Netherlands approves plans for face-covering veil ban

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Netherlands approves plans for face-covering veil ban

#201  Postby Peter Brown » May 27, 2015 9:13 am

Actually quite a lot of benefit fraud is shown in the BBC media shows about it, I've sometimes watched them, and the criminal who has multiple benefit accounts with dozens of fake passports. Or a family, where one stays to do the claiming for the others who return to live in the cheaper to live homeland. It is certainly an organised criminal set up.

It was usually men who were in these TV shows but if they are moving to benefit fraud using the burka as a tool to evade capture, which is logical to the criminal mind, then I guess the government has every right to crush fraud any way they like. Civil rights don’t exist when governments are combating organised crime. It even stops being a religious issue, its a crime prevention one trumping everything.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#202  Postby mrjonno » May 27, 2015 11:05 am

If an American actually met someone in a burqa (which I suspect is somewhat rare in Texas) they wouldn't have a debate about the rights and wrong of it instead they would simply shoot them as a terrorist (if they wear a burqa they could be hiding the fact they are black which is even worse)
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#203  Postby Acetone » May 27, 2015 1:41 pm

mrjonno wrote:If an American actually met someone in a burqa (which I suspect is somewhat rare in Texas) they wouldn't have a debate about the rights and wrong of it instead they would simply shoot them as a terrorist (if they wear a burqa they could be hiding the fact they are black which is even worse)

Yes, that's exactly what would happen.
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#204  Postby ED209 » May 27, 2015 1:54 pm

Not if they shot first:

It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#205  Postby Acetone » May 27, 2015 2:18 pm

ED209 wrote:Not if they shot first:

That's exactly what will happen too. Ole' fashioned Texas shootout.
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#206  Postby willhud9 » May 27, 2015 2:48 pm

mrjonno wrote:If an American actually met someone in a burqa (which I suspect is somewhat rare in Texas) they wouldn't have a debate about the rights and wrong of it instead they would simply shoot them as a terrorist (if they wear a burqa they could be hiding the fact they are black which is even worse)

In Texas there are roughly 1,678 Muslims per 100,000 people. With a population of roughly 26.96 million people (a population exceeding the Netherlands) that would roughly mean 450,000~ people are Muslims.

Now the Netherlands probably have a greater percentage of Muslims than Texas, but do not make the idiotic generalization that a Muslim that is dressed in what is considered Islamic garb would be shot or even discriminated against as a terrorist.

Texas is a huge state land mass wise. The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, and France can all fit nice and comfortably within the land mass of Texas. It has a diverse population of blacks, Hispanics, and whites and believe it or not is not one massive red state. Plenty of democrats and liberals reside in Texas.

So when you make statements like this joking or not, you not only show your Eurocentric blindness, but also your ignorance about America.

Yes there is discrimination against Islamic peoples in America (as there is discrimination against most non-hispanic whites), but no it is not up and shoot 'em discrimination.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#207  Postby mrjonno » May 27, 2015 3:12 pm

I doubt many people in Texas will have seen a burqa , I also doubt many in rural England will have either. New York would be a very different matter.

Where I live Birmingham UK where its roughly 20-25% Muslim I see maybe 2-3 per day which isn't particularly common as most Muslims don't wear them. It's very ugly but if its on the street no really any of my business, public services and private business is a different matter
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#208  Postby Acetone » May 27, 2015 3:15 pm

mrjonno wrote:I doubt many people in Texas will have seen a burqa , I also doubt many in rural England will have either. New York would be a very different matter.

Where I live Birmingham UK where its roughly 20-25% Muslim I see maybe 2-3 per day which isn't particularly common as most Muslims don't wear them. It's very ugly but if its on the street no really any of my business, public services and private business is a different matter

Of course since they haven't seen it before the first time they encounter it they'll shoot it.
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#209  Postby willhud9 » May 27, 2015 3:22 pm

mrjonno wrote:I doubt many people in Texas will have seen a burqa , I also doubt many in rural England will have either. New York would be a very different matter.

Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and Austin Texas are some of the largest Metropolitan areas in the country. Texas is not just a rural state.

I am not from Texas, but here in Richmond, if I actually go into the city I will most likely see the hijab over the burqa, BUT I have seen the burqa often enough that it is not out of the ordinary. And that is in a city with significantly less people than the big cities of Texas.

Your generalizations fall flat.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#210  Postby HughMcB » May 27, 2015 6:39 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:This is where things went slightly OT when certain posters tried to make out how soft and fuzzy muslims are and wearing veils was the women's choice.

I don't know if anyone claimed that they were always soft and fuzzy or that it was always a woman's choice, however you can't make a blanket statement to the opposite either. Most likely it's somewhere in between.
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#211  Postby Seabass » May 27, 2015 6:55 pm

Ratskep's Law: If a Ratskep discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later it will turn into an America bashing thread.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#212  Postby Peter Brown » May 27, 2015 7:34 pm

willhud9 wrote:In Texas there are roughly 1,678 Muslims per 100,000 people. With a population of roughly 26.96 million people (a population exceeding the Netherlands) that would roughly mean 450,000~ people are Muslims.

using Muslim-maths that would make them the fastest growing Texan population in the world
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#213  Postby Teague » May 28, 2015 4:47 pm

Did anyone raise the point where this might push these people further away from society. If a woman has to wear one going out, is she now forced to walk 5 miles because she can't take the bus anymore?

I'm dead against the ninja costume as it is obviously another sexist thing that only women have to wear. Actually, the garment is fucking evil. I'm willing to bet that there are some women forced to wear it and will now suffer because of it. They may not be allowed out the house at all, or like I said, forced to walk places - maybe they'll even have to spend more time with the shitty husbands?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#214  Postby Strontium Dog » May 29, 2015 1:54 pm

Teague wrote:Did anyone raise the point where this might push these people further away from society.

That's exactly what supporters of the ban want. Their contempt for people who are different from them is glaring.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#215  Postby Alan B » May 29, 2015 6:03 pm

I feel uncomfortable walking down the street being peered at through a slit or an eye covering with holes when I can't see the rest of their face. I somehow cannot place them in a 'human interaction' context - however brief. I know I should, and I want to, but it is difficult without the rest of the face to interact with.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#216  Postby The_Metatron » May 29, 2015 6:08 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
Teague wrote:Did anyone raise the point where this might push these people further away from society.

That's exactly what supporters of the ban want. Their contempt for people who are different from them is glaring.

I'm pretty tired of your shit. You don't know what the blue fuck all supporters of this ban want.

Contempt? Mine isn't for women who wear veils, I can assure you.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#217  Postby Darwinsbulldog » May 30, 2015 9:00 am

Teague wrote:Did anyone raise the point where this might push these people further away from society. If a woman has to wear one going out, is she now forced to walk 5 miles because she can't take the bus anymore?

I'm dead against the ninja costume as it is obviously another sexist thing that only women have to wear. Actually, the garment is fucking evil. I'm willing to bet that there are some women forced to wear it and will now suffer because of it. They may not be allowed out the house at all, or like I said, forced to walk places - maybe they'll even have to spend more time with the shitty husbands?

All she needs to do is report it. Imprisonment is illegal. Just chuck the male in jail for 40 years breaking rocks. Problem solved.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#218  Postby Alan B » May 30, 2015 9:43 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:All she needs to do is report it. Imprisonment is illegal. Just chuck the male in jail for 40 years breaking rocks. Problem solved.

Easier said than done. If he is the only 'bread-winner', then she and her children will have to be supported by the state. His imprisonment could make her (and her children) destitute.
She could therefore be 'punished' by the state for exercising her legal right not to wear a veil.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#219  Postby Nicko » May 30, 2015 10:28 am

Alan B wrote:
Darwinsbulldog wrote:All she needs to do is report it. Imprisonment is illegal. Just chuck the male in jail for 40 years breaking rocks. Problem solved.

Easier said than done. If he is the only 'bread-winner', then she and her children will have to be supported by the state. His imprisonment could make her (and her children) destitute.
She could therefore be 'punished' by the state for exercising her legal right not to wear a veil.

How would this equate to "punishment"?

It's certainly an adverse consequence of an abusive person being imprisoned that their dependents will be deprived of any support they provided when free. This has long been recognised as one of the main reasons a woman - muslim or no - might not report IPV.

But it's not "punishment" unless one considers the poverty of all unemployed persons to be "punishment". It's an unfortunate situation that any responsible state will take steps to counter. Supporting the woman and her children to begin with, providing training, help finding a job, and so on. Nothing more or less than I would expect the state to do for anyone.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#220  Postby Nicko » May 30, 2015 10:39 am

Alan B wrote:I feel uncomfortable walking down the street being peered at through a slit or an eye covering with holes when I can't see the rest of their face. I somehow cannot place them in a 'human interaction' context - however brief. I know I should, and I want to, but it is difficult without the rest of the face to interact with.

Well, it's nice that your realise that it's your problem to deal with.

Here's a thought though. What level of "human interaction" does passing a stranger in the street normally involve that a niqab or burkha would impede?

I've always operated under the assumption that women walking around wearing Islamic face coverings were probably uninterested in striking up a conversation with me. So far, I appear to have been right every time.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs