President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#17841  Postby The_Piper » Oct 10, 2019 12:54 am

Thommo wrote:When was that?

Also, how does this stack up as a theory compared to the Joe Biden stuff? I seem to recall De Niro doesn't have the best track record.

It was in 2010. The Twitter account isn't the actual Robert De Niro. Turkey is invading Syria now.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17842  Postby Thommo » Oct 10, 2019 1:05 am

Right, as far as I can tell there's no connection between the tweet and what's going on now. The situation in Turkey is terrible, the insinuation in the tweet from the account named after De Niro is meaningless.
Thommo

Print view this post

#17843  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 10, 2019 1:21 am

Seabass wrote:We apparently now have an official, state-run, pro-Trump, domestic propaganda outlet.

People's Democratic Republic of North America.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#17844  Postby The_Piper » Oct 10, 2019 3:04 am

Thommo wrote:Right, as far as I can tell there's no connection between the tweet and what's going on now. The situation in Turkey is terrible, the insinuation in the tweet from the account named after De Niro is meaningless.

The message is a bit misleading. There's no sure connection, but it's obviously a conflict of interest with his businesses. They're being run by his sons, not a blind trust like it ought to be.
What's sickening to me is that he's moved the US military out of Turkey's way knowing full well that they'd attack the Kurds.

Which leads me to this:
Asked about the Kurds, President Trump says they "didn't help us in the Second World War, they didn't help us with Normandy" and that they're fighting for "their land

There's a video on the tweet where he sings the same old tune about NATO some more. That's also sickening to me. He thinks it's not helping us, apparently. :picard:

ETA - as an aside, what do you mean by De Niro's track record, is there an example?
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17845  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 10, 2019 5:47 am

Even Fox News is having to be up front about this - not much room to spin it.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox-ne ... mpeachment

Fox News Poll: Record support for Trump impeachment

Just over half of voters want President Trump impeached and removed from office, according to a Fox News Poll released Wednesday.

A new high of 51 percent wants Trump impeached and removed from office, another 4 percent want him impeached but not removed, and 40 percent oppose impeachment altogether. In July, 42 percent favored impeachment and removal, while 5 percent said impeach but don’t remove him, and 45 percent opposed impeachment.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#17846  Postby Thommo » Oct 10, 2019 6:19 am

The_Piper wrote:
Thommo wrote:Right, as far as I can tell there's no connection between the tweet and what's going on now. The situation in Turkey is terrible, the insinuation in the tweet from the account named after De Niro is meaningless.

The message is a bit misleading. There's no sure connection, but it's obviously a conflict of interest with his businesses.

I'm not quite sure what the tweet thanking Erdogan would have to do with such a conflict of interest. There seems to be literally no connection whatsoever with Trump pulling troops out of Syria three years into his presidency and the fact his daughter thanked the president of Turkey almost a decade ago.

Certainly Trump has all sorts of conflicts of interest and having his family run his businesses while he's President doesn't provide the kind of firewall it's supposed to. Although that said if Erdogan threatened Trump's businesses to Trump-as-President (which he almost undoubtedly didn't) in an attempt to leverage his Syria policy it wouldn't really matter who was in charge of the businesses anyway.

Compared even to the scandal of him redirecting USAF planes to refuel near his golf course in Scotland (which is the kind of run of the mill corruption he's abused his office for) this (and "this" means the Trump towers Turkey insinuations related in the tweet, not the wider problems in Turkey following the power vacuum of US withdrawal) seems really to be a non issue. What Trump is doing is dangerous, reckless, lacking in foresight and unpresidential. He clearly doesn't give the tiniest shit about the lives this move will cost and the ethnic cleansing that will take place against people who supported US forces. He's an "America first" isolationist and that's why he's doing this, not because there was some hypothetical change in the status of the building in Turkey that has Trump branding on it, and for which he's presumably been compensated over the last decade.

The_Piper wrote:hey're being run by his sons, not a blind trust like it ought to be.
What's sickening to me is that he's moved the US military out of Turkey's way knowing full well that they'd attack the Kurds.

To me too. I just don't like tieing that - rightful - outrage to dubious insinuations about Trump branded buildings. If we pretend that Trump having businesses in a foreign country is automatically dirty and we give credence to any insinuations about it then we have to do the same for any other politician and any other foreign country. Like Biden and Ukraine, a story which similarly has absolutely no evidence to support it.

The_Piper wrote:There's a video on the tweet where he sings the same old tune about NATO some more. That's also sickening to me. He thinks it's not helping us, apparently. :picard:

Absolutely. He's sickening, he's a crook and he's unfit to run the local tennis club, let alone a country.

The_Piper wrote:ETA - as an aside, what do you mean by De Niro's track record, is there an example?

I just half remembered that De Niro had come under fire for retweeting various half baked theories in the past. It's quite possible I'm mistaken and have just confused him for every other twitter user. Not really worth worrying about as the tweet wasn't from him anyway!
Thommo

Print view this post

#17847  Postby aliihsanasl » Oct 10, 2019 4:14 pm

Came to read comments about Trump's tweets about Kurd's role in SWW and Normandiya operation rofl

I think hes trying to guarantee his room in a mental hospital.

How could Kurds help them in SWW, they didnt have a state? :ask:
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#17848  Postby Svartalf » Oct 10, 2019 4:28 pm

He's an uncultured idiot, and adds to it to try and look less dangerous
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#17849  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 10, 2019 5:07 pm

aliihsanasl wrote:Came to read comments about Trump's tweets about Kurd's role in SWW and Normandiya operation rofl

I think hes trying to guarantee his room in a mental hospital.

How could Kurds help them in SWW, they didnt have a state? :ask:

Or, more importantly, an organised and armed army.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#17850  Postby Svartalf » Oct 10, 2019 5:13 pm

well, they don't fully need one, they have always been bandits (if you believe the Iranians) and guerilla fighters.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#17851  Postby The_Piper » Oct 10, 2019 7:26 pm

Thommo wrote:
I'm not quite sure what the tweet thanking Erdogan would have to do with such a conflict of interest. There seems to be literally no connection whatsoever with Trump pulling troops out of Syria three years into his presidency and the fact his daughter thanked the president of Turkey almost a decade ago.

Good points Thommo, and I agree with more or less everything you wrote. Without any credible evidence that the withdrawal is connected to Trump's businesses, we don't know that it is. I'm not willing to say it's probably not connected to Trump personally, somehow, knowing how fraudulent the man's life has been up to now, but I wouldn't proclaim it is without knowing more. I was reacting to the leaving our allies for dead part.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17852  Postby chango369 » Oct 10, 2019 7:50 pm

Now wait just a darn tootin' minute there.

At nearly every step of Rudy Giuliani’s effort to get the Ukrainian government to investigate Trump’s political rivals, Giuliani has been accompanied by two men often described as his “fixers”: Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman.

But the latest dizzying twist in the unfolding Ukraine scandal is that Parnas and Fruman were arrested Wednesday evening — at Dulles Airport outside Washington, DC, as they were trying to leave the United States with one-way tickets — and charged with campaign finance law violations.

Rudy Giuliani’s fixers for the Ukraine caper just got arrested
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#17853  Postby purplerat » Oct 10, 2019 7:54 pm

chango369 wrote:Now wait just a darn tootin' minute there.

At nearly every step of Rudy Giuliani’s effort to get the Ukrainian government to investigate Trump’s political rivals, Giuliani has been accompanied by two men often described as his “fixers”: Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman.

But the latest dizzying twist in the unfolding Ukraine scandal is that Parnas and Fruman were arrested Wednesday evening — at Dulles Airport outside Washington, DC, as they were trying to leave the United States with one-way tickets — and charged with campaign finance law violations.

Rudy Giuliani’s fixers for the Ukraine caper just got arrested

Not only were they trying to flee the country but they had just had lunch with Giuliani hours before. Nothing to to see here folks.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17854  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 10, 2019 7:56 pm

https://checks-and-balances.org/new-sta ... of-office/

Statement from co-founders and additional members of Checks & Balances:

In the past several weeks, it has become clear to any observer of current events that the president is abusing the office of the presidency for personal political objectives. Although new facts are being revealed on a daily basis, the following are undisputed, to date:

One of the Conservative co-signers happens to be George T. Conway III, the husband of Trump's political consultant Kellyanne.

That's going to be an uncomfortable weekend.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#17855  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Oct 10, 2019 7:59 pm

The_Piper wrote:
Thommo wrote:

Good points Thommo, and I agree with more or less everything you wrote. Without any credible evidence that the withdrawal is connected to Trump's businesses, we don't know that it is. I'm not willing to say it's probably not connected to Trump personally, somehow, knowing how fraudulent the man's life has been up to now, but I wouldn't proclaim it is without knowing more. I was reacting to the leaving our allies for dead part.

I think his attention span is much too short for the two things to be connected.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#17856  Postby Seabass » Oct 10, 2019 10:17 pm

You can't swing a dead cat in White House without hitting an impeachable offense.

Trump Urged Top Aide to Help Giuliani Client Facing DOJ Charges

President Donald Trump pressed then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to help persuade the Justice Department to drop a criminal case against an Iranian-Turkish gold trader who was a client of Rudy Giuliani, according to three people familiar with the 2017 meeting in the Oval Office.

Tillerson refused, arguing it would constitute interference in an ongoing investigation of the trader, Reza Zarrab, according to the people. They said other participants in the Oval Office were shocked by the request.

Tillerson immediately repeated his objections to then-Chief of Staff John Kelly in a hallway conversation just outside the Oval Office, emphasizing that the request would be illegal. Neither episode has been previously reported, and all of the people spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the conversations.

more: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-09/trump-urged-top-aide-to-help-giuliani-client-facing-doj-charges
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#17857  Postby chango369 » Oct 10, 2019 10:29 pm

Media is focusing on Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman, but the indictment names two more defendants: David Correia and Andrey Kukushkin. Anyway it's chock full of goodies: congressman-1, foreign national-1, candidate-1 , candidate-2 and so on

Lev Parnas indictment (document cloud)

Lev Parnas indictment (PDF)

ETA group photo

dt52.jpg
dt52.jpg (42.11 KiB) Viewed 522 times
Last edited by chango369 on Oct 10, 2019 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#17858  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Oct 10, 2019 10:59 pm

I'm hearing Turkey will be using Syrian Arab militias for clearing northern Syria of Kurds. This can't be good.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17859  Postby Alan C » Oct 10, 2019 11:20 pm

chango369 wrote:Media is focusing on Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman, but the indictment names two more defendants: David Correia and Andrey Kukushkin. Anyway it's chock full of goodies: congressman-1, foreign national-1, candidate-1 , candidate-2 and so on

ETA group photo

dt52.jpg

Will they all be smiling like that in their mug shots?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#17860  Postby scott1328 » Oct 10, 2019 11:21 pm

Alan C wrote:
chango369 wrote:Media is focusing on Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman, but the indictment names two more defendants: David Correia and Andrey Kukushkin. Anyway it's chock full of goodies: congressman-1, foreign national-1, candidate-1 , candidate-2 and so on

ETA group photo

dt52.jpg

Will they all be smiling like that in their mug shots?

I am sure pardons will be issued shortly
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs