'In-flight anomaly' on Virgin SpaceShipTwo

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 'In-flight anomaly' on Virgin SpaceShipTwo

#61  Postby Weaver » Nov 03, 2014 8:38 am

New reporting suggests the spacecraft may have shifted early into it's high-drag re-entry configuration.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/04/busin ... v=top-news

he Virgin Galactic space plane that broke apart over the Mojave Desert on Friday shifted early into a high-drag configuration that was designed to slow it down, federal accident investigators have said.

The accident killed the co-pilot, Michael Alsbury; the pilot, Peter Siebold survived after parachuting out of the plane.

The craft, called SpaceShipTwo, was designed to rocket up, and when it reached the top of its ascent, two tail booms would rotate upward into a "feathered" position. That would create more drag and stability, allowing the plane to descend gently back into the atmosphere, much like a badminton shuttlecock.

At the news conference Sunday night at the Mojave Air and Space Port in California, Christopher A. Hart, the acting chairman of the National Transportation Safety Board, said the plane was not supposed to move into the feathered configuration unless the pilots took two actions: First, a lever would be switched to unlock the tail booms, then a handle would be moved to feather the booms.

“About nine seconds after the engine ignited, the telemetry data told us the feather parameters changed from locked to unlocked,” Mr. Hart said.

In addition, a video camera in the cockpit showed Mr. Alsbury switching the lever to the unlocked position, Mr. Hart said. That occurred at a velocity of about Mach 1, which is the speed of sound at a given altitude. Under normal operations, that lever would not be moved until later in the flight, when the space plane had reached a speed of Mach 1.4, Mr. Hart said. The plane’s altitude would also be higher, where the air is thinner.

Beginning to sound like a major pilot error.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#62  Postby mrjonno » Nov 03, 2014 10:37 am

Still worrying, a major pilot error in an aircraft while flying high up doesnt normally cause it to come apart. On landing or take off it can cause a crash but presumably pilots make loads of mistakes all the time but as they are at altitude they have plenty of time to correct them.

Civilian spacecraft have to be able to deal with most pilot errors or its simply not safe to go in them
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#63  Postby Weaver » Nov 03, 2014 5:05 pm

Pilot error in high-performance aircraft will often exceed the structural limits of the aircraft.

This isn't a minor pilot error, if it occurred as suspected based on the evidence so far. This is massive, major - a complete deviation from flight protocols. It's not like he just went a little fast or turned a little hard - he pushed the aircraft into a high-drag configuration while under full rocket acceleration.

I simply cannot think of an example in other spacecraft of this scope - it would be like opening the shuttle bay doors while the SRBs were firing, or like flipping the shuttle backwards to an engines-first attitude during re-entry.
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#64  Postby mrjonno » Nov 03, 2014 5:13 pm

I simply cannot think of an example in other spacecraft of this scope - it would be like opening the shuttle bay doors while the SRBs were firing, or like flipping the shuttle backwards to an engines-first attitude during re-entry.

While it may be acceptable in a military aircraft for the pilot to be able to go close or even exceed the safety limits its not in a civilian space/aircraft

If there is a big red button on your aircraft which says 'do not press this below 10 000 feet or you will die' and the pilot presses it below 10 000 feet and kills everyone on board its more a fault in the system that it is in the pilot if this occurs'. No civilian aircraft should be a single button press way from killing everyone on board.
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#65  Postby Weaver » Nov 03, 2014 5:45 pm

There are times you just have to trust that a trained pilot will not take an aircraft beyond its limits.

Hell, I bet if someone really wanted to, they could rip the wings off of a 747 in a power dive from 40,000 feet.

This wasn't just "press a button" failure - this is moving a lever past a locked detent, a much more deliberate error.

If you want a spacecraft which absolutely cannot be flown to destruction, you are asking for the impossible.
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#66  Postby VK-machine » Nov 03, 2014 8:05 pm

Weaver wrote:Beginning to sound like a major pilot error.

I'd be careful with that conclusion. What we know now is that there was a technical malfunction of some kind. The plane feathered when it shouldn't have.
The fact that the dead co-pilot unlocked the system earlier than he should have may or may not have been an error. It may be that the normal procedure in practice differed from the written procedure or maybe he had some reason. That remains to be seen.
It seems like quite the coincidence that a highly trained, well prepared test pilot would drop the ball like that just when it would have catastrophic consequences. Of course, such coincidences are often the cause of disasters.

I also agree with mrjonno. You really shouldn't be able to self-destruct a passenger plane by flipping 2 levers. Sure, a pilot can literally break apart a plane in the air but that usually requires a minimum degree of persistence. American 587 is an example. Pilot jams the rudder repeatedly left and right until the tail fin of the A300 snaps off: No survivors. He had been trained to do so.
VK-machine

Print view this post

#67  Postby VK-machine » Nov 03, 2014 8:37 pm

Warren Dew wrote:Hmm. I'm not sure why that logic wouldn't also apply to the CEO of a private company. Spaceship two is years behind schedule and I don't know how many times over budget but that's a different cause. If VG was about profit, they'd give up now.

Maybe, maybe not. Virgin Galactic is tiny compared to the whole of the Virgin empire. The expenditure on Virgin Galactic is probably justifiable based just on the advertising value - provided they can continue to make progress.[/quote]
You could say the same about government subsidies ;)

But the key thing about private enterprise is that there's competition. Xcor is pretty much a direct competitor to Virgin Galactic. Maybe if Virgin can't do it, Xcor can, or vice versa.

That's true but you also have competition on the market for real space transport. More competition, in fact.

SpaceX is bringing prices down further. You'd like that company.

I do like SpaceX. However, they are focused on cargo, not people. I'd like to see progress on moving people into space as well.

SpaceX is currently designing a manned capsule. Since it's a modification of their existing cargo capsule there should not be too many unforeseen problems.
They also have some pipe dreams about Mars colonization.

Even with lower prices I have doubts if there's a market for a space hotel. Are there really enough people willing to pay a few millions just to spend a few days in a tiny, flimsy tin can?

The technology should be able to drive the costs down to a small multiple of energy costs. Ultimately that ought to bring the price down to $10k per person or less. Given how many people spring for that kind of money for fancy cruises, yes, I think there's a significant market.

That kind of price is sci-fi, for now.
If there was a space station remotely as comfortable as a cruise liner, I'd see it as well but that station needs to be lifted as well, so...

The problem with reaching orbit at present is that too much of the weight we push up is just structural weight for holding the fuel and such. SpaceShipTwo tremendously reduces that structural weight. That's technology that can be applied to orbital missions.

No. Spaceplanes are much heavier than what everyone else is using atm. That's because they need to lug around wings and heat shields and all that stuff.
SS2 can get by without a heat shield because it doesn't go into orbit so it doesn't have nearly as much kinetic energy it needs to get rid off. That's obviously not a solution helpful to anyone.
VK-machine

Print view this post

#68  Postby Weaver » Nov 04, 2014 3:51 am

VK-machine wrote:
Weaver wrote:Beginning to sound like a major pilot error.

I'd be careful with that conclusion. What we know now is that there was a technical malfunction of some kind. The plane feathered when it shouldn't have.
The fact that the dead co-pilot unlocked the system earlier than he should have may or may not have been an error. It may be that the normal procedure in practice differed from the written procedure or maybe he had some reason. That remains to be seen.
It seems like quite the coincidence that a highly trained, well prepared test pilot would drop the ball like that just when it would have catastrophic consequences. Of course, such coincidences are often the cause of disasters.

I also agree with mrjonno. You really shouldn't be able to self-destruct a passenger plane by flipping 2 levers. Sure, a pilot can literally break apart a plane in the air but that usually requires a minimum degree of persistence. American 587 is an example. Pilot jams the rudder repeatedly left and right until the tail fin of the A300 snaps off: No survivors. He had been trained to do so.

There are very few aircraft which are deliberately designed, because of program constraints, to go from such a low-drag to high-drag configuration during flight operations. That this one is isn't an indication of a design flaw per se - but it may be an indication of a control system flaw. I wonder what would happen if you flipped the rotors suddenly in a V-22 Osprey while moving forward at high speed ...

Or, as it's been pointed out in the news media, it may be that the pilot was supposed to test this particular "feature" (not flaw) of the aircraft (unlocking the high-drag mode locks) and either committed a sequence violation or there was an assumption made that the aircraft wouldn't shift positions under thrust.

Still early to tell - certainly too early to say for sure that pilot error was at fault - but it is certainly another indication of the dangers of rocket science.

Oh, and to people saying no science is being performed - really? High-speed flight, high-speed return, aircraft shifting configurations significantly, all more cheaply than conventional rockets can achieve - there is good scientific exploration happening here, and even outside the space tourism industry there could be real value for scientific observations - or for high-speed sub-orbital commercial flights. Can you say London to Tokyo in a couple hours? Could become achievable ...
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#69  Postby Macdoc » Nov 04, 2014 7:23 am

Can you say London to Tokyo in a couple hours? Could become achievable ...

That certainly is an unstated goal.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#70  Postby wtargentina » Nov 04, 2014 8:29 am

Richard Branson was interviewed by Jon Snow on Channel 4 news last night (UK). He was very defensive and kept telling Snow that his questions were impertinent. Snow highlighted the fact that the Virgin program is highly secretive and doesn't share information like other space programs. Gave the impression that Branson has something to hide.
wtargentina

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#71  Postby mrjonno » Nov 04, 2014 9:35 am

Macdoc wrote:

Perfectly achievable but achievable in a profitable (and safe) way somewhat doubtful if no one bothers even with supersonic civilian aircraft which were around in the 1970's.

If you can get to Tokyo in 12 hours for £500 will people really pay £5000 to get there in 2?. A few corporate execs might but not even normal business will. I know my company expects their staff even senior ones to fly by Easyjet or equivalent
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#72  Postby johnbrandt » Nov 04, 2014 11:59 am

Still can't believe the way people are so averse to any slight level of risk in anything these days. We see playgrounds with padding everywhere which are now apparently leading to kids who don't know how to handle risk and won't take chances at anything, we see workplace health and safety mutate into something of a ridiculous level.

A spaceship crashes, let's stop the whole program. Someone dies, oh my god, cancel everything, we shouldn't do it at all, forget the whole idea!!!

You have to wonder where we would be if this weak willed philosophy had dominated through human history. Where would aviation or other transport methods be if we gave up the moment it looked a little too risky or someone died?
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#73  Postby wtargentina » Nov 04, 2014 1:44 pm

johnbrandt wrote:Still can't believe the way people are so averse to any slight level of risk in anything these days. We see playgrounds with padding everywhere which are now apparently leading to kids who don't know how to handle risk and won't take chances at anything, we see workplace health and safety mutate into something of a ridiculous level.

A spaceship crashes, let's stop the whole program. Someone dies, oh my god, cancel everything, we shouldn't do it at all, forget the whole idea!!!

You have to wonder where we would be if this weak willed philosophy had dominated through human history. Where would aviation or other transport methods be if we gave up the moment it looked a little too risky or someone died?

Are you the same johnbrandt who wanted to ban all flights to and from countries with ebola because of the tiny risk that you might be infected?
wtargentina

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Weaver » Nov 04, 2014 1:48 pm

wtargentina wrote:
johnbrandt wrote:Still can't believe the way people are so averse to any slight level of risk in anything these days. We see playgrounds with padding everywhere which are now apparently leading to kids who don't know how to handle risk and won't take chances at anything, we see workplace health and safety mutate into something of a ridiculous level.

Are you the same johnbrandt who wanted to ban all flights to and from countries with ebola because of the tiny risk that you might be infected?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#75  Postby VK-machine » Nov 04, 2014 4:28 pm

mrjonno wrote:
Macdoc wrote:

Perfectly achievable but achievable in a profitable (and safe) way somewhat doubtful if no one bothers even with supersonic civilian aircraft which were around in the 1970's.

If you can get to Tokyo in 12 hours for £500 will people really pay £5000 to get there in 2?. A few corporate execs might but not even normal business will. I know my company expects their staff even senior ones to fly by Easyjet or equivalent

Yes, exactly this. A supersonic plane could cut travel time in half or a third at a much lower cost than a rocket plane while being much more comfortable.
Maybe we'll see another Concorde eventually. There's more rich people, partly because the rise of developing countries, partly because the developed countries are shifting income to the top. Then again fuel costs will only be going up for the foreseeable future so I'm not making any bets.

The hype here is unbelievable. Like this is the 1950ies and space travel wasn't routine.
VK-machine

Print view this post

#76  Postby Scot Dutchy » Nov 04, 2014 4:31 pm

Toys for boys as far as I am concerned.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#77  Postby mrjonno » Nov 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Yes, exactly this. A supersonic plane could cut travel time in half or a third at a much lower cost than a rocket plane while being much more comfortable.
Maybe we'll see another Concorde eventually. There's more rich people, partly because the rise of developing countries, partly because the developed countries are shifting income to the top. Then again fuel costs will only be going up for the foreseeable future so I'm not making any bets.

The hype here is unbelievable. Like this is the 1950ies and space travel wasn't routine.

Only businesses are going to bother with supersonic aircraft , the fact I can get to my holiday destination just about anywhere in the world in a day is pretty cool I'm not going to pay much extra for doing it in half a day. Not to mention for most holidays I go on, the getting to the airport and getting through customs takes longer than most flights
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#78  Postby Weaver » Nov 04, 2014 4:43 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Toys for boys as far as I am concerned.

At this stage of development, sure.

But so were automobiles a century + ago. Do you refrain from driving because they were once toys for boys?
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#79  Postby mrjonno » Nov 04, 2014 4:49 pm

Car's are interesting example, while there have been quite a few superficial changes a car in the 1930's still pretty much does the same thing as one in 2014. There is a great difference in safe speed on them.

Main problem with space flight is quite simply rocket propulsion is a very primitive and fundamentally not very safe technology. Something very different is required
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#80  Postby Weaver » Nov 04, 2014 4:52 pm

mrjonno wrote:Car's are interesting example, while there have been quite a few superficial changes a car in the 1930's still pretty much does the same thing as one in 2014. There is a great difference in safe speed on them.

Main problem with space flight is quite simply rocket propulsion is a very primitive and fundamentally not very safe technology. Something very different is required

To achieve the velocities needed, few things offer the thrust-to-weight of rockets - that is precisely why they are used.

Until massive, major leaps in technology - perhaps impossible ones, as materials limitations may prevent things like a Beanstalk space elevator - rockets are going to continue to be the way we get to space.
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs