President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#5621  Postby Animavore » Apr 22, 2017 12:22 am

Trump cries about the "ridiculous standard" he's been held to for his first 100 days. This is the guy who bragged he was going to do so much in his first 100 days.

http://newcenturytimes.com/2017/04/21/t ... ent-tweet/
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5622  Postby The_Piper » Apr 22, 2017 12:27 am

Animavore wrote:Trump fishes for Obamacare horror stories on Twitter. Backfires.

http://www.vocativ.com/411857/trumps-ca ... BO-15a-Z01
He's such a fucking idiot. It doesn't matter what he tweets about though, the replies are always overwhelmingly negative.
Archie Bunker can't use a computer/smart phone, and his supporters aren't as numerous online.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5623  Postby Animavore » Apr 22, 2017 1:00 am

Koch Brothers have words with Freedom Caucus. Want them to support the recently proposed repeal and replace of Obamacare for another try.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/2 ... ves-237472
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5624  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 22, 2017 10:10 am

How stable is Trump? Does he listen to what his officials are saying publicly? Ryan says US is ready as soon as possible to make a trade deal with the UK and what does Trump do after some quiet words from Mutti?

Trump bumps Britain down the queue 'after Merkel lobbies for EU trade deal first'

Report comes days after senior Republican said the US was ready to forge an agreement with Britain 'as soon as possible'

Donald Trump has bumped Britain down the queue for a new free trade agreement after Angela Merkel convinced him he should first strike a deal with the EU, it has been claimed.

Ms Merkel's lobbying reportedly led to a "realisation" in Washington that a deal with the EU would benefit the US far more than one with the UK post-Brexit.

Citing American officials, The Times reported Mr Trump was now convinced making an agreement with Europe would be easier than he had thought.

It comes just days after senior Republican Paul Ryan told Cabinet ministers the US was ready to forge an agreement with Britain "as soon as possible", and would stand alongside its "special ally" during the Brexit process.

At a Policy Exchange event in London, Mr Ryan, the speaker of the US House of Representatives, added: "We think it's in everyone's interests to have a strong relationship between Britain and the EU, we want to, as soon as the UK is ready and able, to do a trade agreement, a bilateral trade agreement."
More...
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5625  Postby proudfootz » Apr 22, 2017 10:23 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:How stable is Trump? Does he listen to what his officials are saying publicly? Ryan says US is ready as soon as possible to make a trade deal with the UK and what does Trump do after some quiet words from Mutti?

Trump bumps Britain down the queue 'after Merkel lobbies for EU trade deal first'

Report comes days after senior Republican said the US was ready to forge an agreement with Britain 'as soon as possible'

Donald Trump has bumped Britain down the queue for a new free trade agreement after Angela Merkel convinced him he should first strike a deal with the EU, it has been claimed.

Ms Merkel's lobbying reportedly led to a "realisation" in Washington that a deal with the EU would benefit the US far more than one with the UK post-Brexit.

Citing American officials, The Times reported Mr Trump was now convinced making an agreement with Europe would be easier than he had thought.

It comes just days after senior Republican Paul Ryan told Cabinet ministers the US was ready to forge an agreement with Britain "as soon as possible", and would stand alongside its "special ally" during the Brexit process.

At a Policy Exchange event in London, Mr Ryan, the speaker of the US House of Representatives, added: "We think it's in everyone's interests to have a strong relationship between Britain and the EU, we want to, as soon as the UK is ready and able, to do a trade agreement, a bilateral trade agreement."
More...

Maybe Trump likes to keep folks guessing, the way Nixon wanted to keep the Vietnamese guessing whether he was going to use nukes.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5626  Postby PensivePenny » Apr 22, 2017 11:24 am

proudfootz wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:How stable is Trump? Does he listen to what his officials are saying publicly? Ryan says US is ready as soon as possible to make a trade deal with the UK and what does Trump do after some quiet words from Mutti?

More...

Maybe Trump likes to keep folks guessing, the way Nixon wanted to keep the Vietnamese guessing whether he was going to use nukes.

Like him or not Nixon was smart (but did a few dumb things). A consummate politician. He was educated on a topic, then acted. Trump acts THEN gets somewhat educated on the topic. It's as if trump is the comedy waiter balancing a stack of plates stepping to and fro trying to get toppling stack back under control. Everyone watches with one eye closed, anticipating the crash, but hoping for a good outcome. Trump is ignorant and convinced he is the smartest man in the room. Is there anything more dangerous? Or random?
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny

Name: Penny
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5627  Postby Corneel » Apr 22, 2017 12:47 pm

proudfootz wrote:Maybe Trump likes to keep folks guessing, the way Nixon wanted to keep the Vietnamese guessing whether he was going to use nukes.

Trump's foreign policy in a simple image:
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#5628  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 22, 2017 1:10 pm

Trump just keeps himself guessing.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5629  Postby Alan B » Apr 22, 2017 1:14 pm

Does that mean the US corporate takeover of the NHS might be delayed?

Or could this just be a distraction?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5630  Postby crank » Apr 22, 2017 7:44 pm

PensivePenny wrote:
Like him or not Nixon was smart (but did a few dumb things). A consummate politician. He was educated on a topic, then acted. Trump acts THEN gets somewhat educated on the topic. It's as if trump is the comedy waiter balancing a stack of plates stepping to and fro trying to get toppling stack back under control. Everyone watches with one eye closed, anticipating the crash, but hoping for a good outcome. Trump is ignorant and convinced he is the smartest man in the room. Is there anything more dangerous? Or random?

Nixon didn't do 'a few dumb things', he was a paranoid, bigoted, scheming crook. That's who he was, the tapes make this plain. His aides actually stopped, or ignored, a bunch of his more seriously fucked up orders. But you're on the mark about intellect, Trump couldn't make it as Nixon's nose hair trimmer.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#5631  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Apr 22, 2017 8:36 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:It's the whole picture that is important.

There's the rub, big guy. There's no hard evidence for the whole picture. Ah, but you've left yourself an out: As complete as possible. Who the fuck knows what's 'possible'? That's right, you make it up as you go along. President Trump watch, my ass.

What do you mean by "hard evidence for the whole picture"? Even without hard evidence you can have multiple independent lines of evidence confirming the same thing. The big picture.
WayOfTheDodo

Name: Raphus Cucullatus

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#5632  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Apr 22, 2017 8:42 pm

Sendraks wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:
What do you mean? Even hard evidence can conceivably tell different things depending on context and what other pieces of evidence say. It's the whole picture that is important. Each piece of evidence helps paint this picture. You want as many pieces of evidence as possible to get as complete a picture as possible.

Yes, I've already said this. That's the whole point of what I have been saying.

Eye witness testimony alone is worthless. It is unreliable. It is the weakest form of evidence.
And it is the work of a moment to find that this view is held by experts.

The point is that any piece of evidence alone is worthless. That DNA evidence on the knife sticking out of the victim'd back? Could be there for any number of reasons. Any single piece of evidence only says something about something very specific. It doesn't tell you the big picture. What actually happened. To reveal the big picture you need multiple pieces of evidence. You need context.

Again, I'd like to ask you with what authority you make your claims about evidence. Are you personally competent to make these statements on the value of different types of evidence, or are you basing them on something you read somewhere?

Eye witness testimony is of key importance in a criminal investigation, as a matter of fact. But like all evidence it needs to be put in context.
WayOfTheDodo

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#5633  Postby Calilasseia » Apr 22, 2017 10:28 pm

purplerat wrote:
Animavore wrote:I was just thinking of the similarity of calling Trump a president and Ray Comfort calling someone a thief because they once stole 10p from their mother.
You know the bit, Comfort asks someone if they ever stole and when they admit they once did snatch a quarter, he presses them and gets them to admit they're thieves, and leads on to say they're sinners. But of course a person is no more a thief for swiping a few cents than another is a carpenter because they once assembled an IKEA bookshelf.
Trump isn't a president just because he got elected by a bunch of people. America right now has no leader and is in a vacuum.

Trump is president in the same way somebody who's actually been convicted of theft is a convicted thief. Believe as you might that it's not true but that doesn't change reality.

There's a vast canyon between occupying an elected office and meeting the criteria required to wield the powers of that office properly. Trump merely occupies the office in question. He doesn't meet the criteria required to shovel shit from point A to point B without trained professional supervision, let alone wield the powers of the office he occupies in a manner displaying something that would be recognised as competence. It's debatable whether this self-propelled orange turd has enough functioning neurons to devote to something other than masturbating his ego, which is the one act for which he has demonstrated a peculiar virtuosity.

Just because he's occupying the office of President, and various Constitutional provisions hold as a consequence thereof, doesn't mean he's anything other than a nappy-shitting toddler in a man's body, pretending to be a competent legislator. When it comes to activities other than lining his pockets and buffing himself before the mirror, he has even less basic ability than the gravel in my aquarium.

Thommo wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Thommo wrote:
Animavore wrote:I don't think our American chums understand how out of favour they've fallen in the World. They may not even care. I've never in my life been an American bashing sort, but right now they are doing everything backwards. I'm a little concerned that they and Britain, another lot whose ranking has dropped, will start some shit the EU will object to and what that might mean. This is pretty much a terrible time to be in, after such a long period of peace and stability.

We need you, Americans, to fucking fix this.

I don't think the world works this way, outside of internet hysteria.

Which part of my post do you think is hysterical? Are you saying the current, anti-sciene, anti-education US government isn't backwards? Are you saying Trump and his cabal of robber batons aren't a threat to the safety of the World both environmentally and from a military perspective? Are you saying America hasn't become lost tons of respect in the World? I'm not sure which part you find disagreeable.

Every part. I don't think you estimate how little of the world even knows about the difference between, say Trump and Clinton to any degree of accuracy. How many of China's 1.2 bn have this knowledge? How many of India's 1.4bn? Turks, Russians, Argentinians, Somalians, Sudanese, South Africans? Of those in charge how many do you suppose care about these issues in the way you do. "The world" doesn't judge that way, and honestly, nor should we.

How much has the USA's carbon emission or long term contribution to climate change altered in the past 6 months? Is it measurable? I'm not saying these things don't matter, but suggesting that the entire world has lost respect over it? That's hysteria - and apparently it extended to Britain as well on the grounds of no policy change and not even a change of governing party.

You literally said that Britain might "start some shit" and that "this is pretty much a terrible time to be in". It's probably the greatest possible time to be alive, social advances, equality, technology, peace, when exactly has Ireland been better?

Of course we can be afraid for the future, but everyone has had that opportunity anywhere and always. Some might even speculate that the terrifying, negative aspects of Brexit (however real or unreal) were themselves the product of fear. I leave that for each of us to decide whether it's an advert or protest against the politics of fear though.

Seriously though, Europeans are under no threat from either of these administrations. I can guarantee IS will kill vastly more of us than either one, and bees more still. I'm the least bit scared of neither.

Actually, thus far, IS has managed to kill fewer than 20 people in the UK. Over the same period, the Tories have killed at least 4,200 disabled people alone. As a corollary, I don't regard Animavore's posts above as in any way hyperbolic, because the available data tells me that he's hit the nail pretty much on the head.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5634  Postby Alan C » Apr 22, 2017 10:41 pm

His Earth-day tweet was another exercise in rampant hypocrisy.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#5635  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Apr 23, 2017 7:19 am

Adrinius wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:
Adrinius wrote:If you have a shitload of hard evidence then why do a probe to find the evidence you're already supposed to have?

What do you mean? Even hard evidence can conceivably tell different things depending on context and what other pieces of evidence say. It's the whole picture that is important. Each piece of evidence helps paint this picture. You want as many pieces of evidence as possible to get as complete a picture as possible.

You answered your own question. If the whole picture is important then executing the suspect means you already have "the whole picture." You don't hang someone and then go looking for proof of his guilt.

I don't understand what you are trying to say. What exactly are you disagreeing with here, and what is your point?
WayOfTheDodo

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#5636  Postby Agrippina » Apr 23, 2017 7:57 am

I look at this thread every day hoping to see that finally someone has managed to dig up real dirt, and that he's about to be arrested. I live in hope.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#5637  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 23, 2017 10:49 am

Dont we all. You just wonder how this lump shit can survive. In any other country he would have been removed by now (well actually I doubt if he would be elected anywhere else).

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5638  Postby Agrippina » Apr 23, 2017 11:18 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Dont we all. You just wonder how this lump shit can survive. In any other country he would have been removed by now (well actually I doubt if he would be elected anywhere else).

I'm watching election fever in the UK, and the voting happening in France today. If the populist/conservatives take over there, you'll have your answer. How easy is it to remove a leader elsewhere? If the majority in government are supporters of the person we want removed, and they're only there because they supported him/her, it's not that easy to remove them.

With this one, he should've been indicted for something before he got past the first elimination process. In my opinion, people who apply for the job should be rigorously investigated before they're even allowed on the ticket for the first part of the election process, and their tax returns should be made public, as well as everything they've ever said or done against the public interest. But then I expect politicians to be above committing crimes. Rose-tinted spectacles should come off.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#5639  Postby Calilasseia » Apr 23, 2017 11:21 am

One of the supreme ironies, is that in the past, "Mexican" was a by-word for "corruption on an industrial scale". Some of the more epic examples in the 1980s included a police chief who somehow managed to run a mansion, two dozen limousines and his own racehorse stable, on a salary of 6,000 pesos per month. Who turned out to be, surprise, surprise, taking kickbacks from drug smugglers.

However, Mexico has exerted a fair amount of effort to clean up its international image since then, and while it still has some progress to make, it's acquitted itself pretty well over the past decade or so. Back in 1995, Mexico was near the bottom of a list of 41 countries in the first edition of the Corruption Perception Index, whereas in the 2016 list, it's 123 out of 176 - a good way to go before it's anywhere near New Zealand levels of pristine cleanliness, but a significant step up from the past. It's now actually placed better than Russia on the list, and separated by a good distance from the basket cases it used to share its score with.

Now, we have Trump in the White House, who is rapidly making Mexico look fucking saintly in comparison.

Perhaps that wall will be there not to keep the Mexicans out of the USA, but to keep corrupt Americans out of Mexico? :mrgreen:
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5640  Postby Agrippina » Apr 23, 2017 11:27 am

Yep. I bet that's what Mexicans are hoping.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs