Pope refused defrocking of convicted priest

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Pope refused defrocking of convicted priest

#1  Postby DoctorE » May 31, 2010 10:12 am

There is no end to the horrors from the oldest and largest paedophile ring in the world...
I'm saying the Christian dogma is a part of the sexual abuse... the priests rape children.. then go to their room and top of the experience by getting forgiveness from Jeebu$.. and some virgin Mary tit sucking.... Hooked on rape and forgiveness... face it.

The future Pope Benedict XVI refused to defrock an American priest who confessed to molesting numerous children and even served prison time for it, simply because the cleric wouldn’t agree to the discipline.

The case provides the latest evidence of how changes in church law under Pope John Paul II frustrated and hamstrung U.S. bishops struggling with an abuse crisis that would eventually explode.

Documents obtained by The Associated Press from court filings in the case of the late Rev. Alvin Campbell of Illinois show Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, following church law at the time, turned down a bishop’s plea to remove the priest for no other reason than the abuser’s refusal to go along with it.

“The petition in question cannot be admitted in as much as it lacks the request of Father Campbell himself,” Ratzinger wrote in a July 3, 1989, letter to Bishop Daniel Ryan of the Diocese of Springfield, Ill.

With the church still recovering from a notable departure of priests in the 1970s to marry, John Paul made it tougher to leave the priesthood after assuming the papacy in 1978, saying their vocation was a lifelong one. A consequence of that policy was that, as the priest sex abuse scandal arose in the U.S., bishops were no longer able to sidestep the lengthy church trial necessary for laicization.

Continues: http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/world/2 ... 91771.html
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Re: Pope refused defrocking of convicted priest

#2  Postby Dracena » May 31, 2010 12:44 pm

I would love to hear Tim O'Neill defend this one...
Dracena

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Wiðercora » May 31, 2010 1:07 pm

Isn't de-frocking just the freeing of the priest from his priestly vows?
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Arcanyn » Jun 01, 2010 7:09 am

Can you imagine this sort of thing happening in any other context:

Judge: "It has been clearly shown that the defendant brutally murdered Mr Smith with an iron pipe. The event was witnessed by over thirty onlookers, and the defendant has confessed to the crime. Standard sentence in this case is thirty years to life. However, the defendant has indicated that he does not wish to go to prison, and as such he is free to go."
Never ascribe to stupidity that which is the logical consequence of malice.
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Jakov » Jun 01, 2010 11:21 am

Even if he was defrocked it wouldn't be okay. The matter must be handled by the police, not the church.
Jakov

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby NineOneFour » Jun 01, 2010 11:23 am

Jakov wrote:Even if he was defrocked it wouldn't be okay. The matter must be handled by the police, not the church.

Agree. RICO the entire church.
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs