Jimmy Savile

Report of death

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Jimmy Savile

#141  Postby HomerJay » Oct 10, 2012 5:10 pm

Paula wrote:Is it not really unusual for the police to make statements like they have in this case? They are saying he is guilty despite the fact there has been no trial or defence of any sort.

I don't think they can dig him up to try him. :ask:

He's dead so they don't have to be careful what they say.

Everything with his name on it is being torn down, at this rate he's going to be famous for being the UK's worst serial rapist and child abuser, just a few years too late.

Last week ASDA were still selling 'officially licenced' Jimmy Savile costumes, I wonder where that money was going.

Apparently you get an adults top, but you have to squeeze into children's bottoms.
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#142  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 10, 2012 5:12 pm

Paul wrote:His family haven't just had the good sense to have his gravestone removed, the BBC are reporting that it is being destroyed and sent to landfill. Do even his family not expect him to be exonerated?

They even chiseled out the engravings. They know damn well he is guilty. He took his nephew to sick parties where young girls were being passed around.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#143  Postby james1v » Oct 10, 2012 5:15 pm

They could dig him up and lay him flat (hes buried at a forty-five degree angle), thatud teach him. :evilgrin:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#144  Postby tolman » Oct 10, 2012 5:28 pm

Paul wrote:His family haven't just had the good sense to have his gravestone removed, the BBC are reporting that it is being destroyed and sent to landfill. Do even his family not expect him to be exonerated?

Maybe they think that even if allegations could somehow be refuted (which at present seems highly unlikely) his grave would remain a target of vandalism by people who didn't believe the refutation, which would be distressing not only for the family but for many other people who have loved ones buried nearby.

It's pretty hard to be exonerated unless most/all accusations can be shown to be bogus (people couldn't have been where they say they were, etc) or are withdrawn.

If, as seems the case here, in addition to claims from people of being victims, there are also various people effectively saying "We thought something dodgy was going on at the time but were afraid to say anything", even in the event the seemingly dodgy behaviour had just been suspicious-but-actually-innocent activity it's unlikely someone could be 'exonerated'.
People seem relatively unlikely to make up explicit stories of being collectively concerned at the time of later-alleged-events, since that doesn't seem like something multiple people in different places are likely to misremember happening, it puts them in a bad light, and it's something which would seem likely to be denied by other people if it hadn't been a topic of conversation.

Now, there might be circumstances where someone had behaved suspiciously but was entirely innocent, but it would seem fairly unlikely in such an event that multiple people would make up stories of being victims which fitted fairly well to the suspicious behaviour others had noted at the time.
Ultimately, to behave suspiciously is, to an extent, to open oneself up to possible accusations which would be hard to refute.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#145  Postby ughaibu » Oct 10, 2012 6:25 pm

As paedophile hysteria goes, this Savile nonsense completely takes the cake. Will footage of the guy be excised from any historical film that casts him in a positive light?
Take down his headstone, posthumously strip him of his knighthood, what the fuck? And this board appears to have a shitpile of members who take this crap seriously.
ughaibu

Print view this post

#146  Postby Posse Comitatus » Oct 10, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: possibility of innocence, he did detail fucking an underage girl in his autobiography and noting explicitly how the police were too afraid to act.
Posse Comitatus

Name: Steven

Taiwan (tw)
Print view this post

#147  Postby Scarlett » Oct 10, 2012 6:27 pm

tolman wrote:
Paula wrote:Is it not really unusual for the police to make statements like they have in this case? They are saying he is guilty despite the fact there has been no trial or defence of any sort.

Well, if someone is dead, there's no real issue of prejudicing a trial.

They may have taken the view that if they've not only got statements from multiple complainants claiming that they were victims in various places, but also somewhat corroborating evidence from others regarding suspicions existing at the time and a blind eye being turned that they're confident it can't be a case of people jumping on a bandwagon, especially if multiple people came forward as a result of his death (and subsequent eulogies) but before there were meaningful public accusations flying around which people might have decided to echo.

Yea, I reckon he's probably guilty, I just don't think I've ever heard of the police making a statement like this.

It must be a relief in a way for some of the women to be able to talk, so sad.
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#148  Postby chairman bill » Oct 10, 2012 6:36 pm

“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#149  Postby Red Celt » Oct 10, 2012 6:39 pm

I'm wondering if there was ever an episode of Top Of The Pops, featuring Jimmy Saville and Jonathan King as presenters... and Gary Glitter singing.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
Red Celt

Name: Red Celt
Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#150  Postby chairman bill » Oct 10, 2012 6:44 pm

With an appearance from Michael Jackson too?
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#151  Postby Red Celt » Oct 10, 2012 6:46 pm

chairman bill wrote:With an appearance from Michael Jackson too?

So that girls and boys would have been given reason to be nervous? Fair point... although slightly different eras. I think Michael Jackson would have been too young to have had anything in the charts at the same times as Glitter.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
Red Celt

Name: Red Celt
Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#152  Postby DaveD » Oct 10, 2012 7:01 pm

No, though Jackson would have been a teenager when Glitter was in the charts. Jackson's solo career started in 1971, and before that he'd been part of the Jackson 5.
DaveD

Name: Dave Davis
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#153  Postby chairman bill » Oct 10, 2012 7:04 pm

I suppose it's possible that the Bay City Rollers would be on the same TOTP bill, with their sex offender manager, Tom Paton
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#154  Postby tolman » Oct 10, 2012 7:09 pm

ughaibu wrote:As paedophile hysteria goes, this Savile nonsense completely takes the cake. Will footage of the guy be excised from any historical film that casts him in a positive light?
Take down his headstone, posthumously strip him of his knighthood, what the fuck? And this board appears to have a shitpile of members who take this crap seriously.

I think at least the temporary removal of the headstone would probably be understandable even just for the sake of other people with relatives in the cemetery.
As for what his relatives think, I have no idea what their various views are, and I don't envy them their current position.

And there's certainly a difference between taking allegations seriously (as in not dismissing them out of hand)
and taking them seriously (as in believing them without question).

Personally, I'd tend to be very wary of assuming guilt of famous people on the basis of single allegations, or on allegations with a potential bandwagon element to them, or where there was a decent possibility of collusion.

There would be things likely to make me sway more towards the opinion that guilt was likely, such as having independent allegations from people unknown to each other, allegations made before publicity was given to the first one, and some kind of other corroboration from other people.

For example, if a dead priest had had some accusation of child abuse made publicly and then afterwards someone came along who'd never said anything to anyone before and who went straight for a PR agent before making allegations and then having some large spread in the press, I'd be fairly wary of the allegation.

If the priest had died and then multiple people from different places where they had worked who were seemingly unconnected came forward to make allegations (before allegations were made public) which were consistent with each other, and then various other people also came forward to say they'd been adults at the time with some suspicions but had either said/done nothing out of fear or out of not wanting to make serious allegations on the basis of mere suspicion, or had had their suspicions dismissed by superiors, I might be rather more likely to think some kind of conclusion might be defensible.

As things stand at the moment in this case, I'm sure more information will be forthcoming and there's little obvious need for me to to make a conclusion as such, beyond concluding that so far things look pretty terminal for his reputation.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#155  Postby ughaibu » Oct 10, 2012 7:28 pm

Tolman: thanks for the reply. To be consistent, let's posthumously strip Henry the eighth of his rank. So, if we accept the notion that there is a legitimate monarch of the UK, who would it be?
ughaibu

Print view this post

#156  Postby Emmeline » Oct 10, 2012 7:29 pm

ughaibu wrote:As paedophile hysteria goes, this Savile nonsense completely takes the cake. Will footage of the guy be excised from any historical film that casts him in a positive light?

It isn't crap. His behaviour is so well known that very few in the public sphere will defend him. That's why the police, the media and most of his own family are acting as though he was already convicted, because they know he has a 40 year history of abusing under-age girls.
Emmeline

Print view this post

#157  Postby tolman » Oct 10, 2012 7:54 pm

ughaibu wrote:Tolman: thanks for the reply. To be consistent, let's posthumously strip Henry the eighth of his rank. So, if we accept the notion that there is a legitimate monarch of the UK, who would it be?

Where have I suggested stripping this guy of anything yet?

And Henry VIII wasn't king as some kind of honorary title, he was king as a result of inheriting the throne in the then-existing system of government.
He was the king, so it would be historically inaccurate to now say that he hadn't been, and of no obvious value to say he was when he was alive but not after he died (since everyone knows he wasn't the monarch after he had died).
In this case, it would also be rather confusing if he had to be called by a name few people would know him by - 'Henry' isn't enough, Henry VIII has an implicit 'king' in front of it, and 'Henry Tudor' while technically accurate (if name of 'house' and 'surname' are considered the same) is what his father was known as before becoming Henry VII.

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting that people say JS hadn't ever had a knighthood, or hadn't at one time been 'Sir Jimmy', just that the title suggests a certain level of respect many people now think he doesn't deserve.
If a title is honorary, or is obtained by merit like an academic title, it certainly seems to be valid to officially remove such a title when someone is alive if they have, respectively, seriously dishonoured themselves or are found to have cheated in examinations.

I'm personally not sure about the merits of doing so after someone is dead, since for most people it seems easy to simply fail to use the title even if it hasn't been officially withdrawn, though I guess some organisations might be under some kind of nominal obligation to use titles if they haven't been officially removed, even if the breaking of such obligation is something that few people would be likely to complain about in certain situations.

And the longer someone has been dead, the more futile trying to change things would be.

Though it'd be an interesting debate how long someone should be dead before the idea becomes entirely futile.
tolman

Print view this post

#158  Postby ughaibu » Oct 10, 2012 7:59 pm

tolman wrote:Where have I suggested stripping this guy of anything yet?
Either you address what I wrote or you don't.
tolman wrote:And Henry VIII wasn't king as some kind of honorary title
So the fuck what? He fucked under age girls.
ughaibu

Print view this post

#159  Postby james1v » Oct 10, 2012 8:06 pm

ughaibu wrote:
tolman wrote:Where have I suggested stripping this guy of anything yet?
Either you address what I wrote or you don't.
tolman wrote:And Henry VIII wasn't king as some kind of honorary title
So the fuck what? He fucked under age girls.

The king, back then, could fuck anyone, including his own mother if he wanted to (and some did), he WAS the law!
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#160  Postby ughaibu » Oct 10, 2012 8:20 pm

james1v wrote:
ughaibu wrote:He fucked under age girls.
The king, back then, could fuck anyone, including his own mother if he wanted to (and some did), he WAS the law!
Quite.
ughaibu

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs