK5bOQ2c

short way in you hear them comment over the bible made them do it.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#180  Postby Animavore » Jul 22, 2014 2:23 pm

Post by Israeli soldier on his Instagram.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/f ... alestinian
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs