How will coved-19 change the world when it disappears?

Will history say that we overreacted to cover-19?

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: How will coved-19 change the world when it disappears?

#41  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Mar 23, 2020 4:58 pm

ronmcd wrote:
newolder wrote:In summary: economies recover, dead people don't.

/thread

the other end of the thread: the virus won’t disappear.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#42  Postby tuco » Mar 23, 2020 8:08 pm

What seems to be certain is that countries will consider including testing kits, face masks, gloves and other tools used during this crisis as resources important for national security, just like energy resources for example, and will act accordingly.
tuco

Print view this post

#43  Postby OlivierK » Mar 23, 2020 9:05 pm

You can't, of course, stockpile testing kits for novel viruses. A year ago, there were no COVID-19 testing kits to be had, for obvious reasons.

You can, of course, stockpile masks and gloves, and make sure that you have lab capacity, and testing kit production capacity, and procedures and command structures in place to allow rapid response (much as used to exist in the US before Trump trashed them for being non-profitable, and a bit too Obama-y for his liking).
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#44  Postby NineBerry » Mar 23, 2020 9:11 pm

You can actually stockpile testing kits. There was just a virologist on TV who said the things that they run out off for testing are standard parts like sterile plastic parts that would have to be used in any test without knowing the virus beforehand
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#45  Postby tuco » Mar 23, 2020 9:12 pm

You can stockpile the mechanical parts of the kits, I would think, but from what I hear most of this stuff currently comes from China, and I am being told they are being nice. Maybe it would be worth consideration having own capacities.
tuco

Print view this post

#46  Postby Alan C » Mar 24, 2020 12:38 am

Well at least we make our own bog rolls here.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#47  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Mar 24, 2020 1:04 am

What happens if corvid19 stays with us like the “common cold”, and there is never a vaccine?

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#48  Postby laklak » Mar 24, 2020 1:07 am

Mad Max, dude, Mad fucking Max.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#49  Postby NineBerry » Mar 24, 2020 1:12 am

theropod_V_2.0 wrote:What happens if corvid19 stays with us like the “common cold”, and there is never a vaccine?

RS

Why shouldn't there be a vaccine?

Technically, there could be vaccines against the common cold. We don't have any because the common cold is a lot of different viruses that change frequently and don't cause a lot of damage, so it's not worth spending the required effort on vaccination.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#50  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Mar 24, 2020 1:16 am

Just askin’. I’m of the camp that until something happens it’s not best to start counting chickens.

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#51  Postby jamest » Mar 24, 2020 3:10 am

A nutshell response to some of the comments:

I've said it several times in recent threads, that the economic crisis already happening now as a consequence of covid-19 will destroy far more lives than the virus itself. So, let's get one thing straight, which is that I'm accusing the majority of you of being short-sighted when it comes to dealing with the actual crisis here. Sure, this virus is a major fuckin' disaster and imo probably millions will be killed, but what you don't seem to understand, none of you, are the consequences of this economic disaster that is about to explode upon everyone in the world within the next year+.

For the record, I think that this ensuing economic collapse will lead to an even bigger loss in human life than all of the wars of the world combined, even if WW3 doesn't happen. THAT"S precisely why I care about the economic crisis more than the virus. So no, I'm not this shitty person who wants to protect wealth more than life. Rather, I'd prefer to implement solutions which have the least ramifications for human life in the medium term, not the short term.

I mean who here thinks that saving a couple of million people in the short-term is more worthy than saving billions in the medium term? You've got to be either sick in the head, stupid, or just utterly selfish to go with the former option.

I have a family too. I'm at risk too. Do you think that I want them to die, or me? Of course not. But guess which crisis I fear the most? That's right, the financial crisis. Why? Because our chances of surviving collectively will decrease from more than 95% in the case of the virus, to about 40 - 60% once the global economy crashes entirely, which is now inevitable due to current attitudes and policies.

This shit that I don't care about people dieing is a big fucking lie and you should be ashamed of yourselves for spreading it when the only person here looking out for the vast majority of you is, seemingly, myself.

For those of you who are currently sick or elderly, I understand your fears, but you have no right to demand that upwards of 60% of of the global population should surrender our lives in the medium term in order to save an extra [say] million people in the short-term. That's just not right, in any shape or form.

In the West, people who are elderly or sick/disabled generally have welfare/care and government protection already and can do a lot to protect themselves in the form of self-isolation. Imo, money should be thrown at those of them that need it, but closing down the whole global economy for several months and potentially years, to protect this minority of people, is a suicide note for the human species as a whole.

The ensuing economic crisis is not going to kill just [say] 10% of the sick/disabled and elderly, it's going to kill most people currently living on this planet within the next few years. Do the fuckin' math and don't dare say that I care about money more than life, ever again. Lieing bastards. :nono:
Last edited by jamest on Mar 24, 2020 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#52  Postby aufbahrung » Mar 24, 2020 4:16 am

Global economy was always a myth. Libor rates, critical to currency exchange and global trade, being open to corruption and read even the price of a mars bar could reset them. Whilst global economy is a myth, regional or bloc power can be real but fragile. This virus and its aftermath might destroy blocs, but the global economy was never there and so nothing to worry about.
“Ne vous mêlez pas du pain”
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#53  Postby jamest » Mar 24, 2020 4:45 am

aufbahrung wrote:Global economy was always a myth. Libor rates, critical to currency exchange and global trade, being open to corruption and read even the price of a mars bar could reset them. Whilst global economy is a myth, regional or bloc power can be real but fragile. This virus and its aftermath might destroy blocs, but the global economy was never there and so nothing to worry about.

There's no global economy? Wtf.

Tell me, do you have a fever at the moment, or are you persistently coughing?

I think it's high time that I get my favoured badger out of the freezer. :nono:
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#54  Postby aufbahrung » Mar 24, 2020 5:11 am

jamest wrote:
aufbahrung wrote:Global economy was always a myth. Libor rates, critical to currency exchange and global trade, being open to corruption and read even the price of a mars bar could reset them. Whilst global economy is a myth, regional or bloc power can be real but fragile. This virus and its aftermath might destroy blocs, but the global economy was never there and so nothing to worry about.

It's like the stock market, technical types know it is pure random, the people who win always claim to have a system that got them to the top, people who lose to the bottom...so there is the illusion, a hard illusion, that the global economy exists.
“Ne vous mêlez pas du pain”
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#55  Postby jamest » Mar 24, 2020 5:26 am

aufbahrung wrote:
jamest wrote:

It's like the stock market, technical types know it is pure random, the people who win always claim to have a system that got them to the top, people who lose to the bottom...so there is the illusion, a hard illusion, that the global economy exists.

If you want to talk about illusions, then I'm your man, but I'm pretty sure that you're no idealist. Therefore, give it up.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#56  Postby OlivierK » Mar 24, 2020 5:53 am

aufbahrung wrote:It's like the stock market, technical types know it is pure random...

Well, there is some fundamental basis to share valuation over the long term, and the short term noise that is laid over the top of that (and which accounts for most volume of trade) is not really random, but more like poker: the skill is in reading the other players at the table - which makes it bit more of an art than a science.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#57  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 24, 2020 8:57 am

jamest wrote:
If you want to talk about illusions, then I'm your man,...

Looks like some bubble of self-awareness squeezed past jamest's Berlin wall of cognitively biased conceit.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#58  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 24, 2020 9:00 am

aufbahrung wrote:
It's like the stock market, technical types know it is pure random, ...

Actually, technical types know in which circumstances it's random. All of this is part of how you calculate your exposure to risk.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#59  Postby Fallible » Mar 24, 2020 12:51 pm

jamest wrote:A nutshell response to some of the comments:

I've said it several times in recent threads, that the economic crisis already happening now as a consequence of covid-19 will destroy far more lives than the virus itself.

No one cares. About what you predict, that is.

So, let's get one thing straight, which is that I'm accusing the majority of you of being short-sighted when it comes to dealing with the actual crisis here.

No one cares what you are accusing people of, you have a track record of making the most absurd claims about pretty much anything, to the point where I am positively delighted if you accuse me of something, because it’s pretty nailed on that this means I am doing precisely the opposite.

Sure, this virus is a major fuckin' disaster and imo probably millions will be killed, but what you don't seem to understand, none of you, are the consequences of this economic disaster that is about to explode upon everyone in the world within the next year+.

You have no better idea than the rest of us. “The difference between us and you” is that you’re the only one who seems to think he has extra special knowledge that the rest of us don’t. Well, you don’t. So calm yourself down and take a seat.

For the record, I think that this ensuing economic collapse will lead to an even bigger loss in human life than all of the wars of the world combined, even if WW3 doesn't happen.

For the record, no one cares what you think based solely on the fact that you think it. Understand that you are far more enamoured of yourself and what you think than anyone here.

THAT"S precisely why I care about the economic crisis more than the virus. So no, I'm not this shitty person who wants to protect wealth more than life. Rather, I'd prefer to implement solutions which have the least ramifications for human life in the medium term, not the short term.

You’re not going to be implementing anything except what you think will suit you or your family best.

I mean who here thinks that saving a couple of million people in the short-term is more worthy than saving billions in the medium term? You've got to be either sick in the head, stupid, or just utterly selfish to go with the former option.

Since no one is, you can shove that back up from whence it emerged.

I have a family too. I'm at risk too.

You’re at an average level of risk.

Do you think that I want them to die, or me? Of course not. But guess which crisis I fear the most? That's right, the financial crisis. Why? Because our chances of surviving collectively will decrease from more than 95% in the case of the virus, to about 40 - 60% once the global economy crashes entirely, which is now inevitable due to current attitudes and policies.

No one cares for your shitty predictions.

This shit that I don't care about people dieing is a big fucking lie and you should be ashamed of yourselves for spreading it when the only person here looking out for the vast majority of you is, seemingly, myself.

Again, you can shove this, since no one said that. What has been said is that if it were your family in the high risk group your tune would change.

For those of you who are currently sick or elderly, I understand your fears, but you have no right to demand that upwards of 60% of of the global population should surrender our lives in the medium term in order to save an extra [say] million people in the short-term. That's just not right, in any shape or form.

Speaking of ‘lieing’ [sic], this is a big whopping one. Literally no one here has done anything of the kind. This is the kind of unpleasant nonsense that has earned you the ridicule and lack of respect which you currently enjoy here. I suggest you stop misrepresenting people straight away.

In the West, people who are elderly or sick/disabled generally have welfare/care and government protection already and can do a lot to protect themselves in the form of self-isolation. Imo, money should be thrown at those of them that need it, but closing down the whole global economy for several months and potentially years, to protect this minority of people, is a suicide note for the human species as a whole.

No one cares about what you feel like you need to shout about to make yourself appear in some way an expert.

The ensuing economic crisis is not going to kill just [say] 10% of the sick/disabled and elderly, it's going to kill most people currently living on this planet within the next few years. Do the fuckin' math and don't dare say that I care about money more than life, ever again. Lieing bastards. :nono:

Sit down and shut your tedious yap.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#60  Postby mrjonno » Mar 24, 2020 1:23 pm

Millions will die, billions won't die

We will be nicer to each other for 3 months after it's over it's back to everyone hating each other, you can't change human nature
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs