Law societies consider rejecting grads of anti-gay school

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Law societies consider rejecting grads of anti-gay school

#281  Postby Shrunk » Sep 18, 2014 1:32 am

Nicko wrote:
Shrunk wrote:There is no question that TWU's policy is discriminatory.

Correct. The question is whether the discrimination is something that is relevant to this case. That is, whether it is illegal discrimination. And as long as it is legal to run a university with TWU's bizarre "Community Covenant", any disagreement with that Covenant is a private political opinion that should have no bearing on the decisions of a Law Society.

Shrunk wrote:There is also no question that refusing to allow them to hold such a policy violates its freedom of religious practice.

Well I have a few problems.

If someone wants to promote a religion, they are free to start a church.

If someone wants to start a university, they should be prohibited from requiring their students to commit to an ideological statement. That is, the law should be changed to prevent TWU from doing what it is doing now to any of their students or staff.

I'm reminded of a comment by my alma mater's Vice Chancellor in a speech he gave to first year students. It was pretty much a stock speech that didn't change much in the decade and a half between the two times I attended. The comment was:

"You will not be the same person you are now by the time you leave here."

This sums up to me what tertiary education is supposed to be about. A time to expand your horizons. A time to question yourself and what you believe. To figure out what you stand for and what you won't stand for.

TWU effectively says to their students, "Your horizons are going nowhere. You will not question your beliefs. You will not change. You will be the same person you were when you walked in the door."

This is utterly antithetical to what I understand a university education to be about. The fact that an institution like TWU is allowed to style itself a university is a searing indictment on the failure of Canada to properly regulate tertiary education.

The "problem", such as it is, is in the constitutional guarantees to freedom of religion and of assembly. Every university has a code of conduct, and every code of conduct is the result of a particular philosophical and political viewpoint. If a university takes a firm stand against, say, sexual harassment on campus, that is a political position. One with which some strongly disagree. To single out religious philosophies as the one category not allowed to influence university policies is, to say the least, problematic.

Shrunk wrote:That is acknowledged in the Supreme Court decision in the BC College of Teachers case. So two fundamental rights and freedoms are in conflict here, and the way that has been resolved is to view TWU as a private religious institution analogous to a church.

So, the Supreme Court has ruled that, in cases like this, the religious freedom trumps the discrimination?

As I have hinted, I think this decision was silly, but it sounds like a decision that the Law Societies need to abide by. At least until well-meaning Canadians stop letting themselves get distracted by the sideshow an focus on the real issue.

Shrunk wrote:The balancing of those two rights in that narrow situation does not necessarily lead to the conclusion that TWU's policy must also take precedence over the policies of professional regulatory bodies like the Law Societies.

I don't see why not. Particularly since the "narrow situation" described in the legal precedent is virtually identical to this case.

No, if is not identical on at least a couple fronts.

As I explained earlier, the TWU policy in the earlier case did not amount to defacto discrimination. No actual restrictions were placed on gay students that were not placed on straight students as well, except to the extent that Canadian law itself disadvantaged gays by not allowing them to marry. TWU cannot be held responsible for that.

There is also the fact that the BCCT had already approved TWU teacher training program. It was a five year course in which the final year only was spent at Simon Fraser University, a secular instituation. The Supreme Court case was triggered when TWU decided to take control of the whole program, and the BCCT then decided to withdraw accreditation. The Court rightly agreed that it was difficult to support the BCCT's effective position that the four years at TWU inculcated homophobia in all the students, but this was then driven out by that final year at Simon Fraser.

Finally, on a less purely legal perspective, the political and cultural climate in this country is now dramatically different a decade and a half after that decision. Although the court is supposed to be immune to such social changes, the fact remains that there has been a sea change in public attitude towards gay rights in the intervening years, to the point that what was once a contentious and divisive issue is now practically a truism. Try as it might, the Court cannot ignore such factors. It is far from a sure thing that the same case, if heard today, would result in the same decision.

Shrunk wrote:
Nicko wrote:
Shrunk wrote:Sure, that's "pushing an agenda". But it's an agenda that the law society is empowered to push.

I don't think so. The mandate of the Law Societies is to ensure that people practicing law are qualified to advocate in the interests of their clients. What the Law Societies who are rejecting TWU's accreditation by the national body are doing is just as unacceptable as if they decided to support a particular political party.

It's absolutely fine for a lawyer - or anyone else - to hold the opinion that some practice that is currently legal is discriminatory and to argue, organise and campaign for the law to be altered to reflect this assessment.

It is utterly unacceptable to use provincial Law Societies - the entire point of which is that they are politically neutral - as a tool to achieve this goal.

Except that the Law Societies are not taking a position on that political issue. As far as they are concerned, religious schools can continue to grant degrees. They just can't dictate the policies of the Law Societies.

When someone says that a practice not legally defined as unfairly discriminatory should be regarded as unfair discrimination, they are expressing a political opinion.

And, again, that is not how I see the statement. It is, rather, a position on how wide the religious exemption to antidiscrimination laws should extend. It is not saying that such exemptions should not exist at all.

Shrunk wrote:Let's suppose the Law Society of Upper Canada has a policy that all law schools must include 20 hours of instruction in constitutional law as part of its curriculum. However, TWU refuses to teach con law and cites religious reasons for this. There is no law that requires a law school to teach con law. Refusing to do so is entirely legal. So does it follow that the Law Society is now bound to disregard its rule regarding the curriculum? I don't see how that follows.

Actually, since ConLaw is a normal part of what someone with an Ll.B should be expected to have a grounding in, the Law Societies would be entirely justified in making rulings on this basis. In fact, during the original approval process by the national body, problems with the curriculum were identified and TWU corrected them.

Not a good hypothetical. There may be no law requiring that law schools teach ConLaw, but there is a law requiring Law Societies make sure that people practicing law know what the fuck they are doing.

The law, at least in Ontario (I have not looked at other provinces) does not say that. It is actually very vague on what criteria the Law Society should use in accrediting schools. That the educational program should be adequate would seem to be one obvious consideration. But that is not at all specified as the only one.

Shrunk wrote:Again, it comes down to the question of the extent to which a religious institution's freedom of practice must intrude on the policies of independent secular organizations. I don't think it is necessary to go as far as you suggest. You actually suggest balancing the two competing rights farther against religious rights than I do.

In a way. I just don't see how running a university can be defined as a "religious right".

Shrunk wrote:I don't say any married homosexuals are studying there. They keep saying homosexual students are enrolled there, and these students have just signed the pledge agreeing not to have sex while they are students. With which, I'm sure, they comply to exactly the same degree as the heterosexual students. :) However, it remains unknown to me whether they would agree to admit a student married to a same-sex spouse. As I read the policy, I believe they would not.

Quite probably. Perhaps someone married to someone of the same sex should attempt to enroll, then sue the fuckers. I'd be all for that.

That would be interesting, I agree. A successful suit would mean going against legal precedent, but as I suggest the time may be ripe for that.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#282  Postby Shrunk » Sep 26, 2014 7:33 pm

The BC Law Society is at this moment debating whether to reverse its decision to approve TWU. The debate is being live streamed here:

http://new.livestream.com/mediaco/lsbc09262014
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#283  Postby Shrunk » Sep 26, 2014 7:53 pm

They've voted to hold a binding referendum of all members on whether to accredit TWU. If that goes the same way as the vote that led to today's meeting, then TWU's accreditation will be denied.

All of which, of course, is just a preliminary to the eventual Supreme Court decision.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#284  Postby Shrunk » Oct 31, 2014 7:29 pm

Members of the Law Society of British Columbia have voted 74 per cent in favour of reversing the society's earlier approval to recognize graduates of Trinity Western University's School of Law.

Victoria lawyer Michael Mulligan says more than 8,000 of the society's 13,530 members voted.

The final decision is up to the law society's board of governors, known as benchers. They are expected to ratify the decision on Friday....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.2818540
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#285  Postby Shrunk » Nov 21, 2014 9:39 pm

It’s beginning to look more as if there will not be a law school opening in the fall of 2016 at Trinity Western University.

Although the proposal was approved by the provincial government and the Canadian Federation of Law Societies, growing opprobrium from the nation’s lawyers and the ensuing lawsuits are scuttling hopes for the Langley-based evangelical institution.

The furor ignited by the initial approval of the school caught most of the country by surprise and the subsequent litigation in at least three provinces ensures a legal fight that will last years.

Consequently, Advanced Education Minister Amrik Virk has given TWU until Nov. 28 to erase the concern the lawsuits are a kiss of death for the law school.

“As you are aware under the terms and conditions of consent, TWU must enrol students within three years from the date of consent (December, 2013),” Virk said in a letter Monday.

But there’s no way that by then there will be a final resolution of the legal issues raised by the school’s creation and the provincial law societies’ refusal to recognize it.

“As a result,” Virk said, “I am considering revoking my consent for TWU’s proposed law program.”...

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Mulgre ... z3JjuvtP9T
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#286  Postby Shrunk » Dec 13, 2014 9:50 pm

Trinity Western law school: B.C. advanced education minister revokes approval

A no-brainer of a decision. As things stand, grads of TWU will not be able to practice in BC. It makes no sense, then, for the BC gov't to allow the school.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#287  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Dec 13, 2014 10:25 pm

FACT-MAN-2 wrote:
Law Societies have every right to determine the qualifications for entry into their membership, and they're right to consider graduates of a law school that's part of a university that's institutionalized homophobic policies as being unacceptable.

I presume you would be okay if they were to exclude based upon a factor which you are included to as well?
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

Name: Jerome

United States (us)
Print view this post

#288  Postby THWOTH » Dec 13, 2014 11:13 pm

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:
FACT-MAN-2 wrote:
Law Societies have every right to determine the qualifications for entry into their membership, and they're right to consider graduates of a law school that's part of a university that's institutionalized homophobic policies as being unacceptable.

I presume you would be okay if they were to exclude based upon a factor which you are included to as well?

The point is that the body charged with ratifying a qualification has stated that it is not prepared to endorse qualification from universities which advocate or promote discrimination prohibited in law - they have not stated that they're not prepared to ratify qualification on the basis of FACT-MAN-2's personal opinion.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#289  Postby Nicko » Dec 13, 2014 11:31 pm

THWOTH wrote:
Jerome Da Gnome wrote:
FACT-MAN-2 wrote:

The point is that the body charged with ratifying a qualification has stated that it is not prepared to endorse qualification from universities which advocate or promote discrimination prohibited in law - they have not stated that they're not prepared to ratify qualification on the basis of FACT-MAN-2's personal opinion.

But the university does not advocate/promote discrimination prohibited in law. TWUs policies are - unfortunately - entirely legal.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#290  Postby THWOTH » Dec 13, 2014 11:34 pm

OK. Grey area. The main point stands.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#291  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Dec 13, 2014 11:40 pm

THWOTH wrote:OK. Grey area. The main point stands.

Would it be okay if they were to deny anyone that comes from a school which supports abortion?
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

#292  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Dec 13, 2014 11:49 pm

Think about the resulting consequences. What is there as a norm today that you would like changed? How about if your right to speak about your views was hindered in such a way. Punishing people for their thoughts and speech is a terrible precedence for a free society.

Consider homosexuality would not have an open and normal status today if such restrictions were put upon peoples' thoughts and speech regarding the subject.

Many want to be a fascist when it is thoughts they don't like.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

#293  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Dec 13, 2014 11:53 pm

THWOTH wrote: - they have not stated that they're not prepared to ratify qualification on the basis of FACT-MAN-2's personal opinion.

It is individuals that will be punished, and for another's thought, not necessarily their own.

Punishment by association. Stasi in the open.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

#294  Postby Shrunk » Dec 14, 2014 2:22 am

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:

Would it be okay if they were to deny anyone that comes from a school which supports abortion?

How is that analogous?
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#295  Postby Shrunk » Dec 14, 2014 2:24 am

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:Think about the resulting consequences. What is there as a norm today that you would like changed? How about if your right to speak about your views was hindered in such a way. Punishing people for their thoughts and speech is a terrible precedence for a free society.

Consider homosexuality would not have an open and normal status today if such restrictions were put upon peoples' thoughts and speech regarding the subject.

Many want to be a fascist when it is thoughts they don't like.

Which thoughts and speech are being punished here? Are you sure you've actually read the thread? You seem to have no familiarity with what the topic is.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#296  Postby Shrunk » Dec 14, 2014 2:24 am

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:
THWOTH wrote: - they have not stated that they're not prepared to ratify qualification on the basis of FACT-MAN-2's personal opinion.

It is individuals that will be punished, and for another's thought, not necessarily their own.

Which individuals are being punished?
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#297  Postby THWOTH » Dec 14, 2014 2:46 am

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:

Discrimination on the basis of being pro-abortion or anti-gay should not be condoned or tolerated. A specifically religious justification for any form of discrimination is just as bankrupt as any other justification for discrimination, though I accept that the conditions of religious-group membership sometimes demand automatic discrimination against this-or-that nominal group. A sincere religious belief does not validate or mitigate discriminatory practices even if religious freedoms afford people the right to hold discriminatory or otherwise bankrupt ideas. This is not just about what one would prefer either; who would actually tolerate discrimination or prefer it over the alternative other than a discriminating bigot?

So what's your take?
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#298  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Dec 14, 2014 2:53 am

THWOTH wrote:
Discrimination on the basis of being pro-abortion or anti-gay should not be condoned or tolerated.

50 years ago being pro-gay was not the norm. Should people with those views have been denied access? Not in a free society is my view.

My impression from your post to me was you approved of discrimination based upon a person's views. Was that not your expression?
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

#299  Postby THWOTH » Dec 14, 2014 2:54 am

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:

Lol. People are not allowed to operate discriminatory practices even if they have discriminatory ideals. If a school of law does not maintain this basic legal principle, and, for example, condones, promotes or supports discrimination on religious grounds then who is actually being ill-served, who is actually being punished? Is it a 'punishment' to be forbidden from discriminating against others? Would you want to be represented by a lawyer who had little or no respect for some of your fundamental legal and human rights?
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#300  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Dec 14, 2014 2:55 am

Shrunk wrote:
How is that analogous?

It is denying access based upon a viewpoint.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs