Is there a secular argument against abortion?

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Is there a secular argument against abortion?

#41  Postby surreptitious57 » Mar 12, 2014 1:05 pm

hackenslash wrote:
Well, until the foetus is independently viable, I see no problem with defining it as an appendage. I have no issues with the development of the nervous system as the cut-off, because that's objectively the point at which suffering for the foetus can
be introduced into the equation (I'd also say that this was the first vestige of personhood, if anybody wanted to rely on such
an argument). I'd have to see very good reasons before I'd condone terminating after that

This is exactly my position too. The only example I can think of that would make abortion morally acceptable after
the development of the nervous system is if the mothers life was in danger and termination was the only option
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#42  Postby redwhine » Mar 12, 2014 1:49 pm

Peter Brown wrote:I never understood the crime of jaywalking in the USA, but then I live in London and jaywalking happens all the time, look right, look left, look right again before you cross, simples. (left, right, left, in the rest of the world).

...apart from India, Japan, Australia and more than 70 other countries, of course. :roll:
Like BEER? ...Click here!

What do I believe?

Atheism is myth understood.
redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Mar 12, 2014 1:57 pm

michael^3 wrote:
hackenslash wrote:There are secular arguments against abortion, but that doesn't mean there are any good ones. 'I don't like it because it's icky, therefore it should be banned' is a perfectly valid argument against abortion, but it's a shit one.

The pro-choice argument often boils down to "I think pregnancy is icky". Just listen to pro-choicers, and invariably, at some point, pregnancy will be presented as if it is some kind of disease, an injustice to women, or even a borderline cancer.

Yes, because if there is one thing on this planet less "icky" than pregnancy... it's an abortion :clap:
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Mar 12, 2014 2:06 pm

As if pregnancy and childbirth aren't leading causes of death for women worldwide. :roll:
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#45  Postby purplerat » Mar 12, 2014 2:11 pm

scott1328 wrote:
Kenaz wrote:People are going to do what they want regardless of laws.

Unsanctioned abortions will happen.

They will not be held to medical standards as they are now.

People will die or have serious issues.

Why make people suffer? Why create criminals?

By this reasoning, murder, theft, and arson, and jaywalking should be legalized as well.

Not really if you take the full comment and most importantly the last two questions into consideration.

By that reasoning, including the answer to those questions, I would hope rational people can see the difference between "why make people suffer for committing murder" and "why make people suffer for having an abortion" and come to different conclusions.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Blackadder » Mar 12, 2014 2:14 pm

Calilasseia wrote:
michael^3 wrote:
hackenslash wrote:There are secular arguments against abortion, but that doesn't mean there are any good ones. 'I don't like it because it's icky, therefore it should be banned' is a perfectly valid argument against abortion, but it's a shit one.

The pro-choice argument often boils down to "I think pregnancy is icky". Just listen to pro-choicers, and invariably, at some point, pregnancy will be presented as if it is some kind of disease, an injustice to women, or even a borderline cancer.

This is, quite simply, bullshit. No pro-choice supporters think pregnancy is "icky". Indeed, when a woman wants to be pregnant, we rejoice in her choice. Look up the word "choice" and learn what it means. If a woman wants to have children, we support her choice to do so. But we also support the choice of women who, for various reasons, don't want to become pregnant, and support their access to contraception, backed by medically safe abortion. In the light of this elementary fact, take your strawman caricature and insert it back into the orifice whence it manifestly came.

indeed, our position consists, in case you hadn't worked this out, of "since it's the woman who will bear the burden of pregnancy, and in many instances, 20 years of subsequent child rearing, she should have complete freedom of choice as to whether to bear this burden". The only opposition I've ever seen to this entirely proper and reasonable position, has come from assorted nutjobs (usually men, I notice), who think that having a mythology rectally inserted bestows upon them the privilege of being able to control the behaviour of others. The most pathological instances usually being coupled to Abrahamic mythologies, because said mythologies are rampantly misogynistic to begin with. All that fatuous business with the asserted talking snake and the asserted magic fruit, purportedly constituting a "reason" why women should be nothing but subservient incubators, being the ultimate source of the misogyny we see running rampant through those mythologies.

michael^3 wrote:
OlivierK wrote:That's how pro-choice arguments sound to you? Wow, there's an insight into confirmation bias if there ever was one.

the other pro-choice argument you can always read between the lines is that we are entitled to our 15 minutes of fun, and damn the consequences.

What is this? Was this post compiled as a competition entry for "Let's Erect The Most Fatuous Strawman Possible" or something?

In case you hadn't worked this out, it's because there are consequences to sex, including some pretty serious ones for the woman, that we support a woman's right to have access to means of avoiding those consequences if she so chooses. Here's a clue for you: it doesn't matter how much assorted wankers wedded to mythology rail about this, humans are going to continue having sex. It's the most powerful urge any of us will ever experience. Telling us not to pay attention thereto, simply because an imaginary magic man purportedly says so, is retarded bullshit. The truly intelligent way forward, is to recognise that this urge is present, and take steps to steer people through the minefield using methods that work. Preaching abstinence doesn't work, whilst contraception almost always does, and on those rare occasions when it doesn't, we have a backup that also works.

Look, let's ditch once and for all this slimy caricature that's erected, usually by fundie wankers, that a woman who wants to exercise control over her reproductive destiny is a "slut". She isn't, she's a normal human being and a normal woman. Drop the fucking Palaeolithic mythology-based view of women as fucking property, and enter the 21st century. Sticking your dick into a woman doesn't make you her "owner". If it takes place with her consent, it makes you someone she wants to have a sexual relationship with. If it takes place without her consent, it makes you her rapist.

At bottom, all the so-called "arguments" I've heard against abortion boil down to "punish the sluts". It's about reducing women to chattel status, so that they become a limitless source of compliant pussy for piss-smelling old bastards who otherwise couldn't even get laid with an inflatable doll. People like Rush Limbaugh, who makes Jabba the fucking Hutt look like an oiled Chippendale, who only backed down from calling a woman a slut on his radio show because sponsors threatened to pull the plug on his money source. Frankly, the aetiology and the pathology of mythology-based misogyny stinks, and railing against abortion on the part of most of the mythology fetishists ultimately reduces to "how dare you not submit your pussy to my control". That's ultimately what it's all about, wielding control over pussy. Well, I have news for you all. There's more to a woman than her plumbing, she also has a brain, he has thoughts, she has feelings, and, as far as I and every other reasonable human being is concerned, because she's a fully paid up member of Homo sapiens, that means she has rights too, including the right to tell arrogant wankers wanting to control her body to fuck off and die in a fire.

Yep. That about covers it.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Shrunk » Mar 12, 2014 2:33 pm

mrjonno wrote:I'm sure there must be at least funding rules/laws on elective surgery. I assume the Canadian health services don't pay for plastic surgery unless they are specific circumstances (injury, risk to mental health etc).

Of course, there are funding decisions that are made under the provincial health care plans. But that is not a matter of criminal legislation. It's just a matter of managing a public health insurance system and deciding on the most appropriate allocation of resources therein.

There must be something similar for abortion as it is only rarely a life risking event not to have

Why "must" there be? Health plans generally cover lots of things that aren't life threatening. A plan that only covered that would be pretty near useless.

No, in Canada, while there is some variation on whether abortions will only be covered if done in a hopsital and the latest gestational age at which it will be covered, it is otherwise fully covered. The one arguable exception is PEI, which covers the service but has no facilities to actually perform it, so women must be referred out of province and cover the travel expenses themselves (Not so great now that they've built a bridge to the mainland).

Reproductive health is a basic aspect of adequate health care. It is only because some people hold superstitious ideas that imbue the issue with moral concerns that it becomes complicated.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#48  Postby mrjonno » Mar 12, 2014 3:01 pm

Why "must" there be? Health plans generally cover lots of things that aren't life threatening

Health threatening yes but on the whole the NHS does not cover any elective surgery It basically covers abortion as UK law say you can only get an abortion if it threatens your health but that is so broad that 'not wanting a baby' counts as harm to mental health so an abortion is no longer elective

There are a few exceptions like reproductive health and that is somewhat controversial (and limited). Society paying for IVF out of public funds is wrong in my opinion.

Abortion is different from having an appendix removed as quite simply its not the doctor suggesting its the patient
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Shrunk » Mar 12, 2014 3:17 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:As if pregnancy and childbirth aren't leading causes of death for women worldwide. :roll:

Women dying, meh. What does that have to do with morality?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Shrunk » Mar 12, 2014 3:22 pm

mrjonno wrote:

Why "must" there be? Health plans generally cover lots of things that aren't life threatening

Health threatening yes but on the whole the NHS does not cover any elective surgery It basically covers abortion as UK law say you can only get an abortion if it threatens your health but that is so broad that 'not wanting a baby' counts as harm to mental health so an abortion is no longer elective.

Yeah, there's always that kind of "nudge, wink" stuff going on. It comes back to my earlier point, that if everyone just sees a law as something to work around in order to do the right thing, there's not much point to the law.

There are a few exceptions like reproductive health and that is somewhat controversial (and limited). Society paying for IVF out of public funds is wrong in my opinion.

Abortion is different from having an appendix removed as quite simply its not the doctor suggesting its the patient

hackenslash just had surgery, so let's ask him: hack, did some doctor just walk up to you on the street and tell you you needed an operation, or was the process initiated by yourself?
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#51  Postby mrjonno » Mar 12, 2014 3:38 pm

hackenslash just had surgery, so let's ask him: hack, did some doctor just walk up to you on the street and tell you you needed an operation, or was the process initiated by yourself?

He may have offered it and accepted it but he would not have requested it.

MrJonno : I would like a new kidney please,
Dr Shrunk : Why nothing in your medical records says you need one
MrJonno: I think its time for something new

Dr Shrunk ok fair enough

That doesn't shouldn't happen in private hospitals through sometimes plastic surgery isnt that far off , do doctors really ask if a nose job is in the patients best interest when they are paying £10k for it

The point is a patient wanting a medical procedure is not sufficient justification to do it
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#52  Postby Shrunk » Mar 12, 2014 3:40 pm

mrjonno wrote:

He may have offered it and accepted it but he would not have requested it.

MrJonno : I would like a new kidney please,
Dr Shrunk : Why nothing in your medical records says you need one
MrJonno: I think its time for something new

Dr Shrunk ok fair enough

That doesn't shouldn't happen in private hospitals through sometimes plastic surgery isnt that far off , do doctors really ask if a nose job is in the patients best interest when they are paying £10k for it

The point is a patient wanting a medical procedure is not sufficient justification to do it

No, of course not.

So what does that have to do with abortion?
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#53  Postby mrjonno » Mar 12, 2014 4:02 pm

Elective surgery has different rules to non-elective surgery
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#54  Postby purplerat » Mar 12, 2014 4:22 pm

mrjonno wrote:

Elective surgery has different rules to non-elective surgery

Is there a big problem in the UK of non-pregnant women seeking abortions?
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#55  Postby mrjonno » Mar 12, 2014 4:28 pm

No, but there is a small problem of women wanting abortions illegally (ie for sex selection) and there are concerns it might grow
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#56  Postby purplerat » Mar 12, 2014 4:36 pm

It's still not an elective procedure. Pregnancy is a serious medical condition that should be treated one way or another. That same people want to select for gender in child rearing is a social problem not a medical problem and should be treated as such.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#57  Postby mrjonno » Mar 12, 2014 4:53 pm

It's still not an elective procedure. Pregnancy is a serious medical condition that should be treated one way or another. That same people want to select for gender in child rearing is a social problem not a medical problem and should be treated as such.

Is pregnancy a 'medical condition'?, its certainly may result in one but so can skiing

Gender selection is a legal issue (in the UK) as there is no 'right' to an abortion
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Onyx8 » Mar 12, 2014 4:59 pm

From the moment my partner became pregnant she was scheduled regular, specific, medical examinations that continued well after she gave birth, so yes it would seem that pregnancy is considered to be a 'medical condition'.

ETA. It certainly was in her case as she almost bled to death during the birth.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#59  Postby purplerat » Mar 12, 2014 5:21 pm

Of course pregnancy is a medical condition. What definition of 'medical condition' are you using for which pregnancy would not be included?
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Onyx8 » Mar 12, 2014 5:22 pm

It's just like having a poop you know, no big deal.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs