Headteacher mocked on Twitter...

for claiming evolution is not a fact

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Headteacher mocked on Twitter...

#61  Postby jamest » Feb 05, 2016 12:02 pm

Animavore wrote:
jamest wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Utter shit talk.

This is the sort of response one often receives from the uneducated. Let's blame your school.

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

If you want to believe we live in the world of Who Framed Roger Rabbit that's quite up to you. Don't expect anyone to start believing the completely discordant idea that none of this is real.

Don't be a hypocrite. Stop asserting your beliefs when they are devoid of all evidence. And stop making judgements and pronouncements which you are evidently not qualified to make.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#62  Postby Animavore » Feb 05, 2016 12:03 pm

jamest wrote:
Sendraks wrote:
jamest wrote:
This is the sort of response one often receives from the uneducated. Let's blame your school.

Who do we blame for the posturing and grandiose notions included within your comments?

I'd blame the weather, since if it were a pleasant day I'd probably be outside.

Can't you just use your mind to control it?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#63  Postby Animavore » Feb 05, 2016 12:03 pm

jamest wrote:
Animavore wrote:
jamest wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Utter shit talk.

If you want to believe we live in the world of Who Framed Roger Rabbit that's quite up to you. Don't expect anyone to start believing the completely discordant idea that none of this is real.

Don't be a hypocrite. Stop asserting your beliefs when they are devoid of all evidence. And stop making judgements and pronouncements which you are evidently not qualified to make.

Lol. What qualifications do you think I need to tell a person who thinks we are nothing but cartoons that they are full of shite?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Sendraks » Feb 05, 2016 12:04 pm

jamest wrote:
Don't be a hypocrite. Stop asserting your beliefs when they are devoid of all evidence.

Blind counterfactual assertion coupled with loud noises.

jamest wrote: And stop making judgements and pronouncements which you are evidently not qualified to make.

Physician, heal thyself.
Ideally quietly.
Outside.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#65  Postby jamest » Feb 05, 2016 12:11 pm

Animavore wrote:
jamest wrote:
Animavore wrote:
jamest wrote:

Lol. What qualifications do you think I need to tell a person who thinks we are nothing but cartoons that they are full of shite?

One in which you would comprehend that your observation/experience/knowledge of a world is ontologically equivalent to a cartoon, obviously. Or, at the very least, one in which you did not ontologically confuse your observations of a world with a world itself - something which the philosophically educated call naive realism. Then you would stop talking shit, finally.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Fallible » Feb 05, 2016 12:14 pm

I...sorry, what were the qualifications again?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Animavore » Feb 05, 2016 12:17 pm

jamest wrote:
Animavore wrote:
jamest wrote:
Animavore wrote:

One in which you would comprehend that your observation/experience/knowledge of a world is ontologically equivalent to a cartoon, obviously. Or, at the very least, one in which you did not ontologically confuse your observations of a world with a world itself - something which the philosophically educated call naive realism. Then you would stop talking shit, finally.

Except I don't confuse my observations of the world with the world itself, the only difference is I don't use this to then dismiss that there is a world at all. Firstly the fact that there is an observation, even if it is an interpretation of data, suggests that there is something being interpreted. Secondly, the fact that others can share my observation suggests something between this observer and the other which is being observed. Lastly, there's a thing in science called "concordance" which makes the idea that nothing is real extremely unlikely.

Your 'philosophy' doesn't gel with any of that.
Last edited by Animavore on Feb 05, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#68  Postby jamest » Feb 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Sendraks wrote:
jamest wrote:
Don't be a hypocrite. Stop asserting your beliefs when they are devoid of all evidence.

Blind counterfactual assertion coupled with loud noises.

jamest wrote: And stop making judgements and pronouncements which you are evidently not qualified to make.

Physician, heal thyself.
Ideally quietly.
Outside.

Meh.

Say something interesting, or at least try to be funny.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#69  Postby Sendraks » Feb 05, 2016 12:20 pm

jamest wrote:Say something interesting, or at least try to be funny.

Physician, heal thyself.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#70  Postby Weaver » Feb 05, 2016 12:40 pm

For fuck's sake, can't we keep the philosophowibble bullshit confined to the philosophowibble forum, where practitioners can masturbate to their hearts' content that "there is no reality" and "The real world is simply a figment of my imagination - preferably with huge fucking tits." and so forth?

Take the bullshit elsewhere - actual people are talking about the actual world, not some philosophowibble construct.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#71  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Feb 05, 2016 12:46 pm

Weaver wrote:For fuck's sake, can't we keep the philosophowibble bullshit confined to the philosophowibble forum, where practitioners can masturbate to their hearts' content that "there is no reality" and "The real world is simply a figment of my imagination - preferably with huge fucking tits." and so forth?

Take the bullshit elsewhere - actual people are talking about the actual world, not some philosophowibble construct.

:this:
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Animavore » Feb 05, 2016 12:48 pm

Yeah, James.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#73  Postby nunnington » Feb 05, 2016 12:53 pm

I didn't think that science is taught in schools with a leavening of 'naive realism'. Is it? It would certainly be difficult to combine the teaching of science, with a course in philosophy, which might introduce the topic of philosophical idealism. I think the latter is interesting, and people like Berkeley are worth studying, but it's a tough call for school-kids, even in the sixth form.

I think Mr Samsa used to say that realism was irrelevant to science, since scientific disciplines are practical subjects. In the old adage, science works. I suppose this idea of practicality became known as instrumentalism, but again, quite a difficult topic to teach to kids, and really, to be comprehensive, one would also have to discuss social construction theories, historicism (Kuhn), and so on. It sounds more like degree level stuff to me, in the philosophy of science.
je suis Marxiste, tendance Groucho.
nunnington

Print view this post

#74  Postby jamest » Feb 05, 2016 1:05 pm

Animavore wrote:
jamest wrote:[

Except I don't confuse my observations of the world with the world itself,

That is evidently the case, repetitively so.

the only difference is I don't use this to then dismiss that there is a world at all.

Neither do I... I have other reasons for that.

Firstly the fact that there is an observation, even if it is an interpretation of data, suggests that there is something being interpreted.

That is correct. But what is being interpreted is the phenomena occuring within the representational system itself. This is true even for materialists, who think that any knowledge of the world is derived from patterns within the brain - brain states. Even those are not direct responses to the world itself, but [instead] the arbitrary* electrical stimuli transmitted to the brain from the various organs.

* Arbitrary in the sense that all representative signals can take any ordered form within a code and each signal has no inherent meaning by itself. For instance, the transmission of a specific electrical signal from the eyes does not automatically equate with 'light', least of all light with a specific frequency.

Secondly, the fact that others can share my observation suggests something between this observer and the other which is being observed.

It suggests nothing other than a common experience, which suggests nothing other than a common type of experienceR, if not the same experienceR. It certainly does not suggest that the thing being experienced is [therefore] real.

Lastly, there's a thing in science called "concordance" which makes the idea that nothing is real extremely unlikely.

I haven't said anything which implies that nothing is real. Clearly, some 'thing' is real or this conversation wouldn't be happening.

Secondly, as I've just explained, 'concordance' amounts to nothing other than common experience, and that suggests nothing other than (see above).
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#75  Postby nunnington » Feb 05, 2016 1:11 pm

I just remembered a postgraduate class in this stuff, and the idea that scientists make observations about appearances. Using that approach sidesteps the issue of realism, or anti-realism, I suppose, since appearances are, well, what they appear to be. But then using a sidestep if a very useful thing to do sometimes. If we are living in a world of appearances, well, science still works, and the Guinness is a bit weaker, apparently.
je suis Marxiste, tendance Groucho.
nunnington

Print view this post

#76  Postby Animavore » Feb 05, 2016 1:13 pm

jamest wrote:
That is evidently the case, repetitively so.

Evidently not. I correlate my observations of the world with the real world. That's not the same as mistaking one for the other.

jamest wrote:But what is being interpreted is the phenomena occuring within the representational system itself.

Word salad.

jamest wrote:It suggests nothing other than a common experience, which suggests nothing other than a common type of experienceR, if not the same experienceR. It certainly does not suggest that the thing being experienced is [therefore] real.

It suggests exactly that. If two people are experiencing the same thing then there is another something between the two which they are both experiencing.

jamest wrote:I haven't said anything which implies that nothing is real. Clearly, some 'thing' is real or this conversation wouldn't be happening.

You're contradicting yourself.

jamest wrote:Secondly, as I've just explained, 'concordance' amounts to nothing other than common experience, and that suggests nothing other than (see above).

Prove it.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#77  Postby jamest » Feb 05, 2016 1:25 pm

Weaver wrote:For fuck's sake, can't we keep the philosophowibble bullshit confined to the philosophowibble forum, where practitioners can masturbate to their hearts' content that "there is no reality" and "The real world is simply a figment of my imagination - preferably with huge fucking tits." and so forth?

I experience the same world as you. So if there's any bollocks spoken here, as there is, then I'll remain to cut them off.

The fact is that you're all using science to undermine and belittle what are seemingly Xian beliefs. This isn't just wrong, it's primitively wrong. The consequence of entertaining a false dichotomy and of having little if any ontological education.

The issues here are entirely philosophical. If you want to pretend that your tribalism entitles you and your ilk from intellectual challenge, then think again. If you and your ilk are essentially talking philosophy - and you all are, even without knowing it - then be prepared for a storm.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#78  Postby jamest » Feb 05, 2016 1:28 pm

nunnington wrote:I didn't think that science is taught in schools with a leavening of 'naive realism'. Is it? It would certainly be difficult to combine the teaching of science, with a course in philosophy, which might introduce the topic of philosophical idealism.

Nobody has suggested that kids should be taught idealism, but at the very least they should understand why science is divorced from materialism.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#79  Postby Teague » Feb 05, 2016 1:34 pm

jamest wrote:
Briton wrote:
jamest wrote:
Fallible wrote:As for the headteacher, sadly the British education system is full of ostensibly educated individuals who can't keep their beliefs out of the classroom.

Do you think the dictum "Life arose entirely via matter and physical processes" is not a belief?

As others have stated, no, it's not a belief; in any case, how 'life arose' is a different issue from (the) evolution (of species), for which there is an overwhelming amount of evidence from varying scientific disciplines.

Abiogenesis and evolution are coupled at the onset of life, and both are physical theories seeking to explain the origin and development of life without recourse to any other ontological explanation.

The reason why it's a belief is that there is ZERO evidence within observation/experience to claim that there is a physical reality with actual agency. Not many people seem to understand that our observations/experiences/knowledge are mere representations of things; and that representations-of-things are utterly devoid of any agency. Like Tom & Jerry, they merely have the illusory appearance of being agents. In actual fact, there is nothing but correlative order between represented entities - and the agency underpinning the whole shebang is actually the thing(s) fundamentally responsible for generating the representational system as a whole. Given that the identity/ontology of the reality underpinning experience/observation/knowledge is not a given, then the 'substance'/agency behind it all is (or should be) an open-ended issue... as opposed to a mere mud-slinging contest between Xians and materialists who think that science supports their biased yet unfounded metaphysics.

This false dichotomy, this primitive metaphysics, should not be perpetuated. The only way to achieve this is to teach philosophy to our kids. But philosophy is a danger to any status quo, including the founding principles underpinning any political entity and/or culture, not least the establishments thereof. This is why it will probably never happen. Whole nations filled with a populace able to question such values - heaven forbid!

We don't need observational evidence and philosophy isn't going to give you any answers but it will allow for a load of nonsense dialogue.

The fact of the matter is that we can trace our ancestry way way back to a point that we're plankton so it's not a hard leap to say that something must have happened to form the first cells that could replicate.

What is a BIG leap is to say something came along and decided to make this soup so all these species could come from it. All your position does is open the conversation up to absolute nonsense and we could argue anything. Why should we when we can see how everything evolved and how it goes all the way back. Just because we can't say how the first cells were made doesn't mean the answer is anything fantastical,
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#80  Postby Sendraks » Feb 05, 2016 1:36 pm

jamest wrote: The issues here are entirely philosophical. If you want to pretend that your tribalism entitles you and your ilk from intellectual challenge, then think again. If you and your ilk are essentially talking philosophy - and you all are, even without knowing it - then be prepared for a storm.

Please, please spare us the delusions of grandeur.

Yes, you've carved out a little space for yourself in which you feel special and an "authority." We get that.

But, stop trying to tell us that your arguments are intellectual and that they do present some sort of challenge. We can determine that for ourselves. You telling us that, doesn't make it so. It just makes your comments look rather sad and needy. That if you tell us enough times your arguments present an 'intellectual challenge' we'll start to believe it, which really doesn't say much for the confidence you have in your own arguments.

You are not saying anything new, compared to the same bullshit that's been trotted out for thousands of years.
But, if you're going to throw rocks at us from the ramparts of your invisible imaginary fortress of philosophy, leave it to us to decide if the rocks hurt or not.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs