Malaysian 777 Crashes near Ukraine Russian border

Reports saying it was shot down

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Malaysian 777 Crashes near Ukraine Russian border

#121  Postby Paul » Jul 18, 2014 7:07 pm

DavidMcC wrote:There is a lot of over-simplistic thinking going on here. I never said that NO blame should be placed on the combatants in this war, FFS! All I said is that there has to be SOME blame on over-confident airlines that take more risk with their passegers' lives than they ought. They CANNOT assume that the air becomes safe above x thousand feet, when one of the parties to the conflict could be obtaining sophisticated weapons, in spite of denials.

The airline assumed nothing. The airspace over the region had been deemed safe by the appropriate authorities, so don't blame the airline.

Malaysia Airlines says the route for Flight MH17 over the Ukraine had been accepted by Eurocontrol for an altitude of 35,000 ft. but Ukrainian controllers kept the 777-200ER (9M-MRD) flying at 33,000 ft. instead.

Despite the difference in altitude, the aircraft was in airspace that had been deemed safe to fly in by both the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and International Air Transport Association (IATA), according to the airline’s most recent statements on its website and on Twitter.

http://aviationweek.com/commercial-aviation/mh17-flight-route-approved-eurocontrol-safe-icao-iata
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#122  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 18, 2014 7:08 pm

I've just heard on the TV news that, whilst the International Aviation Authority allows overflight of the region, the US authority has banned such overflights. History has proved that they did the right thing.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#123  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jul 18, 2014 7:10 pm

DavidMcC wrote:There is a lot of over-simplistic thinking going on here. I never said that NO blame should be placed on the combatants in this war, FFS! All I said is that there has to be SOME blame on over-confident airlines that take more risk with their passegers' lives than they ought. They CANNOT assume that the air becomes safe above x thousand feet, when one of the parties to the conflict could be obtaining sophisticated weapons, in spite of denials.

Here you go.

Most of the decisions about a route are taken by airlines. But they must avoid no-fly zones. The area where the Malaysian airliner crashed had a no-fly zone in place up to 32,000ft (9,754m). The airliner was flying at 33,000ft (10,058m).

Interesting article and well worth reading.

To put it in perspective, these aircraft are 6 miles up in the air. The only people who could possibly shoot one down is a technically competent government backed force, not any sort of insurgent "militia".

The problem for Russia is to date they have maintained this is a local insurrection by concerned citizens armed with privately owned weapons. That fig leaf is now gone, gone, gone.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#124  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 18, 2014 7:11 pm

Paul wrote:

The airline assumed nothing. The airspace over the region had been deemed safe by the appropriate authorities, so don't blame the airline.

Malaysia Airlines says the route for Flight MH17 over the Ukraine had been accepted by Eurocontrol for an altitude of 35,000 ft. but Ukrainian controllers kept the 777-200ER (9M-MRD) flying at 33,000 ft. instead.

Despite the difference in altitude, the aircraft was in airspace that had been deemed safe to fly in by both the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and International Air Transport Association (IATA), according to the airline’s most recent statements on its website and on Twitter.

http://aviationweek.com/commercial-aviation/mh17-flight-route-approved-eurocontrol-safe-icao-iata

Well, I trust they will have a serious rethink on that, now! Also, their rules presumably do not force airlines to throw caution to the wind.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#125  Postby Paul » Jul 18, 2014 7:14 pm

:roll: Hindsight is such a wonderful thing isn't it?
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#126  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 18, 2014 7:16 pm

Thanks, Tortured_Genius.
Most of the decisions about a route are taken by airlines.

Thus, the airlines are not as innocent as many are claiming here.
What international travellers need to take home from this is that they should check on the route their airline is taking if they suspect that it may overfly a potentially high-tech, on-going war.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#127  Postby quisquose » Jul 18, 2014 7:17 pm

Paul wrote::roll: Hindsight is such a wonderful thing isn't it?

Yes, I'm reminded of Judge Pickles reprimanding rape victims for wearing short skirts.
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#128  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 18, 2014 7:18 pm

Not my hindsight, for sure! I would not have booked a flight over eastern Ukraine, no way! I suspect that it is a commercial gamble when airlines make irresponsible route decisions.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#129  Postby Paul » Jul 18, 2014 7:20 pm

DavidMcC wrote:Thanks, Tortured_Genius.

What international travellers need to take home from this is that they should check on the route their airline is taking if they suspect that it may overfly a potentially high-tech, on-going war.

The full quote

Most of the decisions about a route are taken by airlines. But they must avoid no-fly zones. The area where the Malaysian airliner crashed had a no-fly zone in place up to 32,000ft (9,754m). The airliner was flying at 33,000ft (10,058m).

Which bit of the no-fly zone being up to 32,000ft is giving you problems? The airlines were told not to route below 32,000ft, recognizing that there were real risks lower down.
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#130  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 18, 2014 7:21 pm

quisquose wrote:

Yes, I'm reminded of Judge Pickles reprimanding rape victims for wearing short skirts.

:rofl:
That's the most preposterous analogy I've ever heard!
Also, it seems that the concept of partial blame on different paties has once again been sunk by unclear thinking.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#131  Postby quisquose » Jul 18, 2014 7:24 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
quisquose wrote:

Also, it seems that the concept of partial blame on different paties has once again been sunk by unclear thinking.

But then ...

DavidMcC wrote:Not my hindsight, for sure! I would not have booked a flight over eastern Ukraine, no way!
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#132  Postby Varangian » Jul 18, 2014 7:24 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
quisquose wrote:

And blaming the victim is an example of clear thinking?

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#133  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 18, 2014 7:25 pm

Paul wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:Thanks, Tortured_Genius.

The full quote

Which bit of the no-fly zone being up to 32,000ft is giving you problems? The airlines were told not to route below 32,000ft, recognizing that there were real risks lower down.

Which aviation authority would that be? The US one has banned overflight altogether. Also, there is no obligation on airlines to push their "rights" to the limit.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#134  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jul 18, 2014 7:29 pm

DavidMcC wrote:BTW, which other airlines flying were flying over eastern Ukraine a the time?

It's commonplace.

http://www.ibtimes.com/mh17-flying-over ... es-1632066

EDIT: fixed quote tag.
Last edited by CdesignProponentsist on Jul 18, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#135  Postby Varangian » Jul 18, 2014 7:32 pm

Russia Today Correspondent Resigns Over Coverage Of Ukrainian Plane Crash.

“It’s not worth mentioning. It’s Russia Today all over, it’s flirting with that border of overtly lying. You’re not telling a lie, you’re just bringing something up. I didn’t want to watch a story like that, where people have lost loved ones and we’re handling it like that.

“I couldn’t do it any more. Every single day we’re lying and finding sexier ways to do it.”

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#136  Postby Paul » Jul 18, 2014 7:34 pm

DavidMcC wrote:Which aviation authority would that be?

The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and International Air Transport Association (IATA) for starters.

DavidMcC wrote:The US one has banned overflight altogether.

Which US one?
Also, there is no obligation on airlines to push their "rights" to the limit.

It's not a question of "rights". NOTAMs do not give rights, they give warnings.
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#137  Postby Weaver » Jul 18, 2014 7:38 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
Weaver wrote:Well said.

Aircraft are routinely flown over war zones - particularly when the war zones in question are nearly utterly contained to ground combat. There was no indication that this was a particularly unsafe area to fly at full cruising altitude - the sole AN26 shootdown was lower, and the SU25 was downed by air-to-air combat.

That the "rebels / separatists" (i.e. Russian military) would be dumb enough to engage a civilian airliner at high altitude simply wasn't that likely, given the state and flow of the conflict thus far.

I don't blame Malaysia Air, nor do I blame the "separatists" - the blame is wholly in Russian's lap.

You're as bad as Cdesign... The routine overflying of war zones surely only applies where there is no anti-aircraft capability at all. It is obvious that there is that possibility in this case, due to the connection with Russia, and the undoubted sympathies of many within the Russian military with the separatists. You wuldn't catch me flying "Air Weaver", trust me!

BTW, which other airlines flying were flying over eastern Ukraine a the time?

The Ukrainian airspace was restricted below 32,000 feet. The Malaysian Air flight was flying an approved flight path at 33,000 feet, respecting the restriction which was most likely based on the threat of MANPADs plus a very hefty safety margin. Many other aircraft were also flying above the restricted airspace, as Cdesign points out.

There was no reason whatsoever for that plane to be engaged - NONE. Blaming the airline operator for the despicable acts of an out-of-control Russian "militia" is absurd.

As for flying Air Weaver, don't worry - I don't operate an airliner. But I do have extensive experience employing weapons within restricted airspaces - the artillery I fired would routinely exceed 30,000 feet, and some locations I fired within had restrictions as low as 10,000 feet or lower (sometimes much lower, depending on the tactical situation). Other areas had airspace restrictions literally from ground to space - the Goldstone array was one I had to worry about a few times. But for ordinary fires, restrictions are commonplace - Fort Bragg, for example, is an installation under the "Open Skies" treaty, and has unlimited airspace above 20,000 feet - yet, depending on the munition and range at which I was firing, I could have exceeded that with ease. Proper procedures ensure that peacetime (and wartime) fires can be conducted with proper regard to safety - and disregard for procedures and policies means that accidents can happen.

So, if I'd failed to follow proper procedures on Fort Bragg, and shot down a plane travelling at, say, 24,000 feet AGL (insanely unlikely with isolated artillery fires, but still possible) would you blame me and my Fire Direction Center for not following proper procedures and limitations, or would you blame the airliner and pilots for flying above but outside a restricted airspace zone?
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#138  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 18, 2014 7:40 pm

Perhaps the airlines and aviation authorities will learn from their mistake, then. However, there are no doubt commercial pressures to throw caution to the wind, ever since the Icelandic volcanic eruption that grounded so many planes unnecessarily some years ago. They have now swung the other way, allowing wrecklessness, instead of forcing over-caution.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#139  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 18, 2014 7:42 pm

Weaver wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
Weaver wrote:Well said.

Aircraft are routinely flown over war zones - particularly when the war zones in question are nearly utterly contained to ground combat. There was no indication that this was a particularly unsafe area to fly at full cruising altitude - the sole AN26 shootdown was lower, and the SU25 was downed by air-to-air combat.

That the "rebels / separatists" (i.e. Russian military) would be dumb enough to engage a civilian airliner at high altitude simply wasn't that likely, given the state and flow of the conflict thus far.

I don't blame Malaysia Air, nor do I blame the "separatists" - the blame is wholly in Russian's lap.

You're as bad as Cdesign... The routine overflying of war zones surely only applies where there is no anti-aircraft capability at all. It is obvious that there is that possibility in this case, due to the connection with Russia, and the undoubted sympathies of many within the Russian military with the separatists. You wuldn't catch me flying "Air Weaver", trust me!

BTW, which other airlines flying were flying over eastern Ukraine a the time?

The Ukrainian airspace was restricted below 32,000 feet. The Malaysian Air flight was flying an approved flight path at 33,000 feet, respecting the restriction which was most likely based on the threat of MANPADs plus a very hefty safety margin. Many other aircraft were also flying above the restricted airspace, as Cdesign points out.

There was no reason whatsoever for that plane to be engaged - NONE. Blaming the airline operator for the despicable acts of an out-of-control Russian "militia" is absurd.

Of course there wasn't! It is thought to have been a mistake by the separatist militants - something that happens in wars.
BTW, it doesn't surprise me at all that you still infer incorrectly that I am "blaming the air operator" entirely!
When, O when will this nonsense stop. :roll:
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#140  Postby Paul » Jul 18, 2014 7:45 pm

Well of course if God had intended man to fly, he would have given us wings.

I blame Orville and Wilbur.
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs