New Hindu temple opens in Wembley

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

New Hindu temple opens in Wembley

#1  Postby Aern Rakesh » May 31, 2010 12:16 pm

Video report: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/10196332.stm

BBC News wrote:It has taken 14 years to build and has cost around £16m. Now, a new and dramatic addition to the London skyline has finally been finished.

The Shree Sanatan Mandir Hindu temple in Wembley has been built using methods that date back thousands of years.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: New Hindu temple opens in Wembley

#2  Postby kiki5711 » May 31, 2010 12:21 pm

There's one in my neighborhood. It didn't take them 14 yrs to build though. More like 3. I saw it being built from ground up. I have yet to take a tour. It has different color lights that make it even more beautiful.
kiki5711

Print view this post

#3  Postby Paul G » May 31, 2010 2:00 pm

I might be visiting with a few Hindu chums. I'll just stand at the back and watch.
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4  Postby I'm With Stupid » May 31, 2010 2:02 pm

Looks like a sand castle. I wonder how many of the people protesting the new mosque were protesting when this was in the planning stage?
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#5  Postby kiki5711 » May 31, 2010 2:07 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:Looks like a sand castle. I wonder how many of the people protesting the new mosque were protesting when this was in the planning stage?

This is a Hindu temple not muslim mosque..
kiki5711

Print view this post

#6  Postby Aern Rakesh » May 31, 2010 2:12 pm

The Husseini mosque in nearby Northolt...

Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby I'm With Stupid » May 31, 2010 2:15 pm

kiki5711 wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:Looks like a sand castle. I wonder how many of the people protesting the new mosque were protesting when this was in the planning stage?

And? It's still a large religious building to which you can apply pretty much all of the anti-mosque arguments to (except the noise from calls to prayer). But I doubt anyone did, because Hindus aren't the current bogeymen.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#8  Postby kiki5711 » May 31, 2010 2:16 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:
kiki5711 wrote:

And? It's still a large religious building to which you can apply pretty much all of the anti-mosque arguments to (except the noise from calls to prayer).

Hindus do not have a history of exploding themselves to promote their religion.
kiki5711

Print view this post

#9  Postby Paul G » May 31, 2010 2:16 pm

Nora_Leonard wrote:The Husseini mosque in nearby Northolt...

Where is it? I've never heard of it and it can't be more than 3 miles way!
Paul G

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#10  Postby kiki5711 » May 31, 2010 2:25 pm

this is the one in my neighborhood.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_Ea5edrdQ4[/youtube]
kiki5711

Print view this post

#11  Postby I'm With Stupid » May 31, 2010 2:27 pm

kiki5711 wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:
kiki5711 wrote:

And? It's still a large religious building to which you can apply pretty much all of the anti-mosque arguments to (except the noise from calls to prayer).

And that's relevant why? They're applying for permission to build a mosque, not a bomb factory.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#12  Postby kiki5711 » May 31, 2010 2:33 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:
kiki5711 wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:
kiki5711 wrote:

And that's relevant why? They're applying for permission to build a mosque, not a bomb factory.

ohhh pleazzzzz, take to another thread!! it's tiring reading this babble! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
kiki5711

Print view this post

#13  Postby Aern Rakesh » May 31, 2010 2:33 pm

Paul G wrote:

I know, Paul, many people don't know about it. Many Muslims don't know about it! I kept telling some Muslim friends about it and they denied it's existence; they just didn't know about it because it isn't mainstream Sunni Islam.

It's right near the canal, Rowdell Road, Northolt, UB5 6AG. It's the largest mosque in Europe belonging to the Dawoodi Bohra Shi'ite sect.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby I'm With Stupid » May 31, 2010 2:40 pm

kiki5711 wrote:ohhh pleazzzzz, take to another thread!! it's tiring reading this babble! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

If you can't defend your prejudices, don't spout them in public. ;)
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#15  Postby iamthereforeithink » May 31, 2010 2:52 pm

Well, one difference between a hindu temple and a muslim mosque is that one wouldn't usually think of going to a mosque to just hang around, take pictures, or sit around and have a snack. Mosques usually have an intimidating "business only, no messing around" air about them, and you're likely to invite glances ranging from curiously distant to overtly hostile. Just speaking from personal experience.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
iamthereforeithink

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Aern Rakesh » May 31, 2010 3:05 pm

iamthereforeithink wrote:Well, one difference between a hindu temple and a muslim mosque is that one wouldn't usually think of going to a mosque to just hang around, take pictures, or sit around and have a snack. Mosques usually have an intimidating "business only, no messing around" air about them, and you're likely to invite glances ranging from curiously distant to overtly hostile. Just speaking from personal experience.

Maybe it is when you go there. I've been to Regents' Park Mosque for an education event and they couldn't have been more welcoming. Ditto the time I went to a mosque in West Ealing for an exhibition.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby theye1 » May 31, 2010 3:16 pm

Nora_Leonard wrote:
Paul G wrote:

I know, Paul, many people don't know about it. Many Muslims don't know about it! I kept telling some Muslim friends about it and they denied it's existence; they just didn't know about it because it isn't mainstream Sunni Islam.

It's right near the canal, Rowdell Road, Northolt, UB5 6AG. It's the largest mosque in Europe belonging to the Dawoodi Bohra Shi'ite sect.

Dawoodi Bohra aren't a Sect, but rather a school of thought in Ismailism, a branch of Shi'ite Islam. To be honest, I am surprised that there are enough of them in Europe to have any mosques or that they could afford it.
“An American monkey, after getting drunk on brandy, would never touch it again, and thus is much wiser than most men.”
― Charles Darwin
theye1

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Aern Rakesh » May 31, 2010 3:24 pm

theye1 wrote:
Nora_Leonard wrote:
Paul G wrote:

Dawoodi Bohra aren't a Sect, but rather a school of thought in Ismailism, a branch of Shi'ite Islam. To be honest, I am surprised that there are enough of them in Europe to have any mosques or that they could afford it.

Sorry, even as I wrote the word I was thinking that 'sect' wasn't what I meant. There are quite a few Dawoodi Bohra teachers in my local authority.

wikipedia wrote: Dawoodi Bohras believe that the education of women is equally important to that of men, and many Dawoodi Bohra women choose to enter the workforce. Al Jamea tus Saifiyah "The Arabic Academy" in Surat and Karachi is a sign to the educational importance in the Dawoodi Bohra community. The Academy has an advanced curriculum which encompasses religious and secular education for both men and women.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby theye1 » May 31, 2010 3:44 pm

kiki5711 wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:
kiki5711 wrote:

That's not exactly true. Hindu Extremism is alive and well in India, it doesn't get the same press coverage but it exists.

Sorry, even as I wrote the word I was thinking that 'sect' wasn't what I meant.

Technically, I was was wrong. It's school of thought for the Mustaali, a subsect of Ismailism. They accept al-Mustali as the rightful 19th Caliph of the Fatimid Caliph. Fun fact, the Alavi Bohra are a splinter group from the Dawoodi Bohras. They don't accept the Syedna Sheikh Aadam Safiuddin, the 29th Imam, as a legitimate figure.

Don't even mention the Sufis, I am unsure if they even know how their system works.
“An American monkey, after getting drunk on brandy, would never touch it again, and thus is much wiser than most men.”
― Charles Darwin
theye1

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Paul G » May 31, 2010 4:17 pm

Nora_Leonard wrote:
Paul G wrote:

:lol:

I must have driven past it a hundred times, although when I zoom in it seems to be hidden behind a row of houses. One of my wayward shots from the driving range has no doubt landed in their carpark.
Paul G

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs