No certainty terror offenders can be 'cured'

What's your idea how to put them right then?

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: No certainty terror offenders can be 'cured'

#21  Postby Hermit » Jan 02, 2020 5:15 pm

CarlPierce wrote:Professor Duff’s team had concerned themselves fundamentally with a statistical analysis of the problem as a whole, in tandem with and related to a psychochemical and behavioural analysis of over a thousand individual radical muslims:

“And we came to the inevitable conclusion that the one course of action the authorities must take is… To cut off their goolies. Cut their goolies off!”

Citation needed.

Oh, found it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04clpd7h0b0
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#22  Postby aufbahrung » Jan 02, 2020 5:26 pm

History shows people are more prone to extremes than moderate behaviour. Given enough time any crowd can go mad, chess players go mad all the time. The question remains what to do when a third of the worlds population is on a mad world conquest binge and a third in denial that it's really happening?
“Ne vous mêlez pas du pain”
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Hermit » Jan 02, 2020 5:38 pm

aufbahrung wrote:History shows people are more prone to extremes than moderate behaviour.

You must be living in an interesting neighbourhood at an interesting time. In my area, a small town with a population of around 24,000 people, maybe one or two individuals engage in extreme behaviour, and when they do it's usually only for a very brief period. Everyone else is preoccupied with earning a crust, talking about the weather, watching TV, getting exasperated about their kids' unwillingness to do their homework, doing the shopping, having sex or engaging in any other of thousands of ordinary activities that can be best described as ordinary behaviour.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#24  Postby Rumraket » Jan 02, 2020 5:47 pm

aufbahrung wrote:History shows people are more prone to extremes than moderate behaviour.

Uhh no. At no point in history was the majority of the world's population extremists. It actually takes a lot to turn people into extremists.

Given enough time any crowd can go mad, chess players go mad all the time.

What does it mean to say that they "go mad"?

The question remains what to do when a third of the worlds population is on a mad world conquest binge and a third in denial that it's really happening?

No, that isn't the question, because that actually isn't happening.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#25  Postby GrahamH » Jan 02, 2020 6:13 pm

Rumraket wrote:
The african american population in the US has seen unbelievable historical injustices, and yet they generally don't have a terrorist problem. It would be silly to deny that islam is a factor that explains some of the attributes of islamic terrorist organizations. It should be possible for rational individuals to recognize this, and state as much, and yet also understand that it isn't the sole or only contributing cause of terrorism.

An interesting point. In South Africa it took violent action to bring about change. They "had a terrorist problem".

In the USA there was the Black Panthers and Black Liberation Army.
Domestic terrorism is at least as big an issue as Islamic terrorism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_ ... ted_States
https://www.politifact.com/california/a ... il-right-/
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#26  Postby Fallible » Jan 02, 2020 6:27 pm

aufbahrung wrote:History shows people are more prone to extremes than moderate behaviour. Given enough time any crowd can go mad, chess players go mad all the time. The question remains what to do when a third of the worlds population is on a mad world conquest binge and a third in denial that it's really happening?

Lol! Bless you, my child.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 02, 2020 6:33 pm

aufbahrung wrote:History shows people are more prone to extremes than moderate behaviour. Given enough time any crowd can go mad, chess players go mad all the time. The question remains what to do when a third of the worlds population is on a mad world conquest binge and a third in denial that it's really happening?

No, no, no, and that's delusional right-wing bollocks.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Birthday
Print view this post

#28  Postby campermon » Jan 02, 2020 6:37 pm

aufbahrung wrote:The question remains what to do when a third of the worlds population is on a mad world conquest binge and a third in denial that it's really happening?

I take it that you're talking about China here?

:coffee:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Rumraket » Jan 02, 2020 7:12 pm

GrahamH wrote:
Rumraket wrote:
The african american population in the US has seen unbelievable historical injustices, and yet they generally don't have a terrorist problem. It would be silly to deny that islam is a factor that explains some of the attributes of islamic terrorist organizations. It should be possible for rational individuals to recognize this, and state as much, and yet also understand that it isn't the sole or only contributing cause of terrorism.

An interesting point. In South Africa it took violent action to bring about change. They "had a terrorist problem".

One man's terrorist is another man's "freedom fighter" as they say. But it's not always that simple.

There's a very big difference between violently resisting an oppresive regime by attacking or violently resisting it's instruments of oppression (police and military forces), and running into a crowded night club and machinegunning down 200 random civilians.
Rumraket

Print view this post

#30  Postby GrahamH » Jan 02, 2020 7:18 pm

Rumraket wrote:But it's not always that simple.

Indeed, it is rarely simple.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#31  Postby aufbahrung » Jan 03, 2020 8:55 am

In a war situation that involved a terror nation perhaps internment of suspects or known knowns for the duration of the war might be the lesser evil. All rotten eggs in one basket?
aufbahrung

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby campermon » Jan 03, 2020 8:59 am

aufbahrung wrote:In a war situation that involved a terror nation perhaps internment of suspects or known knowns for the duration of the war might be the lesser evil. All rotten eggs in one basket?

"...because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know."

:thumbup:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Rumraket » Jan 03, 2020 11:57 am

aufbahrung wrote:In a war situation that involved a terror nation perhaps internment of suspects or known knowns for the duration of the war might be the lesser evil. All rotten eggs in one basket?

Perhaps not. Perhaps throwing people in jail without a crime being committed, and that being proved in a court of law, other people might find that they don't trust the system, and become motivated to fight it too?
Rumraket

Print view this post

#34  Postby campermon » Jan 03, 2020 12:05 pm

Rumraket wrote:

Perhaps not. Perhaps throwing people in jail without a crime being committed, and that being proved in a court of law, other people might find that they don't trust the system, and become motivated to fight it too?

Aye. Didn't work in NI back in the 70s:

"...A serving officer of the British Royal Marines declared:

It (internment) has, in fact, increased terrorist activity, perhaps boosted IRA recruitment, polarised further the Catholic and Protestant communities and reduced the ranks of the much needed Catholic moderates.[21]

In terms of loss of life as well as number of attacks, 1972 was the most violent year of the Troubles. The fatal march on Bloody Sunday (30 January 1972) in Derry, when 14 unarmed civil rights protesters were shot dead by British paratroopers, was an anti-internment march. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Demetrius#Long-term_effects
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#35  Postby NineBerry » Jan 03, 2020 4:00 pm

"Cured bacon"? Is there any other kind?
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#36  Postby campermon » Jan 03, 2020 4:06 pm

NineBerry wrote:"Cured bacon"? Is there any other kind?

We have no certainty.

:grin:
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#37  Postby aufbahrung » Jan 03, 2020 4:21 pm

The trouble with Northern Ireland is internment wasn't done as it should. If people are shipped out to a internment facility it should remain a black box not a propoganda coup for the enemy like camp Xray or the H-blocks. Far enough away that only rumours of the cruelty reach the enemy, enough to generate fear and not enough to generate anger, a balance between good cop and bad cop in the situation if you want.
aufbahrung

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 03, 2020 4:23 pm

The forum expert on how to tyrannically imprison parts of your populace along ethno-religious lines in hypothetical wars.

You should put this expertise on your C.V.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Birthday
Print view this post

#39  Postby aufbahrung » Jan 03, 2020 5:54 pm

Spearthrower wrote:The forum expert on how to tyrannically imprison parts of your populace along ethno-religious lines in hypothetical wars.

You should put this expertise on your C.V.

There's a lot like me. The silent majority even. All it needs is a few weeks food shortages to bring them to bloom. I consider myself as one of the first drops of a new reign. Might be, though, all I want to do is survive when they do come to bloom and the real me is quite good, would even help those with a innocent spiel...no matter their otherness or origin.

aufbahrung

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Rumraket » Jan 03, 2020 5:58 pm

aufbahrung wrote:The trouble with Northern Ireland is internment wasn't done as it should. If people are shipped out to a internment facility it should remain a black box not a propoganda coup for the enemy like camp Xray or the H-blocks. Far enough away that only rumours of the cruelty reach the enemy, enough to generate fear and not enough to generate anger, a balance between good cop and bad cop in the situation if you want.
what the f.png
what the f.png (34.73 KiB) Viewed 641 times
Rumraket

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs