President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#18121  Postby chango369 » Nov 16, 2019 7:36 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Longtime White House budget employee Mark Sandy was expected to appear in a closed hearing on Saturday before the House committees conducting the impeachment inquiry, making him the first official from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) to testify in the inquiry.

Sandy's testimony could fill in gaps about the withholding of military aid to Ukraine for several months, a process in which the OMB played a critical role. Unlike several other OMB officials who have refused to appear before the committee, he was not appointed by President Trump.

One thing I am not clear about with respect to all the proceedings, when a summoned official refuses to appear before the House committee - what happens? Is there no recourse to a refusal of a subpoena? Are all these people racking up fines, or prison time?

Dem leadership have yet to use the power of inherent contempt. :-x

From what I've gathered, they're 'taking note' of the refusal, and creating adverse inferences.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#18122  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 16, 2019 7:49 pm

chango369 wrote:
Dem leadership have yet to use the power of inherent contempt. :-x

From what I've gathered, they're 'taking note' of the refusal, and creating adverse inferences.

The problem with the latter is that it doesn't help convince someone who's not already convinced. It does look dodgy, but you can't build a case on the evidence that was withheld from you.

But the former seems like it hasn't been used in decades, so I imagine it will be up for spin if it's suddenly applied to dozens of people.

I see this bit, though:

Presidential pardons appear not to apply to a civil contempt procedure such as the above, since it is not an "offense against the United States" or against "the dignity of public authority."

That gives it some impact.

However, this all seems to fit with a Republican smokescreen bullshit spin. It almost feels as if the House committee is basically powerless with an administration that holds complete contempt for the rule of law.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#18123  Postby chango369 » Nov 16, 2019 7:56 pm

I don't think the authors of the Constitution foresaw such endemic malicious treachery as we're seeing with the GOP and Trump admin.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#18124  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 16, 2019 7:59 pm

chango369 wrote:I don't think the authors of the Constitution foresaw such endemic malicious treachery as we're seeing with the GOP and Trump admin.

I still think it's beyond belief, so I believe you're probably right.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#18125  Postby Alan C » Nov 16, 2019 9:37 pm

Was there any consequences for those involved in the Repugnant's pizza party in the SCIF?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#18126  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Nov 17, 2019 12:44 am

Alan C wrote:Was there any consequences for those involved in the Repugnant's pizza party in the SCIF?

I imagine they are intentionally avoiding going heavy handed with obstinate Republicans and uncooperative witnesses in order to maintain political standing with right leaning independents. If they are making good headway with the witnesses they already have and the process is still adequately maintained, not laying down the law for their tantrums looks better for Dems than it does for the republicans who look mostly clownish and dishonest.

Technically they could start arresting congressmen or white house staff that obstruct or refuse subpoenas but then the words "Liberal coup" would explode into the political lexicon and would be on every chyron on Fox News. I'm pretty confident it would stifle or reverse any political momentum for impeachment not to mention what it would do to democratic chances in 2020.

I agree with this strategy. Let them beclown themselves and let the facts keep destroying their backup arguments as they descend deeper into absurdity. Don't do anything to change the focus of this.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18127  Postby Animavore » Nov 17, 2019 6:07 am

74421348_10162492570245414_4543484033710948352_o.jpg
74421348_10162492570245414_4543484033710948352_o.jpg (155.85 KiB) Viewed 887 times
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#18128  Postby Animavore » Nov 17, 2019 7:16 am

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#18129  Postby Briton » Nov 17, 2019 10:26 am

chango369 wrote:I don't think the authors of the Constitution foresaw such endemic malicious treachery as we're seeing with the GOP and Trump admin.

Yes they have been found to be short-sighted in the extreme. Turns out the United States Emperor President has powers the king they threw over could but dream of.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#18130  Postby Alan C » Nov 18, 2019 7:58 am

So he had a Saturday hospital trip?
I hope he stays well enough to be imprisoned, I wouldn't want him to take the easy way out by dying. I don't think he'd off himself but I often wonder about his combination of diet, little sleep and stress.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#18131  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Nov 18, 2019 4:49 pm

I don't know if we can afford to wait that long. I'm hoping for a massive coronary.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18132  Postby aban57 » Nov 18, 2019 8:30 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-50468025

After screwing his own country, he now screws the entire Middle-East. He sees big, you've got to give him that.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#18133  Postby Scot Dutchy » Nov 18, 2019 9:55 pm

aban57 wrote:https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-50468025

After screwing his own country, he now screws the entire Middle-East. He sees big, you've got to give him that.

You have info?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#18134  Postby OlivierK » Nov 18, 2019 11:21 pm

Aban is commenting on the link he posted.

What are you talking about?
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18135  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 19, 2019 12:47 am

This is more than just Trump, although he is responsible for putting people in these positions; this is evangelical Christianity informing policy decision making. Trump doesn't care - come on, he doesn't have a fucking clue what he's doing on even much simpler facets of governance - everything done is sold to him on the basis of 'your base will love this' - it's all about ratings.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#18136  Postby OlivierK » Nov 19, 2019 1:13 am

And trolling progressives.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18137  Postby Tero » Nov 19, 2019 2:12 am

E218DD8B-A070-4A1E-8A9A-630D54EA905A.jpeg
E218DD8B-A070-4A1E-8A9A-630D54EA905A.jpeg (126.4 KiB) Viewed 657 times

Link
https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/11/18/politi ... cnn.com%2F
How American politics goes
1 Republicans cut tax, let everything run down to barely working...8 years
2 Democrats fix public spending to normal...8 years
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#18138  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Nov 19, 2019 5:59 am

OlivierK wrote:And trolling progressives.

Motivating progressives.
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18139  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Nov 19, 2019 6:00 am

This week is going to be fun.
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18140  Postby aban57 » Nov 19, 2019 7:31 am

Spearthrower wrote:

This is more than just Trump, although he is responsible for putting people in these positions; this is evangelical Christianity informing policy decision making. Trump doesn't care - come on, he doesn't have a fucking clue what he's doing on even much simpler facets of governance - everything done is sold to him on the basis of 'your base will love this' - it's all about ratings.

No of course, I didn't mean there was a thought process behind all that :)
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs