President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#15601  Postby The_Piper » Jan 20, 2019 9:17 pm

I doubt most of them will be expelled. Maybe the charming young man most of the video centered on will be, and that would be fine with me. He honestly might benefit from some intervention. We know what that school is made of now.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15602  Postby Alan B » Jan 20, 2019 9:19 pm

MAGA = Make America Gormless Again...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15603  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jan 20, 2019 9:23 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:The defense I'm hearing for those little pieces of shit is disheartening. Goodness knows that behaviour would never be tolerated towards a conservative protestor.

Can you imagine the reaction if it were a group of black teens surrounding, mocking and getting in the face of a MAGA hat wearing white guy.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15604  Postby OlivierK » Jan 20, 2019 9:26 pm

With the current ultra-divisive state of US politics, I'm sure there are hundreds of MAGA assholes who'd be happy to line up a future job opportunity for Smuggy McSmugface.

It would be fantastic if there were social consequences for antisocial behaviour, but that's not the reality on the ground in the US, where such behaviour isn't even a bar to being elected President.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#15605  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jan 20, 2019 9:27 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:
Rachel Bronwyn wrote:The defense I'm hearing for those little pieces of shit is disheartening. Goodness knows that behaviour would never be tolerated towards a conservative protestor.

Can you imagine the reaction if it were a group of black teens surrounding, mocking and getting in the face of a MAGA hat wearing white guy.

white guy pulls out gun and stands his ground?

it is a good reminder of what happens when you are too welcoming to (illegal) immigrants.
you help them through a harsh winter, start some fur trading and next you know you are a minority on your own fucking continent and get insulted by the fuckers.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#15606  Postby willhud9 » Jan 20, 2019 9:49 pm

aban57 wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
theropod wrote:
willhud9 wrote:

I suppose. But expulsion ruins many kids future. Period.

Y’all in your celebratory vengeance seem to not be counting their future.

Teenagers are impulsive dicks. Instead of treating them like mature, reasonable adults maybe we should be treating them as immature, unreasonable kids.

Really? So just how fucking far are they allowed to go when they act on their Nazi training before consequences kick in? Ever?

Not while making America great, right Will?

RS

They are still kids. Treat them like kids. Christ it isn’t hard.

If you are supportive of rehabilitative punishment this isn’t a difficult concept to grasp.

And what kind of rehabilitative punishment a hate-preaching christian school could offer in your opinion ?

None, but the members here are saying “good” to the idea of the kids getting expelled not because of their school, but because they found their actions disgusting.

And that’s fair, the kids behavior were awful. The blame shouldn’t be on the kids. The punishment shouldn’t be on the kids. The indoctrinating teachers and parents need to be held accountable.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15607  Postby romansh » Jan 20, 2019 9:59 pm

willhud9 wrote:
None, but the members here are saying “good” to the idea of the kids getting expelled not because of their school, but because they found their actions disgusting.

And that’s fair, the kids behavior were awful. The blame shouldn’t be on the kids. The punishment shouldn’t be on the kids. The indoctrinating teachers and parents need to be held accountable.

None? What if they had been taught to be respectful of other peoples and cultures? There should be a consequence or two for them. Perhaps write an essay or two on the reasons to be respectful to other peoples. And present them (give presentations) to various schools including those on reservations. But I agree expelling them is over the top.

I am presuming first offences of being stupid Christians publicly here.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#15608  Postby willhud9 » Jan 20, 2019 11:17 pm

No. Punishment is rarely ever an effective behavior correcting tool. Anytime I hear people say, “they need to learn a lesson” I roll my eyes at the draconian philosophy.

Positive reinforcement is the best behavior changing educational tool to assisting kids and teens learn correct behavior.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15609  Postby Thommo » Jan 20, 2019 11:26 pm

You can't positively reinforce negative behaviour (positive reinforcement is a psychological term that refers to offering a reward before, during or after a desireable action occurs) if you want it to stop.

I actually share a lot of your concerns about exclusion, but my suspicion would be that many kids in the US (maybe of the order of tens of thousands a year) are permanently excluded from school each year, and that such exclusions are frequently for much less serious incidents.

I don't know whether this young man should be excluded*, because I don't know his disciplinary record, or the school's policies, which he and his parents should have been informed of.

One of the key things to remember about exclusions (and it is a tremendously complex and challenging area, with a huge range of opposingly pulling forces at play) is that they don't just affect that child. They also affect the other children who are educated at that facility. And the staff.

I would need more information, particularly contextual, to advocate for or against exclusion. Personally.

*Although, I've watched the video another time after making this post and he does remarkably little. Essentially he stands too close to the guy and gives off a threatening air.
Thommo

Print view this post

#15610  Postby Seabass » Jan 20, 2019 11:31 pm

Turns out, it was the Native Merkins that approached the students. The students were just waiting for a bus or something. They also had to endure about half an hour of Black Hebrew Israelites (yes, that's a thing) shouting abuse at them, like "dusty-ass crackers" and "future school shooters". :lol:
Oh well, serves them right for wearing MAGA gear in public, I guess...

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2019/01/20/covington-catholic-incident-indigenous-peoples-march-longer-video/2630930002/
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#15611  Postby Thommo » Jan 20, 2019 11:33 pm

Inopportune moment for posting for me perhaps. Maybe I should eat my words.

Maybe it's not ambiguous then, and he shouldn't be excluded - Will, my apologies.
Thommo

Print view this post

#15612  Postby romansh » Jan 20, 2019 11:52 pm

willhud9 wrote:No. Punishment is rarely ever an effective behavior correcting tool. Anytime I hear people say, “they need to learn a lesson” I roll my eyes at the draconian philosophy.

Positive reinforcement is the best behavior changing educational tool to assisting kids and teens learn correct behavior.

To positively reinforce a behaviour ... the child would have to exhibit that behaviour.

Extinction won't work in this case.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#15613  Postby The_Piper » Jan 21, 2019 12:03 am

I'm eating my words. From this angle, it doesn't look like the "charming young man" as I called him, even did anything wrong. :shifty: :oops:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15614  Postby Alan C » Jan 21, 2019 12:06 am

Maybe so, but those little fuckers were still taking part in a march opposing women's reproductive freedom. Young white males.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#15615  Postby The_Piper » Jan 21, 2019 12:11 am

Alan C wrote:Maybe so, but those little fuckers were still taking part in a march opposing women's reproductive freedom. Young white males.
My first comment on this was sarcastically complimenting the parent and teachers. If they really were there for that, and maybe just because of the maga hats alone, that's probably still justifiable.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15616  Postby willhud9 » Jan 21, 2019 12:17 am

Alan C wrote:Maybe so, but those little fuckers were still taking part in a march opposing women's reproductive freedom. Young white males.

This is really disingenuous as thousands of women were also there. Are their voices also not relevant?

Can men not speak in support or against abortion?

I have stood by this more times than not on this forum but if more people actually tried to understand what the pro-life argument actually believes they’d realize that it’s not a simple gotcha debate.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15617  Postby Seabass » Jan 21, 2019 12:24 am

willhud9 wrote:

This is really disingenuous as thousands of women were also there. Are their voices also not relevant?

I have stood by this more times than not on this forum but if more people actually tried to understand what the pro-life argument actually believes they’d realize that it’s not a simple gotcha debate.

There's not much to understand, Will. It's all built on religious horse shit.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#15618  Postby willhud9 » Jan 21, 2019 12:29 am

Seabass wrote:
willhud9 wrote:

There's not much to understand, Will. It's all built on religious horse shit.

Religious horseshit that defines millions worldview. Hardly dismissable.

Even if it wasn’t religious based it’s still ethics based. If you had the sincere belief that life started at conception you’d hold that any willful termination of such life would be akin to murder.

The problem with the pro-choice debate is there is no hard “life doesn’t start at conception” evidence. Why? Because the term life is meaningless and arbitrary. It varies between people, culture, etc.

So pro-choice people erect their own standard: personhood. When does someone become a person. Except the pro-life side doesn’t accept those parameters. It’s not a debate that’s magically going to be won.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15619  Postby theropod » Jan 21, 2019 12:41 am

Fuck I wish there was an ignore function on this forum.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15620  Postby willhud9 » Jan 21, 2019 12:57 am

Oh no, someone posts a viewpoint you disagree with. How terrifying.

Maybe you could actually critically think, have empathy, and try to understand why certain people act and believe certain things instead of hiding in echo chambers of your own opinions.

That’s what the alt-right does. Might work for you too. :dunno:
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)