Obama declares airstrikes on ISIS.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Obama declares airstrikes on ISIS.

#121  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Aug 26, 2014 1:14 pm

Galaxian, do you have an alert on your computer that goes off anytime anyone mentions a conspiracy theory?

Meanwhile, according to CNN Obama authorizes "reconaissance flights". What the hell have we been doing so far then, we don't know where IS is already? I am getting a feeling Obama's critics are right in this, we should be hitting IS much harder and quicker than we've done so far.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#122  Postby Cthulhu's Trilby » Aug 26, 2014 1:32 pm

Arjan Dirkse wrote:Meanwhile, according to CNN Obama authorizes "reconaissance flights". What the hell have we been doing so far then, we don't know where IS is already? I am getting a feeling Obama's critics are right in this, we should be hitting IS much harder and quicker than we've done so far.

I expect there was satellite and drone monitoring of the situation before. What this probably means is that Washington has the go-ahead from Damascus to fly in Syrian air-space. So now this can all be done visibly.
Cthulhu's Trilby

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#123  Postby whereami » Aug 26, 2014 3:03 pm

What happened to ye olde UN? Has everyone just given up on it?
whereami
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#124  Postby mrjonno » Aug 26, 2014 3:18 pm

whereami wrote:What happened to ye olde UN? Has everyone just given up on it?

Security council

Russia is busy invading Ukraine
China is busy making money
France is dropping an occasional bomb but its politicians are busy having affairs
US is busy trying to avoid another war even if it was a major factor in starting this one
UK is busy building its aircraft carriers and in another 10 years time we might have some aircraft on them to get involved

Other military forces

Israel : busy just blowing things up elsewhere
India and Pakistan : busy waiting to nuke each other
Iran : it's leadership is busy trying to win a Nobel peace prize
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#125  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Aug 26, 2014 3:50 pm

The UN has already done its bit by sternly condemning IS.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#126  Postby tuco » Aug 31, 2014 11:59 pm

What can the United States do against ISIS in Syria -- and could it work?

(CNN) -- If the United States is serious about thoroughly defeating ISIS, it must -- somehow, some way -- go through Syria.

But how? And in what way?

Those are the big questions now, as President Barack Obama weighs what to do inside the war-ravaged nation where ISIS leaders are based and where the Islamist terror group rose to prominence.

Obama ceded Thursday that "we don't have a strategy yet" for what to do about ISIS inside Syria, with a senior administration official adding that a decision is "a week or so" away.

[snip]

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/28/world ... index.html

---

Putin may have been right about Syria all along

Many cautioned against the earlier insistence of the Obama administration that Assad must go

What a difference a year makes. Around this time last year, the West was gearing up for military action against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, who was accused of carrying out chemical weapons attacks on his own people. That intervention never came to pass, not least because domestic public opinion in countries such as Britain and the US was opposed to further entanglements in the Middle East.

[snip]

The irony of the moment is tragic. But to some, it doesn’t come as much of a surprise. Many cautioned against the earlier insistence of the Obama administration (as well as other governments) that Assad must go, fearing what would take hold in the vacuum. One of those critics happened to be Russian President Vladimir Putin, who warned against US intervention in Syria in a New York Times op-ed last September.

He wrote: “A strike would increase violence and unleash a new wave of terrorism. It could undermine multilateral efforts to resolve the Iranian nuclear problem and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and further destabilise the Middle East and North Africa. It could throw the entire system of international law and order out of balance.”

[snip]

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 88838.html
tuco

Print view this post

#127  Postby Warren Dew » Sep 01, 2014 1:12 am

mrjonno wrote:Iran : it's leadership is busy trying to win a Nobel peace prize

By getting nuclear weapons?
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#128  Postby Varangian » Sep 01, 2014 7:26 am

Warren Dew wrote:
mrjonno wrote:Iran : it's leadership is busy trying to win a Nobel peace prize

By getting nuclear weapons?

"Give us the Peace Prize, or we'll nuke Oslo!"

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#129  Postby Made of Stars » Sep 01, 2014 1:16 pm

One of those critics happened to be Russian President Vladimir Putin, who warned against US intervention in Syria in a New York Times op-ed last September.

He wrote: “A strike would increase violence and unleash a new wave of terrorism. It could undermine multilateral efforts to resolve the Iranian nuclear problem and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and further destabilise the Middle East and North Africa. It could throw the entire system of international law and order out of balance.

Oh the irony... :roll:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#130  Postby Varangian » Sep 01, 2014 1:31 pm

Made of Stars wrote:
One of those critics happened to be Russian President Vladimir Putin, who warned against US intervention in Syria in a New York Times op-ed last September.

He wrote: “A strike would increase violence and unleash a new wave of terrorism. It could undermine multilateral efforts to resolve the Iranian nuclear problem and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and further destabilise the Middle East and North Africa. It could throw the entire system of international law and order out of balance.

Oh the irony... :roll:

Putin, meet kettle...

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#131  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Sep 02, 2014 6:55 pm

Second journalist was beheaded.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#132  Postby Voltage » Sep 02, 2014 11:05 pm

Arjan Dirkse wrote:Second journalist was beheaded.

The world becomes a scary place when there is a pacifist in the White House I have never see such a useless world leader who is ridiculed by illiterate terrorists....His citizens are being beheaded left and right and he's too much of a flower to bomb these animals.

Bush was 100x better than this hippie. I remember listening to the radio in 2008 of a conservative host saying history will be kind to Bush. I thought he was crazy but hes 100% right now that I think of it in 2014
Voltage
Banned User

Name: owen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#133  Postby tuco » Sep 02, 2014 11:22 pm

Why the US swaps prisoners but doesn't pay ransom - http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/d ... z3CCZYjJq7
tuco

Print view this post

#134  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Sep 02, 2014 11:59 pm

The region needs to step up. Let Jordan, Egypt, and Turkey sort Syria out, let the Iraqi Army and the Peshmerga fight the IS in Iraq with additional support from the US if needed. I hope that that what Obama is doing, getting a coalition together, but the "I don't have a strategy" blunder is unforgivable. He needs to come back from that hard.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#135  Postby Loren Michael » Sep 03, 2014 8:37 am

Voltage wrote:

The world becomes a scary place when there is a pacifist in the White House I have never see such a useless world leader who is ridiculed by illiterate terrorists....His citizens are being beheaded left and right and he's too much of a flower to bomb these animals.

Bush was 100x better than this hippie. I remember listening to the radio in 2008 of a conservative host saying history will be kind to Bush. I thought he was crazy but hes 100% right now that I think of it in 2014

Iraq is an unstable mess in large part because Bush was a fucking moron though

so like

holy shit you're so hilariously transparently wrong I'm just going to assume you're being facetious
Loren Michael

Name: Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#136  Postby Loren Michael » Sep 03, 2014 8:40 am

Voltage wrote:

also these journalists are being beheaded BECAUSE Obama is bombing these animals

so like

:crazy:
Loren Michael

Name: Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#137  Postby Mike_L » Sep 10, 2014 12:15 pm

Americans Fear ISIS Sleeper Cells in the U.S., Overwhelmingly Support Military Action

By Glenn Greenwald

Gallup, 2000: “A new Gallup poll conducted November 13-15, 2000 finds that nearly seven out of 10 Americans (69%) believe that sending troops to Vietnam was a mistake.”

Gallup, 2013: “Ten years have passed since the United States and its allies invaded Iraq, and it appears the majority of Americans consider this a regrettable anniversary. Fifty-three percent of Americans believe their country ‘made a mistake sending troops to fight in Iraq’ and 42% say it was not a mistake.”

Gallup, 2014: “For the first time since the U.S. initially became involved in Afghanistan in 2001, Americans are as likely to say U.S. military involvement there was a mistake as to say it was not.”

New York Times, today: “The Obama administration is preparing to carry out a campaign against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria that may take three years to complete, requiring a sustained effort that could last until after President Obama has left office, according to senior administration officials.”

CNN, today: “Americans are increasingly concerned that ISIS represents a direct terror threat, fearful that ISIS agents are living in the United States, according to a new CNN/ORC International poll. Most now support military action against the terrorist group.”

Although Americans favor military action against ISIS, today’s above-cited CNN poll finds that – at least of now – most do not want ground troops in Iraq or Syria (“61%-38%, oppose placing U.S. soldiers on the ground in Iraq and Syria to combat the terrorist group”). But almost every credible expert has said that airstrikes, without troops, is woefully inadequate to achieve any of the stated goals. Other than further inflaming anti-American sentiment in the region and strengthening ISIS, what possible purpose can such airstrikes have? The answer given by much of the U.S. media, as FAIR documented, seems clear: to “flex muscles” and show “toughness”:

What kind of country goes around bombing people with no strategic purpose and with little motive other than to “flex muscles” and “show toughness”? This answer also seems clear: one that is deeply insecure about its ongoing ability to project strength (and one whose elites benefit in terms of power and profit from endless war).

For those who favor air strikes: if, as most regional and military experts predict, it turns out that airstrikes are insufficient to seriously degrade ISIS, would you then favor a ground invasion? If you really believe that ISIS is a serious threat to the “homeland” and other weighty interests, how could you justify opposing anything needed to defeat them up to and including ground troops? And if you wouldn’t support that, isn’t that a compelling sign that you don’t really see them as the profound threat that one should have to see them as before advocating military action against them?

For those who keep running around beating their chests talking about the imperative to “destroy ISIS”: will that take more or less time than it’s taken to “destroy the Taliban”?

Does it ever occur to such flamboyant warriors to ask why those sorts of groups enjoy so much support, and whether yet more bombing of predominantly Muslim countries – and/or flooding the region with more weapons – will bolster rather than subvert their strength? Just consider how a one-day attack in the U.S., 13 years ago, united most of the American population around the country’s most extreme militarists and unleashed an orgy of collective violence that is still not close to ending. Why does anyone think that constantly bringing violence to that part of the world will have a different effect there?

Full article at:
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/09/08/lesson-americans-refuse-learn-war/
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#138  Postby Cthulhu's Trilby » Sep 10, 2014 12:27 pm

Surely the whole point is US airtsrikes backed up by Iraqi ground forces?
Cthulhu's Trilby

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#139  Postby Made of Stars » Sep 10, 2014 12:33 pm

Yes.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#140  Postby Mike_L » Sep 10, 2014 12:41 pm

Cthulhu's Trilby wrote:Surely the whole point is US airtsrikes backed up by Iraqi ground forces?

Perhaps Greenwald has overlooked this, or perhaps he doesn't believe that Iraqi "boots on the ground" will be stomping hard enough to make an impact on ISIS.
Furthermore, Greenwald doesn't seem to consider more immediate goals... such as how airstrikes may help to assist local forces (like the Kurdish Peshmerga) or threatened non-combatants (like the Yazidis).
Greenwald makes valid points, but I don't think he has viewed the situation from all possible angles.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs