President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#17121  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jul 09, 2019 1:00 am

Fuck Trump :D

"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17122  Postby chango369 » Jul 09, 2019 10:48 am

“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#17123  Postby Tero » Jul 09, 2019 11:23 am

How American politics goes
1 Republicans cut tax, let everything run down to barely working...8 years
2 Democrats fix public spending to normal...8 years
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#17124  Postby Thommo » Jul 09, 2019 6:43 pm

I see Trump is outdoing himself with consistency once again in his criticism of the UK ambassador to the US, calling him a "very stupid guy" after earlier saying he doesn’t know Darroch. He also seems to be pinning Darroch's embarrassing June 2017 comments on being a response to his November 2018 criticism of Theresa May in an act of mind bending anachronism.
Thommo

Print view this post

#17125  Postby Fenrir » Jul 10, 2019 5:49 am

Tortured_Genius wrote:
Presumably the US ambassador to the UK sends nothing but nice things about how lovely the UK government is and things are going swimmingly (I'm guessing in simplified comic book form), rather than actually telling the truth.

I'm guessing reports on the condition of the greens at Trump's Scottish monstrosity might constitute the bulk of any correspondence there's any chance Trump might have someone verbally summarize for him.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#17126  Postby Tero » Jul 10, 2019 12:19 pm

Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#17127  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 10, 2019 2:57 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:Fuck Trump :D

For a few seconds I was wondering why they kept beeping the correspondent. :lol:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#17128  Postby Matt_B » Jul 10, 2019 8:18 pm

Fenrir wrote:
Tortured_Genius wrote:
Presumably the US ambassador to the UK sends nothing but nice things about how lovely the UK government is and things are going swimmingly (I'm guessing in simplified comic book form), rather than actually telling the truth.

I'm guessing reports on the condition of the greens at Trump's Scottish monstrosity might constitute the bulk of any correspondence there's any chance Trump might have someone verbally summarize for him.

I seem to recall some rather similar criticism of many close allies of the US in the 2010/11 cable leaks. No ambassadors were forced to resign, although we weren't dealing with a bunch of egotistical children then and Obama was rather more supportive of his diplomats than Boris Johnson.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#17129  Postby Alan C » Jul 11, 2019 12:52 am

So, odds on another shutdown because the Traitor-in-Chief has some unreasonable demand[s]?

Debt ceiling mess and shutdown threat

As it turns out, the Bipartisan Policy Center isn’t alone in its concerns. The Hill reported this morning that lawmakers are “growing anxious that they might have to vote to raise the nation’s debt ceiling in a matter of weeks.”

Lawmakers had hoped they would be able to avoid the politically painful vote to raise the debt ceiling until the fall – and that it could be packaged with other legislation to fund the government and set budget caps on spending.

But that could be much more difficult if Treasury’s ability to prevent the government from going over its borrowing limit ends in mid-September – just days after lawmakers would be set to return from their summer recess.

At some point, we should all probably have a conversation about why federal tax revenue is proving to be a problem – have I mentioned lately that the Republican tax plan was a bad idea? – but in the short term, the prospect of an ugly train wreck is coming into sharper focus.

So is this debt ceiling something that has been continually rising? If so, isn't that a bad thing?

Edit; quote error.
Last edited by Alan C on Jul 11, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#17130  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 11, 2019 3:56 am

To be fair, raising the debt ceiling was happening long before Agent Orange decided to give it all away to the wealthy. He's just made it so that we're surpassing our debt ceilings much faster than we were before.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17131  Postby newolder » Jul 11, 2019 9:55 am

"The kidney has a very special place in the heart." — Dotard J. Trump, without Teleprompt, yesterday.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#17132  Postby Tero » Jul 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Trump and Barr announce: supreme court decisions do not apply to the president

Trump expected to order citizenship question added to the census
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... s-n1028656

and by the way, the election is also cancelled. It would end in an embarrassing way for Trump.
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#17133  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jul 11, 2019 3:53 pm

Tero wrote:Trump and Barr announce: supreme court decisions do not apply to the president

Trump expected to order citizenship question added to the census
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... s-n1028656

and by the way, the election is also cancelled. It would end in an embarrassing way for Trump.

fantastic, I‘m sure that a presidential „fuck you“ will sit well with the SCOTUS.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#17134  Postby Seabass » Jul 11, 2019 7:10 pm

The classiest president ever, folks. That I can tell you.

Trump’s Florida resort hosting golf tournament for unregistered charity with strippers as ‘caddy girls’
https://www.rawstory.com/2019/07/trumps-resort-hosting-golf-tournament-for-unregistered-charity-with-strippers-as-caddy-girls/

President Donald Trump’s Doral, Florida resort is forgetting about family values and holding a stripper-fueled golf tournament Saturday.

Washington Post reporter David Fahrenthold broke the news Tuesday that a Miami-area strip club will allow golfers to pay to buy a dancer to serve as a “caddy girl” while they golf.

The “Shadow All Star Tournament” is hosted by a club called Shadow Cabaret in Hialeah, an area northwest of downtown Miami.

“The Trump name and family crest are displayed prominently in the strip club’s advertising materials, which offer golfers the ‘caddy girl of your choice,'” Fahrenthold observed.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#17135  Postby Alan C » Jul 11, 2019 7:28 pm

As I write this, Twitter seems to be down, I wonder how Tinyhands Tweetolini is taking it not being able vomit forth what can only charitably be called thoughts.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#17136  Postby newolder » Jul 11, 2019 7:35 pm

Alan C wrote:As I write this, Twitter seems to be down, I wonder how Tinyhands Tweetolini is taking it not being able vomit forth what can only charitably be called thoughts.

Re: twitter down...
@lookner having a laugh with live coverage of the outage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaXbw27FIl8
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#17137  Postby Tero » Jul 11, 2019 8:13 pm

Trump pulls out...with census issue?

Meanwhile
It Took Democrats Six Months in Power to Conclude That They Should Maybe Ask Michael Flynn About Russia
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... ssion=true
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#17138  Postby Seabass » Jul 11, 2019 8:40 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:http://www.rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1834473#p1834473

I think this article would have triggered a cataract of specious verbiage from a certain Trump defence counsel manque. Many pixels have been given a reprieve!

'Mueller Missed the Crime: Trump’s Campaign Coordinated With Russia'

Ever since the release of the Mueller Report, countless commentators have implored everyone to just #ReadtheReport. The problem is not who is reading it—the problem is the report itself, and its many errors.

Robert Mueller made a significant legal error and, based on the facts he found, he should have identified Trump campaign felonies. Mueller’s errors meant that, first, he failed to conclude that the Trump campaign criminally coordinated with Russia; second, he failed to indict campaign chairman Paul Manafort and his deputy Rick Gates for felony campaign coordination (see in a concise timeline below); third, the 10 acts of felony obstruction in Volume II fell flat among the general public because it lacked compelling context of these underlying crimes between the campaign and Russia. On top of these errors, the former special counsel said he deliberately wrote the report to be unclear because it would be unfair to make clear criminal accusations against a president.

The bottom line is that the Mueller Report is a failure not because of Congress or because of public apathy, but because it failed to get the law, the facts, or even the basics of writing right. When Mueller testifies before Congress on July 17, he should be pressed on all of this.

Mueller should have concluded that both Manafort and Gates engaged in felony campaign coordination, and he should have indicted Manafort for it. Manafort is a lawyer with decades of experience working for presidential campaigns: it would be less difficult to establish “knowing and willful” violations. And Manafort’s extraordinary record of lying to prosecutors—and coordinating his lies with Trump’s lawyers—would help prove the case as an inference of consciousness of guilt. In the very least, Mueller should have explicitly stated that there was substantial evidence of illegal coordination, even if it was insufficient for a criminal prosecution.

Members of Congress should [...] ask tough questions of Mueller: Why did you ignore the law of campaign coordination, which was clearly established by Congress and the FEC, and thoroughly upheld in broad terms by the Supreme Court? Did your failure to identify the correct legal standard limit your investigation of Manafort, Gates, Stone, and Trump? If you knew of these rules, why did you fail to identify this coordination as illegal once you found it?

Mueller’s failures and omissions have another round of dangerous cause-and-effect. He is opening the loophole that Congress was purposely trying to avoid, and he is telling all the 2020 campaigns that these rules will not be enforced. Now Trump and his aides seem to think they have legal permission to openly do all of it again. Rudy Giuliani flagrantly tested these coordination rules in his political contacts with Ukraine officials. Given Mueller’s failure and Trump’s exploitation of that failure, it is now Congress’s duty to the public, the candidates under investigation, and future candidates to identify the law clearly, and to explain that some of this behavior was a civil violation, and in fact a criminal violation.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Print view this post

#17139  Postby Tero » Jul 11, 2019 9:14 pm

4A382CDA-37A2-4A1F-A806-3A0F6B17106D.jpeg
4A382CDA-37A2-4A1F-A806-3A0F6B17106D.jpeg (205.52 KiB) Viewed 792 times
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#17140  Postby Seabass » Jul 11, 2019 10:14 pm

Definitely a cult. :?

Seabass

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs