President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#17401  Postby The_Piper » Aug 22, 2019 1:03 pm

"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17402  Postby felltoearth » Aug 22, 2019 5:38 pm

7A4E1A31-2E45-4EA9-8C2A-6EBB9563A462.jpeg
7A4E1A31-2E45-4EA9-8C2A-6EBB9563A462.jpeg (196.76 KiB) Viewed 814 times
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17403  Postby felltoearth » Aug 22, 2019 5:43 pm

So much winning.

2F0229AE-A1BB-4C7D-9C14-AB99FCF43A29.jpeg
2F0229AE-A1BB-4C7D-9C14-AB99FCF43A29.jpeg (217.08 KiB) Viewed 811 times
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17404  Postby felltoearth » Aug 23, 2019 1:33 am

9910B6EC-D034-403D-BAAD-0997E4814677.jpeg
9910B6EC-D034-403D-BAAD-0997E4814677.jpeg (153.14 KiB) Viewed 763 times
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17405  Postby Macdoc » Aug 23, 2019 4:02 am

Oh fuck ...take a messed up election system and makie it a free for all...

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/us/2 ... rules.html
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#17406  Postby Hermit » Aug 23, 2019 5:37 am

"And I think any Jewish people that vote for a Democrat, I think it shows either a total lack of knowledge or great disloyalty."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-jews-who-vote-for-democrats-are-disloyal
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#17407  Postby Hermit » Aug 23, 2019 5:55 am

Looks like Trump's re-election chances keep diving. Even Fox News's own polls indicate that.

God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#17408  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 23, 2019 6:32 am

According to various polling sources, the percentage of US Jews who vote Democrat is consistently 70 - 80%

Less than 25% of US Jews voted for Trump

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/je ... -elections

That's an awful lot of Jews to be calling ignorant or disloyal.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#17409  Postby OlivierK » Aug 23, 2019 8:40 am

Meh, it's not votes lost if they didn't vote for him last time :dunno:
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#17410  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 23, 2019 9:23 am

OlivierK wrote:Meh, it's not votes lost if they didn't vote for him last time :dunno:

I dunno... while he may pick up a few more white nationalist anti-semite inbreds, there are plenty more 'independents' who may see this as far beyond the pale.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#17411  Postby Alan C » Aug 23, 2019 10:06 am

When I read about this sort of thing I often wonder how Kushner goes along with it, or Bibi for that matter.

Speaking of Faux News, it appears Sarah Slanders is getting a 'contributor' position there which Twittler seems enthusiastic about. With her record she's probably overqualified in the lying department.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#17412  Postby Hermit » Aug 23, 2019 11:04 am

Alan C wrote:When I read about this sort of thing I often wonder how Kushner goes along with it, or Bibi for that matter.

Quite enthusiastically, actually. Trump basically painted the Democratic Party as anti-Semitic. If that is what the Dems are about, voting for the Dems equals supporting anti-Semitism. Given the context Trump was speaking in, he was not accusing Democrat-voting Jews to be disloyal in regard to the USA. He accused them of being disloyal to their fellow Jews.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#17413  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 23, 2019 12:40 pm

Hermit wrote: Given the context Trump was speaking in, he was not accusing Democrat-voting Jews to be disloyal in regard to the USA. He accused them of being disloyal to their fellow Jews.

Actually, that's the problem. These are US citizens, and he was accusing them of failing to put their race? religion? ethnicity? - summed up in the term 'Israel' - ahead of their nationality by birth.

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/trump-s ... -1.7731697

Explained Trump's 'Disloyal to Israel' Comments Target His Evangelical Base, Not Jewish Voters

U.S. President Donald Trump’s branding of American Jews who vote for Democrats as “disloyal” to Israel prompted alarms of anti-Semitism. But his ultimate aim appears to be dividing Democrats, peeling off Jewish support and shoring up his white evangelical Christian base.

The comment — which appeared to traffic in anti-Semitic tropes about Jews’ supposed loyalty to Israel — added a sharper edge to Trump’s appeals to another largely Democratic constituency: black voters, whom he challenged to support him in 2016 by asking: “What do you have to lose?”

Trump’s comments are just the latest iteration in a political strategy he has been using since the beginning of the year. In March Trump endorsed the so-called Jexodus movement, which aims to facilitate American Jews leaving the Democratic Party.

“There is no evidence whatsoever that American Jews are going to be more inclined to vote for Donald Trump and the Republican Party because of these attacks,” said Logan Bayroff, a spokesman for the progressive American Jewish group J Street.

Furthermore, Bayroff predicted that Trump would have little success swaying swing voters. “All he’s doing is making himself toxic to American Jews and many other Americans who are more and more horrified by what he’s doing,” he said.

Indeed, even some Trump allies concede that the president’s attempt to paint himself as more pro-Israel than Democrats is more likely to resonate with evangelical voters, who polls show are more supportive of Trump’s brand of pro-Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu-aligned policies than American Jews are.

A Pew Research Center poll conducted in April, for instance, found 42% of Jewish Americans said Trump’s policies favored the Israelis too much, versus just 26% of Christians who expressed that view. Among evangelical Protestants, who have proved to be among Trump’s most steadfast supporters, that number dropped to just 15%

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#17414  Postby The_Piper » Aug 23, 2019 1:09 pm

He and his faithful followers keep branding "the squad" as hating Israel and Jewish people, but the only example I've ever seen used was Omar's comment about 9-11 that "some people did something". Which, when taken in the context of her speech, was a reasonable thing to say. No, they just keep pointing fingers without giving any examples.
9-11 broke my heart, but that doesn't mean all Muslims loved it. The bolded is the context of Omar's comment. Unlike Trump fake-remembering Muslims on New Jersey rooftops applauding, I remember Muslims in the US and world, by and large, condemning it.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17415  Postby Animavore » Aug 23, 2019 2:22 pm

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#17416  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 23, 2019 2:27 pm

:rofl:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17417  Postby fisherman » Aug 23, 2019 5:27 pm

Not sure how direct a cause and effect. But the Trump trade war with China has resulted in Chinese demand for soybean being taken up by other countries such as Brazil. Lotta rainforest being cleared and burnt just now...

Soy farmers who planted this spring - when the White House was talking up a nearly finished trade deal with China - watched as those trade talks collapsed in May, sending prices well below their costs of production.

Vanessa Kummer’s farm in Colfax, North Dakota, has yet to sell a single soybean from the fall harvest because of the low prices. Normally, the farm would have forward-sold 50% to 75% of the upcoming harvest.

She fears the U.S.-China soy trade is now “permanently damaged” as China shifts its purchases to Brazil, uses less soy in animal feed and consumes less pork as African swine fever kills of millions of the nation’s pigs.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-china-soybeans/on-the-front-lines-trade-war-sinks-north-dakota-soybean-farmers-idUSKCN1VC0ZX
fisherman

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#17418  Postby The_Piper » Aug 23, 2019 5:33 pm

It's also negatively affecting Maine's lobster industry, one of the state's biggest and it's most well-known export. Something like 3/4 fewer lobsters are being sold. They probably mostly vote democrat though, so ha-ha liberal tears. Canada is taking up the slack.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17419  Postby NamelessFaceless » Aug 23, 2019 6:49 pm

Well, we've been "hereby ordered" to stop doing business with China . . .

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 9131848705

"Our Country has lost, stupidly, Trillions of Dollars with China over many years. They have stolen our Intellectual Property at a rate of Hundreds of Billions of Dollars a year, & they want to continue. I won't let that happen! We don't need China and, frankly, would be far better off without them. The vast amounts of money made and stolen by China from the United States, year after year, for decades, will and must STOP. Our great American companies are hereby ordered to immediately start looking for an alternative to China, including bringing our companies HOME and making your products in the USA. I will be responding to China's Tariffs this afternoon. This is a GREAT opportunity for the United States. Also, I am ordering all carriers, including Fed Ex, Amazon, UPS and the Post Office, to SEARCH FOR & REFUSE all deliveries of Fentanyl from China (or anywhere else!). Fentanyl kills 100,000 Americans a year. President Xi said this would stop - it didn't. Our Economy, because of our gains in the last 2 1/2 years, is MUCH larger than that of China. We will keep it that way!"

:nono:
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17420  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 23, 2019 7:04 pm

Ranting lunatic without so much as a passing grasp of how anything works. China's in a great place to hurt the US, and I unlike the softball allies, they're more likely to be inclined to take the hit for national pride's sake and stick two fingers up at the numpty.

Meanwhile, of course, everyone else can profit from this moron's terminal incomprehension of basic market forces.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs