Malaysian 777 Crashes near Ukraine Russian border

Reports saying it was shot down

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Malaysian 777 Crashes near Ukraine Russian border

#421  Postby Acetone » Jul 30, 2014 1:46 am

I still want a source for that interview...

I find it a bit disappointing that the only thing you can continuously harp on is that what is released thus far is 'unverifiable' or doctored etc etc., even after I point it out... Have you nothing better?

I mean it's only that this type of argumentation is exactly what one would expect from a conspiracy theory... not much else... sooo?
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#422  Postby Acetone » Jul 30, 2014 1:51 am

magikrooster wrote:
Acetone wrote:

Funnily enough, if everyone blamed USA for this and the same amount of evidence was available to implicate Russian separatists would rooster 180 his opinion just to be against the masses? That's how I think some conspiracy theorists operate, honest. What's it called? Contrarian?

But who are the masses? If you mean the people in this discussion forum then I'd say they are not anywhere near a reflection of what the masses of the world think.

What we have is the USA and Kiev saying one thing, and refusing to release any evidence (except in Kiev's case they release amateurish fake evidence for the most part)
Then we have Russia, saying another thing and releasing satellite images etc to back up their case.

Clearly this makes them look more credible.
That's actually not the case, and it's completely intellectually dishonest to paint it this way.

I think I'm done with this conversation. You just join in, insult pretty much everyone, and spew the most intellectual dishonest horseshit I've ever seen.
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#423  Postby Varangian » Jul 30, 2014 1:55 am

Also, taking Russian, separatist and conspiracy theorist claims at face value, while questioning just about everything else. His profound lack of discoursive honesty is evident in the way he has failed to acknowledge the faulty thinking I pointed out here. Instead, he's Gish galloping, piling other unsubstantiated claims on top of his already festering pile of BS.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#424  Postby Acetone » Jul 30, 2014 2:08 am

Varangian wrote:Also, taking Russian, separatist and conspiracy theorist claims at face value, while questioning just about everything else.

I wonder how conspiracy theorists argue amongst themselves?

No everything YOU'VE presented is probably made up! My source is good!

Meanwhile one of the sources is: 'totallylegittruthserumdownwithamericalies.com' and the other is 'whitehouselies.com/everythingonthispageis100%thetruth'

Yeah.
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#425  Postby magikrooster » Jul 30, 2014 3:14 am

Acetone wrote:I still want a source for that interview...

I find it a bit disappointing that the only thing you can continuously harp on is that what is released thus far is 'unverifiable' or doctored etc etc., even after I point it out... Have you nothing better?

Only because it's true. But we could easily get something from the US government, rather than unverifiable stuff from social media. they have the information. Even former intelligence officers in America are asking their government to come clean.
And they are specifically asking them not to present or rely on "social media" reports, which they call "flimsy.". Yet this is the evidence you appear to wish to rely on.
MEMORANDUM FOR: The President

FROM: Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity (VIPS)

SUBJECT: Intelligence on Shoot-Down of Malaysian Plane

Executive Summary

U.S.–Russian intensions are building in a precarious way over Ukraine, and we are far from certain that your advisers fully appreciate the danger of escalation. The New York Times and other media outlets are treating sensitive issues in dispute as flat-fact, taking their cue from U.S. government sources.

Twelve days after the shoot-down of Malaysian Airlines Flight 17, your administration still has issued no coordinated intelligence assessment summarizing what evidence exists to determine who was responsible – much less to convincingly support repeated claims that the plane was downed by a Russian-supplied missile in the hands of Ukrainian separatists.
Your administration has not provided any satellite imagery showing that the separatists had such weaponry, and there are several other “dogs that have not barked.” Washington’s credibility, and your own, will continue to erode, should you be unwilling – or unable – to present more tangible evidence behind administration claims. In what follows, we put this in the perspective of former intelligence professionals with a cumulative total of 260 years in various parts of U.S. intelligence:

We, the undersigned former intelligence officers want to share with you our concern about the evidence adduced so far to blame Russia for the July 17 downing of Malaysian Airlines Flight 17. We are retired from government service and none of us is on the payroll of CNN, Fox News, or any other outlet. We intend this memorandum to provide a fresh, different perspective.

As veteran intelligence analysts accustomed to waiting, except in emergency circumstances, for conclusive information before rushing to judgment, we believe that the charges against Russia should be rooted in solid, far more convincing evidence. And that goes in spades with respect to inflammatory incidents like the shoot-down of an airliner. We are also troubled by the amateurish manner in which fuzzy and flimsy evidence has been served up – some of it via “social media.

http://consortiumnews.com/2014/07/29/ob ... -evidence/
magikrooster

Name: m
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#426  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 30, 2014 5:39 am

You call that evidence... :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#427  Postby Loren Michael » Jul 30, 2014 5:49 am

Consortium News, Natural News, CounterPunch are a news bubble just like Fox News, National Review, and Red State are a news bubble.

The former is for this school of thought:

Loren Michael

Name: Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#428  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 30, 2014 5:57 am

In other words pure propaganda.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#429  Postby Loren Michael » Jul 30, 2014 6:00 am

Like, even absent evidence, the most likely scenario is that the Russians gave serious hardware to some relatively untrained randoms who started indiscriminately shooting down airplanes over a series of days until they managed to hit an airliner.

Evidence on top of that reasonable baseline assumption is that the rebels were bragging about shooting down planes beforehand, and then started claiming that they didn't have the capabilities of shooting stuff down after this plane. There's also that interview that I posted, there's the fact that the Rebels don't have an air force (and as such Ukraine wouldn't be inclined to be aggressively deploying those capabilities in the first place, much less shooting down random planes that were passing over it).
Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#430  Postby Loren Michael » Jul 30, 2014 6:01 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:In other words pure propaganda.

Propaganda for the people scared of the amorphous "they".
Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#431  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 30, 2014 6:02 am

:thumbup:

Sums it up nicely.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#432  Postby Acetone » Jul 30, 2014 6:38 am

magikrooster wrote:
Acetone wrote:I still want a source for that interview...

More rubbish that is not a source for the interview translation posted.

Italics mine...
Common conspiracy theory tactic you're using though.

What about this!?! What about THIS!?!?! WHAT ABOUT THIS!!!!

Did you post the source and I've missed it or something?
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#433  Postby magikrooster » Jul 30, 2014 8:31 am

Loren Michael wrote:Like, even absent evidence, the most likely scenario is that the Russians gave serious hardware to some relatively untrained randoms who started indiscriminately shooting down airplanes over a series of days until they managed to hit an airliner.
The Americans have pretty much said that did not happen They said they have no evidence of Russian involvement.
They have also said they know where the rocket was fired from. Though they are refusing to say. :coffee:
magikrooster

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#434  Postby magikrooster » Jul 30, 2014 8:36 am

So what evidence is there the separatists did it.
1. A fake youtube video put out by Ukranian intel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbyZYgSXdyw
2. A fake confession from Alexander Khodakovskiy
3. Photos of the wrong BUK.
4. Some photos and videos that possibly show a BUK in separatist held territory though whether it was before the split we dont know.

Anything else to add?
magikrooster

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#435  Postby Varangian » Jul 30, 2014 9:07 am

Yes.

5. Magikrooster trusts no government - except the Russian government when it is on collision course with USA and EU.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#436  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 30, 2014 9:29 am

magikrooster wrote:So what evidence is there the separatists did it.
1. A fake youtube video put out by Ukranian intel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbyZYgSXdyw
2. A fake confession from Alexander Khodakovskiy
3. Photos of the wrong BUK.
4. Some photos and videos that possibly show a BUK in separatist held territory though whether it was before the split we dont know.

Anything else to add?

It all sounds so familiar. Conspirators always use the same methods. Never changes. :lol:

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#437  Postby Loren Michael » Jul 30, 2014 9:45 am

magikrooster wrote:
Loren Michael wrote:Like, even absent evidence, the most likely scenario is that the Russians gave serious hardware to some relatively untrained randoms who started indiscriminately shooting down airplanes over a series of days until they managed to hit an airliner.
The Americans have pretty much said that did not happen They said they have no evidence of Russian involvement.
They have also said they know where the rocket was fired from. Though they are refusing to say. :coffee:

The Americans have done nothing but add weight to that scenario that I described:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/us-prese ... ne-crash-0

The plane was likely shot down by an SA-11 surface-to-air missile fired by Russian-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine, the intelligence officials said, citing intercepts, satellite photos and social media postings by separatists, some of which have been authenticated by U.S. experts.

But the officials said they did not know who fired the missile or whether any Russian operatives were present at the missile launch. They were not certain that the missile crew was trained in Russia, although they described a stepped-up campaign in recent weeks by Russia to arm and train the rebels, which they say has continued even after the downing of the commercial jetliner.

In terms of who fired the missile, "we don't know a name, we don't know a rank and we're not even 100 percent sure of a nationality," one official said, adding at another point, "There is not going to be a Perry Mason moment here."

White House deputy national security adviser Ben Rhodes said the U.S. was still working to determine whether the missile launch had a "direct link" to Russia, including whether there were Russians on the ground during the attack and the degree to which Russians may have trained the separatists to launch such a strike.

"We do think President Putin and the Russian government bears responsibility for the support they provided to these separatists, the arms they provided to these separatists, the training they provided as well and the general unstable environment in eastern Ukraine," Rhodes said in an interview with CNN.

He added that heavy weaponry continues to flow into Ukraine from Russia following the downing of the plane.

The intelligence officials said the most likely explanation for the downing was that the rebels made a mistake. Separatists previously had shot down 12 Ukrainian military airplanes, the officials said.

And also:

Despite the fuzziness of some details, however, the intelligence officials said the case that the separatists were responsible for shooting down the plane was solid. Other scenarios — such as that the Ukrainian military shot down the plane — are implausible, they said. No Ukrainian surface-to-air missile system was in range.
Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#438  Postby Loren Michael » Jul 30, 2014 9:47 am

Varangian wrote:Yes.

5. Magikrooster trusts no government - except the Russian government when it is on collision course with USA and EU.

Yeah, that's why I'm thinking this is some weird anti-occidental stuff. Fringes of fringes are hard to grok.
Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#439  Postby Cthulhu's Trilby » Jul 30, 2014 10:42 am

Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity (VIPS)

They sacrificed a name that makes sense for an acronym making them seem important. Clearly a force to be reckoned with.
Cthulhu's Trilby

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#440  Postby Varangian » Jul 30, 2014 1:03 pm

If this was intended by heinous US agencies to be some sort of casus belli, why was there only one US citizen on the flight? Surely a plane full of Americans would've sparked an outrage in the US, and support for more involvement? Unless it was part of the plot... Killing too many Americans would be too obvious... Damn, those black flag operators are cunning as hell!

Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs