New Hindu temple opens in Wembley

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: New Hindu temple opens in Wembley

#21  Postby Paul G » May 31, 2010 4:19 pm

iamthereforeithink wrote:Well, one difference between a hindu temple and a muslim mosque is that one wouldn't usually think of going to a mosque to just hang around, take pictures, or sit around and have a snack. Mosques usually have an intimidating "business only, no messing around" air about them, and you're likely to invite glances ranging from curiously distant to overtly hostile. Just speaking from personal experience.

I've been to a mosque to just hang around, shoes off, ladies with a scalf over their head which they gave to you.
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#22  Postby kiki5711 » May 31, 2010 6:36 pm

they gave you a ladies scarf? :ask: :ask: :shifty:
kiki5711

Print view this post

#23  Postby mrjonno » May 31, 2010 6:49 pm

I've been to the blue Mosque in Istanbul very beautiful its a big tourist draw (for non religious people)
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Regina » May 31, 2010 6:54 pm

kiki5711 wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:
kiki5711 wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:Looks like a sand castle. I wonder how many of the people protesting the new mosque were protesting when this was in the planning stage?

This is a Hindu temple not muslim mosque..

And? It's still a large religious building to which you can apply pretty much all of the anti-mosque arguments to (except the noise from calls to prayer).

Hindus do not have a history of exploding themselves to promote their religion.

Very true. They largely confine themselves to killing their Muslim neighbours and have this lovable, if slightly quaint caste system, which unfortunately frowns on marriages and relationships between partners of different castes. But hey, we don't call the ensuing murders honour killings, so they can't be so bad, no?
Last edited by Regina on May 31, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Ilovelucy » May 31, 2010 7:02 pm

kiki5711 wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:
kiki5711 wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:Looks like a sand castle. I wonder how many of the people protesting the new mosque were protesting when this was in the planning stage?

This is a Hindu temple not muslim mosque..

And? It's still a large religious building to which you can apply pretty much all of the anti-mosque arguments to (except the noise from calls to prayer).

Hindus do not have a history of exploding themselves to promote their religion.

I don't think anyone blows themselves up to "promote their religion", but you appear to be unaware with the Tamil Tigers, who are mostly Hindu and invented the suicide jacket. Not that this has anything to do with whether I would visit one of their beautiful temples, as the many atrocities of the Catholic Church wouldn't keep me from visiting the Sistine Chapel.
Ilovelucy

Name: Not Lucy
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#26  Postby kiki5711 » May 31, 2010 10:15 pm

Can't take a beating can you? Let's stick to the architecture of the buildings, shall we?
kiki5711

Print view this post

#27  Postby Ilovelucy » May 31, 2010 10:19 pm

kiki5711 wrote:Can't take a beating can you? Let's stick to the architecture of the buildings, shall we?

:what: I wasn't the one that made inaccurate observations about Hindu culture. But yes, the buildings are lovely.
Ilovelucy

Name: Not Lucy
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs