President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#6221  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » May 19, 2017 4:34 am

How can Pence take up office when he's been lying alongside Trump and the campaign all along?
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6222  Postby Agrippina » May 19, 2017 7:20 am

Heard on his press briefing today "...speaking for myself, and the Russians, there was no collusion between myself and my campaign". So he speaks for the Russians? Or did I mishear?
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#6223  Postby Pulsar » May 19, 2017 7:23 am

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia-contacts-idUSKCN18E106

Trump campaign had at least 18 undisclosed contacts with Russians

Michael Flynn and other advisers to Donald Trump’s campaign were in contact with Russian officials and others with Kremlin ties in at least 18 calls and emails during the last seven months of the 2016 presidential race, current and former U.S. officials familiar with the exchanges told Reuters.

The previously undisclosed interactions form part of the record now being reviewed by FBI and congressional investigators probing Russian interference in the U.S. presidential election and contacts between Trump’s campaign and Russia.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#6224  Postby Pulsar » May 19, 2017 7:31 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/18/us/politics/james-comey-memo-fbi-trump.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share&_r=0

The whole article is worth reading, but this segment is beyond satire:

The ceremony occurred in the Blue Room of the White House, where many senior law enforcement officials — including the Secret Service director — had gathered. Mr. Comey — who is 6 feet 8 inches tall and was wearing a dark blue suit that day – told Mr. Wittes that he tried to blend in with the blue curtains in the back of the room, in the hopes that Mr. Trump would not spot him and call him out.

“He thought he had gotten through and not been noticed or singled out and that he was going to get away without an individual interaction,” Mr. Wittes said Mr. Comey told him.

But Mr. Trump spotted Mr. Comey and called him out.

“Oh and there’s Jim,” Mr. Trump said. “He’s become more famous than me.”

With an abashed look on his face, Mr. Comey walked up to Mr. Trump.

:lol:

Joking aside, this bit is interesting:

Mr. Wittes told Mr. Comey he was encouraged by the fact that the Senate was likely to confirm Rod J. Rosenstein, a longtime federal prosecutor, as the deputy attorney general.

To Mr. Wittes’s surprise, Mr. Comey did not completely agree with him.

“He said, ‘I don’t know. I have some concerns. He’s good, he’s solid but he’s also a survivor and you don’t survive that long without making some compromises and I’m concerned about that.’”

Weeks after his confirmation, Mr. Rosenstein wrote a memo that Mr. Trump initially cited as the justification for firing Mr. Comey.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#6225  Postby Nicko » May 19, 2017 8:46 am

willhud9 wrote:Seth Meyers details a bunch of campaign videos where Trump and subsequent Trump supporters rallied against Clinton's email "scandal" to the point of obnoxiousness, and yet are mute when Trump willfully discloses classified information.

Classified information is classified information. If I had a security clearance at a government job and I disclosed confidential information to someone not cleared for that information I am not only likely to lose my job and my security clearance but depending on the information I am liable to face legal punishment.

The president of the United States is not above the law.

No, but from what I can tell, it's not illegal for the President to decide to share classified information. He's both Commander-in-Chief, holds ultimate executive control over every agency that handles classified information and has ultimate authority over US foreign policy. If he wants to tell the Russian ambassador something, he has the legal authority to do so.

Whether or not it was wise for him to share this information is a separate issue.

By contrast, an official such as the secretary of state most definitely does not have the authority to decide to store classified information in an non-authorised and unsecured location. As I understand it, the punishment meted out for such offences consists of a short, suspended sentence, a fine, the revocation of any security clearances held and a prohibition on the person from ever seeking such clearance again.
Last edited by Nicko on May 19, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6226  Postby Nicko » May 19, 2017 9:26 am

willhud9 wrote:No. I will not blame the press for doing the press's job. Trump abused the trust of a political ally. You keep saying Trump said this to save lives, but offer no substantial evidence to back that claim up. Furthermore, his administration has consistently attacked the media for reporting stories but offering no substance or proof. Well, the story has substance. We know what Trump was talking about with the Russians. We know he had no business telling the Russians that. If Israel confided with the POTUS their intelligence there is an expectation that the President will honor the trust between the two governments, but when Russia is involved Trump's bias is plain to see.

I agree that one should not blame the media for reporting on newsworthy information that comes into their possession.

One should blame the official that leaked the classified information to the Washington Post.

Trump told the Russians about this ISIS plot to put a bomb in a laptop. Okay. Given the security precautions people were going to have to take to foil this, I'm pretty sure this information was going to come to light anyway. Unless you're trying to say that the plan was to let ISIS put this thing on a plane. I can't see any reason to believe that Russia - who are, remember, the main non-ME force fighting ISIS, and therefore a potential target of such an attack - would blab this intelligence around.

The person who did reveal this classified information to the world - including of course ISIS - was the official who decided embarrassing Trump was higher on their list of priorities than foiling a plot to bomb civilian airliners. The thing I find really precious about that original Washington Post story is this little gem:

Miller & Jaffe wrote:At a more fundamental level, the information wasn’t the United States’ to provide to others. Under the rules of espionage, governments — and even individual agencies — are given significant control over whether and how the information they gather is disseminated, even after it has been shared. Violating that practice undercuts trust considered essential to sharing secrets.

The officials declined to identify the ally but said it has previously voiced frustration with Washington’s inability to safeguard sensitive information related to Iraq and Syria.

“If that partner learned we’d given this to Russia without their knowledge or asking first, that is a blow to that relationship,” the U.S. official said.

Well the Israelis fucking know now, don't they?

How?

This grade-A fuckwit fucking told them.

wilhud wrote:The media is doing what the media does: reveal information. If the information was vital and important it would not have made its way to the media it would have stayed confidential. Confidentiality which the POTUS abused. Case closed.

This is just a bizarre thing to say.

It can't be simultaneously okay for the media to tell the entire fucking world - including, as I have said, ISIS - that the US has the skinny on ISIS' latest bomb plot and reprehensible for Trump to tell a single ambassador - who's country is, as I have said, the main non-ME opponent of ISIS - the same thing in private. You can't simultaneously claim that the information was released by the media because it was not "vital and important" while claiming that Trump should be impeached because it was.

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6227  Postby zulumoose » May 19, 2017 10:12 am

You can't simultaneously claim that the information was released by the media because it was not "vital and important" while claiming that Trump should be impeached because it was.

It is not the media who should be held accountable for keeping information released to them secret, the fact that it has been released to them means it is no longer secret, and the people responsible for releasing the information outside the circle it was supposed to be kept within, are the responsible ones.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#6228  Postby proudfootz » May 19, 2017 10:35 am

zulumoose wrote:
You can't simultaneously claim that the information was released by the media because it was not "vital and important" while claiming that Trump should be impeached because it was.

It is not the media who should be held accountable for keeping information released to them secret, the fact that it has been released to them means it is no longer secret, and the people responsible for releasing the information outside the circle it was supposed to be kept within, are the responsible ones.

You're missing the point.

It was the media that trumpeted to the world this info allegedly came from Israel - the thing that supposedly will cut the US off from their intel and might get espionage assets killed.

Put the blame where it belongs for making this knowledge an unavoidable story in every newspaper, newscast, and website for everyone to read.

There's plenty of bad stuff to excoriate Trump for - no need to just make shit up and then get mad at him for it.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6229  Postby chango369 » May 19, 2017 10:49 am

:lol: President Snowflake.

“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#6230  Postby zulumoose » May 19, 2017 10:50 am

It was the media that trumpeted to the world this info allegedly came from Israel - the thing that supposedly will cut the US off from their intel and might get espionage assets killed

Nope, you are missing the point. Once something has been given to the media, the damage is done. The media are under no obligation to keep anything secret, and are in fact not doing their duty if something newsworthy goes unpublished. To expect them to do otherwise is to accept a state media.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#6231  Postby proudfootz » May 19, 2017 10:57 am

zulumoose wrote:

It was the media that trumpeted to the world this info allegedly came from Israel - the thing that supposedly will cut the US off from their intel and might get espionage assets killed

Nope, you are missing the point. Once something has been given to the media, the damage is done. The media are under no obligation to keep anything secret, and are in fact not doing their duty if something newsworthy goes unpublished. To expect them to do otherwise is to accept a state media.

Yes, why did these 'anonymous sources' in government spill the beans to journalists about where this intel allegedly came from?

Because Trump didn't do it AFAICT.

It appears these low level leakers did so to advance their political agenda to embarrass Trump.

The media turned around and irresponsibly published it for Israel and ISIS to see, because it makes them money and advances their political agendas.

Any political fallout and damage to espionage is on the Washington Post, CNN, New York Times, etc.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6232  Postby zulumoose » May 19, 2017 11:14 am

Any political fallout and damage to espionage is on the person who released it to Washington Post, CNN, New York Times, etc. the media

FIFY
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#6233  Postby Nicko » May 19, 2017 11:15 am

zulumoose wrote:

Yep.

These intelligence leaks a really disturbing theme so far in the Trump presidency*.

I really do not like the guy. I mean, I hate Hillary Clinton and still thought she would be preferable to this dickhead.

But do we really want him taken down by some sort of internal coup by the intelligence agencies? After all, executive control was pretty much the only thing restraining the CIA, NSA etc. during the last administration**. Are these fuckers just running around doing whatever they feel like?

* Along with, naturally, the other disturbing themes created by Trump's own dishonesty and incompetence.
** Although the Vault 7 releases raise the possibility that they slipped the leash a bit earlier.

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6234  Postby zulumoose » May 19, 2017 1:44 pm

Coming soon to a theatre near you:-

zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#6235  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 19, 2017 1:56 pm

As Dutchman I object to that!
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6236  Postby The_Metatron » May 19, 2017 5:22 pm

What the fuck, people?

Trump compromised a source of intelligence, one which is effectively closed now. Well done, orange cocksucker.

I read here people complaining about the press reporting what he did? Really? The media is the bad guy in this?

Do you honestly think that the Israelis won't know the Russkies got their intel, through means of counter-intelligence? Do you honestly think they won't know who fucking gave it to them? Knowing those two things, how fucking likely are they going to be to give us information about the next exploding taxi?

This has nothing to do with any anonymous source, or the media. This has to do with Trump. Period.

Let's stay on the ball, eh?
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6237  Postby CdesignProponentsist » May 19, 2017 5:26 pm

timesunion wrote:Great news: Mexico offers to pay for Trump’s impeachment
satire
Marking a potentially big turnaround in rocky U.S.-Mexico relations, Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto on Wednesday offered to pay for President Trump’s impeachment instead of a $21.6 billion border wall separating the two nations.

“We would pay for the ‘whole enchilada,’” Peña Nieto told reporters on the steps of the National Palace in Mexico City. “Impeachment is far cheaper than a border wall, and frankly, no one will want an expensive border wall after Trump’s gone, anyway.”

Budget deficit hawks and even some GOP leaders welcomed Peña Nieto’s offer, which comes amid growing calls for Trump’s impeachment for his part in a series of scandals that has rocked Washington and plunged the White House into chaos.

Continues...
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6238  Postby The_Metatron » May 19, 2017 5:29 pm

Another thing:

How do I assert that source of intelligence is now closed? Why wouldn't it be? Israel went through considerable effort to collect that intelligence that Trump casually gave to the Russkies. Does anyone here think Israel is stupid enough to keep doing that? Does anyone think they will keep risking people and treasure to learn things, tell Trump those things, and have Trump pass them on to Israel's enemies?

Further, how exactly does anyone think we would actually know if Israel shut off the source? So, that source of intelligence is either closed, or we will have no idea of knowing if it is closed. Same result.
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6239  Postby The_Metatron » May 19, 2017 5:32 pm

Another another thing:

Without the media, we would have no fucking idea what Trump is doing to us and our allies.

Picture yourself as the journalist who learned of this compromise. What are you going to do, sit on it? It'll all be just fine, trust that stupid orange motherfucker?

Not on a fucking bet, you would.
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6240  Postby CdesignProponentsist » May 19, 2017 5:35 pm

Agreed. The leeks are far less damaging than allowing such abuse/incompetence to continue, which would likely continue without them.

He's an idiot, that has no idea of the damage he can do. If it doesn't bite him in the ass he will certainly do more.
Last edited by CdesignProponentsist on May 19, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs