President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#6461  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 26, 2017 2:36 pm

Trump 'worried about Brexit impact on US jobs'

Source reveals apparent U-turn by US president in talks with EU leaders, having previously said Brexit is ‘wonderful thing’

Donald Trump is said to have told European Union leaders he is worried Americans may lose jobs as a result of Britain leaving the EU, in what would amount to an extraordinary U-turn by the US president.

An EU source said Trump spoke of the risks to the global economy posed by Brexit during a 45-minute meeting in Brussels with Donald Tusk and Jean-Claude Juncker, presidents of the European council and European commission respectively.

“Russia, Ukraine and Brexit were covered during the tête-à-tête”, the EU source said. “On Brexit, US expressed concern that jobs in the US would be lost because of Brexit.”

Further details of Trump’s comments were not immediately available but the claim raises questions about whether he still believes the UK made the right decision in the EU referendum last June.

The president was a cheerleader for Brexit, describing June’s voteas a “beautiful, beautiful thing”. After meeting Theresa May at the White House earlier this year, he claimed Brexit would be a “wonderful thing” for Britain.

He also suggested in the past that other countries might follow Britain out of the 28-nation bloc, although in recent weeks he has publicly revised that view, claiming the EU has been doing a “better job” of late.

Those who campaigned for Brexit took succour from Trump’s consistent claims that he would reward the UK’s decision to leave the EU with a swift free trade deal.

EU officials, however, believe that since taking office he has come to a greater appreciation of the value of European integration to the US, whose business leaders have generally supported the way single market rules offer efficiencies for exporters.

It was even claimed by unnamed US officials recently that Britain had been pushed behind the EU in the queue to strike a free trade deal.

More...

Look for some one else to blame for America's job losses.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6462  Postby SafeAsMilk » May 26, 2017 2:45 pm

Mike_L wrote:
OlivierK wrote:There's no bro hug, Trump shoves him out of the way to get to the front of the pack, then talks to the woman to his left while ignoring him completely.

It's just video of an asshole being an asshole, which in Trump's cases is admittedly pretty far from news.

Quite so. No "bro hug" at all. Trump doesn't even look at the man, who is just an obstacle between Trump and the front row position. There's no smile from Trump, no friendly exchange... just a self-satisfied straightening of his jacket, as if to say, "So there!"

Look at Trump's arm as he pulls away, it was clearly around back of the guy as he grabbed him in the front (do you usually put your arm around back of someone when you're shoving them out of the way?), the guy's arm is put around him in response. Are you guys fucking blind? Or does it not matter if you blather bullshit so long as it's about Trump? As I said, awkward as fuck, and yeah he's an obnoxious twat for not even looking at the guy, but it's obvious he isn't shoving him. This is the kind of stupid shit that reinforces his supporter's belief that the press will frame anything he does to make him look worse than he actually does.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6463  Postby NuclMan » May 26, 2017 2:57 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Mike_L wrote:
OlivierK wrote:There's no bro hug, Trump shoves him out of the way to get to the front of the pack, then talks to the woman to his left while ignoring him completely.

It's just video of an asshole being an asshole, which in Trump's cases is admittedly pretty far from news.

Quite so. No "bro hug" at all. Trump doesn't even look at the man, who is just an obstacle between Trump and the front row position. There's no smile from Trump, no friendly exchange... just a self-satisfied straightening of his jacket, as if to say, "So there!"

Look at Trump's arm as he pulls away, it was clearly around back of the guy as he grabbed him in the front (do you usually put your arm around back of someone when you're shoving them out of the way?), the guy's arm is put around him in response. Are you guys fucking blind? Or does it not matter if you blather bullshit so long as it's about Trump? As I said, awkward as fuck, and yeah he's an obnoxious twat for not even looking at the guy, but it's obvious he isn't shoving him. This is the kind of stupid shit that reinforces his supporter's belief that the press will frame anything he does to make him look worse than he actually does.

All of :this:, but especially the bolded bit.
NuclMan

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6464  Postby felltoearth » May 26, 2017 3:19 pm

I don't even know why it's a thing. There are so many other moronic things why focus on this?
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6465  Postby NuclMan » May 26, 2017 4:15 pm

felltoearth wrote:I don't even know why it's a thing. There are so many other moronic things why focus on this?

It should be a thing insofar as evidence of the press making up the news. Anyone heard of the PMs office agreeing with the RT story? He sure didn't appear "slighted" in any way,,,
NuclMan

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6466  Postby Willie71 » May 26, 2017 5:50 pm

Lee Camp on Trump in Saudi Arabia and the bizarre way CNN covered the trip. Trump is learning that Muslims are people too, while selling them billions in arms to kill other Muslims.

We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6467  Postby felltoearth » May 26, 2017 6:55 pm

NuclMan wrote:
felltoearth wrote:I don't even know why it's a thing. There are so many other moronic things why focus on this?

It should be a thing insofar as evidence of the press making up the news. Anyone heard of the PMs office agreeing with the RT story? He sure didn't appear "slighted" in any way,,,

Whatever. I would think that Donald "(f)art of the deal" Trump thinking he can cut a trade deal with Germany would be enough to show what a stooge he is.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6468  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 26, 2017 10:51 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Mike_L wrote:

Look at Trump's arm as he pulls away, it was clearly around back of the guy as he grabbed him in the front (do you usually put your arm around back of someone when you're shoving them out of the way?),

I do when I try to push someone away, while simoultaneously using his body to pull myself forward.
More-over it's not clear at all. I can't see Trumps arm until he's already moving past the PM, at which point its down at his side.
Also, as others point out, he completely ignores the PM.

SafeAsMilk wrote: the guy's arm is put around him in response. Are you guys fucking blind? Or does it not matter if you blather bullshit so long as it's about Trump?

No, we just have a different interpetation of the limited footage we've seen.

SafeAsMilk wrote: As I said, awkward as fuck, and yeah he's an obnoxious twat for not even looking at the guy, but it's obvious he isn't shoving him.

Exactly how is it obvious? Because it isn't to me.
I can see Trump physically pushing with his right hand on the left shoulder of the PM, pushing him back and to the side.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6469  Postby SafeAsMilk » May 26, 2017 11:47 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Mike_L wrote:

Look at Trump's arm as he pulls away, it was clearly around back of the guy as he grabbed him in the front (do you usually put your arm around back of someone when you're shoving them out of the way?),

I do when I try to push someone away, while simoultaneously using his body to pull myself forward.

That makes absolutely no sense. How would having your hand behind them help you with that in any way?

More-over it's not clear at all. I can't see Trumps arm until he's already moving past the PM, at which point its down at his side.

Right, the PM's arm got underneath Trump's while it was down at his side. Watch the video again.

Which I addressed in both my posts. While he doesn't meet eyes with the PM, the PM is smiling, because Trump is trying to give him a tough bro hug. Do you smile at a guy who's trying to shove you out of the way?

SafeAsMilk wrote: the guy's arm is put around him in response. Are you guys fucking blind? Or does it not matter if you blather bullshit so long as it's about Trump?

Watch their arms, watch the PM's face. It tells you everything. Why would you smile at the guy who just shoved you out of the way?

SafeAsMilk wrote: As I said, awkward as fuck, and yeah he's an obnoxious twat for not even looking at the guy, but it's obvious he isn't shoving him.

I can see Trump physically pushing with his right hand on the left shoulder of the PM, pushing him back and to the side.

Right, so when someone grabs the PM's shoulder he would just stay stock-still, not turning towards Trump and in the direction you think Trump is shoving him?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6470  Postby Alan C » May 27, 2017 1:47 am

Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#6471  Postby CdesignProponentsist » May 27, 2017 5:15 am

Add to that 3 more undisclosed communications with Russian officials.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-t ... SKBN18N018

It is becoming harder and harder for him to claim it slipped his mind.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6472  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 27, 2017 7:32 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Mike_L wrote:

That makes absolutely no sense. How would having your hand behind them help you with that in any way?

By pulling on him from behind I can both drag the person out of the way while pulling myself forward.

SafeAsMilk wrote:

Right, the PM's arm got underneath Trump's while it was down at his side. Watch the video again.

I have, several times.

SafeAsMilk wrote:

Which I addressed in both my posts. While he doesn't meet eyes with the PM, the PM is smiling, because Trump is trying to give him a tough bro hug.

How do you know that's the reason he's smiling?

SafeAsMilk wrote: Do you smile at a guy who's trying to shove you out of the way?

If I don't want to cause a scene while being photographed by the world press? Yes.

SafeAsMilk wrote:

Watch their arms, watch the PM's face. It tells you everything. Why would you smile at the guy who just shoved you out of the way?

I just gave an explanation.

SafeAsMilk wrote:

Right, so when someone grabs the PM's shoulder he would just stay stock-still, not turning towards Trump and in the direction you think Trump is shoving him?

But he wasn't just turning to Trump. Trump physically pulls him to the side.
Look, I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong. It could very well be that Trump was trying to give a bro-hug while simoultaneously ignoring the person he's hugging and moving in front of them. From the images we have, it's not all that clear to me.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6473  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 27, 2017 8:33 am

He does not like the Germans.

G7 summit: Donald Trump calls Germans 'bad, very bad' and vows to curb foreign car imports

'Look at the millions of cars they sell in the US. Terrible. We will stop this,' Mr Trump said

Donald Trump has attacked Germans for being “bad, very bad” and vowed to limit US car imports from the country.

At a meeting with European Union leaders in Brussels on Thursday Mr Trump reportedly said: “Look at the millions of cars they sell in the US. Terrible. We will stop this,” German news magazine Der Spiegel reported, citing people who attended the talks.

Mr Trump has repeatedly criticised Germany's large trade surplus with the US, which he said hurts US manufacturers. In January, he threatened to hit German car imports with a 35 per cent tax.

“If you go down Fifth Avenue everyone has a Mercedes Benz in front of his house,” he told Germany’s Bild newspaper in January.

"I would tell BMW that if you are building a factory in Mexico and plan to sell cars to the USA, without a 35 per cent tax, then you can forget that," Mr Trump said.

“How many Chevrolets do you see in Germany? Not very many, maybe none at all … it’s a one-way street.”

More...

Says an idiot that does not believe in climate change.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6474  Postby Agi Hammerthief » May 27, 2017 9:06 am

maybe american cars are just shit?
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#6475  Postby Animavore » May 27, 2017 9:14 am

I wouldn't say shit, but obnoxiously uneconomical and the idea of making greener cars seems lost on them.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6476  Postby Agi Hammerthief » May 27, 2017 9:42 am

Animavore wrote:I wouldn't say shit, but obnoxiously uneconomical and the idea of making greener cars seems lost on them.

Maybe someone needs to take The Donald to a German gas station and point at the price.
" :this: will get you about a fourth of a gallon. How often would you want to stop and refill?"
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#6477  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 27, 2017 10:06 am

Just refilling a Chevvy almost needs a mortgage.

Anyway who would drive this in Europe (I have seen a couple here) :shock: .

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6478  Postby proudfootz » May 27, 2017 10:17 am

NuclMan wrote:

If the video came from RT, there's no reason to suppose this really happened. Because reasons.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6479  Postby crank » May 27, 2017 10:22 am

That look is probably one of the most eloquent statements made by any pope.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#6480  Postby crank » May 27, 2017 10:35 am

DoctorE wrote::roll:

Looking at Trumps expressions and body language suggests to me he is frantically attempting to mask how utterly outclassed, how utterly out-of-place, he is in a meeting of these leaders. FFS, he looks like a grade schooler pushing his way to the front of the cafeteria line, he's preening and then looking for his mates to give him props for how smooth his moves were. We're going to have to change the name of the country, to the United States of Mortification.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs