How will the Tories attack Tom and Jerry ?

Is passionate protest enough ?

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: How will the Tories attack Tom and Jerry ?

#421  Postby mcgruff » Nov 26, 2015 2:59 pm

He didn't do a U turn did he?
mcgruff

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#422  Postby ED209 » Nov 26, 2015 3:14 pm

Well, the cuts are kicked down the road to compound the already disastrous roll out of universal credit. Which is a victory for now.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#423  Postby CarlPierce » Nov 26, 2015 4:20 pm

Policywise it WAS a victory ED.

AND Labour had an open goal - but somehow turned it into an own goal up the other end.

As a result the Tories came out of this seeming like they listened (instead of seeming incompetent with cruel cuts and under pressure U turns).
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#424  Postby GrahamH » Nov 26, 2015 4:28 pm

CarlPierce wrote:Policywise it WAS a victory ED.

AND Labour had an open goal - but somehow turned it into an own goal up the other end.

As a result the Tories came out of this seeming like they listened (instead of seeming incompetent with cruel cuts and under pressure U turns).

I don't think there is any room for doubt that Osbourne backed down. "U-turn" is all over the media today.
The coverage of the defeat in the House of Lords was high profile. I doubt that anyone who missed that would be enlightened by the shadow Chancellor's reply.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#425  Postby mcgruff » Nov 26, 2015 5:00 pm

Osborne hasn't backed down. Some of the tax credit cuts will still be made and in the long-term they'll lose out with universal credit.
mcgruff

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#426  Postby ED209 » Nov 26, 2015 5:08 pm

Sure, and no doubt those opposed to the tories will campaign just as hard against the introduction of universal credit when that nears.

Gideon will have missed more targets and this autumn statement will have long unravelled before that, too.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#427  Postby GrahamH » Nov 26, 2015 5:37 pm

mcgruff wrote:Osborne hasn't backed down. Some of the tax credit cuts will still be made and in the long-term they'll lose out with universal credit.

Yes, but he has backed down on the way it will be phased in. He lost in the HoL.
He scrapped that part of his plans.
Last edited by GrahamH on Nov 26, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#428  Postby mrjonno » Nov 26, 2015 6:32 pm

mcgruff wrote:Osborne hasn't backed down. Some of the tax credit cuts will still be made and in the long-term they'll lose out with universal credit.

Which is what he was elected to do, he was elected to make the unemployed and non-Tory voters suffer. The more they suffer the more his supporters will cheer
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#429  Postby GrahamH » Nov 26, 2015 6:40 pm

mrjonno wrote:

Which is what he was elected to do, he was elected to make the unemployed and non-Tory voters suffer. The more they suffer the more his supporters will cheer

His problem then was in making the employed and Tory voters also suffer.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#430  Postby mrjonno » Nov 26, 2015 6:42 pm

GrahamH wrote:
mrjonno wrote:

That's where he may have a problem, but Tory voters (ie the biggest group in the country) elected a governemnt whose main policy was screwing those at the bottom. These voters will judge the government on how much they can make these groups suffer.
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#431  Postby GrahamH » Nov 26, 2015 6:54 pm

mrjonno wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
mrjonno wrote:

That's where he may have a problem, but Tory voters (ie the biggest group in the country) elected a governemnt whose main policy was screwing those at the bottom. These voters will judge the government on how much they can make these groups suffer.

Not all Tory voters are total bastards, and there aren't enough of them to do what they like (only ~37% of the electorate). Last time round quite a lot of those votes were Lib Dems by inclination.

A party openly advocating making "those at the bottom suffer" aren't going to be elected.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#432  Postby mrjonno » Nov 26, 2015 7:00 pm

Not all Tory voters are total bastards, and there aren't enough of them to do what they like (only ~37% of the electorate). Last time round quite a lot of those votes were Lib Dems by inclination.

A party openly advocating making "those at the bottom suffer" aren't going to be elected.

No not all are bastards but none put looking after the poor as a high priority and most are highly indifferent at best, in the same way no one votes Labour because they want to see a massive increase in defense spending (and yes Labour have done this in the past but its not the reason people vote for them).

The Tories didnt have to say openly screw the poor, merely we are going to cut benefits which is the same thing but a lot nicer way of saying exactly the same thing and allowing people to lie to themselves.

To put it bluntly a few single mothers committing suicide due to benefit cuts is not going to cost the Tories any votes
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#433  Postby Ironclad » Nov 26, 2015 7:48 pm

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Emmaline -
The post you made, spoilered below, is a Personal Attack on another member.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Emmeline wrote:

Do you know what? You can fuck right off. With fucking bells on. I've been spending my energy opposing Tories all my life. Who the fuck are you to say that I should be doing more & how I should be doing it? I'll do what it takes (and I AM doing what it takes outside in the real world) to get Labour elected & I'm not taking any lessons or lectures from an arrogant twat on a forum.

Personal Attacks & Insults are not allowed, as is spelled out in our Forum User's Agreement, paragraph 1.2.c. Please keep this in mind when you make your posts, and help make our forum a better place.

Please do not discuss this modnote or moderation in this thread as it is considered off-topic. If you need clarification or want to appeal this decision, please PM me or a senior moderator.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#434  Postby Beatsong » Nov 28, 2015 11:19 pm

GrahamH wrote:A party openly advocating making "those at the bottom suffer" aren't going to be elected.

Er... they just were. :scratch:
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#435  Postby GrahamH » Nov 29, 2015 11:53 am

Beatsong wrote:
GrahamH wrote:A party openly advocating making "those at the bottom suffer" aren't going to be elected.

Er... they just were. :scratch:

Sort of, but the pitch was more "we have to live within our means and we will make work pay".
They convinced people that would be affected by cuts that they were safe and got those votes.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#436  Postby mrjonno » Nov 29, 2015 11:59 am

Politicians are a lot more pleasant than me in their presentation of their policies which simply makes it easier for voters to kid themelves, the Tories stand for screwing the poor and anyone who voted for it either agrees with it or simply doesnt care
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#437  Postby Beatsong » Nov 29, 2015 8:01 pm

Word.
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs